Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

withak posted:

I think we need more shots of the inside of Avasarala's closet.

Dunno if they have the money to rent a zeppelin hangar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What happens to rich people when they lose their jobs? Take Nancy Gao, say she wins the election, and then loses the next election. Does she just go back to the job she had? Or does she get put in the back of the line and gets thrown in a windowless room with a paper jumpsuit?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

What happens to rich people when they lose their jobs? Take Nancy Gao, say she wins the election, and then loses the next election. Does she just go back to the job she had? Or does she get put in the back of the line and gets thrown in a windowless room with a paper jumpsuit?

They can probably just invest some money into a new company and name themselves CEO or something if they want to. Rich people can pretty much do what they want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It definitely seemed like once you're off Basic you're out for good. Even if you're not rich. That also exacerbates the problem since with life extension drugs you might have to wait like, a century for someone to die and a job to open up.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

gfarrell80 posted:

As a side note... all the outdoor visual effects were immaculately done. Very convincing. I assume there's quite a bit of overlay or background manipulation going on, it was quite convincing.

This is where another good quote came from the NYCC panel. They basicaly said when they got to the quarry they didn't have to much to it, since it already looked like an alien planet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to say that when the nuke exploded this might have been the first show to ever get someone saying a Brazilian Portuguese term without making a Spanish accent.

CLOSEST CITY TO IMPACT: GOIÁS MAIOR

Also a great futuristic Neo-Tokyo-ish name as far as it goes.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grand Fromage posted:

It definitely seemed like once you're off Basic you're out for good. Even if you're not rich.

It's definitely possible to wind up back on Basic, but simply having money is a big divider. Basic provides goods and services, but not money, so it's not like you can save and invest your way out of Basic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Dunno if they have the money to rent a zeppelin hangar.

Only half of Earth is employed, but half of them are managing Avasarala's wardrobe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rich people don't work for their money, they let investments and rent make them money. If they haven't totally hosed up they're still rich when out of a job.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

McSpanky posted:

Only half of Earth is employed, but half of them are managing Avasarala's wardrobe.

Sounds to me like she's a *job creator*

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
rip ashford, you survived boning carmela soprano, but naomi's thirty year old son was just too much to handle

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You say that as if boning Edie Falco would be less than a blessing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I meant it more in the sense that Tony didn't murder him.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did Elias Toufexis make an appearance at all? I seem to recall it became a running gag to have him do a little cameo in every season.

Edit: Checked his Twitter and it sounds like he's a no-show :( Maybe season 5?

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1205401789509459968

404notfound fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 18, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

404notfound posted:

Did Elias Toufexis make an appearance at all? I seem to recall it became a running gag to have him do a little cameo in every season.

Edit: Checked his Twitter and it sounds like he's a no-show :( Maybe season 5?

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1205401789509459968

Horse + Mouth =

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1203077122576670720

e: wow beaten at the post. Keeping it anyway

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I actually liked Cibola Burn, and love what they did with this season. Cannot wait for the next. It was book six that I felt was the worst of the series, got about three quarters through it and fell off it (won't say why because a. not the time or place for that discussion and b. I'd probably get dogpiled for having the specific opinion I have about it anyway so gently caress that lol), so I'm looking forward in an academic sense to see how they improve on that for S6 of the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

I actually liked Cibola Burn, and love what they did with this season. Cannot wait for the next. It was book six that I felt was the worst of the series, got about three quarters through it and fell off it (won't say why because a. not the time or place for that discussion and b. I'd probably get dogpiled for having the specific opinion I have about it anyway so gently caress that lol), so I'm looking forward in an academic sense to see how they improve on that for S6 of the show.

take it to the other thread, i'd be interested in hearing why without the g14 classified

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww man, although I did enjoy the season and don't want to poo poo it too much it didn't feel as good as the others with things dragging out.

- For starters it felt a little too b-movie with the killer space slugs and alien eyeball bacteria
- The UN General resigning after the failed mission, come the gently caress on it was your option and you didn't advise against it. And I'm sure the last people in charge sacrificed a shitload more than 12 marines
- Amos jobbing real hard, I know he just walked out the bar but getting beat up like a wet paper bag then jailed didn't sit right. Also getting fingers blown off and conveniently there is "Regeneration Gel"

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Super Slash posted:

Aww man, although I did enjoy the season and don't want to poo poo it too much it didn't feel as good as the others with things dragging out.

- For starters it felt a little too b-movie with the killer space slugs and alien eyeball bacteria
- The UN General resigning after the failed mission, come the gently caress on it was your option and you didn't advise against it. And I'm sure the last people in charge sacrificed a shitload more than 12 marines
- Amos jobbing real hard, I know he just walked out the bar but getting beat up like a wet paper bag then jailed didn't sit right. Also getting fingers blown off and conveniently there is "Regeneration Gel"

I am watching season 1 again and they specifically mention the gel. It's in the first 5 -10 minutes of the first episode.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Super Slash posted:

And I'm sure the last people in charge sacrificed a shitload more than 12 marines

*cough* getting the rain forest nuked *cough*

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I am watching season 1 again and they specifically mention the gel. It's in the first 5 -10 minutes of the first episode.

Yep. The only reason the dude who got his arm frozen and broken off was getting a prosthetic is because they didn't have the gel (though he didn't want any fancy inyalowda gel anyhow).

It stands to reason the Edward Israel and Rocinante would have it.

The gel is also mentioned in the same context in the first book*, it's not convenient, it's a part of the setting. Don't forget, the largest issue with Drummer regrowing her spine was mostly just her agreeing to lay the gently caress down for a few weeks.

I only mention because it's *waaaaay* in the past, I've only read the first 3 chapters of the first book, don't kill me.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 18, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

What happens when rich people lose their political jobs now? They all end up as consultants. I imagine if she somehow had no political connections or money saved up from being an unelected politician for however many years she'd end up on basic but I doubt that'd happen to anyone with that much clout.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 18, 2019

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Luke gets his hand chopped off and conveniently has a new one by the end of the movie :rolleyes:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Super Slash posted:

- Amos jobbing real hard, I know he just walked out the bar but getting beat up like a wet paper bag then jailed didn't sit right.

He did that on purpose. The bad guys were looking to capture Naomi and the doctor, and they asked him for help. He decided to distract the bad guys by attacking them and then getting captured.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Elias Toufexis not being involved is loving cursed, it's been a tradition. gently caress you amazon.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wait he was in season 3? I don't remember him

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Wait he was in season 3? I don't remember him

He did the mocap for the hybrids.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You should read the books, theyre good and it will give you a new appreciation for how well they made the show. The Expanse may be one of the best examples of how something can switch mediums.

e: about medical stuff in the show they have an all purpose drug that kills cancer, the inners have had magic limb regenerating jello as a well known thing since the first episode. can i mwntion again that theres just magic drugs that kill ALL CANCER that holden pops like candy? and that elvi can easily aynthesize in her drug 3d printer? also they can 3d print drugs!

also drummer can walk again and they were prepared to start regrowing her spine on the behemeoth?

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 18, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nail Rat posted:

Yep. The only reason the dude who got his arm frozen and broken off was getting a prosthetic is because they didn't have the gel (though he didn't want any fancy inyalowda gel anyhow).

I could have sworn it was because the gel was expensive and it was the employer who wouldn't pay for it. They talked about the different types of prosthetic and how he's get a nicer one than the last guy, because the last guy hadn't been working as long. I remember them mentioning the major feature difference was tactile feedback, which would be my biggest concern if I needed robotic limbs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Basically hes talking about all the feature he deserves in a NEW prosthetic, like temp sensors and tactile feedback,, and Shed says they could regrow the whole thing with the gel and the guys response is "man gently caress the inners and their magic jello. id rather have a belter made fake any day. no offense holden"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

pixaal posted:

I could have sworn it was because the gel was expensive and it was the employer who wouldn't pay for it. They talked about the different types of prosthetic and how he's get a nicer one than the last guy, because the last guy hadn't been working as long. I remember them mentioning the major feature difference was tactile feedback, which would be my biggest concern if I needed robotic limbs.

Well yeah but the guy also didn't want the gel.

quote:

gently caress the Inners, and gently caress their magic Jell-O. I'd rather have a good Belter-built fake."

EFB

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You really think if they had magic jello on hand he'd have turned it down? That's a pretty standard didn't want that arm anyways defense. He'd get the chance to brag about using rich people jello for an arm, that would be way better.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Open Source Idiom posted:

Amazon's policy is to always release a season a year after the prior one. It's why they sat on the third season of High Castle for nine months after the SFX was done, meaning there was a two year gap between seasons.

This is the worst post. Does Amazon only release on release date anniversaries? I am not googling this poo poo cite your sources.

Edit: Sorry i just had a lovely morning. Still curious though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I dunno, he could be bullshitting but I could see a Belter actually wanting a prosthetic instead. If it's a high end one that's as good as the real thing, not being able to feel pain would be great for fights and party tricks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Put an airlock on the arm and have fine motor control in the vacuum of space.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Nail Rat posted:

I dunno, he could be bullshitting but I could see a Belter actually wanting a prosthetic instead. If it's a high end one that's as good as the real thing, not being able to feel pain would be great for fights and party tricks.

gently caress it i want prosthetic limbs right now. I mean let me test them one at a time first and don't touch my dick but that sounds awesome. Do some Coccyx through C7 spinal work too while you're at it.

Just don't touch my dick.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fragmented posted:

No one has yet.

:rimshot:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fragmented posted:

gently caress it i want prosthetic limbs right now. I mean let me test them one at a time first and don't touch my dick but that sounds awesome. Do some Coccyx through C7 spinal work too while you're at it.

What if it was bigger and vibrated and could last longer? You still feel everything and shoot your own juices.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Nevermind replacements, I want to see some supernumerary prosthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pixaal posted:

What if it was bigger and vibrated and could last longer? You still feel everything and shoot your own juices.

Honestly, I would rather not shoot any juices.