Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Sounded like it was remotely triggered from open terrain.

If you trust CBS local news...

"The man was part of a group of skiers who traveled uphill from an open section of mountain called Big Meadows. The group “took a very hard traverse” into the apron of Chute 1, a double-black run on the ski area’s upper north side that was closed at the top, according to Ski Patrol Director John Kohnke."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Moral of the story is don't go into closed terrain. Closed for a reason.

Steamboat Pilot suggests they werent OB but triggered the slide from below.

Also 9News quotes the same guy:

quote:

Ski Patrol Director John Kohnke told Steamboat Radio, They didnt do anything wrong as far as ducking a rope. They went to the end of a barrier and took such a hard traverse they got into the flats over there.

Seems like Steamboat just didnt rope the runout?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 16, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah could be. When I read "traveled up hill" that usually means to me that they couldn't have got to where they did without doing that.

Based on the snow pack right now it is not surprising for a remote trigger. I am sure caic will have a full report at some point.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, the snowpack seems sketchy as hell now. The wind was crazy coming off Berthoud Pass Friday. Im not looking forward to folks having to deal with this layer the rest of the season.

Stay safe out there, friends.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Meanwhile in Whistler:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

I wish there were beer leagues in Tahoe
how are there NOT beer leagues in Tahoe??

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

how are there NOT beer leagues in Tahoe??

Maybe there are and I don't know of them yet. Generally though: lack of good night skiing?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I have 2 weeks around mount red.

Since I gotta fly from Vancouver to somewhere near Nelson, is it worth checking out fernie or big white? They're near the airports that are closest.

I gotta drive to my friends in Nelson from there, so it's either or.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Macnult posted:

Im in the market for a new board and Im torn between Burtons Custom Camber and the DC Ply. I currently have a Process Flying V which I wasnt too thrilled with, didnt care for the overall feel especially since Im stuck riding the ice coast mostly. In hindsight I shouldve went with the full camber.

I grew up surfing and skateboarding, so the light weight and advertised skatey feel of the Ply appeals to me. I mess around in the park a bit with rails and boxes, but Im usually there for the jumps. On regular trails I prefer large carves and finding anything I can launch from.

The only reason Im considering a Custom is because I have EST Malavitas. If I went with the Ply, Id have to get new bindings which isnt a big deal for me. Ive never heard anyone complain about riding a Custom, so Im not too worried if I go down that route. Last time I rode one was about ten years ago and I had no issues.

Price point Im not worried about either. I work at a ski shop and have proforms for both DC and Burton, although I will say Burton kinda sucks when it comes to discounting shop workers.

Can anyone chime in on these boards? I know the Custom is tried and true, but Im super curious about how the Ply rides
I have a lot of experience with the Burton Custom, Custom Twin and Custom X but none with the DC Ply but the flat sections at the ends of the camber section in the DC Ply remind me a lot of the "modern" camber in the Capita Outsiders and a few other similar boards. I like the catchiness of traditional camber and am not a fan of the extended contact points in those types of boards because it gives it a slightly less precise feel and more progressive initiation. You might love the less hooky feel but when I go full camber I like having that super precise bite of the leading contact point which I why, for example, I love the Custom X so much better than the Flight Attendant. Lots of positive reviews out there on the DC Ply including Avran over at Angry Snowboarder so it's likely a matter of pure personal preference.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 16, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Macnult posted:

Im in the market for a new board and Im torn between Burtons Custom Camber and the DC Ply. I currently have a Process Flying V which I wasnt too thrilled with, didnt care for the overall feel especially since Im stuck riding the ice coast mostly. In hindsight I shouldve went with the full camber.

I grew up surfing and skateboarding, so the light weight and advertised skatey feel of the Ply appeals to me. I mess around in the park a bit with rails and boxes, but Im usually there for the jumps. On regular trails I prefer large carves and finding anything I can launch from.

The only reason Im considering a Custom is because I have EST Malavitas. If I went with the Ply, Id have to get new bindings which isnt a big deal for me. Ive never heard anyone complain about riding a Custom, so Im not too worried if I go down that route. Last time I rode one was about ten years ago and I had no issues.

Price point Im not worried about either. I work at a ski shop and have proforms for both DC and Burton, although I will say Burton kinda sucks when it comes to discounting shop workers.

Can anyone chime in on these boards? I know the Custom is tried and true, but Im super curious about how the Ply rides

I'd probably suggest the Custom of these 2 just because I couldn't imagine riding East Coast conditions with anything but camber. However, iirc, DC's boards are now made at the Mothership (Capita's factory in Austria) so they should be built really loving well.

But are these the only brands your shop carries? I'm pretty sure my son has already earned both his free K2 & Capita boards for meeting sales goals.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Yuns posted:

I have a lot of experience with the Burton Custom, Custom Twin and Custom X but none with the DC Ply but the flat sections at the ends of the camber section in the DC Ply remind me a lot of the "modern" camber in the Capita Outsiders and a few other similar boards. I like the catchiness of traditional camber and am not a fan of the extended contact points in those types of boards because it gives it a slightly less precise feel and more progressive initiation. You might love the less hooky feel but when I go full camber I like having that super precise bite of the leading contact point which I why, for example, I love the Custom X so much better than the Flight Attendant. Lots of positive reviews out there on the DC Ply including Avran over at Angry Snowboarder so it's likely a matter of pure personal preference.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I figure I'd rather go with something tried and true rather than jump into something I've only read about. Part of what had me leaning toward the Ply was that Angry Snowboarder review, but thanks for the extra info w/r/t riding a Custom.

highme posted:

I'd probably suggest the Custom of these 2 just because I couldn't imagine riding East Coast conditions with anything but camber. However, iirc, DC's boards are now made at the Mothership (Capita's factory in Austria) so they should be built really loving well.

But are these the only brands your shop carries? I'm pretty sure my son has already earned both his free K2 & Capita boards for meeting sales goals.

Yep! The are made at the Mothership.

The shop I work at currently sells Burton, DC, and K2. We just picked up DC this season which caught my attention. I do like K2, I used to have a Happy Hour and a World Wide Weapon, but since I have only have EST Bindings right now I'm definitely gonna go with a Custom Camber.

That said, DC has won me over with their Mutiny boots.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a 2009 Burton Custom Camber and while its probably not exactly the same as recent ones, its a definitely cool and good board. I ride a Burton Juice Wagon now (family tree) but the custom was good for the 8ish years I rode it.

I want a powder board now since I'll be doing northern hemisphere trips more often and neither really cut it for deeper snow.

highme
May 25, 2001

psst.. just getting the ball rolling now, but it looks like might be a EZLOUNGIN Japan trip next winter with these folks --> https://powderplanners.com/

You know, if you know anybody that likes deep poof and good foods.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

psst.. just getting the ball rolling now, but it looks like might be a EZLOUNGIN Japan trip next winter with these folks --> https://powderplanners.com/

I would be interested but my girl skis and would probably murder me if I went to Japan without her. We are planning on going back next season.

I will have to look at those details some more but the price doesn't seem absolutely terrible for a week.

highme
May 25, 2001

There's a chance we'd nerd out too hard on the Japanese electric infrastructure, I do it enough on my own. At least by that point (unless something drastic happens in the next month) I will no longer be working on the design side of things.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So you would also take this photo....

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

highme posted:

You had to wait till I came back to the US huh. For anyone on the fence--go to Japan, eat amazing food, surf deep pow, talk to nice people and take lots of baths. It's always worth it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

this week I found myself skipping work in the morning to go skate skiing while blower lake effect powder was falling on our almost-record-breaking early-season snowpack. I'm about to do it again tomorrow

what the gently caress am i doing with my life

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uh.. go ride powder you fool!

E: 92" at Ripley already... drat

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 19, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

Mongoose posted:

You had to wait till I came back to the US huh. For anyone on the fence--go to Japan, eat amazing food, surf deep pow, talk to nice people and take lots of baths. It's always worth it.

Sounds like a good excuse to go back.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Since I am not skiing this holiday season I am decorating Xmas trees and selling them to tourists at exorbitant prices. And spending the money on booze and good food.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
bah

and i cannot emphasize this enough

humbug

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Normally I would agree but that tree bought me a nice bottle of whiskey

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I actually got out riding last night. (First time in 2 years!). Always that sketchy moment when getting off the lift the first time, but yeah, I still know how to ride a board. Legs are crying today, though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Back country is getting good despite typical Colorado weak layer bull. Had a really good day up on Vail pass putting in about 2600'.

And we saw what could be our next week layer...

Looks pretty though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So it snowed about a meter in Whistler this week, but it's still nowhere near enough. Had a good powder day on Saturday, with no base I thought it would completely wreck my skis but nah, just went over one tree that left a nice scratch, but nothing too bad.

The storm has passed through though, and there still isn't enough snow to open the alpine, so unless some miracle happens they're going to have to go through most of the Christmas holiday with the entire upper half of the mountain being closed, which does not bode well for crowd levels. There have been so many collisions and accidents from there being too many people on the mountain already.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is a bummer. I will be up in Canada in a few days. 186 cm settled base from the weather station near where we ski.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How the storm cam looks clear

How the storm cam looks today

quote:

It's been another night of non-stop precipitation at Castle Mountain Resort and, with freezing levels at valley bottom, it's looking like there will be some great skiing and riding out here again today. Good morning this is Cole with your morning report for Sunday, December 22.

It's been precipitating here for what seems like forever, even if it really did only get started on Thursday night. While wet snow conditions exist on the lower mountain, abundant snowfall on terrain above mid-mountain - more than 50 CM's for this storm cycle - means some great turns are to be had here today! Stay high for the best conditions.

Speaking of those valley temps - they're dropping. This morning we're expecting the freezing level to hit valley bottom. Top to bottom snow is in the forecast today with another 10 CM's possible. We'll see the winds today out of the east at 20 km/h - a sure sign that cooler temps are on the way.

Expect Sundance (Blue) Chair, Huckleberry Chair, Green Chair and Buckaroo carpet to open promptly at 9 AM this morning with Tamarack (Red) Chair scheduled for 9:30 AM but likely to take a bit longer due to avalanche control being necessary.

:q:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 22, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I normally use mountainwatch.com's 'snow' app on iOS to track my local snow reports but this app does not include Red (where Im going end of Jan) and would like to have a handy way to check on the reports that does not involve going to a website.

they have a 3D trail map app but cant seem to find an app that reports the snowfall/forecast. anyone know of one?

also if anyone can recommend a boot fitter/board shop in Nelson that'd be swell :). wanna get some new gear while Im in town.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Achievement unlocked! Take both kids up skiing (all by myself). Finally got my six year old on skis (better late than never). Hes fearless, gonna be a lil ripper.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

I normally use mountainwatch.com's 'snow' app on iOS to track my local snow reports but this app does not include Red (where Im going end of Jan) and would like to have a handy way to check on the reports that does not involve going to a website.

they have a 3D trail map app but cant seem to find an app that reports the snowfall/forecast. anyone know of one?

also if anyone can recommend a boot fitter/board shop in Nelson that'd be swell :). wanna get some new gear while Im in town.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Red-Mountain/6day/mid Not sure if they have an app though....

opensnow.cm will have a forecast for red as well. https://opensnow.com/location/caredmtn

I find the avalanche.ca forecast to be really good too but not specific to the mountain.

I will ask about a Nelson Boot fitter and reply back.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Achievement unlocked! Take both kids up skiing (all by myself). Finally got my six year old on skis (better late than never). Hes fearless, gonna be a lil ripper.

My GF and I took my buddies 6 year old twins up Peru lift and down schoolmarm. They rocked it. It was one of the girls first time off the bunny hill and on a lift. I skied the entire time backwards and they followed me left and right all the way down. It was cool. Then I gave them some fruit snacks at the bottom. It was pretty drat cool.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 23, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

My buddy says Gericks or ROAM is the way to go.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spwrozek posted:

My buddy says Gericks or ROAM is the way to go.

Thank you for going to that effort for me!

I imagine a good boot fitter is board/ski agnostic but if it matters I board.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would guess yes. He skis though.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

HookShot posted:

Meanwhile in Whistler:

It sucks because I'm sitting in my apartment checking to snow report daily waiting for a morning I can justify driving out from Vancouver, but I am also cackling every single time knowing how many disappointed rich people there are going to be this week and how they're all going to be packed into a few dozen runs. I hope nobody you know or care about is working in the service industry (lol).

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How the storm cam looks clear

How the storm cam looks today

:q:

This is what I miss the absolute most about southern Alberta.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It sucks because I'm sitting in my apartment checking to snow report daily waiting for a morning I can justify driving out from Vancouver, but I am also cackling every single time knowing how many disappointed rich people there are going to be this week and how they're all going to be packed into a few dozen runs. I hope nobody you know or care about is working in the service industry (lol).
Yeah, straight up do not come up yet. It is 100% not worth it. To get to our training run today we had to go through an ungroomed mogul run (literally just the top part of cougar milk, they had us training where the GMC race center normally is LOL) and every single one of us straight-up wrecked our skis on all the rocks and stuff.

Plus the alpine not only doesn't have enough snow but it's also super avalanche prone right now (I don't know the details because I don't understand a lot of the avy stuff) and they're bombing literally everything so that when there is snow they can open it, but it's not going to happen this week and already today on Jersey Cream the lift lines were 20+ minutes long all day.

I'm really glad I'm not working in the service industry here. Because yeah, it would suck HARD right now.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

HookShot posted:

Yeah, straight up do not come up yet. It is 100% not worth it. To get to our training run today we had to go through an ungroomed mogul run (literally just the top part of cougar milk, they had us training where the GMC race center normally is LOL) and every single one of us straight-up wrecked our skis on all the rocks and stuff.

Plus the alpine not only doesn't have enough snow but it's also super avalanche prone right now (I don't know the details because I don't understand a lot of the avy stuff) and they're bombing literally everything so that when there is snow they can open it, but it's not going to happen this week and already today on Jersey Cream the lift lines were 20+ minutes long all day.

I'm really glad I'm not working in the service industry here. Because yeah, it would suck HARD right now.

How does this year compare to previous seasons, out of curiosity?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

How does this year compare to previous seasons, out of curiosity?
There have definitely been worse, but not in a while. It was like this last year until around December 15th, but then something like 3 meters of snow fell in December and everything was fine after that. The closest I remember was my first season here, in 2013/2014, and it was pretty bad but this is worse.

There was one year around 2005 that was pretty terrible apparently, and a couple in the nineties. It happens, but I think climate change is making it happen more and more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

More than a little glad I was able to steer our quadrennial "Cold Family Xmas" from my dad's original idea of Whistler to Bachelor.