Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
so who is the skywalker that's supposed to be rising? ben?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's rey, OP

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Nah, Queen Palpatine is the Skywalker.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Low Desert Punk posted:

i've watched all these movies and read the new leaks and I am still extremely confused what the loving point of Finn was

Finn was originally supposed to get more of Poe's storyline of becoming a resistance leader, as well as him being force sensitive mattering in some significant way with the larger dark vs light conflict, and also being more of a romantic interest for Rey.

Then they reshot TFA to have Poe live (in part because Oscar Isaac was having his breakout moment), the force sensitive stuff got ignored in TLJ, and the romance thing just never materialized.

It really left him with nothing to do, which is a shame because Boyega is great and one of the best parts of TFA.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

If Disney fans want to go read a comic book where it's revealed that actually Palpatine meant for everything in TPM to happen exactly as it did, that's their problem, but it's not in the movies. In the movies, "the ability to create life" probably isn't even real, and Sheev for sure doesn't have it, and his plan is to start a war as a pretext for taking over the galaxy and killing all the Jedi. He doesn't need Anakin; having him is just a bonus.

Prequel detractors have come a long way. Now they have to go the EU to explain why the movies are stupid :thunk:

That's old cinema. New cinema, like videogames, requires you to get all the DLC to get a coherent story.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Finn was originally supposed to get more of Poe's storyline of becoming a resistance leader, as well as him being force sensitive mattering in some significant way with the larger dark vs light conflict, and also being more of a romantic interest for Rey.

Then they reshot TFA to have Poe live (in part because Oscar Isaac was having his breakout moment), the force sensitive stuff got ignored in TLJ, and the romance thing just never materialized.

It really left him with nothing to do, which is a shame because Boyega is great and one of the best parts of TFA.

i actually hadn't heard about this, that sucks. Finn was one of the few things I really, really enjoyed about TFA, i was really irritated when they had the opportunity to really examine the psychological state of a nameless, faceless, expendable foot soldier and then they just... didn't do that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ginette Reno posted:

Man how big a piece of poo poo is this movie that it's got a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Already had no desire to see it because of how bad the last one was but fuckin lol.

It is pretty bad, from what I’ve seen of it.

I’m going to the film on Friday, and I’ll be going to gauge the audience reactions more than to see the movie.

Low Desert Punk posted:

i actually hadn't heard about this, that sucks. Finn was one of the few things I really, really enjoyed about TFA, i was really irritated when they had the opportunity to really examine the psychological state of a nameless, faceless, expendable foot soldier and then they just... didn't do that

The sequel trilogy has been disappointment after disappointment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

Poe originally dies when they crash the Tie fighter on Tatooine. Finn takes his jacket as a momento or whatever

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They left the bit in where Kylo stares at Finn for some reason. The reason being he senses the force in him as his panic brought it out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

that first scene of him freaking out on the battlefield really got me interested in where the movie was going to go

then the rest of the movie happened. lol @ me

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

so who is the skywalker that's supposed to be rising? ben?

my skywalker is rising when looking at these reviews

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It seems like the only people who can love this movie are those who vehemently hated The Last Jedi because of what it did to “the saga” or “Luke’s character” (as opposed to because it was a bad movie).

- People evaluating it from an unbiased perspective/who don’t care about TLJ recognize TROS has huge flaws as a movie
- People who liked TLJ are going to hate it because it quickly tries to undo everything they liked about TLJ

It sure seems like they made a movie that appeals to only a slim minority of people

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
If they really wanted to please fans, the last scene in the movie would be a de-aged Luke Skywalker waking up and saying, "What a horrible nightmare." He then walks to the teachers lounge at the Jedi academy and tells Kyle Katarn he had this dream where nothing he did mattered and he and all his friends died as bitter old failures.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
so it turns out the spoilers were right but missing details that made the movie even more terrible

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Palps ‘n Kylo: BFF’s

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ecfl4i/opening_scene_kylo_meets_palpatine/

Edit:

Kylo & Rey whoopin’ on fools

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ecfsk5/reykylo_vs_palpskor/

Loved the “Sorry guys. It’s not personal; just business” gesture that Kylo gives the Knights. Adam Driver has been one of the best parts of these movies, if not THE best part.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 18, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

that first scene of him freaking out on the battlefield really got me interested in where the movie was going to go

hell, same

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

SolarFire2 posted:

If they really wanted to please fans, the last scene in the movie would be a de-aged Luke Skywalker waking up and saying, "What a horrible nightmare." He then walks to the teachers lounge at the Jedi academy and tells Kyle Katarn he had this dream where nothing he did mattered and he and all his friends died as bitter old failures.

Maybe Mara Jade, Revan and the alien bunny dude could be there too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SolarFire2 posted:

Luke wakes up and walks into the bathroom where Mara Jade is taking a shower

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SolarFire2 posted:

See, that would at least be legitimately funny

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

My buddy somehow completely missed all Star Wars when he was growing up, at 36 years old he had never seen a single one. Zero interest. Then he caught part of TFA on Netflix a friend's house and loved it, and binged all the movies and shows before going to see TLJ in theaters, which he also loved. His house and work desk are covered with BB-8 and Rey toys.

He got him & me tickets for opening night tomorrow and I can't wait.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

it should've ended with a exact recreation of that scene from Heir to the Empire where Luke drinks hot chocolate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke waking up with Mara Jade in the shower is legit funny and should happen.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
“Mare-uh” or “Mar-uh”?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

It's the Snokes in vats! Oh my god :neckbeard:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I haven't been following these leaks at all until today but LMAO. I'm imagining a casual viewer trying to watch the ST as its own self-contained thing and being utterly baffled by this.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Zoran posted:

“Mare-uh” or “Mar-uh”?

May-ray

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

Same.

drat now I can't stop thinking about what they could've done just by putting Finn in Poe's place in TLJ. Even the way he clowns on Hux in the beginning would work better but you could keep Poe there and just have him get blown up in the hangar attack. Then Finn has to stick around and step up to help manage things, maybe dealing with people suspecting him of betraying them to the First Order, while feeling conflicted about not being able to go after Rey. Dunno how you set up a confrontation with Phasma - maybe he negotiates to give himself up to buy the rebellion some time - but can't be any worse than what we got anyway.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gonz posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ecfl4i/opening_scene_kylo_meets_palpatine/

Edit:

Loved the “Sorry guys. It’s not personal; just business” gesture that Kylo gives the Knights. Adam Driver has been one of the best parts of these movies, if not THE best part.

Holy poo poo , kylo fights randoms, gets a treasure, meets palpatine, sees snoke clones, is promised he can be the new emperor WHICH HE ALREADY IS and the sith fleet revealed, all in 6 minutes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blast Fantasto posted:

It seems like the only people who can love this movie are those who vehemently hated The Last Jedi because of what it did to “the saga” or “Luke’s character” (as opposed to because it was a bad movie).

- People evaluating it from an unbiased perspective/who don’t care about TLJ recognize TROS has huge flaws as a movie
- People who liked TLJ are going to hate it because it quickly tries to undo everything they liked about TLJ

It sure seems like they made a movie that appeals to only a slim minority of people

Well, no. Go look up /r/saltierthancrait. They hate this movie just as much if not more than TLJ. They made a movie that appeals to nobody.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

STC is amazing right now.

Actually, scratch that - I find it hard to care about them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When TFA came out I called Rey as being Prince Ken’s daughter.

Instead she’s his sister.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

Holy poo poo , kylo fights randoms, gets a treasure, meets palpatine, sees snoke clones, is promised he can be the new emperor WHICH HE ALREADY IS and the sith fleet revealed, all in 6 minutes

Before, that'd have taken six movies

How far we've come in storytelling

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mat Cauthon posted:

The real reason they rewrote and reshot it is because Disney executives like Iger and Horn are still uncomfortable with watching white girls having romance with black guys on screen

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pollyanna posted:

It's unfortunate that any legitimate criticism about RotS will get you lumped in with the anti-SJW crybaby brigade.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

Why do these trashy assholes have to racialize and politicize everything? I hate these people. Star Wars was something beautiful and now I can't seperate it from the controversy. I really am tired of having to defend myself all of the time, I am not racist, I am not sexist and I don’t have to defend a goddamn thing. The media are the racists and sexist ones it is all they loving think about. gently caress them.

Normally I’d laugh but I just hate these kinds of people so much.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

yo this is loving terrible

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Blast Fantasto posted:

No, I think it's perfectly possible to hate TLJ for what it did to Luke and hate this movie, too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Finn's lack of storyline and character arc is the most disappointing thing imo

Wiping out all the Skywalkers with no fanfare is the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Gonz posted:

Edit:

These clips are terrible and the fight choreography is barely better than TJL.