Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

The cowards!

G 8TRAND ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreatRand?

Oh god, this is gonna be some kind of horrible dystopian Ann Rand wank-fest. Complete with a 5 minute long rant that's unskippable, and shortly after a checkpoint into a section of the game that disallows saves.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

GreatRand?

Oh god, this is gonna be some kind of horrible dystopian Ann Rand wank-fest. Complete with a 5 minute long rant that's unskippable, and shortly after a checkpoint into a section of the game that disallows saves.

Imagine thinking a true Randian rant is only five minutes long

Mendrian posted:

I assume this is a joke but what?

They're extremely mad about typographical accuracy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mendrian posted:

It should be VALVE.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleenstones?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Mendrian posted:

It used to be more common back in the day, but in places like the Steam forum it always annoyed the gently caress out of me when people would use that spelling because it just looks really stupid and the company's logo isn't even stylized like that. I dunno why it's still around but it bothers me whenever I see it. Anyway it was just an attempt at a humor joke, nothing more

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's just people letting go of the shift key too early.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you're not spelling Valve as a full ASCII representation of the dude with the valve in his head then what the gently caress are you even doing?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 has workshop support. Mostly it's a lot of supercars that you can find and rebuild to sell for money. But there's also racetracks that you can visit and drive around on.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The thrilling G String renaming saga has concluded, and the winner is "G String but with a generic subtitle so Google understands it's not about knickers!"

quote:

Most likely this will be the final name to differentiate it from the beta and make more searchable on google. And also because it fits both the end-time theme of the game and also this release being the apex of along development cycle IRL.

This way both old players who like the name are happy and new players will be less confused as well- and it sounds cool. Hopefully everyone is satisfied.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ruflux posted:

The thrilling G String renaming saga has concluded, and the winner is "G String but with a generic subtitle so Google understands it's not about knickers!"

quote:

quote:

Most likely this will be the final name to differentiate it from the beta and make more searchable on google. And also because it fits both the end-time theme of the game and also this release being the apex of along development cycle IRL.

This way both old players who like the name are happy and new players will be less confused as well- and it sounds cool. Hopefully everyone is satisfied.
Narrator : No one was satisfied.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We made it more easily searchable by adding the name of an already currently popular game to the title

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Danaru posted:

We made it more easily searchable by adding the name of an already currently popular game to the title

And added in such an easily recognizable key to replace the S in string! Boy howdy am I glad that the helix key replaced the home key a year or two ago.

Typically renames looking for recognition actually rename the thing. Not, y'know, just add subtitles and have their title fancy up the original name.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I experimentally searched for g string apex and I can tell you right now that it does not lead you to a half life 2 mod. Instead it leads to tutorials on the String class in Salesforce’s Apex programming language. Did you think it was gonna be sex stuff? I thought it was gonna be sex stuff. (The sex stuff is much further down my results page - did you know thighs have an apex? Apparently erotic writers do.)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

I experimentally searched for g string apex and I can tell you right now that it does not lead you to a half life 2 mod. Instead it leads to tutorials on the String class in Salesforce’s Apex programming language. Did you think it was gonna be sex stuff? I thought it was gonna be sex stuff. (The sex stuff is much further down my results page - did you know thighs have an apex? Apparently erotic writers do.)

Also notable is the result all the way down on the first page, "Bass Guitar For Dummies"

fake edit: The image search results are definitely not of either the Half-Life 2 mod, or the Apex language, or bass guitar playing. Yeah I definitely think something like Gene String just might work better if searchability is the concern. I have no idea how youtube's gonna treat this same search either.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Since today's Christmas, I'm giving out extra Humble Bundle codes in different threads.

For this thread, I've got Sonic Adventure DX, since that's probably a game you can mod with BetterSADX. (I'm sort of running out of codes)

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=D67Cn3**K8**7BGF

Just replace the asterisks in the link with bold characters in the above sentences. They're all in the same order (first asterisk is replaced by the first bold letter, second asterisk is replaced by second, etc.)

Please let me know if you got the code to work. Otherwise, I'll fret about it all day.

Merry Christmas! Please remember to endorse your favorite holiday themed mods!

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 25, 2019

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Gift worked, TY!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Nexus Mods website has been making GBS threads the bed for a good while now. Apparently they had a security breach last month and only deigned to tell their userbase last week about the issue. On top of that their new "please give us money" passive aggressive push to get people to buy premium is slowing their websites to a crawl.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's also impossible to log in with a lot of browsers now because their "new and improved" more secure login method shits itself any time you try to use it with a browser that has any real security addons at all. Enjoy using that shitheap in Microsoft Edge if you want to be using it at all anymore.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
All of the junk with Wabbajack, Nexus and skyrim mods underneath a lot of mod discussions and update patterns made me basically quit using them. Now i just follow this thread, and a few others, to see what neat things are happening in the modding scene.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Huh. I haven't had any problems logging on to get Stardew Valley mods, though it still has been pushy and begging me for money I don't have.

Maybe the servers are just turbofucked for the big games?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Nexus Mods website has been making GBS threads the bed for a good while now. Apparently they had a security breach last month and only deigned to tell their userbase last week about the issue. On top of that their new "please give us money" passive aggressive push to get people to buy premium is slowing their websites to a crawl.

That's not uncommon to inform about a security breach with such a delay - it's something you have to verify and find the scope of before you inform your customers.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's also impossible to log in with a lot of browsers now because their "new and improved" more secure login method shits itself any time you try to use it with a browser that has any real security addons at all. Enjoy using that shitheap in Microsoft Edge if you want to be using it at all anymore.

What's a "real security addon" ?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pseudorandom name posted:

What's a "real security addon" ?
Bad phrasing, I means substantial or noticeable. Just stuff that gives you control over trackers, third party frames, javascripting, ads, etc. The site does currently just does not deal with it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A trend I'm seeing that I hate is people making mods for/about their favourite obscure youtubers.

:wtc:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly after five years of the awful mod thread I can't even bring myself to be bothered by that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Same, though for me, it's the 'dismembered female torso swords' mod that did me in. After that, all these other mods seem so prosaic.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Amateur YouTubers are desperate to produce video content that can only be found on their channel, and amateur modders are desperate for exposure and downloads. Thus these two parties enter the exchange of pandering and streaming, streaming and pandering, an intricate cosmic dance that simple babes like you and I can only feebly interpret

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Today, in celebration of its final part being released, I'm gonna talk about an Awful Mod that I love.

Just Another Day is a long-running, satirical mod series for Freespace 2. It's got disco music. It's got impenetrable references to the FS2 modding community. It's got Derek Smart as a featured antagonist. And then it gets weird. And then it gets anime.

You see, I'd essentially divide the series between JADs1-3 and the later-developed JADs2.2.1-2.2.3. Yes this makes no sense, yes this is confusing. The former mods are a strange but comparatively traditional set of missions. You play as Alpha 1, the default callsign of the player character in almost every official and fan-made FS2 campaign, and must battle the machinations of FRED aka the game's editing program. In the latter series you play as three different anime teen archetypes (spoiled daddy's girl who's in love with the platonic ideal of Alpha 1, fame-obsessed hotshot ladykiller with a dark past, and completely bland, forgettable male character with brown hair) and must pilot experimental fighters to defend the galaxy against the devastating Beta Testers in a very obvious parody of Evangelion. Between campaign missions the mod features a fully functioning visual novel and it is a loooooooooooot.

Luckily, the writing is silly and even mostly funny, and the gameplay itself is a blast. JAD2.2 plays very differently from the base game in that many of its levels are boss fights, and your ships are nimble and borderline-OP. You're swatting down hordes of fighters with ridiculous firepower before hitting the berserk mode and doing the same to capitals. Despite its ridiculous nature, the things this mod does to the Freespace Open engine are nothing short of mindblowing. If you've got a copy of Freespace 2 and a tolerance for anime and disco, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. If you don't own a copy of Freespace 2 then I don't even consider you human.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

oh no, not the peasants!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The peasants are revolting! And rebelling against us too!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't look it up right now but does anyone know if the MMod team made a version for Half Life Source or if it's just for Half Life 2?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DEREK SMART! DEREK SMART! DEREK SMART!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Holy poo poo the final JAD dropped? That's legitimately good news.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In wholesome mod news...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRnvAZEhGQ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I had to Google who that person is supposed to be, but that's kind of adorable.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Really enjoying that they used a body mod for that video without thinking about how unsettling it will be to see an old woman's head on a big titty body

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

That’s really sweet

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bethesda had also flown her over to record lines for their next Elder Scrolls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
A general complaint. I hate when modders their "art" too seriously, with no consideration for practicality. I'm trying to find some maps for Cities Skylines and half of them have weird poetic names and require you to download 50 tree mods to fulfill the designer's artistic vision. I don't care. I'm going to bulldoze over your finely crafted forests to build strip malls with Best Buy and Applebee's. All this poo poo does is take up space on my hard drive.