Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad this show exists in a time when the other major sci-fi monolith is crashing and burning right now. We're truly so lucky to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

I'm glad this show exists in a time when the other major sci-fi monolith is crashing and burning right now. We're truly so lucky to have it.

Remember when Star Trek was even a thing?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Norton the First posted:

Remember when Star Trek was even a thing?

I hold out a small candle of hope for Picard...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

The Orville is doing fine :colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

double nine posted:

The Orville is doing fine :colbert:

I was just about to say this, what other scifi is even on right now?

Another life? Because I enjoy that, but in a Star Ship Troopers way, it's so bad it's good.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

I hold out a small candle of hope for Picard...

That's dumb. You're dumb.

No offense, but give up, man. Find peace in resignation.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

I was just about to say this, what other scifi is even on right now?

Another life? Because I enjoy that, but in a Star Ship Troopers way, it's so bad it's good.

Another season of Lost in Space is coming to Netflix at the end of the month

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

loving A, brother. This show is firing on all cylinders like nothing I've ever seen and I am genuinely enthused at the prospect of more seasons.

don't get me wrong, the Orville is a great show to and I'm really glad it got renewed but The Expanse is entirely next level.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Norton the First posted:

That's dumb. You're dumb.

No offense, but give up, man. Find peace in resignation.

No. If it sucks after one episode I'll not watch anymore. It's not a big deal. I already wasted a lot more hours of my life on horrible shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nail Rat posted:

No. If it sucks after one episode I'll not watch anymore. It's not a big deal. I already wasted a lot more hours of my life on horrible shows.

Dude there are dozens of good to great shows that had awful first epsidoes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think you need to see like 3 episodes before you can make a good determination. Might be a little different now since I don't think Amazon/Netflix shows don't do pilots which is why the first episode of a show often felt vastly different in terms of quality and thus not a really good indication of future shows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TMMadman posted:

Another season of Lost in Space is coming to Netflix at the end of the month

The first season sucked on ice, why would they make another?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I think you need to see like 3 episodes before you can make a good determination. Might be a little different now since I don't think Amazon/Netflix shows don't do pilots which is why the first episode of a show often felt vastly different in terms of quality and thus not a really good indication of future shows.

I don't know if they're still doing it but Amazon had a "Pilot Season" thing where you could watch a bunch of pilot episodes and vote on which ones would get picked up for a full season. Maybe not every show has a traditional pilot show but it's definitely still a thing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

We're living in an interesting time where streaming services are on the rise and the classic network TV model is dying, so shows that would otherwise never see the light of day are getting multi season orders for better or worse

For All Mankind is great for example but had it been made in 2005 it would have been a summer replacement show on Fox for 5 episodes and cancelled after having aired 3.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I disagree. It had its flaws, but I certainly don't think it sucked on ice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TMMadman posted:

I disagree. It had its flaws, but I certainly don't think it sucked on ice.

In the spirit of the show, I will not tell you information you need to know about why the show is bad even though we are meeting right now and I could easily tell you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

In the spirit of the show, I will not tell you information you need to know about why the show is bad even though we are meeting right now and I could easily tell you.

Lmao

That is indeed one of the flaws

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Expanse is in such a rare class of TV shows that maintain a consistent level of quality season over season, I was almost apprehensive about this latest season just abruptly making GBS threads the bed, for no other reason than to fulfill some inscrutable physical law of balance.

Or maybe it's just the fifth season where the show is supposed to go to poo poo, if precedence is anything to go on (GoT, Simpsons, Family Guy, Lost)

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The Clowner posted:

Or maybe it's just the fifth season where the show is supposed to go to poo poo, if precedence is anything to go on (GoT, Simpsons, Family Guy, Lost)

Unless the creative team drastically changed between this season and s5, I wouldn't worry about it. The material they're going to be adapting is real good and they will never run ahead of the books like GoT did. As long as the writing team continues adapting the books as they have been, the show should continue to be great.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For whatever it's worth, this season has been significantly weaker than S3 (and probably also weaker than S2). But that's just a comment on how shockingly good the series has been.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'd say this was by far the worst season, but still excellent and better than most everything on TV. It's just instead of being a solid 90% it's like an 85%.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's pacing, not quality. The last half of S3 was all climax all the time. This is something of a reset and S5 will be bigger. If they adapt the whole series this will happen again for part of season 7, which is where the third main story arc starts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really liked the chemistry of Bobby, Avasarala, and spy dude. I'm hoping Bobby and Avasarala team up and become like buddy private investigators or something.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

For me at least, much like in the book, there's this feeling of anticipation about what's going to happen that got a little in the way of enjoying the good moments of this season. It's not really filler, since it's setting up a bunch of important concepts and story-lines but it can't quite get away from the fact it is setting up the next major set of story arcs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's extremely not filler but doesn't pay off for quite a while. Which is one of the difficulties in adapting a novel series. They've said that partway through writing the third book they sat down and outlined the entire series to its conclusion, so they're playing the long game with some of this stuff.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The ending of this season felt kinda rushed. The threat of Inaros had plenty of foreshadowing, but aside from that, we're very quickly shown that the Martians were smuggling stealth tech to the Belters; that Inaros hijacked some asteroids; that he used the stealth tech on the asteroids; and that he launched them at Earth. IMO there wasn't enough time to let each of those individual incidents breathe, and if not for reading the books, some of it might have been lost on me. I think even just one more episode's worth of time would've helped to space out the events of the last episode.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

It's hard to go from an all out war and protomolecule shenanigans to space-frontierism. They did a great job honestly.

I think season 5 is gonna ramp back up into crazy and I honestly can't wait.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

404notfound posted:

The ending of this season felt kinda rushed. The threat of Inaros had plenty of foreshadowing, but aside from that, we're very quickly shown that the Martians were smuggling stealth tech to the Belters; that Inaros hijacked some asteroids; that he used the stealth tech on the asteroids; and that he launched them at Earth. IMO there wasn't enough time to let each of those individual incidents breathe, and if not for reading the books, some of it might have been lost on me. I think even just one more episode's worth of time would've helped to space out the events of the last episode.

I think it would've been fine if it was still a weekly release.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Amos ending spoilers: Amos getting shot and then being okay just kinda because feels just like how it's presented in the book. I'd say it's a remnant of the production cycle that hit the books where, for a time, Cibola Burn was going to the the final one. In that case, Amos was probably going to die there before the series got extended.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cibola Burn was never going to be the end. By the time they started they knew it was a nine to twelve book series. I don't remember when they cut it back from twelve though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I totally forgot the ship engines were called Epstein Drives. I would watch an entire spin off series about Bobi Draper: Adorable Gangster .

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mars looks pretty dull imo. Glad the BDBMA stuff seems to be over. (Bobbie Draper Black Market Adventure)

Also the blindness and toxin slug storylines are right out of a lovely mid-season episode of star trek. But other than that I loved the season.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 19, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the green eye microbes were enough of a problem, the slugs were just dumb.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I did like how Murtry kept trying to betray everyone only for every attempt to get sideswiped by weird alien bullshit before he could pull the trigger

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I was pretty surprised that the slugs made it into the show. Amazingly, there were multiple additional emergencies that didn't make the cut.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Toast Museum posted:

I was pretty surprised that the slugs made it into the show. Amazingly, there were multiple additional emergencies that didn't make the cut.

And thank gently caress for that, watching this season (especially shotgunning it) I felt like I did after Bad Boys 2. It's just one thing after the other with no relent:

I'm probably forgetting something but it's like:
-pistols drawn showdown between RCE and the entire settlement leading into
-oh no the alien doors are closing and are gonna trap holden! leading into
-oh no pushing the button is making lightning happen (in 13 strikes around the globe) and one of them coincidentally is going to hit the settlement into
-oh poo poo there's a big dig-dug horn spinning around and it coincidentally is heading right for the settlement, again, into
-oh poo poo a reactor exploded and the shockwave is going to hit the settlement! into
-the shockwave also has a tsunami that is going to flood the settlement! into
-oh god we ran out of time we have to get this flood blocking wall up right now holden look out! into
-moon lazor beems will melt everything coming from or leaving the surface into
-oh hey all the ships in orbit are falling towards the surface, time to die into
-welp everyone is also now blind, this sucks, but probably not too big a deal EXCEPT
-hey killer slugs that we now can't see and just touching them kills you

It's exhausting! Season was only 10 eps, and that's JUST some of the stuff on Ilus.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Kaedric posted:

And thank gently caress for that, watching this season (especially shotgunning it) I felt like I did after Bad Boys 2. It's just one thing after the other with no relent:

I'm probably forgetting something but it's like:
-pistols drawn showdown between RCE and the entire settlement leading into
-oh no the alien doors are closing and are gonna trap holden! leading into
-oh no pushing the button is making lightning happen (in 13 strikes around the globe) and one of them coincidentally is going to hit the settlement into
-oh poo poo there's a big dig-dug horn spinning around and it coincidentally is heading right for the settlement, again, into
-oh poo poo a reactor exploded and the shockwave is going to hit the settlement! into
-the shockwave also has a tsunami that is going to flood the settlement! into
-oh god we ran out of time we have to get this flood blocking wall up right now holden look out! into
-moon lazor beems will melt everything coming from or leaving the surface into
-oh hey all the ships in orbit are falling towards the surface, time to die into
-welp everyone is also now blind, this sucks, but probably not too big a deal EXCEPT
-hey killer slugs that we now can't see and just touching them kills you

It's exhausting! Season was only 10 eps, and that's JUST some of the stuff on Ilus.

and the weird thing is that Season 3 was so loving bonkers that S4 was still significantly slower-paced than S3 despite being jam-packed with constant crises

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Illus is almost as dangerous as Australia.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Almost. No one has held a death slug up to the camera and gone "Crikey, she's a beaut!" yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

Almost. No one has held a death slug up to the camera and gone "Crikey, she's a beaut!" yet.

If Steve Irwin was still alive, he would.