Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Dragon lure. There's a guy in a duck blind with a stinger missile just off camera.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
One thing I always wondered about those gas burn-offs on oil platforms, and I'm sorry if it's a bit off-topic for the thread... isn't it a waste? Isn't that a volume of gas that could be used for other purposes? Or is the volume small enough that it just wouldn't really matter if you funnelled it off to run generators or something?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PurpleXVI posted:

One thing I always wondered about those gas burn-offs on oil platforms, and I'm sorry if it's a bit off-topic for the thread... isn't it a waste? Isn't that a volume of gas that could be used for other purposes? Or is the volume small enough that it just wouldn't really matter if you funnelled it off to run generators or something?

Sheeeeiiiit. The oil industry burns off random poo poo constantly. No waste when you're making massive profit and hardly any actual regulation. (said as a person within visual distance of a whole bunch of refineries that are constantly burning poo poo.)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

My dad made the pipe work for a few of these. The flare stacks are always burning, think of it as a pilot light just in case something goes wrong and they need to dump whatever, they can't just eject it into the air so they dump it into a flare stack to burn off. The oil refinery and chemical plant near my home where I grew gets fined whenever the flares burn too much, it literally lights up the sky like an artificial sunset when they're really burning. the best thing is in the chemical plant and refinery at least they'll connect multiple plants to the same flare, they all dump into a reserve at the bottom of the stack. My dad asked the engineer there what happens if 2 plants dump at the same time, the answer was a shurg, they don't plan for that and just hope it doesn't happen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

Miniaturized and modularized LNG tech has cut down on a bit of flaring, but it's still a very specific intersection of economic to do based on scrubbing costs depending on the flavor of the well and shipping costs because LNG still isn't a very favorable energy density.

E. Not to mention a lot of regions with well LNG success stories have started flaring again because of the glut of cheap clean natural gas from NA shale processes.

Aramoro posted:

My dad made the pipe work for a few of these. The flare stacks are always burning, think of it as a pilot light just in case something goes wrong and they need to dump whatever, they can't just eject it into the air so they dump it into a flare stack to burn off. The oil refinery and chemical plant near my home where I grew gets fined whenever the flares burn too much, it literally lights up the sky like an artificial sunset when they're really burning. the best thing is in the chemical plant and refinery at least they'll connect multiple plants to the same flare, they all dump into a reserve at the bottom of the stack. My dad asked the engineer there what happens if 2 plants dump at the same time, the answer was a shurg, they don't plan for that and just hope it doesn't happen.
It's planned for but they still hope it doesn't happen. Passive pressure control kicks in at first at the reserve tank, then at the individual units and you start venting out relief valves or burst disks. These obviously bypass any flaring and are right in the middle of poo poo so it's how you end up on a CSB YouTube with the narrator saying things like "unexpected low lying flammable vapor cloud."

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 17, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PurpleXVI posted:

Gas is cheap and pipelines and refineries are expensive. It’s not always worth building the capacity to handle it.

Sometimes they only have to flare for a month at the start of operations or whatever.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Thank you for the replies, I figured it'd be something like that, it just not being economically viable.

The waste of it just bugs me on a fundamental level. Like there's gotta be a smarter way, somehow, somewhere.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

PurpleXVI posted:

Thank you for the replies, I figured it'd be something like that, it just not being economically viable.

The waste of it just bugs me on a fundamental level. Like there's gotta be a smarter way, somehow, somewhere.

Yes, but that would require making extraction and transformation companies responsible for their negative externalities, and they would prefer not to do that, so what can you do? :shrug:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Icemobile for pulling iceshacks circa 1956. I'll try to get some pictures but I believe the rear wheels are still in use on another ice truck.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

twistedmentat posted:

He got chemical burns on his wiener.

:stonklol:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Oh I love those types of fountains in office buildings/malls that are closer to ponds. You don't see that as much anymore, though. Someone designing that same space today would just put a Starbucks there.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The picture needs more backstory. The humor changes depending on if:

1. Some bystander found the sign and put it in the fountain to make a silly picture.
2. Building management put it there purposely, because someone realized there's no "don't walk in the fountain you dumbass" sign, and technically the bottom of the fountain is a both a "floor" and wet so they put the sign there as a real CYA.
3. Buidling management put it there purposely, because people were actually accidentally falling in.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Craptacular posted:

The picture needs more backstory. The humor changes depending on if:

1. Some bystander found the sign and put it in the fountain to make a silly picture.
2. Building management put it there purposely, because someone realized there's no "don't walk in the fountain you dumbass" sign, and technically the bottom of the fountain is a both a "floor" and wet so they put the sign there as a real CYA.
3. Buidling management put it there purposely, because people were actually accidentally falling in.

4. That's not a fountain

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

It's absolutely amazing the Soviets didn't realize the deathtrap they were creating, and the fact it was used for 20+ years worth of tanks. I think even the T-90s don't have a much better system.

They probably realized it but figured making a shorter tank with a smaller turret was worth the risk. The goal was to make the smallest target possible that could easily go hull-down behind cover.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

schmug posted:

4. That's not a fountain

Are you sure? I'm phoneposting so maybe I'm missing seeing something in the picture, but it sure looks like one of those indoor pools with fountains that were so popular in office buildings, malls, etc. circa 1975-1995.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The fountain was drained for cleaning and they left the sign in after refilling it.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Are you sure? I'm phoneposting so maybe I'm missing seeing something in the picture, but it sure looks like one of those indoor pools with fountains that were so popular in office buildings, malls, etc. circa 1975-1995.

:thejoke:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

OSHA IV: He got chemical burns on his wiener.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

So we're back to "who put the sign there, and why?", which changes how funny the picture is depending on the answer.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Craptacular posted:

So we're back to "who put the sign there, and why?", which changes how funny the picture is depending on the answer.

Who's on first

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm reporting YOU!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

schmug posted:

4. That's not a fountain

At first glance I actually thought that was the case, that it was a leak sprung below the floor.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chitoryu12 posted:

They probably realized it but figured making a shorter tank with a smaller turret was worth the risk. The goal was to make the smallest target possible that could easily go hull-down behind cover.

Any hit that penetrates a MBT tends to kill the crew, the soviets figured that upping the chances from 'probably' to 'almost definitely' in return for sitting almost 1 meter lower, having more efficient armor layout, and a bigger gun, all for cheaper was worth it given conscript tank crews were considered fungible and replaceable assets.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Any hit that penetrates a MBT tends to kill the crew,

This is very false.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:same:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Would foreskin have been appropriate P(P)PE?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

Which is funny because there's a lot of land out there with nothing to take cover behind, and a lot of that is in the USSR. I guess they assumed war would occure in western Europe and not deserts or steppes.

Another grabed some run off and painted a smiley face on the hood of his truck, set it on fire and watched the entire thing go up. But it was the new kids from the East Coast that are the dumbasses, not the old timers that are native Albertans.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Trabant posted:

Would foreskin have been appropriate P(P)PE?

PU, but it doesn't protect the balls.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PPE is stored in the Balls?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Phanatic posted:

This is very false.

Yeah, should have been 'any hit that penetrates the crew compartment', since there are a lot of areas that'll just mission kill the tank.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KoRMaK posted:

PPE is stored in the Balls?

PPE is stored on the balls

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

twistedmentat posted:

Which is funny because there's a lot of land out there with nothing to take cover behind, and a lot of that is in the USSR. I guess they assumed war would occure in western Europe and not deserts or steppes.

Well! :mil101: You dig a hole/doze up a berm, or you just keep moving. Low profile is especially handy in a terrain that offers only slight undulation for cover - even the slightest gully or depression suffices. Still, there are trade offs to everything. Low profile limits elevation of gun, effectively limiting possible unprepared hull down positions from which you can return fire, because your gun just won't go down enough if your tank is behind a slope. In general, there is no perfect tank or other AFV design because you always have to compromise one thing to get another. In the case of T-72, Soviets sacrificed some survivability to get a compact, powerful and affordable three man tank. But you don't design MBTs with just one theater in mind, that wouldn't make sense.

One aspect in which European AFV specs tend to differ from American ones (post DD-Sherman) is crossing rivers, because WW2 taught us that we have rivers loving everywhere and the other guy is probably going to blow the bridges up if he thinks we might use them. Some bridges might not even carry a semitruck, so you have to think of other options. Russian tanks and German Leopards have the fording ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpRiTRuwLWQ

Is it dangerous? Yes, but in the case of WW3 I don't think accidentally drowning in your T-80 or BMP is a fate worse than the others. But don't try this during peace time. The same goes with those WW2 DUKW tourist buses, they're not safe enough for leisure trips.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, should have been 'any hit that penetrates the crew compartment', since there are a lot of areas that'll just mission kill the tank.

Even with a crew compartment penetration it's not a given that anyone dies. Logically someone should die, but tankers are not known for their logic.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 17, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And yes, the USSR generally designed all of their equipment and tactics around WW3. This is why they had a ton of issues in Afghanistan: motorized infantry and tank charges following behind artillery and air strikes across the rolling fields and forests (with soldiers carrying only 3 magazines and staying within 100 meters of reloading in an APC) don’t work as well when the enemy is in the mountains.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I saw there was talk about Russian OSHA....

If an Audi side-hits a tree, it should NOT do that!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

those WW2 DUKW tourist buses, they're not safe enough for leisure trips.

there's a whole fuckin osha thread by itself right here

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chitoryu12 posted:

And yes, the USSR generally designed all of their equipment and tactics around WW3. This is why they had a ton of issues in Afghanistan: motorized infantry and tank charges following behind artillery and air strikes across the rolling fields and forests (with soldiers carrying only 3 magazines and staying within 100 meters of reloading in an APC) don’t work as well when the enemy is in the mountains.

Turns out a doctrine designed to bulldoze the Fulda Gap and blitz into Europe under the cover of literally the entire front's worth of artillery, aircraft, and limited tactical nuclear weapons doesn't work super hot against some goat farmer taking potshots with his Mosin that saw service in the Russo-Sino war.

Nenonen posted:

Even with a crew compartment penetration it's not a given that anyone dies. Logically someone should die, but tankers are not known for their logic.

It's never a guaranteed thing, but the M60 Patton has the same 'loose ammo inside the tank' thing going for it, so any HEAT round that hits has a good chance of just brewing up the ammo rack, resulting in a very loud and angry sounding self-disassembling pinata. Otherwise the crew is able to readily de-rear end the tank and hopefully leg it to cover before the term 'infantry in the open' is applied to them, generally via coaxial MG on the tank that shot them in the first place.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Watch that last step, it’s a doozy...

https://i.imgur.com/3kaQonO.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon Man posted:

Watch that last step, it’s a doozy...

https://i.imgur.com/3kaQonO.gifv

I’ve heard of rope ladders.

That’s a nope ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

We’re concerned about wasting the little bit of energy flaring off, but how much energy/water are we wasting on stupid decorative fountains?