Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He died from cumming too hard after finally getting that smooch

I mean he maybe touched some boob too, what else did he have to live for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm ready for a fresh round of webcomic hot takes on star wars

And then Disney capitulated to those whiny bastards and

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I don't think that comic is wrong per se but the idea that Disney is disdainful of toxic fans doesn't really hold up given the trajectory of the films or actions by the studio. At the end of the day Disney was happy to give them what they wanted if it meant more money.

Edit: Beaten by seconds.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

lol oh no poor george had to sell the franchise for $4 billion because it wasn't fun for him anymore :cry:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Uncle Wemus posted:

pretty sure the boycott was just dipshits on /pol/ and that bald fucker crying. sucks bout some of the others too but lol at lucas and bitching that people like adam driver and that he can make a villian interesting. also jake loyd sucked at acting. deal with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah the George Lucas one is dumb. The rest is fine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah the George Lucas one is dumb. The rest is fine.

the lucas one and the last 3 are dumb the rest are fine if somewhat embellished.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly I love how pathetically sad they make him look

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Honestly now that the book is written Ben Solo is the only vaguely interesting character in the movies, possibly because he's the only one with an arc.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

So when he makes out with Rey, what am I to take from that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man I just don’t want any more Star Wars movies that take place anywhere near the end of the ST. Timeskip and drop the baggage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Disney, despite having infinite financial resources, couldn't make even a vaguely coherent movie trilogy. Something's hosed.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

they should make a star wars set in the future

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

kidkissinger posted:

So when he makes out with Rey, what am I to take from that

Another case of Disney inadvertently exposing the truth, this time that white women have class solidarity with white men

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Necrothatcher posted:

Disney, despite having infinite financial resources, couldn't make even a vaguely coherent movie trilogy. Something's hosed.

Here's what I don't get:

You're a soulless corporation only interested in money (but I repeat myself). You want a crowd-pleasing trilogy to make you all the money.

First movie: hire a guy who did a slick reboot of Star Trek that made lots of money, a guy who takes good ensembles and plays to the actors strengths, who can give you a good looking movie and handle action and comedy OK. It's going to be shallow but you don't give a poo poo about that because he can milk nostalgia and OT cameos without derailing the introduction of the new actors and deliver a blockbuster. Plus everybody likes working with him and it's a painless, low-drama scene.

Movie sets the table for sequels, makes a trillion dollars, so far so good. Artistically it's meh but who cares, you're a corporate greed freak, remember?

Next step: give the second movie to someone who wants to deliberately gently caress with the audience as much as possible and poo poo on Star Wars precedent at every turn, with apparently no oversight and infinite money. This is not a BAD thing in principle, it's certainly less boring than just making a generic Star Wars nostalgia recycling thing, but it makes absolutely no loving sense from a soulless corporate product perspective. Shockingly it alienates a bunch of the audience and makes less money, the one thing that's not acceptable.

So now the gently caress what? You bring back in JJ, but all the poo poo he set up was poo poo-canned in the last movie. Maybe those ideas were lame, fine, but the closest thing there was to a plan has been set on fire and nobody knows what the gently caress. The one smart thing would be to push everything off and really start over but instead they just stuck to the timetable and I guess the result was a hot mess.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TLJ was always going to make less money no matter how good or bad it was

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dark Empire IV: Rise of Triclops.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm not sure if the contention that last Jedi "alienating," people caused it to "make less money," or your characterization of the bullshit JJ threw against the wall without even caring what would stick as a "plan," is more funny.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t think Disney put much more thought into it than “Johnson made some successful sci-fi films but not so successful we have to pay him a bajillion, get him in here.” It’s probably the exact same logic they used to tap Whedon for Avengers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Uncle Wemus posted:

What is Rylo cosplaying exactly?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sean10mm posted:

Next step: give the second movie to someone who wants to deliberately gently caress with the audience as much as possible and poo poo on Star Wars precedent at every turn, with apparently no oversight and infinite money. This is not a BAD thing in principle, it's certainly less boring than just making a generic Star Wars nostalgia recycling thing, but it makes absolutely no loving sense from a soulless corporate product perspective. Shockingly it alienates a bunch of the audience and makes less money, the one thing that's not acceptable.

So now the gently caress what? You bring back in JJ, but all the poo poo he set up was poo poo-canned in the last movie. Maybe those ideas were lame, fine, but the closest thing there was to a plan has been set on fire and nobody knows what the gently caress. The one smart thing would be to push everything off and really start over but instead they just stuck to the timetable and I guess the result was a hot mess.

I still think TLJ is okay as its own movie and I like some of the directions it tried to go in, but yeah - whose loving idea was it to just let ~whatever~ happen for the second movie????? TLJ aside (and I have warmed to that movie somewhat post-TROS), that is hilariously lovely planning.

Not that I’m broken up about a corporation losing money and face.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

theblackw0lf posted:

Also George can't direct actors worth poo poo.

isn't Lucas famous for this? like whenever there's a good performance it's in spite of him?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not sure if the contention that last Jedi "alienating," people caused it to "make less money," or your characterization of the bullshit JJ threw against the wall without even caring what would stick as a "plan," is more funny.

I wrote that from the corporate garbageman POV. The same guys who were mad Batman V Superman only made huge instead of super huge money and were stunned that their weird nerd auteur director didn't give them a generic Marvel movie with different outfits.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yes. Its the loving fans fault the movie turned out poo poo. The fans control what disney does, of course!
I knew they would pull some poo poo like this.
It’s all rear end-covering propaganda.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They seriously should have re-used the Galaxy Gun and the ridiculous Eclipse-class Super Extra Super Star Destroyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abrams was the emergency hire for 9. He wasn’t the original plan.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the lucas one and the last 3 are dumb the rest are fine if somewhat embellished.

They’re all dumb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Were they seriously going to do 3 different directors for a trilogy? I mean, good thing it’s Disney that proved it was a bad idea, but god drat.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Just saw this. This in my opinion might be the worst Star Wars film yet, including Solo. It completely lacks focus, plot is all over the place, the leaks seemed accurate. Deus ex machina all over the place. I'm still for glad I saw it. Don't know if it was viable to salvage the trilogy given there was no overarching plan whatever or it was abandoned in ep8. I did get chills from the ruins of the death star throne room though.

The ridiculously sized fleets on both sides somehow peeved me the most.

I'm not honestly angry because I had such low expectations coming to the film.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Its Coke posted:

isn't Lucas famous for this? like whenever there's a good performance it's in spite of him?

Pretty sure Kasdan at least is on the record calling him a poo poo director at some point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Were they seriously going to do 3 different directors for a trilogy? I mean, good thing it’s Disney that proved it was a bad idea, but god drat.

Marvel does it. Idk I’m not Kathleen Kennedy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

Do you guys like to think about how The Book of Henry started a chain reaction that tipped over one of the biggest franchises of all time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Marvel does it. Idk I’m not Kathleen Kennedy.

Marvel has even less brain cells than Star Wars, it doesn’t matter there

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Lucas himself admits he's not an actor's director and he has little talent for dialogue. He always loved editing

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Pretty sure Kasdan at least is on the record calling him a poo poo director at some point.

Of course he would that loving snake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc Abrams originally would only commit to one movie

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mulva posted:

I'm glad that Ben got to first base, a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

here lies kylo, he never scored

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Iirc Abrams originally would only commit to one movie

The right answer to that is “alright, let’s think of the long-term value of our investment and get someone who’s available for all three then”, not “gently caress IT DO IT LIVE”.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wild Horses posted:

Yes. Its the loving fans fault the movie turned out poo poo. The fans control what disney does, of course!
I knew they would pull some poo poo like this.
It’s all rear end-covering propaganda.

Who's "they"? The poster in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Abrams came in late and had very little time to write a script, as Disney for baffling reasons refused to move the deadline much.

It's hard for me to be too upset at him.