Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Mule syndrome haha thats some dumb kojima bullshit

Ooh yeah s rank sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

WaltherFeng posted:

Mule syndrome haha thats some dumb kojima bullshit

I'm surprised he didn't call them Cargo Cults.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

pippy posted:

wowza

now I am too

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

pippy posted:

Probably because that's an English phrase, and he insists that the localisers keep his japanese-english translations as literal as possible instead of making it less weird (see: MGS1 vs the others once he saw how much creative licence the MGS1 localiser took)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's not entirely true, DOOMS is apparently just called ESP in the jp version.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You have to consider its been a while since MGS1.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

WaltherFeng posted:

You have to consider its been a while since MGS1.

Pfff, it's only been like 10 years since '98...

Wait...

gently caress...

night slime
May 14, 2014
Was thinking about Die Hardman repeating information in this game and had horror flashback to Miller saying the exact same thing every time you shot a satellite in MGSV. Much worse imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
BOSS GET DOWN

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
.........................the enemy sniper..............................................

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Death Stranding was very good.

After the ending I wandered around for a while taking in the landscape for the last time. I don't think I'll go back and go completionist with the few gaps on the map, both for time purposes (lot of other games before the end of the year) and also because of how fitting and poetic that last ending shot was both of them, really. Just want to leave it at that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

[Die-Hardman]1 o'clock, ENEMY breakfast, 200
[BB]oh no! 1...is down!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's annn enemy gunship. Stay low and crawl along the ground.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4qVZRctMBo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFuE00MLHNQ
Shameless plug: me and my favorite self-made game, jousting with tanks

Back Up Back Down Extreme

Guns and grenades only

Only allowed to fire on horseback, galloping

Never got around to making second half of video, which involved throwing grenades at tanks on horseback. The last 3 tanks are extra armored

This looks like a blast.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CJacobs posted:

That's annn enemy gunship. Stay low and crawl along the ground.

SAM?

SAM!!?!!?

SAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pippy posted:

i felt very strongly that this was the implied joke

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

i felt very strongly that this was the implied joke

I would say that some things are too on the nose even for Kojima but certain lines in this game undermine that theory

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainCrunch posted:

Enjoying the hell out of this game but I’ve hit the part that stops me in every game. The boss fight with some extra requirement that I’m no good at.

The Doomwhale fight, have to keep the Cryptobiote shipment >50% damage. No replicators, so no container repair spray, accelerated timefall damage, and I keep getting hit with some gold bullshit from behind during the fight knocking me down. Finished the fight, keep finding my shipment destroyed. Last try it was 55% damaged goddamnit.

Couple pages ago but a general recommendation for “situations where you know you’ll have to fight because you flubbed it once already” is to abuse private storage. Find/create a postbox/room/depot, dump your precious cargo, go get your rear end shot by mules and eaten by BTs while kramering around to your heart’s content and backtrack to pick it up when you’re done, all for the usually-low price of “one PCC”.

Just don’t leave it in a truck unless you know you’ll be less than 500m or so from it, ever. (re: your specific situation, I dumped it in a truck before the fight but the tar pool inexplicably ate the truck but not the cargo, came back to it after and it had still taken 20% damage but at that point idgaf compared to the 80% it took on my first attempt’s kramering. Parking it outside the tar area entirely probably would have been fine, unfortunately no friends had left a postbox or room actually-nearby so the backtracking would have been all the way to the outpost)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if you are really wary about it, the game does a quick autosave just before the whale appears. so drive maybe 100m away and leave the cargo in there then go fight the whale

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Thanks for all the tips.

Turns out I’d passed with flying colors, I was just going to the wrong place to turn in.
Hah...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I ate poo poo and fell in a river and finally found out what the otter hat does.

Thanks Conan and the Cosplayer.

Also just started chapter 8. Game good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

I ate poo poo and fell in a river and finally found out what the otter hat does.

Thanks Conan and the Cosplayer.

Also just started chapter 8. Game good.

Lol that is also how I learned what the otter hat does, but I was too panicked to appreciate it. It is also where I learned the virtue of carrying a sticky gun with you (by not having a sticky gun with me)

night slime
May 14, 2014

CaptainCrunch posted:

Thanks for all the tips.

Turns out I’d passed with flying colors, I was just going to the wrong place to turn in.
Hah...

Been there. The map can be so difficult to understand for a while,

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
or you could stop being a punk and walk out there with one of every weapon and rain blood on your enemies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How many chapters are there? Is there a point of no return?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Point of no return is roughly end of chapter 8/beginning of chapter 9

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is it just me or does the tall BT who sometimes grows an Amelie head seem a lot tougher than the flying whale BT? I keep getting lost as to whether I should shoot the left shoulder or the body area, and the shoulder is a much smaller target than the whale in general

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shoot specifically at Higgs, wherever it's glowing gold. You don't do damage unless you hit the gold part and you do bonus damage if you hit him dead on. It only grows an Amelie head if you hit her. But yeah, Big Boy BT was much tougher than the whale which doesn't really even attack you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Fun game. I wish near the end that I had spent some of that 90 hours I roughly spent in the middle of the country beefing up the other land a bit because there was almost nothing there to help me and very little fellow porter help

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Couple pages ago but a general recommendation for “situations where you know you’ll have to fight because you flubbed it once already” is to abuse private storage. Find/create a postbox/room/depot, dump your precious cargo, go get your rear end shot by mules and eaten by BTs while kramering around to your heart’s content and backtrack to pick it up when you’re done, all for the usually-low price of “one PCC”.

Just don’t leave it in a truck unless you know you’ll be less than 500m or so from it, ever. (re: your specific situation, I dumped it in a truck before the fight but the tar pool inexplicably ate the truck but not the cargo, came back to it after and it had still taken 20% damage but at that point idgaf compared to the 80% it took on my first attempt’s kramering. Parking it outside the tar area entirely probably would have been fine, unfortunately no friends had left a postbox or room actually-nearby so the backtracking would have been all the way to the outpost)

In that late fight I had the cargo on my back and I was on foot but somehow after the cutscene it ended up in the tar across screen from me anyway

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

Fun game. I wish near the end that I had spent some of that 90 hours I roughly spent in the middle of the country beefing up the other land a bit because there was almost nothing there to help me and very little fellow porter help

Wouldn’t have mattered, when they say “everything you made got destroyed in heavy rainfall” they’re being quite literal. Every bridge, ladder, postbox, rope, anything with your name on it is temporarily deleted and the contents if any transferred to capital knot. The only way you can help yourself premptively is if you printed poo poo pre-chapter 9 and left it in port knot; beyond that you’re entirely at the mercy of the contents of the shared lockers in the distro centers and whatever postboxes/private rooms your fellow porters left.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize you can only see BTs when you're standing still.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

simble posted:

My favorite MULE moment was when they started using sticky guns before I had unlocked them.

As I was jumping over the last ravine heading towards the Junk Dealer's place on the way to the tar lake, a mule sticky-gunned the armed nuke I was carrying. I ended up reloading.

I recently finished this and have now gone back to read the entire thread from where I got too worried about spoilers at page 98. I haven't played a Kojima game before, and I really enjoyed this (and will slowly try to grind out the platinum during 2020). Definitely a contender for my favorite game of the year, the only uncertainty being that I finally got to Nier: Automata in March.

Some disorganised thoughts -
  • In some parts, this game really captured some of my favorite moments of hiking in real life, while cutting out a lot of the bad features that are the reason I don't actually hike much any more. For that reason, I often found myself thinking I would have preferred it if in some ways if the BTs had been left off-screen and the focus had been more Man vs Wild - but I understand that would have been a very different game.
  • I wish we could tailor ladder extension when deploying. I almost got killed in the whiteout when I went over the top of one that was surplus to requirements.
  • The cue that plays right before the last jump to the beach from the isolation ward is wonderful - I worked my way through the orchestral soundtrack on Spotify looking for it until finding it was the last minute and a half or so of Strands.
  • I felt palpable physical relief when, on my way back east again, I caught sight of the three climbing ropes that had been hanging down the mountain range south-east of the Waystation West of Capital Knot City since I had climbed down them 40 hours earlier. Hello old friends.
  • I see a lot of people in this thread complaining about things I know how to do, and that makes me wonder how many things in the game I'm missing myself.

DalaranJ posted:

So, what’s the meaning of the two masks? Is the black mask the will of the UCA to keep existing?

That's an interesting suggestion. The connection that came into my mind with the black mask (although probably not the one intended by the writer) was that it represented shame - it had for some reason reminded me of another story about the powerful making use of the small and helpless, where the covering served to hide one's face from god.

I think we'll be talking about this game for a long time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJacobs posted:

Shoot specifically at Higgs, wherever it's glowing gold. You don't do damage unless you hit the gold part and you do bonus damage if you hit him dead on. It only grows an Amelie head if you hit her. But yeah, Big Boy BT was much tougher than the whale which doesn't really even attack you.

Uh you can shoot him anywhere and still do damage. I don't think I ever actually shot at anything gold on him. I shot almost exclusively at his legs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough I guess, I didn't really bother shooting anywhere else because of the man surrounded by shining gold constantly shouting "SHOOT ME I'M RIGHT HERE HA HA HA"

edit: It seems like the boss BTs have the same properties as their smaller bretheren, in that you can damage them anywhere if you make the spot red and agitated first with grenades or other blood weapons. Fastest way to kill BT bosses seems to be hucking a few grenades to paint the whole thing red and then unloading with standard lethal ammo, which does nearly double the damage of hematic rounds when shot through a hematic grenade cloud or at a red spot on a BT.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 18, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

RatHat posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize you can only see BTs when you're standing still.

It took me until the last mission of the game to realize I can make running leaps over chasms.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

It took me until the last mission of the game to realize I can make running leaps over chasms.

Imagine me trying to make a daring escape from Mules only to fall into a ravine with all my cargo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

I only accidentally figured it out- does the game ever explicitly tell you about this? I kept trying to ping them at first

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I only accidentally figured it out- does the game ever explicitly tell you about this? I kept trying to ping them at first

Surprisingly no, only in loading screen/data menu tips. Not even in your first encounter with them at the incinerator, it only tells you about the odradek pointing at them and scanning to make them visible. I guess they just figured you'd see them disappear when you started to move, come back when you stood still, and put two and two together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

It does in fact in one of the gameplay tips.