Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

symbolic posted:

Uhhhhh...only the Windgrace deck I've posted about, nowhere near competitive and I can't even begin to know the power level since I dunno how that's calculated. :v:

Although that does raise the question that if I wanted to start building another deck, what would be the best fit for someone only having been playing for a few months. Improving another precon that I happen to like?

People have all sorts of weird ideas about power level like budget or how many older cards you run but I personally prefer “on which turn can your deck typically threaten a victory unmolested.”

So for example, my Atraxa deck can win on T1 or 2 off of flash very easily and runs approx. 20 of the appropriate tutors to do so so it’s a 10.

My Daretti deck can very comfortably go off around T3-T4, so it’s a 8-9

Elfball can very easily overrun the entire table on T6, meaning I’m threatening on T5, so I put it at a 6-7

Brudiclad and Edgar Vamps don’t really have any combos, so if I win it’s by clogging the board and doing like 150 damage to the table somehow, which requires setup and I typically don’t have anything bug before then, so we’re looking at a T8-T9 kill, putting them at like 5.

Below that I really feel like any EDH deck can win past T10+ so I don’t bother tracking.

It’s not a perfect metric, especially if you’re like a staxxx/Control player who wants the game to go on forever before winning, but at that point I shift the goal posts to “how many turns before I’m in control of the game and playing Archenemy”

TLDR:
Winning on
T1-2: 10
3-4: 9
5-6: 8-7
7-8: 6-5
9-10: 4-3
10+: Jank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That's also how I learned to judge decks, assuming nothing too expected counters you at what turn can you reliably lock down games. The killing blow can be later but without (rare) answers the game is yours by that point.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Here are my casual edh decks, which are the only decks I have. Winning is less important to me than making screwball board states. In order of oldest (worst) to newest (also worst):

1) Slimefoot The Stowaway. Doesn’t ever go off because it’s too slow. I don’t try to win with it, I just try to set new personal best records of number of saprolings generated. It will probably be much better once I pull the trigger on a tcgplayer order with a bunch of populate cards. It’s mostly a reaction to my first booster after a 20+ year hiatus having slimefoot in it, and my only deck surviving from my 90s days being a green/white fallen empires thallid deck.

2) krenko mob boss - make lots of goblins, punch people. Wins if everyone else is busy fighting over whose degenerate combo gets to go off. I’ve noticed 15 tokens is the spot at which everyone starts ganging up on me.

3) grenzo, dungeon warden - started as a liliana/chandra “prison girlfriends” theme deck, took all the planeswalkers out and loaded it with stuff that has extra casting costs. Generally loses as a result of negligible scry and ordering stuff in rakdos.

4) ramos, dragon engine - I want to get a door to nothingness combo off one of these days, but in reality ramos is basically “put 17 counters on him, fly over and KO people with commander damage.” Ramos is practically the only creature in it. As a bonus when I bring it out I offer people outside my core playgroup the choice of me putting marchesa the black rose or urza academy headmaster in it. To date urza has never done anything useful. Has naked singularity in it. I printed large 8.5x11 copies of naked singularity with the oracle text on it because no one knows what the gently caress is going on when that comes out.

5) arcades the strategist - has all five circles of protection and other “you children play amongst yourself” crap in it. Does nothing until it wins with felidar sovereign and zuran orb combo. I only play it if everyone else is playing fast and the other players say it’s OK. Two tarpit decks in a 4 player FFA is insufferable.

6) aurelia the warleader - make shitloads of angels, attack twice per turn, get helm of the host out, win. This is the only infinite combo deck I have. Fun fact: I have lost while making infinite angels, attacking infinite times, and gaining infinite life every turn because opponent had made themselves and everything else they have immune to white with mechanics I forget. There was also a phyrexian unlife there and I was out of enchantment removal.

7) pramikon the stupid wall that everyone hates - LGS went “pay $5 on top of your c19 purchase and enter our six week league where you get to change out five cards in your precon each week.” EVERYONE BOUGHT MYSTIC INTELLECT and so the games were all universally awful and boring stallfests. The one guy who bought the populate deck won all of his games, and the rest of us were just trying to forfeit until the end so we could get our $4 booster as a consolation prize. Some people didn’t even bother trying to get six games recorded and said “$5 isn’t worth this poo poo.”

8) When christmas is over and I can spend money on myself again I’ll be buying a bunch of cards to make a version of that general jarkeld deck that causes everyone to not know how combat works anymore.

xarph fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 17, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I honestly couldn't tell you how strong any of these are, but I have fun with them at least and they never feel useless.

Elesh Norn (Artifacts): Generally I want to swarm the table with buffed up Myr and start cracking heads.

Edgar Markov (Aggro): Get a bunch of vamps out and start swinging.

The Ur-Dragon (Big boys): A few win cons. Descent of Dragon+Karthus. Commander kill with Ur-Dragon. Skithiryx and infect tokens.

Daxos The Returned (Enchantments): I generally want to build a fort and start using my pumped spirit tokens to get rid of players.

Lazhav, Dimir Mastermind: This is just a stupid little deck that copies things or steals them with a secondary mill mechanic.

Meren of Clan Nel Toth (Reanimate): Play Fleshbag mararuder or equivalent as much as possible to win through Revel In Riches OR getting out some big nasties from the graveyard.

Rakdos, The Showstopper: The Commander's Quarters list. It's a ton of fun.

Commander Sissay (Humans/Legends): Nothing too clever. Get some cool humans out with synergy and overwhelm.

Works in progress

K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth (Lifegain)

Atraxa (+1/+1 tokens)

Archangel Avacyn: Get out Avacyn, give her deathtouch, flip to wipe the board. That's kinda it. this is just a stupid deck for fun.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

xarph posted:

7) pramikon the stupid wall that everyone hates - LGS went “pay $5 on top of your c19 purchase and enter our six week league where you get to change out five cards in your precon each week.” EVERYONE BOUGHT MYSTIC INTELLECT and so the games were all universally awful and boring stallfests. The one guy who bought the populate deck won all of his games, and the rest of us were just trying to forfeit until the end so we could get our $4 booster as a consolation prize. Some people didn’t even bother trying to get six games recorded and said “$5 isn’t worth this poo poo.”

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bust Rodd posted:

People have all sorts of weird ideas about power level like budget or how many older cards you run but I personally prefer “on which turn can your deck typically threaten a victory unmolested.”

So for example, my Atraxa deck can win on T1 or 2 off of flash very easily and runs approx. 20 of the appropriate tutors to do so so it’s a 10.

My Daretti deck can very comfortably go off around T3-T4, so it’s a 8-9

Elfball can very easily overrun the entire table on T6, meaning I’m threatening on T5, so I put it at a 6-7

Brudiclad and Edgar Vamps don’t really have any combos, so if I win it’s by clogging the board and doing like 150 damage to the table somehow, which requires setup and I typically don’t have anything bug before then, so we’re looking at a T8-T9 kill, putting them at like 5.

Below that I really feel like any EDH deck can win past T10+ so I don’t bother tracking.

It’s not a perfect metric, especially if you’re like a staxxx/Control player who wants the game to go on forever before winning, but at that point I shift the goal posts to “how many turns before I’m in control of the game and playing Archenemy”

TLDR:
Winning on
T1-2: 10
3-4: 9
5-6: 8-7
7-8: 6-5
9-10: 4-3
10+: Jank

This is roughly my understanding of power levels outside of a specific meta. Turn counts make the most sense to gauge power level. Even in a casual meta, you can use the same scale, just +2 or 3 or 4 turns.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not gonna lie I thought having 8 EDH decks was a lot but some of you rocking 20+ decks have me looking at my collection like... how?

I can't speak for how others do it, but I have a few things going for me:

1) Two of the seven folks I play with most often don't have collections of their own but love to play. They just borrow decks from me or a couple of other folks who have plenty of decks to go around. Their play lets me see tests of more decks than I would have time to test just on my own, so I can justify having a ton of decks built at once.

2) My meta is very budget-friendly. I don't need to invest $200+ in a deck for it to be worth keeping around. My trashiest deck (Hallar, probably) is worth under $50 but wins about a third of the games it plays. If I were playing cEDH I wouldn't waste my time with such a funky deck, but cEDH is functionally a different format since most players know enough to either seek it or avoid it.

3) I make a point to flip money cards. If something gets above $20, I'll sell it or trade it for a short stack of more moderate cards. For example, I had a Battlebond Mycosynth Lattice sitting around which I could have used in a deck, but its value got up high enough that I flipped it for enough store credit to buy a fuckload of good lands and commander staples.

4) I only play commander. Some cards are good in standard or other formats but are hot garbage in commander, so they get shipped off for trades too. I play in the occasional draft and get new cards that way, and I'm choosy about what I keep after that. My collection is only commander-playable cards and money cards I might be holding onto to wait for the price to go up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Infinite Karma posted:

I am consistently baffled at how people whose literal job it is to understand Magic don't know the first loving thing about Magic. I figured out how to improve my decks over time back in 1995 as a literal child. It doesn't matter if I "like" building decks with 55 mana sources, if it doesn't work, the deck gets adjusted. I guess you have to be a really elite, competitive player to figure that out?

What killed me the most about Verhey's whole giant mana base spiel is that it is completely based around the philosophy of "Why play poo poo? The board is just going to get wiped." It all kind of dawned on me watching that panel on why he, Sheldon, and all the old guard are actually poo poo at EDH. They don't play the game to win. They play the game not to lose. All the durdley bullshit they espouse to simultaneously love and fear makes waaaaay more sense when taken in that context.

And it makes the game loving unbearable.

Sheldon's whole group is in my area. I'm just glad I've never actually had to play with them because it would be difficult to not just vomit my Najeela deck all over them to prove a point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

As incomprehensible as you and I and pretty much everyone else posting in this thread may find that style of play, it unfortunately seems like that's what the core audience of commander players, if not magic players as a whole, really is. A few wizards employees have talked before about how kitchen table play made up a bigger portion of their audience than any constructed format, so this is kind of along the same lines.

They don't interact with the online magic community, so we don't get to see them.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

AlternateNu posted:

What killed me the most about Verhey's whole giant mana base spiel is that it is completely based around the philosophy of "Why play poo poo? The board is just going to get wiped." It all kind of dawned on me watching that panel on why he, Sheldon, and all the old guard are actually poo poo at EDH. They don't play the game to win. They play the game not to lose. All the durdley bullshit they espouse to simultaneously love and fear makes waaaaay more sense when taken in that context.

Sheldon's whole group is in my area. I'm just glad I've never actually had to play with them because it would be difficult to not just vomit my Najeela deck all over them to prove a point.
Maybe it's because I really started to understand Magic in the "Black Summer" when Necropotence and Nevinyrral's Disks and Stasis were everywhere, but there's always been a very easy to understand principle in the game - if you overcommit to the board, you're vulnerable to getting wiped. Hold back enough gas so you can keep going if someone throws out a sweeper. Decide if and when you're going to commit to a risky plan, and actually know what the risks and benefits are. Multiplayer complicates that because there are so many answers, but it's a player skill issue as much as a deckbuilding issue.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

My EDH decks are:

cEDH:

Najeela Tempo
Gitrog
Esper Bears in Cars
Yarok ETB
CST

and I'm currently building Opus Thief.

Non-cEDH

Alela, Faeries in Cars (basically a tuned down bears in cars, focused more on dealing with battlecruiser boards)
Jhoira Storm
Anafenza Exile Tribal
Torbran Thorns

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT
Seton, Krosan Protector (8.5/10)
An all-in combo list. Extremely fast, but slightly soft to disruption (sometimes it can draw enough cards to have resilience). Can pretty quickly generate infinite Mana and/or craterhoof.

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden (8/10)
A toned-down list that still includes Doomsday. Runs no creatures with power greater than 2. Generally combos to win. On paper it looks like aristocrats, but generally goes all-in on the kill rather than playing a grindy game.

Brion Stoutarm (7/10)
Probably as strong as Boros can be (which is not that strong). Focused largely on playing low to the ground Mana rocks, control pieces, and cards which are capable of instantly knocking a player out of the game, like Phyrexian Devourer.

Sygg, River Cutthroat (6.5/10)
Fun, creature-centric deck. Lots of ninjas, rogues,etb effects, and card draw. Meant to be a middle-of the road deck that is fair in most playgroups

Pir and Toothy (6.5/10)
Runs only cards which reference counters (the objects, not including counterspells). I.e. the only board wipe is Oblivion stone. This helps to limit the deck and make it slightly less easy to combo off while still being disgustingly synergistic when not interacted with. Fun and fair.

Pharika, God of Affliction (6/10)
Enchantress/Reanimator. Pharika is there to trigger constellation, occasionally exile cards, and not do much else. The power level of this deck is low outside of specific lines like Mikaeus and Woodfall Primus, but avoids tutors so that it has limited means of assembling that combo.

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser (5/10)
Mr. Play-Your-Deck. Very strong when there's no interaction, otherwise pretty middle of the road. Can play a slower aggro plan than Krenko, but the idea is really to pivot to playing other people's libraries as soon as you can assemble a token army.

Nicol Bolas (1/10)
White border tribal. You win the game by being ignored and then stealing someone's wincons or by fireballing the last opponent in the face on the turn before they are about to stomp you to death. Plays a lot of bad wraths from the starter sets.

There are multiple playgroups at my LGS. I'd say that these ratings are based on the people I'm most likely to play against on a given night.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Infinite Karma posted:

Maybe it's because I really started to understand Magic in the "Black Summer" when Necropotence and Nevinyrral's Disks and Stasis were everywhere, but there's always been a very easy to understand principle in the game - if you overcommit to the board, you're vulnerable to getting wiped. Hold back enough gas so you can keep going if someone throws out a sweeper. Decide if and when you're going to commit to a risky plan, and actually know what the risks and benefits are. Multiplayer complicates that because there are so many answers, but it's a player skill issue as much as a deckbuilding issue.

I don't know if you watched the video, but he's not doing risk assessment. He's literally going "I spend the first hour of the game doing absolutely nothing but ramping lands and leaning on other players to keep the board clean, and then after jerking it off until turn 12, I play overcosted haymakers and assume that nobody is going to have any cards left that do literally anything.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Toshimo posted:

I don't know if you watched the video, but he's not doing risk assessment. He's literally going "I spend the first hour of the game doing absolutely nothing but ramping lands and leaning on other players to keep the board clean, and then after jerking it off until turn 12, I play overcosted haymakers and assume that nobody is going to have any cards left that do literally anything.
100% agree, it's just an obviously stupid strategy that falls apart if anyone does something simple like play a game-winning threat on turn 6 to an empty board. (I watched the first half of the video and then skipped forward in disgust through the rest)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Infinite Karma posted:

100% agree, it's just an obviously stupid strategy that falls apart if anyone does something simple like play a game-winning threat on turn 6 to an empty board. (I watched the first half of the video and then skipped forward in disgust through the rest)

I hope you didn't miss this choice quote:

We have some very good mana rocks, like Lockets and Cluestones.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I hope you didn't miss this choice quote:

We have some very good mana rocks, like Lockets and Cluestones.

Was that Gavin? :psyduck:

No wonder the precons are so poo poo.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My current decks are:

Comp-lite

1) Teshar combo
Absurdly fun, low to the ground (highest CMC cards at 4 are teshar and KCI) and combos off in a dozen different ways. Lacks some protection pieces and optimization to truly push it to cedh level.

2) Marwyn elfball
Another combo deck trying to make infinite mana with Marwyn, draw into finale of devastation and vomit my hand on board to swing with buffed hasty dudes

Regular-ish

3) Tatyova lands
Lands value deck, looking to win by decking myself with repeated landfall or swing out with big land synergy threats. Stax subtheme with cards like storm cauldron, overburden and Mana vortex. Probably next on the chopping block to make room for new decks.

4) Yawgmoth aristocrats
Aristocrats with a sac outlet and draw engine in the command zone. Wins with looped death triggers or the super silly aetherflux/bolas citadel/ top combo. Mild lock effects like contamination and mindslicer, I should probably put some edicts back in.

Clownfiesta

5) Jhoira of the githu chaos
Based on suspending big mana symmetric game-changing effects and protecting the resolution with counterspells. Wins when everyone scoops because they'd rather start a new game instead of resolving thieve's auction after they've already been scrambleverse'd.

Budget, <1$ cards only

6) Tuvasa enchantress
Play enchantments for value, hate on artifacts, swing with buffed commander.

7) r/b chainer reanimate
Still on order, gameplan is to pitch creatures and play them, some madness and evoke synergy. One win con is syr kondrad or fate unraveler and recurring magus of the wheel, I guess? Or swinging in with haste.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shortest Path posted:

Was that Gavin? :psyduck:

No wonder the precons are so poo poo.

Sheldon, but unfortunately he's on the official payroll now and Gavin spent 2 minutes talking about how great they are as a late game topdeck. Just tap 7 mana do Divination, it's cool. Nobody is doing anything anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok gang, I’m bored as gently caress on Christmas Vacation so let’s do this:

Post all your decks! I want to know what kind of EDH players we have in the thread!

Ok yeah I'm late but I'm in

Omnath Locus of Mana - my second commander, the only deck I've never torn apart. It's not remotely optimized and I'm fine with that, it being a fat pile of jank that can sometimes murder a table is why I love it.

Krenko Mob Boss - my first commander, I dismantled and rebuilt it ages ago and it's stayed together since then. This one is just as special to me as Omnath because the Krenko was the foil card in my first deck, that I bought the day I got hired at the shop

Vorel of the Hull Clade: UG +1/+1 counters nonsense. This is the one I'm actively working on tuning up rn, if I can't get it where I want it I'll probably dismantle it to make another UG deck of some kind

Gitrog Monster: this is the cEDH one, I'm goldfishing it until I have the combos cold before j try playing it in real games but I busted it out at the usual table last week and ended up playing nuclear chicken

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AlternateNu posted:

There is an incredibly huge amount of people who play to see dumb things happen at the table and tbh I'm one of them. I don't mind losing, as long as I got to be involved in some goofy bullshit. Winning is a bonus.

Also while I'm here: help me pick a new commander thread. I'm tired of UG and BG ramp and I need a change of pace.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Try bears in cars. It uses hatebears to make your opponents stop doing things, then because they can't do things, you get to run them over with vehicles like untethered express and the Weatherlight.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok gang, I’m bored as gently caress on Christmas Vacation so let’s do this:

Post all your decks! I want to know what kind of EDH players we have in the thread!

Thanks for posting this. Looking at lists that people play with a brief synopsis on how they play out has been enjoyable.

OgreNoah posted:

Feather (Fun for no one, even the person playing it)

Korvold, Fae-Cursed King (Sacrifice stuff)

Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Counters)

I've built my own Korvold deck - it was based off a list that was posted in this thread and yours looks very similar to it - it might even be it - thanks for posting by the way. I've only played it twice so far and love the way it plays out - except until someone casts Emrakul the Promised End.
I do like the look of the Prime Speaker deck, too.

As for my decks, in no particular order:
Feather - Make dudes, play cheap spells, turn dudes sideways, get the spells back. Rinse, repeat.
Korvold - sacrifice things for value
Teysa Karlov - Aristocrats
Zada, Hedron Grinder - based on a list by Balon from this thread. Go wide, get stupid.
Doran, the Siege Tower - I like big butts and I cannot lie
Edgar Markov - Swing for the fences with Vampire tribal
Ramirez di pietro - steal or copy stuff
Nekusar, the Mindrazer - troll discard/wheel deck
Meren of clan Nel Toth - Golgari Death value (side note: when playing against someone who has Lifeline on the table, this goes completely bonkers and just takes over. It's amazing and hilarious at the same time)
Lord of Tresserhorn - Torpor Orb-less zombie tribal
Arcades the Strategist - Bant walls

I have a Tajic deck that is based around equipment, soldiers and legendaries. Currently in pieces after I had to use a few bits in other decks, but have a few substitue cards to go in and make it better.
I've tinkered a little bit with an Iname, Death Aspect deck that's main win-con is either Mortal Combat, or Liliana's Contract - it's clunky as hell, but funny nonetheless.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There is an incredibly huge amount of people who play to see dumb things happen at the table and tbh I'm one of them. I don't mind losing, as long as I got to be involved in some goofy bullshit. Winning is a bonus.
This spoke to me, mainly because I'm all for people doing really, really dumb things, but at the same time, there are some nights where I want to play more than one game per night.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Post ur deks Toshimo

Smashimo post the egg

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My only decks right now are sadly barely modified precons. Windgrace and Ghired (but I prefer egg lady because I'm weird).

My goal is to do a Empire of the Sun deck using Dinosaurs and Dinosaur support cards, with either Zacama or Egg Lady as the commander depending on what I'm against.

Basically just a themed Ixalan Sun Empire Deck (still upset we don't have a 3 colour Huatli yet).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Glad you’re enjoying the Zada deck, Man_alive ! Have you made any changes to the list I had posted?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

berenzen posted:

Try bears in cars. It uses hatebears to make your opponents stop doing things, then because they can't do things, you get to run them over with vehicles like untethered express and the Weatherlight.

What's the commander dork

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've seen versions of Bears in Cars that use either Grand Arbiter Augustin IV or Tymna+Silas.

Here's a maximally tuned CEDH list from a few months ago: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bears-in-cars-2-fork-on-the-road-to-esper/

But you can scale it however you like to the power level of your playgroup and what cards you have in your collection.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's the commander dork

The original Circus Bears commander is Saram, the dwarf guy, because almost all the best bears are white anyway, but I’ve also seen a truly oppressive Gaddock Teeg build

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I've seen versions of Bears in Cars that use either Grand Arbiter Augustin IV or Tymna+Silas.

Here's a maximally tuned CEDH list from a few months ago: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bears-in-cars-2-fork-on-the-road-to-esper/

But you can scale it however you like to the power level of your playgroup and what cards you have in your collection.

new constraint: ~150 dollars or less, even a trimmed down version of this is coming in at 500+ and i know i dont have gently caress all for these cards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

new constraint: ~150 dollars or less, even a trimmed down version of this is coming in at 500+ and i know i dont have gently caress all for these cards

Pretty much all of the cost is in the lands and fast Mana and a couple of the more expensive stax pieces like chalice of the void which suck outside of cedh anyways. If you take that list and remove everything except the vehicles and creatures, you've got a good starting point that's well below a hundred dollars and you can fill out the manabase and counters/removal and more creatures with what you have in your collection.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Balon posted:

Glad you’re enjoying the Zada deck, Man_alive ! Have you made any changes to the list I had posted?

I think it's stayed pretty consistent with what you posted - aside from a couple of pieces I could not get my hands on.
My playgroup loves seeing it when I pull it out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My EDH decks:

Intet, the Dreamer: Normally I would say power level 7 or 8 just based on its contents and record. However, it's sort of a control/tempo deck so it can stand up against strong decks but is not super offensive. It cannot win quick. This was my first EDH deck. It's close to ten years old now; this deck predates Khans (Temur, etc.) when Intet was the only legend with those colors. We called it Ceta at the time, thank you very much. It's changed a lot, but at this point, it's basically just RUG goodstuff with a Dragon sub-theme (Atarka, World Render and Utvara Hellkite among others.). No infinite combos or literal "I win" buttons. Still, several de facto game enders (Time Stretch, Omniscience, Cyclonic Rift). Lots of removal to try and manage the table's threat level without looking too threatening. It was my only deck for a long time because it had all the money put into it so it was more competitive, though certainly not CEDH level. I do really love playing it, but sometimes I look wistfully at how much better legendary creatures are nowadays than they were so many years ago.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent: Power level unknown. A creatureless build with all sorts of things that mess with your opponents, but without locking them out of the game. It's sort of like a "Group Thug" deck rather than a prison deck. Things like Citadel of Pain, Tectonic Instability, Oppression to encourage them to use Xantcha. I only recently built it, and have not played the new creatureless iteration yet, but I am glad I finally built this because I wanted to make one the second I saw her.

Old decommissioned decks:

Eron, the Relentless (3 voltron), Zur the Enchanter (6 [way higher if I grabbed Back to Basics, as I was prone to do] voltron), Merieke Ri Berit (8 control), Silver Hivelord (7 aggro), Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon (5 (much higher two player, which I did a lot at this time) aggro), Karona the False God (1 guildmage tribal deck), Agros Kos (2 pauper). Also, Sisters of Stone Death Lyzolda, the Blood Witch and Lazav, Dimir Mastermind but those decks didn't last long.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My oldest deck is my Momir Vig, Simic Visionary and as much as I tune and overtune my decks, Momir is a trip because it’s not just a pile of staples or a list of specific combos, it’s just 99 cards that just work really well together. Every card in there has proven its worth a dozen times and it’s just wild how many different ways of winning the deck can crank out.

It’s also 85/100 foil, and factoring cards without foils, I’m only missing maybe $100 worth. My foil Gaea’s Cradle and Misty Rainforest and Judge Foil Survival are all cards I picked up for roughly 10% of their current value, but I just can’t imagine ever wanting to let them go.

(For the record my most common win condition is using palinchron to generate infinite mana, play any green creature to tutor for Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, then animate all my lands and attack with a bunch of 10,000/10,000 trampling lands)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I love this idea, but after goldfishing a few hands, I wish there was some engine tech to get artifacts into the graveyard to recur with the multiple cards that bring back artifacts. I found myself wasting a lot of triggers and wishing I had more interaction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Infinite Karma posted:

I love this idea, but after goldfishing a few hands, I wish there was some engine tech to get artifacts into the graveyard to recur with the multiple cards that bring back artifacts. I found myself wasting a lot of triggers and wishing I had more interaction.

Entomb puts anything in your graveyard

Lumengrid Warden
Mind Over Matter
Neurok Prodigy
Riddlesmith
Thirst for Knowledge

Here are 5 blue cards that put artifacts in your yard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i was going through my pile of legendaries and i forgot i had the UR experience counters guy, might put something together with him. no green, thats the most important bit.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

Entomb puts anything in your graveyard

Lumengrid Warden
Mind Over Matter
Neurok Prodigy
Riddlesmith
Thirst for Knowledge

Here are 5 blue cards that put artifacts in your yard.
Specifically, I want to sacrifice the artifacts I have in play. Stuff like Krark-clan Ironworks (but have it actually advance my gameplan). Even Lotus Petals and Lion's Eye Diamond are catching my eye for synergy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Infinite Karma posted:

Specifically, I want to sacrifice the artifacts I have in play. Stuff like Krark-clan Ironworks (but have it actually advance my gameplan). Even Lotus Petals and Lion's Eye Diamond are catching my eye for synergy.

Ok then you should meet your new best friend
Kuldotha Forgemaster

https://scryfall.com/card/td2/14/kuldotha-forgemaster

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So this is a really dumb rules question, but since I'm brewing a Teysa, Orzhov Scion budget-ish deck (aiming to keep it under $100 since I haven't really built any decks other than tweaking the Commander 2019 precons): Does sacrificing a token count as "putting a creature into a graveyard" for purposes of Teysa's ability? I assume yes because tokens are only eliminated once they enter a non-battlefield zone, but it also feels like you shouldn't be able to "put" a token into the graveyard, since it isn't a card.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 18, 2019

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
My main is a Muldrotha that runs a frankly ridiculous amount of Clone type cards, along with anything that lets me steal your deck. Also other similar effects (Helm of the Host, Mimic Vat etc.). I have a Biovisionary in there as a potential wincon, but mostly I’m just looking to mirror other people’s power back at them, and generate memorable games with lots of interaction. It plays different every game, because it entirely depends on what other people bring.

Other than that, I have a Slimefoot and a Feather. Slimefoot only ever seems to win if I give it Infect, and Feather usually gets shut down before I take out more than one opponent.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Arcturas posted:

So this is a really dumb rules question, but since I'm brewing a Teysa, Orzhov Scion budget-ish deck (aiming to keep it under $100 since I haven't really built any decks other than tweaking the Commander 2019 precons): Does sacrificing a token count as "putting a creature into a graveyard" for purposes of Teysa's ability? I assume yes because tokens are only eliminated once they enter a non-battlefield zone, but it also feels like you shouldn't be able to "put" a token into the graveyard, since it isn't a card.

Tokens go to the graveyard as do regular creatures, and are removed as a "state-based effect" when a player gets priority again. They stay in the graveyard long enough to trigger abilities, like the one of Soulcatchers' Aerie, before they are removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

midge posted:

Tokens go to the graveyard as do regular creatures, and are removed as a "state-based effect" when a player gets priority again. They stay in the graveyard long enough to trigger abilities, like the one of Soulcatchers' Aerie, before they are removed.

Awesome, thank you.

Also, a question about balancing lands and mana rocks: How many of each do you aim for, and do you drop lands to add rocks? I was thinking of 10-ish mana rocks (Sol Ring, Felwar Stone, Commander & Orzhov Signet, Talisman, the three 3-mana Orzhov rocks, Commander's Sphere, Mind Stone, and I guess the black & white diamonds), but that seems like too many if you're also dropping in 35-38 lands, particularly because at this price point a bunch of those mana rocks are 3-drops and I'd rather be playing my commander for three mana.