Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Guilty of similar on my first car. I didn't know about a little rubber under the brake pedal perishing was cause for brake lights to be on constantly. So I pulled the fuse and then manually turned on my lights on the stalk everytime I thought it might be a cop behind me to make them think I had brake lights. I was a dumb teen.

high five manual break bro. lights were fine they just didn't turn on, but the rear foglamp switch turned them on so that was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My FIL has a Kia van, and a local shop wanted ~$800 to replace the entire brake pedal assembly because the little wear button that the brake light switch contacts had dry rotted and fallen out, so the NC switch did nothing but catch air when the brake was released. Brake lights on constantly, even on key off.

I managed to get one of those GM "Christmas tree" type panel buttons into the space which worked a treat and still functions as a wear pad

Brake light chat yeah!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Let's really get this derail going:

Tell me about how you all pump gas. Do you have the latch that let's you pump hands-free? Are you in some place where you're not allowed to pump your own gas? Let's derail this baby!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

Tell me about how you all pump gas. Do you have the latch that let's you pump hands-free? Are you in some place where you're not allowed to pump your own gas? Let's derail this baby!

I go to a full service station because my fuel filler is like a foot off the ground and i'm fat and lazy,

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i use the latch and stand next to my car with my arms folded, what of it

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i make my intergalactic frog-puppet piss its explosive piss into an explosion-proof refining tank, which gives me enough Gigafuel to knock a few parsecs off my Kessel Spice Mine run

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zipperelli. posted:

You've just summoned Three Olives.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/e1rmZiq.gifv

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

French Canadian posted:

Im sorry but was this sugar mill video posted already?

It's basically OSHA-land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3v_j9x4bQQ
This from the "Recommended" list on the video you posted seems horrifying...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtXM6XYQiTY

:stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Remember last year when Oregon changed its law to finally allow self-serve gas, and people freaked out that suddenly they were being forced to do some highly technical and dangerous industrial job?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

That last one HAS to be a troll, right? Saying costing someone their job is inhumane, and then in the very next sentence, with no sense of irony, saying it must be a health hazard for the ~1/week time they pump their own gas?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powered Descent posted:

Remember last year when Oregon changed its law to finally allow self-serve gas, and people freaked out that suddenly they were being forced to do some highly technical and dangerous industrial job?

The running joke is that native Oregonians can’t be trusted to hold their own nozzles.

Meanwhile, it me, the person who moved to Portland later in life, but still managed to sit at a gas station across the river in Washington for a good 5 minutes wondering where everyone was.

Driving at night when rural OR gas stations were closed was always a skechy proposition. I used to have a vague list of everything in the northwestern quarter of the state that was open after midnight when I worked nights.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

That last one HAS to be a troll, right? Saying costing someone their job is inhumane, and then in the very next sentence, with no sense of irony, saying it must be a health hazard for the ~1/week time they pump their own gas?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Powered Descent posted:

What's the plugin called that makes a thread on SA look like that?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Every time I visit Oregon I jump out, start pumping my gas, then the attendant slowly sidles up and we exchange our "should I bother?" glances. Then I chuckle and let out a "whoops, forgot I was in Oregon" and jump back in until the next trip.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Literally

https://i.imgur.com/Nh5ZoqD.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zipperelli. posted:

I always double bag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zipperelli. posted:

Tell me about how you all pump gas

On a treadmill

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Tell me about how you all pump gas.

Directly into a plastic bag like a normal person.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm in New Jersey :smug:

But I grew up in the civilized world, so sometimes I pump my own there. Freaks the attendants out sometimes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gonna go out on my gas pumping limb here and say we should have attendants pumping gas and they should have better PPE than Oregon and NJ have required.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

zedprime posted:

Gonna go out on my gas pumping limb here and say we should have attendants pumping gas and they should have better PPE than Oregon and NJ have required.

There should be a contactless lane where someone in F1 style pit crew getup pumps £30 of fuel in like 5 seconds using one of those massive hoses

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard of rope ladders.

That’s a nope ladder.

It's a Jacobs Ladder

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

There should be a contactless lane where someone in F1 style pit crew getup pumps £30 of fuel in like 5 seconds using one of those massive hoses

There should also be a "to go" lane where you can buy your gasoline pre-bagged.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

There should also be a "to go" lane where you can buy your gasoline pre-bagged.

There is (though it's bottled):

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

On a treadmill

If you put a gas pump on a treadmill, would it even be able to pump gas?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

get your gas in paper bags, it's better for the environment

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Cojawfee posted:

If you put a gas pump on a treadmill, would it even be able to pump gas?

I work out every day and you better belive me, the gas is still pumping :smug:

(IBS kinda sucks :()

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zedprime posted:

It's been said that if you tried to introduce the gasoline-powered car today, you'd never get approval without a load of safety regulations including trained and licensed operators, wearing full ppe including respirators.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shut up Meg posted:

It's been said that if you tried to introduce the gasoline-powered car today, you'd never get approval without a load of safety regulations including trained and licensed operators, wearing full ppe including respirators.
I mean aside from the respirator, technically all of that is in place.

And as for the respirator, I've been known to change my cabin air filter, uhh, once, so I'm calling that box checked.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

There is (though it's bottled):

Do they come with a rag and a lighter?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shut up Meg posted:

I read somewhere that if aspirin was invented today it would be a strictly controlled pharmaceutical, or possibly never even make it to human trials. We're a lot more careful about what we put into ourselves these days.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Varkk posted:

Do they come with a rag and a lighter?

That would be too OSHA. The proper solution is to use windproof matches like the Finns did when they mass produced Molotovs. :eng101:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wrap the rag around the bottle. Don't shove it in the neck. Rookie mistake.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Memento posted:

I read somewhere that if aspirin was invented today it would be a strictly controlled pharmaceutical, or possibly never even make it to human trials. We're a lot more careful about what we put into ourselves these days.

I don't know exactly where the line is between "invented" and "discovered", but I'm pretty sure aspirin is in the latter group.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Memento posted:

Huh, I heard some variation that if aspirin hit the market today it would be patented and cost hundreds of dollars instead of pennies. And I don't think it's true at all that people are more careful about what they put into their bodies these days. There has never been a better time to sell snake oil to idiots who think they're careful about what they put into their bodies. Look no further than everything that Goop sells, and people who think that essential oils are more effective than medicine. People are dumb as gently caress and they probably always will be.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I thought it was paracetamol that's the one that wouldn't get approved for over the counter use today. maybe it's both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They would have to make Willow trees illegal if they did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Memento posted:

Aspirin is prescribed to old people as an anti-inflammatory to help with arthritis etc. but it has the side effect of causing stomach ulcers. If a new drug hit the market in that condition the pharmaceutical companies would be told to take it back to the lab and have another try.