Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Whatever's the latest in trunk as of December 18th, 2019:

Source/Linux zips/tars-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pPIsZOsz6siva2dTVsC-irFYR58PnKtP/view?usp=sharing

Windows zips-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YJE3qlbIrYliuj9FUduUXA2id7NGHc3A/view?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We love you, FK.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

Oh Wow this is perfect, Thanks FK!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ara, I once again only see you spectating once I've gone to a different tab.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Ara, I once again only see you spectating once I've gone to a different tab.

It's okay, I did like I said I would and tried out the Ogre changes to 1H some medium 2H weapons and...

This is a trap, right? It's a Xom altar, I'm going to move onto the square and it's going to turn into cheese, isn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

It's okay, I did like I said I would and tried out the Ogre changes to 1H some medium 2H weapons and...

This is a trap, right? It's a Xom altar, I'm going to move onto the square and it's going to turn into cheese, isn't it?
Alternatively, it may be a cursed -2? That'd be very Xom.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Alternatively, it may be a cursed -2? That'd be very Xom.

+0, I think I figured it out though...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, you might find good randart scales later? (I'm not saying use it right now.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sometimes the randart names really fit.

quote:

You finish putting on the cursed +0 leather armour of Wrong Decisions {Str-4 Int+6}.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Sometimes the randart names really fit.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sorry if I'm being dense but is this an offline build of gooncrawl+trunk or just trunk?

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

FulsomFrank posted:

Sorry if I'm being dense but is this an offline build of gooncrawl+trunk or just trunk?

It's gooncrawl

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Installed Gooncrawl. It's cool that ogres don't suck. THat's my thoughts so far.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Trunk refers to Gooncrawl's trunk branch, not mainline trunk or a combo of Gooncrawl's trunk and mainline's trunk (they are pretty diverged at this point, I still haven't caught up to .yaml species files much less dungeon seeds).

Usually, I use mainline or vanilla to refer to devteam DCSS because just calling it trunk is confusing now with so many forks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I am the worst nerd who has never played local DCSS.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Why play online when you can play local? Leaderboards I guess

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

For me it’s simplicity; CKO has Gooncrawl and I have a browser. One less thing I have to remember to update.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If I can't terrify my spectator by leaning way too hard on tab, why am I even playing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Why play online when you can play local? Leaderboards I guess
Cloud saves!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Cloud saves!

Spectating and chatting? Linking HilariousDeathArtists rc? If you're interested in GoonCrawl why not play on tiles, turn off travel animations, come play on tiles or cheer on some goons here.

There was a really great community on the server that's gone now and you'd regularly have 15-20 people mostly regulars spectating a game. It fell below the threshold of sustainability and now it's rare on a lot of servers to see anyone spectating or responding to chat. But it was a nice play to crow, commiserate, and learn tips and tricks.

BTW ShaftReasons.PNG

I guess I am gonna take a shaft and tport if I land back in that room...zot increasing tport time kind of worries me...

edit: so how do reserved spells work now? I cast rmsl and went from 28 to 21 MP. I thought it was now double the cost or something?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 20, 2019

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I just play crawl to relax, and I can't relax with a gaggle of people watching and judging my suboptimal play, especially if they're being weird and catty about it :shobon:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

edit: so how do reserved spells work now? I cast rmsl and went from 28 to 21 MP. I thought it was now double the cost or something?

Each buff is spell level * ((50-Int)/10), round down the result to the nearest whole number. After that, total the cost of all active buffs and subtract your Dex (to a minimum of 1 MP).

I added it to the manual but I know that nobody really reads it, I don't think I added cost estimates to the spell descriptions yet though. The result is you get a bunch of buffs if you are smart or can cheat more buffs in if you are agile. Dumb/slow characters can still probably fit in 1-2 cheap buffs anyway if they don't care about MP.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hey nerds, I have a strategy question. vanilla stone soup .24. I'm playing a one-armed, Ru worshippin Draconian Ice Mage, with some decent melee stats as a secondary damage source. My highest level spells are Ozocubu's Refrigeration and Orb of Destruction, which is fine enough for where I'm at (just got Shoals/Spider runes). But I can tell that I'm hitting a bit of an inflection point, because big beefcakes like Emporer Scorpions have been a big problem for me - I'm already out of Heal Wounds from some previous hairy calls.

Anyway, my question is this: I don't normally do book acquirement. But I feel like I might need to look for a high level ice spell to help me scale into the latter stages of the game - but I also don't know how good book acquirement generally is, so I don't know if I can count on it doing that or if I should just do jewelry or something. Here's the dump.. What would you acquire here? Is it worth chasing a high level Ice spell, or should I just mainline conjurations to get OOD more reliably castable?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Ice is great for your build, but book acquirement is like 40/30 for a fixed book vs a randart and if it's a randart the # of spell levels in it is based on your SC which is 12.

You have had horrible luck, you have 3 spells over level 5 and they are 2 buffs useless to you and Tornado. So there are a million fixed books out there you can get and the weighting will only go so far. I consider it a trap choice, I have never had any luck with it. I would only do it if you were a mostly single school build like a pure summoner.

So you must have sacrificed MR so that's a big problem, I would be looking to fix that ASAP so I would acquire jewelry. Your main advantage as a mage is with Ru you can basically walk away from quite a few fights. Really Elf is likely to have what you need but going in there MR neutral is basically suicide.

vvvv Well if you made a choice you regretted later then you're playing Ru exactly the way Ru wants you to play.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 20, 2019

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Araganzar posted:

Ice is great for your build, but book acquirement is like 40/30 for a fixed book vs a randart and if it's a randart the # of spell levels in it is based on your SC which is 12.

You have had horrible luck, you have 3 spells over level 5 and they are 2 buffs useless to you and Tornado. So there are a million fixed books out there you can get and the weighting will only go so far. I consider it a trap choice, I have never had any luck with it. I would only do it if you were a mostly single school build like a pure summoner.

So you must have sacrificed MR so that's a big problem, I would be looking to fix that ASAP so I would acquire jewelry. Your main advantage as a mage is with Ru you can basically walk away from quite a few fights. Really Elf is likely to have what you need but going in there MR neutral is basically suicide.

Good to know re: the randart odds - definitely does feel like a trap. And yeah, the MR sacrifice I kinda regret in hindsight - I had already passed options once, didn't want to do it again, so I took the least bad option out of the three. But I was already at ***** from losing the hand so I should have just passed a second time and waited for a good option to sacrifice. I just get nervous about "increasingly longer" timers even though Ru ***** vs Ru ****** hardly matters that early in the game.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I agree with Araganzar here (and you should listen to him over me anyway) but I want to say that book acquirement can be okay if you feel like you can afford to be flexible. I play a lot of DE, HE, chei characters and ashenzari characters and I’ve used it before a few times and it often gives you something helpful if you’ve got the stats, apts or both to suddenly pick up a new school of magic. It’s good for vanity games where there’s one specific spell you just really want to try with a certain combo, e.g. you simply must have dragon’s call on your VSSu, or dragon form on your OpTM or whatever and you care more about playing that combo than actually winning the game.

The thing is that the only cold spell that would really help you right now is bolt of cold. Glaciate isn’t going to do you much good for a long time and freezing cloud or simulacrum would take a while to come online. And a ring of cold and a staff of cold backing you up, refrigeration should do very solid damage. That, with Ru powers, melee and OoD should be all you really need. First of all, your demon blade isn’t at mindelay yet, so getting LB to 14 might be a better idea than anything else. After that, I’d pump conjurations to 17-18 and if nothing else good has come along by then, go deep into fighting and dodging, pick up some more stealth and maybe even a little more LB depending.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
HITO I found your book! You left it back on D5 in a sewer of all places. I killed your pet frogs.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Araganzar posted:

HITO I found your book! You left it back on D5 in a sewer of all places. I killed your pet frogs.

Aw nuts! I must have been holding it in the hand that God cut off. Thanks for the save.

(I think I'll do demon blade mindelay first since I have the +5 Slay gloves, then get OOD to at least yellow failure and maybe white. Hopefully something pops up by then. Probably acquiring jewelry, yeah.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
congrats to araganzar for another ogre win btw

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aaaaand I lost my really good Tengu.

Note to self: Turn off flying when there are two storm giants on-screen. :j:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

PMush Perfect posted:

Aaaaand I lost my really good Tengu.

Note to self: Turn off flying when there are two storm giants on-screen. :j:

they got out the flyswatters i see

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It was a very literal splat.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

It was a very literal splat.

Oh man your TSO play was so good, too, I really enjoyed watching you stomp Crypt. I think not finding a demon blade killed you, training long swords to 24 after shields to 15 left you with low Fighting, Armor, Dodging. With Te HP and apts I would target those at 15-16 plus you had Frail 1. I used to always forget about Airstrike on Gargoyles, but my flavor of choice was getting turned into rubble by spriggan air mages.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

[On Ice Magic] I play a lot of DE, HE, chei characters and ashenzari characters and I've used it before a few times and it often gives you something helpful if you've got the stats, apts or both to suddenly pick up a new school of magic

It's funny you should mention, I've actually been seriously looking at Reaver. Infusion is a great starting spell but I think eventually we want a unique starter that buffs melee without MP drain. Ozo's Armor is really the linchpin of the class. What's bothersome for me is the required number of spell schools - Conj, Charms, Fire, Ice, Transloc. Maybe you planned on replacing most of these spells eventually anyway.

Conj Flame is not terribly useful without taking spear. I think ice works well thematically and has a lot of good interactions with melee. Ozo's being key it helps players if we encourage them to use it and push those skills. I was thinking about replacing Conjure Flame with Freezing Aura and cloning Force Lance to an ice spell. Another option is doubling down on translocation with IMB now being conj/transloc and doing a range 2 point blank force lance explosion. If you like either of those ideas I might be willing to make changes and add an Advanced Reaving book with some other thematic spells.

I've also started a GrRv and am taking screenshots for some kind of mini Let's Play GoonCrawl on how to get to Lair without going below 0 hit points. Mainly showing early game trap choices and strategies, examples are identify scroll order and not being stingy with consumables. Provided I *make* it to Lair, it would probably be 3 or 4 posts of about ten images with commentary. It could be posted here or turned into a real Let's Play. I have free time until EOY so let me know if there's interest.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Decision time:

Playing an OpAc of Gozag and the spriggan's knife popped from the crate. Knife + Meph cloud + gozag confuse means I stab nearly everything to death. I'm at XL15 and cleared Lair and Orc. On lair 6 I found both Wyrmblade and a randart quickblade (+7, venom, rF++) .

I feel like the stabbing strategy is going to fall off in power soon, Swamp and Snake (my branches) are both pretty poison resistant. Should I make a concerted switch to Wyrmblade?

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/hoshi/hoshi.txt

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Araganzar posted:

I've also started a GrRv and am taking screenshots for some kind of mini Let's Play GoonCrawl on how to get to Lair without going below 0 hit points. Mainly showing early game trap choices and strategies, examples are identify scroll order and not being stingy with consumables. Provided I *make* it to Lair, it would probably be 3 or 4 posts of about ten images with commentary. It could be posted here or turned into a real Let's Play. I have free time until EOY so let me know if there's interest.

That is something I'd be interested in reading, especially with examples of skill training and general milestones.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tylertfb posted:

I feel like the stabbing strategy is going to fall off in power soon, Swamp and Snake (my branches) are both pretty poison resistant. Should I make a concerted switch to Wyrmblade?https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/hoshi/hoshi.txt

I was watching you play! Do both, Quickblade is only 10 skill. Wyrmbane only costs 12 skill, it's the best melee artefact in the vanilla game, and you can melee naga without having to take 2 hits moving in.

0.5 delay is cool because it gives less time between swings for spiky damage to happen to an Op. Also as an OP^Gozag you will be getting randart slaying rings you can take advantage of.

You need to immediately memorize spectral weapon and Silence, Ozo's Armor is probably worth the run speed hit as well right now.

vvvv Sorry, I meant the knife, QB is 8 skill. Knife converts confuse stabs into sleep stabs so use that, but prioritize at least 8-10 polearms above all else...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 20, 2019

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Araganzar posted:

I was watching you play! Do both, Quickblade is only 10 skill. Wyrmbane only costs 12 skill, it's the best melee artefact in the vanilla game, and you can melee naga without having to take 2 hits moving in.

0.5 delay is cool because it gives less time between swings for spiky damage to happen to an Op. Also as an OP^Gozag you will be getting randart slaying rings you can take advantage of.

You need to immediately memorize spectral weapon and Silence, Ozo's Armor is probably worth the run speed hit as well right now.

So you would go with the quickblade over the spriggan's knife? The knife is a bit slower (0.5 vs 0.3) and a tad less base damage (6 vs 5) but the knife one-shots confused enemies 100% of the time. I'm already at 10 skill on short blades, so min-delay on both.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

Oh man your TSO play was so good, too, I really enjoyed watching you stomp Crypt. I think not finding a demon blade killed you, training long swords to 24 after shields to 15 left you with low Fighting, Armor, Dodging. With Te HP and apts I would target those at 15-16 plus you had Frail 1. I used to always forget about Airstrike on Gargoyles, but my flavor of choice was getting turned into rubble by spriggan air mages.
Having you compliment my play really did make me legit smile. I'll probably never play for score, but if I have something to take pride in, it's that when I play slowly and carefully, things work out well. I'm a tortoise.

The problem is when I stop playing carefully.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

PMush Perfect posted:

Grats! If you're playing Gooncrawl, try out a Faerie Dragon Conjurer next, they're a great introduction to playing casters.

I don't play Gooncrawl, but what is the flavor and speciality of Faerie Dragons compared to other races? And why is Skeleton apparently so difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't play Gooncrawl, but what is the flavor and speciality of Faerie Dragons compared to other races? And why is Skeleton apparently so difficult?
FD are in the help file. Big magic bonuses, including reduced MP cost and no hunger, and permanent flying, but have frail 1 and --stealth and no armor.

Skeletons aren't in the help file, but having splatted a lot of them over the past couple days it's probably the combo of frail 2 (-20% HP) and inability to use potions.