Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

They've already said The Office and Parks and Rec are exclusive to Peacock.

What I figure will happen is that as their deals with Netflix (as an example) expire, they won't renew them and instead put them on Peacock. This is was Disney did, and what WB is doing.

One thing to keep in mind that just because a show airs on NBC, it's not necessarily owned by them. Friends is an example of this. It aired on NBC but it's owned by WB.

I can also guarantee you CBS/Viacom will do the same thing. Once the merger is complete, they'll turn CBS All Access into a mega platform for Viacom/Paramount/CBS stuff.

Yep. Frasier, for example, is leaving Netflix at the end of the year and I believe it's getting yanked from Prime and Hulu sometime in Q1 2020, to be exclusive to CBS All Access.

Now that every major studio has their own streaming service, expect the balkanization of content to get more and extreme. All I care about with Peacock is if they put the OG Law & Order up there (the first eight seasons used to be on Netflix, but it hasn't been on any streaming service since 2013). If they do that, they'll have my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There will have to be mergers, few will sub to 20 different streaming services. Even putting the cost aside, the inconvenience of having so many services will put people off. I would rather pay Netflix more and have them ante up for some some of the content that has gone away than sub to more services. I'm planning on cutting the cord this coming year but the cord cutting situation is worse than 2 years ago.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

Yep. Frasier, for example, is leaving Netflix at the end of the year and I believe it's getting yanked from Prime and Hulu sometime in Q1 2020, to be exclusive to CBS All Access.

Now that every major studio has their own streaming service, expect the balkanization of content to get more and extreme. All I care about with Peacock is if they put the OG Law & Order up there (the first eight seasons used to be on Netflix, but it hasn't been on any streaming service since 2013). If they do that, they'll have my attention.

A site like Simpson’s World but for L&O would get me rock hard.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There’s going to be like 6 streaming services — one for each of the media conglomerates and Netflix, which isn’t a conglomerate but will survive because it launched first and built a subscriber base.

None of them will license any of their IP to the others.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This might be one of the few things that the market will actually sort out. By this, I mean, it will be shittier than before for everyone except very wealthy companies, but you'll have access to about 75% the things you really want, at a higher price than you currently pay, and for worse service, but it'll be slightly less of a hassle than pirating. But first, those corporations will see how much they can squeeze their customers for a good year or two before profits start tumbling, then they'll start squeezing each other for IP leasing. Comcast and their kind will be quietly figuring out ways to apply the squeeze to both media consumers and providers, so pipeline costs will go up, too. But there will be nice packages, especially if you pay for a year's worth in a go or get a trial that's nigh impossible to cancel.

In conclusion, it will be really bad for a while, then not as bad, but worse than now, at which point, most people will go "Whew! Glad that's over," while they wait for a season of The Office to "unlock" on whatever service has it that year. And as millenials age, their kids will cause the next crisis by ignoring all that poo poo and just watching whatever YouTube or Twitch equivalent exists a decade from now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow Glass loving sucked.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Office is owned by Comcast, it will only be available on Peacock.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure why having a bunch of more expensive shittier Netflixes is "less of a hassle" than piracy.
Piracy is still pretty fast and simple.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not sure why having a bunch of more expensive shittier Netflixes is "less of a hassle" than piracy.

This

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

big trivia FAIL posted:

this also bothered me - if i hadn't been binging i wouldve quit watching after 2 episodes. i dont know anything about the watchmen, but the first 5 episodes felt like there was just a ton of lore i was supposed to know about but didnt (turned out i didn't really need to as you say, the last few episodes tie it all together)

The show is much better if you haven't read the comic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The show is much better if you haven't read the comic.

In some ways, but at least if you're a fan of the comic there are little easter eggs and call-backs to amuse you as you slog through the first several episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly I wonder if streaming services will eventually drive a bunch of people back to piracy as everything gets split up. I think the reason they have been so successful has been that they are good. But if it's a 30 different services that add up to more than cable and all have their own apps...who knows?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly I wonder if streaming services will eventually drive a bunch of people back to piracy as everything gets split up. I think the reason they have been so successful has been that they are good. But if it's a 30 different services that add up to more than cable and all have their own apps...who knows?

I mean, I've said I'm going back to piracy because of it. I'm not spending the same amount this coming year on streaming stuff to get less than I did previously which is what has already occurred.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd love to see piracy make that kind of impact, but I'm thinking the majority of households will either lack the sophistication to figure out basic piracy, or get a C+D from Comcast and tell junior they'll take away his goddamn laptop if he does it again.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but there is a brand new documentary on Netflix called "Don't gently caress With Cats". It's about the internet collectively trying to discover the identity of a guy who was filming himself torturing stray cats to death, him being reported to the police, the police doing literally nothing, and then the guy eventually (surprise surprise) moves on to killing a person.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen it yet because my wife is dying to see it (as am I) because we followed this story as it developed, but we wanted to make sure they didn't show any actual footage (blurred or not), even if the footage was cut right before the torture would begin. It would bum me out like crazy but she would go into a full-on meltdown over being exposed to this type of footage, so we were just wondering if anyone had seen it, and if they steered clear of showing any of the depressing real footage poo poo and only focused on the awesome stuff like them catching him in a German internet café while looking at pictures of himself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lol if you ever stopped pirating

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My main problem is I'm lazy and want to stream stuff on my big TV and my laptop is hooked up to stuff in another room so I gotta do things simple.

That said I got the Youtube app on Roku and have used that to watch a couple of MST3K episodes they can't release on DVD.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't imagine dealing with the occasional hiccups with pirating now that I have two young kids. It just has to work on the first (or occasionally the second) try, don't care if it costs me a few dollars per month.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Soooo.... 6 Underground.

The first 20 mins or so is insane, like legit I have not seen some of that action done before kind of insane. The edit overall takes a bit of a poo poo in the non action stuff though (hard to follow timeline/timeframe in the middle part of the movie). Must have been a modest budget Bay movie wise also but it looks really good to overall.

Dude still knows how to do Action with a capital A for sure..

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The Galaxy Quest documentary Never Surrender is up on Amazon now

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh my. I love Galaxy Quest so much. Gonna check this out!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but there is a brand new documentary on Netflix called "Don't gently caress With Cats". It's about the internet collectively trying to discover the identity of a guy who was filming himself torturing stray cats to death, him being reported to the police, the police doing literally nothing, and then the guy eventually (surprise surprise) moves on to killing a person.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen it yet because my wife is dying to see it (as am I) because we followed this story as it developed, but we wanted to make sure they didn't show any actual footage (blurred or not), even if the footage was cut right before the torture would begin. It would bum me out like crazy but she would go into a full-on meltdown over being exposed to this type of footage, so we were just wondering if anyone had seen it, and if they steered clear of showing any of the depressing real footage poo poo and only focused on the awesome stuff like them catching him in a German internet café while looking at pictures of himself.

I'm 10 minutes in and yes they show significant chunks of the videos before poo poo goes bad, and play audio of him doing it (just vacuum noises). It's not graphic or anything but you will see some kittens who are about to die, and presumably they do the same with the guy he ended up killing because they played snippets of the video of that in the trailer. Watching it wigs me out tbh but I'm also curious to see where it goes.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm 10 minutes in and yes they show significant chunks of the videos before poo poo goes bad, and play audio of him doing it (just vacuum noises). It's not graphic or anything but you will see some kittens who are about to die, and presumably they do the same with the guy he ended up killing because they played snippets of the video of that in the trailer. Watching it wigs me out tbh but I'm also curious to see where it goes.

Ah OK. I'll be able to stomach it since I already know what happens but my wife is gonna have to sit this one out.

Do they mention the brain-dead mounties that refused to arrest him because "not all animal-torturers end up killing humans"?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I want to know what happens but I don't want to see kittens die. I've had the same issue locally with reporting dog owners who starve or mistreat their animals and the cops do nothing except show up and tell them to do better. Same with owners whose dogs attack, and sometimes kill other pets. They claim there are no laws allowing them to do anything.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Anyone watched the second half of Mad About You yet? I can't get it in HD, it is like a rectangle in the center of the screen. I twitted with Spectrum and they reset my router to update my 'entitlements' and it still didn't fix it. Is this how it is supposed to be? I just want to watch!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Watching "Don't gently caress with cats" now. It is certainly a disturbing series because of the animal torture and killings. It doesn't show the gory parts, but even the images and audio before bad things happen are highly disturbing.

The big takeaway seems to be, "the police are loving useless, but in 2010 they were EVEN MORE useless on the level of nightmare-on-elm-street-style 'i dont believe the kids' horror movie trope"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bullfrog posted:

Watching "Don't gently caress with cats" now. It is certainly a disturbing series because of the animal torture and killings. It doesn't show the gory parts, but even the images and audio before bad things happen are highly disturbing.

The big takeaway seems to be, "the police are loving useless, but in 2010 they were EVEN MORE useless on the level of nightmare-on-elm-street-style 'i dont believe the kids' horror movie trope"

Jeffrey Dahmer got away with murder and rape right in front of the cops. They even returned his underage, badly injured, disoriented victim to his house for him because they thought it was a "lover's quarrel" between two guys and they didn't want to get involved. So there's precedent.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
First episode of Don’t F**K with Cats down and hooooolllyyy poo poo this is insane.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny and not even remotely surprising that twitter is outraged about don't gently caress with the cats, but only for the cat aspect, not the guy who was murdered.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Jeffrey Dahmer got away with murder and rape right in front of the cops. They even returned his underage, badly injured, disoriented victim to his house for him because they thought it was a "lover's quarrel" between two guys and they didn't want to get involved. So there's precedent.

yup. cops keep nobody safe.

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny and not even remotely surprising that twitter is outraged about don't gently caress with the cats, but only for the cat aspect, not the guy who was murdered.

I agree with the fact that it is weird that people are less disturbed by the killing of people in wider culture, but at the same time, I understand why the cat and dog killing is so shocking to the general public-- they don't see it nearly as much. And the limited footage that is included in the docuseries is legitimately disturbing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It shouldn't be surprising at all that people value cute cuddly animals as much or more than humans. My pets have all been very loyal and treated me with the same affection I've shown them, can't say the same for many adults.
Pets trigger the same chemical responses as children.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Plus their carbon footprint is smaller, and they will never put me in an old folks home.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Plus their carbon footprint is smaller, and they will never put me in an old folks home.
They just want to let you die at home so they can eat that sweet sweet face meat.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Martman posted:

They just want to let you die at home so they can eat that sweet sweet face meat.

lol if you think that's exclusive to pets

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone watch Wiedzmin yet?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

Wow Glass loving sucked.

I waited twenty goddamn years for this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

wormil posted:

It shouldn't be surprising at all that people value cute cuddly animals as much or more than humans. My pets have all been very loyal and treated me with the same affection I've shown them, can't say the same for many adults.
Pets trigger the same chemical responses as children.

I mean I get that animals, even more so baby animals trigger some sort of empathy that adult humans don’t so I can see why it’s more viscerally shocking.

It’s still very funny though .All of the stuff I saw along the lines of “how could this monster do this to these cats” when if they’ve watched the first episode or even just the trailer, they know he also stabbed an innocent man hundreds of times and played with his decapitated head in the bathtub

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think it's really about animals being uniquely attractive to human empathy, so much as that we're routinely taught to devalue and dehumanize other people. It's just misanthropy recast into a superficially positive form.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone watch Wiedzmin yet?

just watched it. It's somewhere between bad and okay. Lot of stuff was bad, some stuff was okay...overall it was a bit of a mess. Still gonna watch the next episode to see if it gets better.

e: oh, it's not a weekly series, so I can see if it gets better right away...thats good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cats are intrinsically morally blameless. Humans deserve The Bad Place.