Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fuzz posted:

Same, although I stupidly missed Jotun last week and am annoyed at myself over it since that is one of the games that actually interested me.

it's definitely pretty, but it does not even come close to holding your hand.

there's an early bit where you're like "geez i don't want to gently caress up the world tree but it's blocking my way and i'm not seeing any way around it"

the solution, of course, is to perform the strongest attack you've got, which you've never had to use yet, to get the roots out of the way. Not how I expected the game to go and I've sidelined it after the first true boss: there's the whole zone that appears to be made for defeating bosses and the first with the ground tentacles and poison areas put me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Griefor posted:

I have activated 80-90% of the free EGS games, and have yet to install the game launcher. I'm not sure if I ever will.

lol same

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FFT posted:

Is The Escapists anything more or better than what Prison Architect has to offer for that game mode? The trailer suggests storage of items for use for later (and I don't recall Prison Architect having a grappling hook). Its initial release was noticeably after the semi-public alpha for PA and seems a bit simpler and like a game mode that was demanded by the testers of PA which did eventually came out but not quite as quickly as a developer I've never heard of put out a prison escape game.

Yeah, it's a lot more expansive. There's crafting, a bunch of viable options for escape, basic favor mechanics with individual prisoners, and a bunch of other stuff. You don't just grab an axe to pop the first guard you see with a shotgun and kill everyone else with that. Also it has its own prison editor for custom maps.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 13, 2019

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Whatever monkeycheese bullshit this is, it is free for a while.

Smileyfax
Dec 30, 2008
I tried out The Escapists, after winning a key for it from someplace or another. It seemed pretty fun at first. I noticed that guards would chase me and knock me out if I did oopsies like take a guard uniform out of laundry, or accidentally start a riot in the cafeteria. Then, I stumbled across a fight between a guard and another prisoner, which ended with the guard being knocked out. I figured it was a perfect opportunity, so I grabbed the guard's key and made it back to my cell unnoticed to plan my next move.

I then got a message saying the warden had put me into solitary confinement for stealing the key. I guess the warden must have used his psychic powers to figure out I did it, and then used the same psychic powers to teleport me directly to the solitary confinement cell. I mean, why not send guards to knock me out like any other time I break the rules? And how did the warden know I had the key? If the rules of your game just sometimes arbitrarily don't matter, then I'm just going to stop playing it, and also recommend that nobody else does either. So yeah, don't play The Escapists.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks for saving me from wasting my time. While a bunch of the free games have been great (nuclear throne, overcooked was so fun I immediately bought the sequel), or else nice little things to blast through once or twice (Gato Roboto) some were dire and I had to teach myself to just stop rather than powering through for completion's sake (I'm looking at you, surviving mars).

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Looks like Epic also added The Wolf Among Us for a freebie this week. Go get it!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If you started the qubic switch games giveaway chain the other day, today's the first day of getting the rest: https://qubicgames.com/15years/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

flatluigi posted:

If you started the qubic switch games giveaway chain the other day, today's the first day of getting the rest: https://qubicgames.com/15years/

Didn't know about this, too late now since I would have qualified.

Whelp. That sucks.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Also, Postal 2 is on http://gog.com at the low low cost of "your self-respect."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
free is too much to pay for the postal games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

flatluigi posted:

Thanks for the reminder.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

flatluigi posted:

free is too much to pay for the postal games

What, you mean you don't like Gary Coleman jokes and "all Middle Easterners wear turbans all the time and are terrorists" jokes and "hey a random guy in a gimp outfit HOW SEXUALLY DEVIANT" jokes and pissing on people to make them puke then blowing their heads off with a shotgun and then seeing the puke spewing out of their neck stump as their flailing bodies writhe around in a big puddle of piss?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 16, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GreatGreen posted:

What, you mean you don't like Gary Coleman jokes and "all Middle Easterners wear turbans all the time and are terrorists" jokes and "hey a random guy in a gimp outfit HOW SEXUALLY DEVIANT" jokes and pissing on people to make them puke then blowing their heads off with a shotgun and then seeing the puke spewing out of their neck stump as their flailing bodies writhe around in a big puddle of piss?

Ok, ok, you've convinced me, I'm downloading Postal 2 now. Geez.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GreatGreen posted:

personally I stopped at their recent attempts to sell directly to gamergaters but yeah all that too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

I remember that game caught one of CGW’s incredibly rare 0 star reviews. Like, there were 3 of them in the magazines 30 year history rare. The image rehabilitation it had online in the last few years has been baffling.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In terms of modern day appeal Postal 2's structure is still relatively unique and poo poo like this...

GreatGreen posted:

pissing on people to make them puke then blowing their heads off with a shotgun and then seeing the puke spewing out of their neck stump as their flailing bodies writhe around in a big puddle of piss?
...while childishly over the top and gross, is still kind of hilarious in a "they went through the effort of programming all of that?" sort of way. There's a bunch of other small details like that and even basic poo poo like being able to pour your own trail of gasoline to then ignite which is not at all a thing in games still. That said, even with those meager positives I still would never recommend the game because of, y'know, all the goddamn racism, sexism, and Gamergate support.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I thought postal2 was the end of the line lol, like how the gently caress do you get to Postal 4 or 5 now?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if anything it's been easier to get shock jock material over the last decade or so thanks to the advent of twitter so i honestly wouldn't expect postal to stop at least until twitter does

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I thought the Gamergate thing was something the now-fired GoG social media chud did to promote a sale on the game and had nothing to do with the actual devs? Regardless, Postal 2 is the kind of bad game that's so bad it's actually interesting and with 15+ years.of distance I view the racism in it as a historical artifact of the times in the same way that Superman beating up "Japoteurs" or Deus Ex having anti-government terrorist militias as the good guys.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I thought postal2 was the end of the line lol, like how the gently caress do you get to Postal 4 or 5 now?
Cheap Russian developers.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Smileyfax posted:

I tried out The Escapists, after winning a key for it from someplace or another. It seemed pretty fun at first. I noticed that guards would chase me and knock me out if I did oopsies like take a guard uniform out of laundry, or accidentally start a riot in the cafeteria. Then, I stumbled across a fight between a guard and another prisoner, which ended with the guard being knocked out. I figured it was a perfect opportunity, so I grabbed the guard's key and made it back to my cell unnoticed to plan my next move.

I then got a message saying the warden had put me into solitary confinement for stealing the key. I guess the warden must have used his psychic powers to figure out I did it, and then used the same psychic powers to teleport me directly to the solitary confinement cell. I mean, why not send guards to knock me out like any other time I break the rules? And how did the warden know I had the key? If the rules of your game just sometimes arbitrarily don't matter, then I'm just going to stop playing it, and also recommend that nobody else does either. So yeah, don't play The Escapists.

The Escapists 2 seems to have improved on much of this. If you had stolen that key in Escapists 2, the guard would notice his key was gone when he woke up and the entire place would go into lock down. Guards would then search everyone's cell, and anyone caught outside of their cell during lock down would be put into solitary.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Sleeveless posted:

I thought the Gamergate thing was something the now-fired GoG social media chud did to promote a sale on the game and had nothing to do with the actual devs? Regardless, Postal 2 is the kind of bad game that's so bad it's actually interesting and with 15+ years.of distance I view the racism in it as a historical artifact of the times in the same way that Superman beating up "Japoteurs" or Deus Ex having anti-government terrorist militias as the good guys.

Right, you can't blame Running with Scissors for being racist because as we all know, everybody was racist 20 years ago, that's just the way things were. You really can't blame them for being racist in their currently in-development postal game, either, because everyone is racist now. It's historical context for history in the making.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GreatGreen posted:

turn on ur monitor

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The one weird positive thing I can say is that their emphasis on blood and vomit and piss lead them to create a (very wonky) fluid dynamics physics system that I haven't seen any other game do.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

They literally had Milo show up in one of the expansions.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Guy Mann has never made a post that didn't make him sound like a hateful piece of poo poo and he won't start now folks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

John Murdoch posted:

Not to get too much into playing Devil's Advocate, but given Milo's habit of "Ironic" YOLO spending which has personally bankrupted and Running with Scissors being a small independent studio, I would not be surprised if he just paid them to be in the game. It's also kind of fitting, a lovely edgelord idiot having a cameo in a lovely edgelord idiot game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Calling him an edgelord downplays quite a bit how at the time he was getting his money from bannon and the mercers literally to make Nazism palatable to 20somethings

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I fail to really see the distinction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

John Murdoch posted:

Wait, what? Do you at least get to shoot him?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what? Do you at least get to shoot him?

I think he's the devil guy you fight at the end?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He has a gay bar that you're tasked with shooting up. It's what makes me think that he paid to be put it, most of the other tasks you do are mundane things like "pick up toilet paper" or "cash paycheck" but his is literally "shoot up gay bar" it rather jarring to see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EGS is giving away a different game every day for the next 12 days, and today it's Into The Breach

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
It's very rude of them to put up free games that I've previously paid for on Steam but not yet played.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I hope Subset Games get a good compensation for this giveaway.
Into the Breach is a great game and one of my favorites last year.
So far, with FTL and Into the Breach, they're at two out of two flawless record of releasing solid excellent titles.
Hopefully we'll see more great things from them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hollandia posted:

It's very rude of them to put up free games that I've previously paid for on Steam but not yet played.
they are calling you out specifically

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I knew it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's Towerfall Ascension today

looks like Superhot tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
anybody else having issues with getting the order popup screen to actually load. i press the get button and it popped up once but got stuck on the loading circle and now it wont open at all