Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Davros1 posted:

At least they explained how Maz gained possession of Luke's lightsaber, right?

Worked her way up from Cloud City janitor

of course they dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

weekly font posted:

"bewildering and horny"

sold

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Davros1 posted:

Just post this whenever a question is asked if they answered something:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

gently caress you that poo poo don't matter! None of it matter! Here's some loving anime!!!

Same poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DejPz3SNwuM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BigglesSWE posted:

Hahaaaaa nope.

weekly font posted:

Worked her way up from Cloud City janitor

of course they dont

Vintersorg posted:

Just post this whenever a question is asked if they answered something:

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress you that poo poo don't matter! None of it matter! Here's some loving anime!!!

Same poo poo!

Hee-hee. I love you all.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's fascinating to look back at the pre-production stuff, particularly the period of pre-buyout work done when Lucas and Michael Arndt when they did the first spec story outline, then the evolution/abandonment of those ideas, scenarios and characters going into TFA when Lucas exited and Disney took over with Abrams at the helm (and how much of it was actually not terrible, in retrospect, despite them apparently not having much of a final plan).

Then seeing TLJ just bulldoze all of that by changing course into a radically different interpretation of what the endgame should be like, still without actually having a final plan and making it up as they went along.

And now seeing TROS attempting to salvage some of those old ideas while simultaneously trying its hardest not to offend anyone by explaining almost nothing, tying up loose ends in the worst ways imaginable and just dialing the fanservice up to eleven in the hopes that people won't yell at them too much.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So Palpatine is back, and no real explanation is given? They don't even bother to explain that he maybe cloned himself... am I understanding correctly? And he has managed to build hundreds of star destroyers, and find people to crew them, and nobody had any idea this was happening?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MrMojok posted:

So Palpatine is back, and no real explanation is given? They don't even bother to explain that he maybe cloned himself... am I understanding correctly? And he has managed to build hundreds of star destroyers, and find people to crew them, and nobody had any idea this was happening?

A wizard the Dark Side did it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Which Star Wars costume person also worked on John Carter?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

MrMojok posted:

Space is big. REALLY big.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrMojok posted:

He survived. He was alive the entire time. Nobody had any idea any of this was happening. Correct.

I think that is the biggest thing that kills the Sequel Trilogy, is that everyone acts like a loving idiot for the sake of the plot. Compare that, to say, when Vader boards the Tantive IV at the beginning of A New Hope - who acts like a serious commander in charge of the situation.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

romanowski posted:

people who whine about luke's character being ruined are cowards

Yeah, gently caress Mark Hamill to hell.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hobn57uzQlk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m heartened by some of the goons saying it was merely corporate bad and watchable and not walk out of the theater bad

That’s a relief

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is a turn-off-your-brain movie. I’ll only be satisfied if there’s lots of space battles though, and it looks like there basically aren’t any :mad:

parara
Apr 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

I’m heartened by some of the goons saying it was merely corporate bad and watchable and not walk out of the theater bad

That’s a relief

The only movie I've walked out of is 10,000 BC and this is fortunately not on that level.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I kept waiting for a disaster that never came. At worst, it’s stupid and blandly directed. But it’s entertaining enough and TFA was much worse in regards to fan service, IMO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I kept waiting for a disaster that never came. At worst, it’s stupid and blandly directed. But it’s entertaining enough and TFA was much worse in regards to fan service, IMO.

Thank god because I’m 100% going to see it this weekend and have to spend like 50$ on tickets etc

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

euphronius posted:

That’s a relief

That's like the worst a movie can be though. The cinematic equivalent of a rice cracker, covered in 'makes OT kinda pointless' sauce

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

euphronius posted:

That’s a relief

Even the worst prequel isn't this bad

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Also while there are people who go 'well it was ok and maybe even fun' I have yet to see anyone earnestly say it was great. And this is loving Star Wars. TPM has cheerleaders, for crying out loud.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's barely out yet - give it time.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

It's barely out yet - give it time.

That's a good point I guess.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BigglesSWE posted:

I'm... I'm okay with this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

dex_sda posted:

That's like the worst a movie can be though. The cinematic equivalent of a rice cracker, covered in 'makes OT kinda pointless' sauce

The OT isn't purposeless. It's still the only good star wars trilogy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's interesting is seeing reviews saying there simply aren't any noteworthy scenes , just rushing from point d to point e so you don't have time to think about the stupidity of palpatine offering kylo his current job

At least phantom menace has maul and pod racing, and aotc had the cool sonic bomb scene and Fett fights. I guess the most we will get in this is whupping the knights kf ren

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Beeez posted:

That's the thing, all the ways they cut down the significance of the original movies isn't justified by having anything interesting happen in these new ones. None of the new characters are interesting enough to justify it, aside from maybe Ben/Kylo, and the reasons everything that happened in the original trilogy got reset isn't even pertinent to the stories of the new characters in any meaningful way. Nothing the new characters do truly engages with the flaws of the old characters or institutions, so it seems more like they just wanted the iconography/branding to be as recognizable as possible.

I must be weird because I think Kylo/Ben are the worst loving part of TFA and the whole thing is telegraphed from a mile away.

I remember people hating Anakin's portrayal in the prequels because he was too whiny, and then they brought back a character who's the exact same loving thing and It really is loving poo poo.

Kylo/Ren do not interest me at all in this series. The only way to make them interesting at all (and even then it was dumb) is to have them as like twin emperors or something.

The issues with this movie and TLJ are still down to the fact that TFA is a lovely, lovely film, and bad remake of ANH.

Literally everything in the drat thing except Finn is unsalvageable. The whole plot line doesn't make sense as a sequel to ROTJ.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, gently caress Mark Hamill to hell.

uh sure I guess

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

riseofmydick posted:

I must be weird because I think Kylo/Ben are the worst loving part of TFA and the whole thing is telegraphed from a mile away.

I remember people hating Anakin's portrayal in the prequels because he was too whiny, and then they brought back a character who's the exact same loving thing and It really is loving poo poo.

Kylo/Ren do not interest me at all in this series. The only way to make them interesting at all (and even then it was dumb) is to have them as like twin emperors or something.

The issues with this movie and TLJ are still down to the fact that TFA is a lovely, lovely film, and bad remake of ANH.

Literally everything in the drat thing except Finn is unsalvageable. The whole plot line doesn't make sense as a sequel to ROTJ.

In TFA there's literally a scene where he gets some bad news and in a rage breaks his gamer chair and PC, and a guy who was about to bring him some chicken tendies just turns around and walks the other way

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

riseofmydick posted:

Funny thing is when I press people why they don't like that Anakin is whiny, the convo usually goes something like this:

Them: Anakin was awful, he was too whiny!
Me: Why's that a problem?
T: Uh, that's not how he's supposed to be?
M: What do you mean by, "supposed to be?"

and inevitably, the answer is something along the lines of "Well, that's not how I imagined Anakin to be!"

That's why the same people have no problem with Kylo being so whiny, because they had no preconceived idea how this new character was going to act.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't think a character being "whiny" is bad, so I guess that's part of it. I think Ben/Kylo is the only new character that actually kind of seems like a character instead of just a vague, charming symbol of inoffensive protagonist-ness. I think the new protagonists are played by charismatic and talented people, but as characters they don't bring much of anything to the table, and the fact that Disney and co. decided that they had to utilize a regression of the previous generation of characters to facilitate giving the new ones something to do, instead of actually trying to build on the previous movies in a meaningful way, just makes it all the worse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Driver is a lot more handsome and charismatic even though the other guy is a fine actor himself
That’s the main difference imho

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think he's much more strange-looking than Hayden, but on charisma you're probably correct.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The part I still can't get over is that evidently Sheev has a whole other secret empire just waiting to go, just literally dudes hanging out on Star Destroyers beneath the ice 'cause hell they got nothin' better goin' on. Just chillin'.

Like I could buy the death laser ships being remote piloted by Sheev alone through the Force and that would at least make him scary while remaining in the bounds of PG13, but the idea that he's got, what, literally millions of dudes just hanging around that nobody ever knew of while the First Order was already taking over the galaxy and nobody questions it, and has tons of dudes just going "Sheev rules" while he has his big villain scene in his throne room is just goddamn hilarious.

At least in The Old Republic MMO they meticulously set up why there was a sudden surprise secret empire and when you actually play as the non-force-sensitives on that side, there's some interesting stories about how, in fact, that hosed up a lot of the people involved and is a kind of neat example of fantasy-fascist-stand-in leaders inventing grievance to solidify loyalty and a power base.

And then here comes JJ inventing entire factions out of literally nothing because world consistency is for losers and liberals.

Also this stuff with Finn sucks and Boyega deserved a vastly better trio of movies.

riseofmydick posted:

Kylo is a highly interesting idea - a Skywalker kid getting obsessed with grandpa in a way that turns him into basically a mirror of an obsessive star wars fan - and then each filmmaker had no idea what to do with him. He's the sequels in microcosm.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Coming this summer on Disney Plus, the never before seen George Lucas cut of Rise of Skywalker. Also, TLJ is going into the Disney Vault.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Davros1 posted:

Funny thing is when I press people why they don't like that Anakin is whiny, the convo usually goes something like this:

Them: Anakin was awful, he was too whiny!
Me: Why's that a problem?
T: Uh, that's not how he's supposed to be?
M: What do you mean by, "supposed to be?"

and inevitably, the answer is something along the lines of "Well, that's not how I imagined Anakin to be!"

That's why the same people have no problem with Kylo being so whiny, because they had no preconceived idea how this new character was going to act.

Do you not get why listening to someone whine is grating? :confused:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I hope we get a DVD extra showing Sheev grabbing onto a metal pole like Luke did in ESB and then parkouring his way back up the shaft and into an escape pod before the Death Star blows up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most of us have kids yes. I assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Lets face it this trilogy is going to be dissected for decades in how it all went wrong, from the vandalism/retconning of its own storyline, to Carrie Fisher dying and old footage of her from TFA being shoe-horned in