Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

No it's far less disagreeable than that. It's that capitalists will always assist in fascist murder.

I'm just quoting Daisy Ridley from an interview there. I honestly don't remember any consistent theme around that or a lot of other things. TBH my biggest complaint about TLJ is that it was the Shadow the Hedgehog of Star Wars, cynical but without any depth to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I just hope that if this latest Star Wars movie bombs, they just give up on these ridiculous trilogies and make more media that actually makes use of the Star Wars setting, in a way that doesn't make the Star Wars galaxy feel shoebox-sized and completely obsessed with the Skywalker family.

Of course knowing Disney I'm sure they'll reboot everything and make another trilogy where even more loving plucky rebels fight against the Second Order or whatever.

Nah. The messages coming out of the house of mouse make it sound like they realize trilogies are a bad idea at least for a while and are aiming for a longish break mixed with mandalorian stuff.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

I'm just quoting Daisy Ridley from an interview there. I honestly don't remember any consistent theme around that or a lot of other things. TBH my biggest complaint about TLJ is that it was the Shadow the Hedgehog of Star Wars, cynical but without any depth to it.

calling the last jedi cynical is so incorrect I literally don't know where to start? tlj is a deeply uncynical movie, to the point that the only cynical characters are villains. there's several consistent themes even??? like, rose literally says one of the main themes out loud it's not even subtext???

Kelly Marie Tran, practically speaking directly to the audience posted:

That's how we're gonna win. Not by fighting what we hate. But saving what we love.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Alaois posted:

hang on i've somehow gone this long having never seen the rian johnson star wars movie, were people confused about whether or not a character played by Benicio Del Toro was a bad guy?

No it’s more that they don’t understand that the things bad guys say are not supposed to be agreed with

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bad Guy Was Right.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

egg tats posted:

calling the last jedi cynical is so incorrect I literally don't know where to start? tlj is a deeply uncynical movie, to the point that the only cynical characters are villains. there's several consistent themes even??? like, rose literally says one of the main themes out loud it's not even subtext???

It's cynical because everything they were doing with those speeders was meaningless. They were doing all of this stuff, a bunch of them died and it was just "oh, you thought you could accomplish something? wrong". It's not even particularly coherent since it comes after the space lady suicided bombed the bad guys.

TBH a bit of it felt like "oh, you're a black guy that thinks he can do something heroic in this movie? nothing personnel kid"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

jaws was never my scene and i don't like star wars

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

jaws was never my scene and i don't like star wars

Then explain this :colbert:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Release The Abrams Cut of The Rise of Skywalker! :argh:

edit: Wait, why am I a "Cybernetic Crumb" now?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

TFA and TLJ are both mediocre to poo poo movies for the same reason expressed differently, Rogue One is a hot mess as a result of Disney getting cold feet after realizing that their winter tentpole focused on a member of space ISIS, Solo is a ratfucked mess, and Rise of Skywalker is going to be a complete loving shitpile. while I'm not gonna share the confirmed rumors here, suffice to say that the film has powerful Pirates of the Caribbean 3 energy by all accounts.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3: Lowly farmhand with a mysterious past gets the call to adventure to rescue a princess. Along the way he meets a swaggering captain with an actual personality and the damsel turns out to kick butt, plus the ship's crew is rounded out by some muscle and comic relief. Also he discovers his father is a mystical bad guy but actually in thrall to a more powerful mystical bad guy. Meanwhile there's a more earthly concern about this empire with a superweapon. At the end of movie 2, all hope is lost after swaggering captain guy gets imprisoned because he owes a debt to a slug monster thingy over his legendarily fast ship.

Don't worry, with the help of a former enemy they manage to rescue the captain at the beginning of episode 3 from his desert prison, the farmhand's father redeems himself in sacrifice to save the son and the damsel ends up leading a whole fleet against the evil Empire.

I'm pretty sure there's enough Star Wars energy in PotC to go around.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Lucas Cut will be the new Snyder Cut.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Lucas Cut will be the new Snyder Cut.

gonna ask my barber for the Lucas Cut

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

a cartoon duck posted:

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaQpyU_QiM

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Brian Zane counts down the worst of wrestling in 2019.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Rey's misshapen head was actually the result of a secret tryst between her mother and a Jedi.

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1203075612488810502

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Rey's misshapen head was actually the result of a secret tryst between her mother and a Jedi.

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1203075612488810502

So list of Disney characters who gently caress:

1: Goofy
2: Ki-Adi-Mundi

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Release The Abrams Cut of The Rise of Skywalker! :argh:

edit: Wait, why am I a "Cybernetic Crumb" now?

those titles are based on the amount you donate to lowtax

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think I gave 13,37 USD back in the day

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NovemberMike posted:

It's cynical because everything they were doing with those speeders was meaningless. They were doing all of this stuff, a bunch of them died and it was just "oh, you thought you could accomplish something? wrong". It's not even particularly coherent since it comes after the space lady suicided bombed the bad guys.
yeah it's incoherent that after someone sacrificing themselves to stop the bad guys finn is like "I'll sacrifice myself to stop the bad guys!" and rose is all "hey, don't do that it won't work" because they are still fighting the bad guys even after the first sacrifice. instead of scribbling nonsense johnson should have tried to take those two events and tied them together into some kind of statement and just have a character literally announce what it is to the audience.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

hang on i've somehow gone this long having never seen the rian johnson star wars movie, were people confused about whether or not a character played by Benicio Del Toro was a bad guy?

Every day I become more and more convinced that I watch a different movie from everyone else.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

yeah it's incoherent that after someone sacrificing themselves to stop the bad guys finn is like "I'll sacrifice myself to stop the bad guys!" and rose is all "hey, don't do that it won't work" because they are still fighting the bad guys even after the first sacrifice. instead of scribbling nonsense johnson should have tried to take those two events and tied them together into some kind of statement and just have a character literally announce what it is to the audience.

it also didn't help that rose's attempt to stop finn from sacrificing himself was to ram her ship into his and cause both of theirs to crash.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh heavens is Quinton trying to get into Hbomberguy's shtick?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He starts off saying they're poorly made movies so no.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

He starts off saying they're poorly made movies so no.

we don't know that hbomb is going to defend the totality of the filmmaking decisions (we probably do know that but I don't want to dig through ancient posts)

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

egg tats posted:

we don't know that hbomb is going to defend the totality of the filmmaking decisions (we probably do know that but I don't want to dig through ancient posts)

Something something, criticism of neoliberalism, something something death of the author

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghostlight posted:

the lesson isnt bad and the movie shows earlier how big brave actions get more people killed on your side than not. the problem is they gently caress up the delivery of that so loving badly. like yeah, gonna crash my ship into yours, hope we both dont die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yet the movie also claims that inaction is just as bad. The deleted scenes with Luke also emphasized this by Luke stating that the galaxy needs people who are willing to confront problems now rather than waiting for when it's convenient.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It also didn't account for the fact that Holdo's suicide run looked badass and hosed up the bad guys pretty bad (and probably would have outright worked if they hadn't been betrayed). The general point is there, but it winds up so muddled. If nothing else, they should have made it clear that Finn wasn't going to actually make it to the cannon anyway, which I think was what was intended.

I also assume that they shook Johnson by the shoulders screaming "But what about HOTH!, we have to do Hoth again too" because that just fucks up the pacing so bad in general that it seems like it couldn't have been part of the original script.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Casey Finnigan posted:

I just hope that if this latest Star Wars movie bombs, they just give up on these ridiculous trilogies and make more media that actually makes use of the Star Wars setting, in a way that doesn't make the Star Wars galaxy feel shoebox-sized and completely obsessed with the Skywalker family.
I hope they just loving stop altogether and move on to something else

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It also didn't account for the fact that Holdo's suicide run looked badass and hosed up the bad guys pretty bad (and probably would have outright worked if they hadn't been betrayed). The general point is there, but it winds up so muddled. If nothing else, they should have made it clear that Finn wasn't going to actually make it to the cannon anyway, which I think was what was intended.

I also assume that they shook Johnson by the shoulders screaming "But what about HOTH!, we have to do Hoth again too" because that just fucks up the pacing so bad in general that it seems like it couldn't have been part of the original script.

The main difference between Holdo’s and Finn’s sacrifices is that for Holdo it was the last resort but for Finn it was his first goto

I agree that Finn’s is handled very not great and could’ve been done a lot better but those scenes really don’t contradict each other

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I mean, Krait is the scene that ties everything back together.

you've got Finn, for the first time really deciding to fight for the resistance and learning the absolute wrong lesson from Holdo.

you've got rose keeping Finn from sacrificing himself from nothing (it's not that he was sacrificing himself, it's that there was nothing to be gained from it)

you get Poe finally putting his big boy pants and doing some effective leadership. he has to field the totality of his forces because he got most of the rest of them killed. for nothing.

and you get Luke, deciding to finally confront the apprentice he failed, so that the only people left in the world that he loves can survive.

and you get Kylo, throwing a tantrum and losing, badly.

Reys stuff was dealt with earlier. it's ok don't even worry about it.

like, I'm not saying you need Krait, but it does a lot of work! and looks incredibly cool. if you just end the movie with holdos maneuver you give your movie a message of "the best you can do is to sacrifice yourself dearly" without any of the "and the most important thing is to defend the people you love.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

IronicDongz posted:

I hope they just loving stop altogether and move on to something else

Yeah but they won't ever stop so you have to temper your expectations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

But what about the other big winter blockbuster?

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1207455189969432577?s=20

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Tired: Rise of Skywalker Reviews and Reactions

Wired: CATS Movie Reviews and Reactions

https://twitter.com/davidfarrier/status/1207450843844243456?s=20

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Nah. The messages coming out of the house of mouse make it sound like they realize trilogies are a bad idea at least for a while and are aiming for a longish break mixed with mandalorian stuff.

That's what I've been seeing as well: while the sequel trilogy hasn't been going over well, offshoots like The Mandalorian and Jedi: Fallen Order seem to have been pretty well received.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Queer Salutations posted:

It's about the Snyder cut which may be worse actually.

That sounds cool actually

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

https://twitter.com/davidfarrier/status/1207450843844243456?s=20

As I'm reading this, I'm picturing this as Dr. Manhattan in a fursuit on Mars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanjD_T-Tgs

For some more positive Star Wars chat, Films&Stuff did a video on The Mandalorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

that legend about stravinsky’s rite of spring where the audience was supposedly so overwhelmed that they instantly turned into a wild panicking mob, but this time its with gyrating cat humanoid asses