Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lol at fanboys saying that it wasn't marketed at 4k and 60fps when those were put on huge emphasis twice (three times?) as a paid and designed live action commercial during the video game awards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yep this tweet right here

https://twitter.com/MrPhilHarrison/status/1181739544783097858

"All games at launch support 4K". Launch title RDR2 runs at 1440p, upscaled to 4k for the stream. And then there's this deleted tweet:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shadow puppet of a posted:

All the shocked "borderlands runs at 30fps? wtf" posts have been removed from the front page of r/Stadia.

You arent allowed to point out how choppy the emperor's new clothes looks.

This is a healthy, console with a long life a head of it.

:lol: it also seems like they've set their automod to delete any links to twitter

do not expose yourself to contradictory opinions! stay inside the hugbox!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Scott Forstall posted:

NO DOWNLOADING UPDATES!*

*because they aren't there to begin with

Or perpetual downloading of updates so that way you can always have the feeling of waiting for a patch to install before you play your game.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The future is so bright... I gotta wear shades. *puts on smashed and scuffed gas station knockoff Affliction-branded sunglasses from 2006*

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 17, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
:cool: Post

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Why are Sony and Nintendo working with Microsoft instead of Google to provide game streaming? (self.Stadia)
submitted 22 hours ago by GanonZD

In a certain sense, I cannot completely understand why Sony and Nintendo, instead of working with their main (friendly!) competitor Microsoft, do not try to embrace Google for a mutual partnership. Sony's and Nintendo's streaming services could very well have functioned as sub-services of Stadia, just like how Uplay+ will. Since they have chosen the alternative, working with Microsoft, the result is that there is now an extra, directly competing player on the streaming market. Why?

Personally, my own best guess is that Sony and Nintendo want to go to great lengths to keep the market the way it is now, rather than having another potential competitor to eat up the market; they do not believe there is “room” in the market for another platform. But this doesn’t seem like a satisfactory explanation to me, since Google is one of the very few companies with the server capacity for providing reliable, worldwide game streaming, the others being Microsoft and Amazon (as others have pointed out in here). Therefore, it is hard to see how the game streaming market can avoid involving Google, either through Google’s own service or through other services using Google’s network.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

Darth-Taterr -2 points 3 days ago

When Stadia Base is available and there are Demos to play for no money at all to just try it. This is Googles secret sauce. People will try the service and see how well it works. That is when it will grow exponentially. Will there still be NEVER GOOGLERS who will not try it or use it, absolutely. But when Stadia offers something that no other platform can deliver, this is when they will come begging and waiting at their mailboxes for their controllers. They will hide in their mothers dark basements where they live and rejoice in the power of Stadia.
So it is written, so it shall be done.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wait, is Stadia only for the people who live in their mother's basement? I think it's time for that poster to get a place of his own. He's starting to go a little stir-crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A reminder that Google, a company which has an effective monopoly in the advertising technology space outside of China, is just now creating their first data management platforms for advertising clients while Adobe and Microsoft have been doing it for years.

Why would you ever think theyd be anything less than a day late and a feature short on products outside their wheelhouse

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You'd think the advertising genius Google would include itself.

Go ahead and google 'destiny 2 platforms' then have a laugh. I will cry as I remember that 130 that I could have spent on beer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wait what

this is at the ms/sony/nintendo one

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stadia is for exactly two groups of people:

1 - People with active paid-for monthly print subscriptions to T3 Magazine and its ilk of 'enthusiast' broad spectrum consumer tech and who used to own a Sony CLIÉ electronic personal organizer and would demo it to any gathering of friends, family or workmates at the drop of a full brimmed hat.

2 - Brazillians who will gladly play a slideshow version of a AAA game as long as they don't have to pay a 400% import duty on hardware and who don't have on the near horizon a cousin combing back from a trip to disney world with 5 grey market consoles and 5 4K televisions in their luggage.

Anyone aside from those two exact groups will never want anything to do with 2019's incarnation of the DOA GFWL service where its grave is already dug at launch. With the bad news getting turned out daily:

quote:

In early 2018, top executives at Alphabet debated whether the company should leave the public cloud business, but eventually set a goal of becoming a top-two player by 2023, according to a report from The Information on Tuesday. From a report: If the company fails to achieve this goal, some staffers reportedly believe that Alphabet could withdraw from the market completely.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

With the bad news getting turned out daily:

lol what the gently caress

"If we don't become the absolute top dominating company in this market we might as well just give up. Those are our only two choices."

who the gently caress does that

google

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"If we don't become the absolute top dominating company in this market we might as well just give up. Those are our only two choices."

google

We make good money from this but not enough money!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If that was the attitude at Microsoft we wouldn't have had the XBox 360, but instead they had Steve Ballmer and he decided "we have deep pockets and we are going to win" . Company founders have the stamina for a long fight that shareholders never will. Mind you it cost them elsewhere in the consumer space (like never getting phones right for over ten years).

But lol just lol if you think Larry and Sergey care about cloud gaming. They were checked out years before their recent exit and Pichai nearly took them back into China knowing it would threaten their trade secrets.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 18, 2019

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Just scrolling that Stadia sub-reddit is great right now, going bottom to top it's there's a hilarious line of posts going from "who wants to come around and play BL3!" that evolves into "Why can't I get local co-op to work?" then finally "Announcement: Borderlands 3 does not support local co-op on Stadia"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
No local coop? That can't be right. Surely all those teraflops could handle a little bit of local coop.

quote:

Available December 18, Ghost Recon Breakpoint for Stadia includes Stream Connect, a feature that makes team coordination in Ghost Recon Breakpoint much easier thanks to the fact that you see what your teammates see by streaming multiple viewpoints into a single screen.

Many games have become so complex that the utilization of split-screen technology has declined because rendering two or more scenes at the same time is too taxing on consoles. Because Stadia resides in the cloud, there aren't the same challenges you’d have on a local machine, and you can see multiple screens without any performance penalties.

This feature is particularly exciting in Ghost Recon, as you can monitor the screens of up to three teammates, enhancing your gaming experience and making the Stadia version of Ghost Recon the best way to play!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

google

I keep saying this but Google as a business is a tech monopoly floundering to cash in on its name and simultaneously delivering nothing of value while burning their associated goodwill in the market.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Okay, so they feature-locked the Stadia version back in late October but it still took 7+ weeks beyond all that work to get it up and running on the servers, barely making the end of the 2019 deadline promise they'd made to Google. Ironically, some of that patch content is seasonal Halloween stuff which is now unavailable to Stadia players, since it ended December 5th. Maybe next year.

At least they can get the current holiday event which is just a bunch of Shift codes you claim each day for stuff. That is, if it works.

Also LOL at them selling the expensive Super Deluxe version that includes the season pass, when the first new DLC campaign launches on all platforms this week except Stadia.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

tater_salad posted:

You'd think the advertising genius Google would include itself.

Go ahead and google 'destiny 2 platforms' then have a laugh. I will cry as I remember that 130 that I could have spent on beer.

Funnily enough, Bing gets it right

That Ghost Recon Breakpoint feature is a neat addition, I can't think of an easy way to do it without game streaming or worse local performance. Too bad Breakpoint's terrible, but it's nice that someone's trying.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ubi will spend a lot longer turning Breakpoint around than Google will bother with Stadia.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stux posted:

wait what

this is at the ms/sony/nintendo one
Sony has a partnership with Microsoft to "explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services".

Nintendo doesn't have any formal streaming plans themselves, but has a very cordial relationship with Microsoft, as seen in partnerships with Minecraft and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. There are a couple of cloud-rental games available on the eShop in Japan (Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, specifically) but these appear to be hosted by a Taiwan-based service called Ubitus GameCloud.

:eng101:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Kins posted:

Sony has a partnership with Microsoft to "explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services".

Nintendo doesn't have any formal streaming plans themselves, but has a very cordial relationship with Microsoft, as seen in partnerships with Minecraft and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. There are a couple of cloud-rental games available on the eShop in Japan (Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, specifically) but these appear to be hosted by a Taiwan-based service called Ubitus GameCloud.

:eng101:

oh so its just "we've put ps now on azure because its cheaper or whatever"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yes. But the platform wars have broken people’s brains so badly that they can’t imagine why their corporate proxies don’t hate each other as much as the warriors hate each other.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stux posted:

oh so its just "we've put ps now on azure because its cheaper or whatever"

or "we get a deal on azure and they get a deal on blu-ray so we don't have to pay each other anything but it's still on the books so it doesn't look like anything untoward w/r/t anti-compete stuff"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I doubt Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung Electronics would be very fond of that deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The value of sony's chunk of blu-ray would be lickspittle compared to the cloud contract.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

or "we get a deal on azure and they get a deal on blu-ray so we don't have to pay each other anything but it's still on the books so it doesn't look like anything untoward w/r/t anti-compete stuff"

What microsoft gets out of Sony using Azure is Sony using Azure.

Video games is $4 billion a quarter for microsoft's revenue. Cloud computing is already twice that. MS as a company operates at an entire order of magnitude higher than Sony. Fundamentally, it does not matter to MS as a whole whether they win the next generation of console wars. What does matter to them is competing against Amazon for the cloud market.

Microsoft would quite literally set their entire video games business on fire if they knew it would make them dominant in cloud computing 5 years from now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

Microsoft would quite literally set their entire video games business on fire if they knew it would make them dominant in cloud computing 5 years from now.
Would? lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsofts Cloud division returns double the revenue of Googles entire non-advertising business. As noted above Microsoft would absolutely execute the entire gaming division if it took out amazon.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

I keep saying this but Google as a business is a tech monopoly floundering to cash in on its name and simultaneously delivering nothing of value while burning their associated goodwill in the market.

And I'm going to have to disagree with you. Google is a marketing company that remembers being a tech company and still pretends to be one. And it's pretty close to being a marketing monopoly.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Ah yes google's goodwill by firing employees that try to unionize.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Celexi posted:

Ah yes google's goodwill by firing employees that try to unionize.

they said "goodwill in the market" which does not contradict with being anti union, in fact it creates a venn diagram of a circle

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol, Borderlands 3 on Stadia doesn't even have local co-op, so people are playing on separate screens in the same room by buying two copies of the game and using double the internet bandwidth. That's for two people. Imagine if four people in the same room want to play.

Stadia is SO MUCH CHEAPER than just buying a console!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

...! posted:

lol, Borderlands 3 on Stadia doesn't even have local co-op, so people are playing on separate screens in the same room by buying two copies of the game and using double the internet bandwidth. That's for two people. Imagine if four people in the same room want to play.

To be fair you really don't want to play BL3 local co-op, it runs like poo poo.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

...! posted:

Wow, there’s actually a pro-Stadia post on r/stadia where they happily admit that’s the case.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I mean Google is an advertising company but you can view their side projects as a way to keep their engineering pool occupied rather than move elsewhere

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Their side projects are to spend their $50 billion in cash so they won't have to pay taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

American McGay posted:

Their side projects are to spend their $50 billion in cash so they won't have to pay taxes.

:same: