Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the raid redemption is about a man slowly shedding the trappings of civilization and descending into a primal state to survive while refusing to discard his principles

dredd is about how the cops are exactly as bad as the criminals

But the criminals sell drugs and the cops don’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

But the criminals sell drugs and the cops don’t

For the people who aren't joking and are dumb as gently caress the end of the movie is literally Dredd killing ma ma the same way she kills the guy at the start of the movie

He's as much of a violent psychopath as her, he just has the cover of The Law*

*This is entirely consistent with the comics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best scene is the "he's thinking about going for your gun" exchange or else Anderson vs the dirty judge

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I'm sorry I memed Red Son into this world

How about we try Red Dwarf USA again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Serenity at least had some entertaining performances.

it also wasn’t nearly as wild as people make it out to be. the very first shot of the movie gives it away

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

it also wasn’t nearly as wild as people make it out to be. the very first shot of the movie gives it away

:jerkbag:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those block robots in serenity were hilarious

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dredd was in production for a while before that, it's literally two movies coming to the same idea independently

Also wildly thematically and tonally different movies

Turns out residential high rises are incredibly similar anywhere you go, and it's not really "ripping them off" when you have guys shooting down at each other from other floors.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
They have obvious similarities as films, and Dredd has a lot of action scenes, but I think most of the appeal of Dredd comes from the construction of the recognizable yet dystopian world of MegaCity One and the various characters who inhabit that world. It's more like Robocop in that sense - yeah there are fun moments of gore and violence, but this is mediated by the satirical presentation of the larger society. I think that The Raid is less ambitious. It's more like a hokey musical whose plot and characters are mostly a contrivance for song and dance numbers, except instead of songs and dances you have elaborate martial arts set pieces.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Raid has a very similar theme of government & police corruption, but there's never a question that the protagonist is in the right and doing what needs to be done.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just watched Legendary Weapons of China with a raging fever and it was good, lots of cool stunts

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love in Kung fu movies when somebody gets loving nailed in the balls

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

blue is the warmest color

blue is the warmest color loving sucks, it's about how poor people are too boring and uncultured to be gay, and also kechiche is a creep

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Raid has a very similar theme of government & police corruption, but there's never a question that the protagonist is in the right and doing what needs to be done.

I think part of that is that he spends the entire move on the backfoot in a way that dredd never does, hes constantly being stripped of his tools and armor until he's just shy of an animal

Also you know the whole thing where he got fuckin swindled into doing this in the first place

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also love how all the weapons are chrome and glinty like Mandy

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
what's the girl with the two hammers a symbol of

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ElNarez posted:

blue is the warmest color loving sucks, it's about how poor people are too boring and uncultured to be gay, and also kechiche is a creep

im reading a novel right now about a teenage lesbian whos just a huge romantic dork and its honestly really adorable to just see someone write a teenage lesbian story the same way most people write straight love stories without bothering to load it up with heavyhanded moralizing about how homophobes exist and are bad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

They have obvious similarities as films, and Dredd has a lot of action scenes, but I think most of the appeal of Dredd comes from the construction of the recognizable yet dystopian world of MegaCity One and the various characters who inhabit that world. It's more like Robocop in that sense - yeah there are fun moments of gore and violence, but this is mediated by the satirical presentation of the larger society.

Yeah Dredd does nail the black humor aspects of the source material really well.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the scene in blue is the warmest color where they have the big breakup fight is so loving bad I can never take Lea Seydoux seriously in any role now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The election subplot in the expanse makes me wish Cortyar was still around

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

what's the girl with the two hammers a symbol of

That's berendal that's not the first one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just make Goku vs Superman already

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

Yeah Dredd does nail the black humor aspects of the source material really well.

This was a thing I didn't appreciate fully in 2012 but seven years and seven hundred issues later yeah it's loving dead on

"The food court will reopen in thirty minutes"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I missed the 30 Rock chat, but add me to the "it sucks; it's pure liberalism" tally.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i cant hate thirty rock that much because it was at least liberalism with jokes and self awareness even at its very worst thirty rock never gets close to modern family and late parks and recreation in terms of pretending like its characters arent repugnant shitheads because they have passable political opinions

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
youtube decided to recommend i watch a bunch of 90s letterman musical guests and it lead me down a rabbit hole until i was watching the offspring who i am reminded are the least cool punk band ever, they have songs about not smoking weed and calling the cops

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One man's "self aware, in a good way" is another's "self aware, but in a bad way".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like episode where Liz becomes paranoid that her middle eastern neighbor is making a terrorist recruitment video and reports him and it turns out he was making an audition tape for the Amazing Race.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just make Goku vs Superman already

dont do this it'd be really bad

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked it when Liz Lemon ate that sheet cake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

dont do this it'd be really bad

The last opponent of Dragon Ball Super was basically a Superman analogue and was pretty good, plus Dragon Ball is still secretly a gag manga with more than enough thematic flexibility.

I suppose you just want to stop DC from loving it up too much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When you think about it, Goku is just superman raised by a martial artists instead of american farmers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

When you think about it, Goku is just superman raised by a martial artists instead of american farmers.

But also Homer Simpson.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dragonball super flanderizes Goku quite a bit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

goku is superman without the lie at the core of him, the need to pretend to be human

he's just goku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Goku is very human though not as much as vegeta

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Echo Chamber posted:

I liked it when Liz Lemon ate that sheet cake.

I will give her credit for loving off after the fallout from that. Can you name anyone else who wouldn't at least try to double down after pulling something like that?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Serf
May 5, 2011

at least disney's powers only extend so far... for now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

cant wait for about two to three years from now when the standard contrarian take is that the last jedi is the best star wars movie of all time