Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Aphrodite's cast can nuke groups of weaker enemies really quickly, and Poseidon's is understandably good at getting some distance and slamming enemies around. Last night I had a Zeus upgrade to Dionysus's festive fog that turned it into a lightning cloud that wasn't super effective but was a lot of fun. It's sometimes hard to remember cast is a thing, but it can be very effective if used properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The main thing that sucks about the lava area is getting your Cast bolts stuck out in the lava

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xaris posted:

The main thing that sucks about the lava area is getting your Cast bolts stuck out in the lava

It takes a half second for the lava to start hurting you, so you can dash out and back without taking any damage.

That is still annoying in the middle of combat, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

srulz posted:

How does the "reloading" work for the bombs? Do you get the throw all 3 after a slight delay each time, or only the first time and you'll have to wait for all the bombs to reaccumulate?

No increased delay.
shoot...wait...shoot...wait...
becomes
shootshootshoot...wait...shootshootshoot...wait...

It's an amazing upgrade only hampered by the bombs' delay in landing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Begemot posted:

It takes a half second for the lava to start hurting you, so you can dash out and back without taking any damage.

That is still annoying in the middle of combat, though.

yeah if it's just on the lip of the lava i can do that, or if i have hermes +dash charges i'm usually ok but often if it's further out i still end up eating 3-5 damage which isn't much but kind a bummer, i usually just leave em out there. fortunately lava enemies are pretty easy and hydra boss is a cakewalk if you don't get cocky (at least with the shield it's easy).

elysium enemies are way more annoying and more likely to gently caress with me

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

elysium enemies are way more annoying and more likely to gently caress with me
I initially read this as a reference to disco elysium and started to get really mad at how far people go to shoehorn comparisons to that game in everywhere
but im just bad at reading words so it's all okay!!!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Finally beat the final boss for the first time :toot:

Final boss? I thought they had not put that in yet and you couldn't complete the game?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

SlyFrog posted:

Final boss? I thought they had not put that in yet and you couldn't complete the game?

What currently counts as the last boss.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I was having a decent enough time with the Captain America shield. Useful directional block, passable melee attack, situationally good throw.

Then I unlocked the Rail. :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there anything to use darkness on after you've unlocked everything in the mirror?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Broken Cog posted:

Is there anything to use darkness on after you've unlocked everything in the mirror?

You can sometimes buy stuff from the lounge merchant with it, yeah?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Today I found out that Artemis' double-cast stacks with other gods' cast enhancements, and that Artemis' legendary ability gives you three more casts. Turns about just about anything melts when you hit it with twelve festive fogs in quick succession.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there a “best” use for your first few diamonds?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

Is there a “best” use for your first few diamonds?

You should probably spend one to free Orpheus. But of the 3-diamond purchases, probably the best one is the darkness booster, especially if you're struggling to clear the game once and getting darkness pickups as boss drops.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

SlyFrog posted:

The game is essentially feature complete. All planned areas are in and the last boss is done. They are solidly in the polishing and tweaking phase phase of development. This is not to say they can't decide to add more, but what's there is generally going to be it. There are only a handful of major things they've said are still to come, including another weapon, aspects, legendary keepsakes, possibly another Olympian and then lore/story stuff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I already know I want as much DLC as possible.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've straight-up said they're adding another Olympian god.

Anyway, got my second clear the other night (third, if you count when A&T were the final boss). Went with the sword that had a chance of critting for 3 seconds after using the AOE. I decided to double down on crits, and wound up with the duo boon that increases the odds by like 40% to charmed enemies. Coupled with Charm-on-attack, that boon that marks nearby enemies on kills, and a bunch of passive damage buffs, I had my easiest run ever. I made it through elysium without even dying, and beat up my dad with a second life still in the magazine.

I still like the shield, but I'm starting to think it just doesn't suit me.

ed. So what do you do with ambrosia? I know you're supposed to give it to people, after you've already given them nectar a couple times, but I've never seen the option come up, and I'm getting tempted to start converting my stocks into prom blood.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 19, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Krazyface posted:

That was my understanding too, but I was hedging my bets because I double checked the roadmap and it didn't sound as clear as I remembered.

Krazyface posted:

ed. So what do you do with ambrosia? I know you're supposed to give it to people, after you've already given them nectar a couple times, but I've never seen the option come up, and I'm getting tempted to start converting my stocks into prom blood.

You may not use them for a while, but I'd recommend holding onto them. They seem to be significantly harder to get hold of. I've currently got 65 titan's blood even after spending a good number (Hells yes prophecy list!). I have 4 diamonds after spending I'm sure over 30. But I've only got 7 ambrosia and I've spent 2 to get keepsakes.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What currently counts as the last boss.

The one where they have no plan to add more, and when you beat it, you win the game along with the attendant screens and completion of the full story that is planned by the developers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cool thread, cool game. Thanks a lot to everyone that gave me advice about how to evade Asterius back in the Steam thread, I managed to get past Elysium for the first time, and kept rolling all the way through to my first victory!

Mostly a cast-based bow run leaning heavily on Artemis for the homing cast and quick bloodstone retrieval, although honorable mentions go to my bro Ares whose blade rift call let me stay invincible long enough to learn Hades's moves, and to my bro Chaos who almost killed me with a quadruple damage trap in the second room of the run, but then gave me a disgustingly massive hp pool so that I ended with 272 hp even though I haven't yet unlocked the mirror upgrade for more hp.

Game rules super hard.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The game is essentially feature complete. All planned areas are in and the last boss is done. They are solidly in the polishing and tweaking phase phase of development. This is not to say they can't decide to add more, but what's there is generally going to be it. There are only a handful of major things they've said are still to come, including another weapon, aspects, legendary keepsakes, possibly another Olympian and then lore/story stuff.

Do you have a source on that all planned areas are in, because the "ending" to the game atm literally says "That's it, for now", "The hero's story will continue, but not right now", etc...

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I did not think the Zeus + Dionysus Duo boon that has lightning bolts strike enemies in Festive Fog would be so good

Anyway beaten the game a few times now with different weapons, game's real fun.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have a source on that all planned areas are in, because the "ending" to the game atm literally says "That's it, for now", "The hero's story will continue, but not right now", etc...

the devs have said so on the steam forums

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

It's mostly just the game roadmap I've been going on, which has suggested 4 final biomes for as long as I can remember. The current roadmap says that their goal this year was to have the "full game structure in place (excluding aspects such as the end of the story)" and that they were successful getting there with 4 biomes listed as part of their accomplishments.

One of the devs also did address a question about this on the Steam forums just a couple of days ago. You can see the exchange here. It does confirm a new Olympian in the next update too.

EDIT: ^^^ What he said.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

That's a shame, I was really hoping for one more biome. Runs feel a bit short right now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eraflure posted:

That's a shame, I was really hoping for one more biome. Runs feel a bit short right now.

I like the current run length and don't really want it to get longer. Would not mind alternate zones and bosses though.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Bruceski posted:

No increased delay.
shoot...wait...shoot...wait...
becomes
shootshootshoot...wait...shootshootshoot...wait...

It's an amazing upgrade only hampered by the bombs' delay in landing.

OK, I'm convinced now. The little child in me would absolutely love infinite ammo due to the neat combo with Zeus's shocks & Artemis's Support Fire to pewpewpew everything down, but I really need to minmax to get my first victory now. So bombs away -> dash dash dash -> more bombs should be much better I think.

Plus I don't think Daedalus options ever repeat, so this would highly increase the possibility of getting the 80-damage Rockets or even Inescapable Blast.

BTW, what is the best Boon to use for above Triple Bombs? I have been ignoring Special-based boons for so long now on other weapons that I'm absolutely clueless. Probably not Poseidon since knockback would knock enemies out of AOE of the 2nd/3rd bombs, and not Ares since it's flat damage aka not making full use of the huge base damage & doesn't stack.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think there's another Ares boon that does let you stack doom damage, FWIW

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

srulz posted:

BTW, what is the best Boon to use for above Triple Bombs? I have been ignoring Special-based boons for so long now on other weapons that I'm absolutely clueless. Probably not Poseidon since knockback would knock enemies out of AOE of the 2nd/3rd bombs, and not Ares since it's flat damage aka not making full use of the huge base damage & doesn't stack.

I got my fastest clear to date the other day with the build you're talking about using Artemis. I love crit builds. I got triple bomb, rocket special, 30% special speed increase, and some other boons that combined well with these. It was pure havoc and everything died in seconds for the most part. My final clear time was just around 21 minutes and it was super fun.

Andrast posted:

I like the current run length and don't really want it to get longer. Would not mind alternate zones and bosses though.

This is where I am too. A complete run usually takes an hour or less, even when you're learning the ropes. That seems like exactly the sweet spot for a game built around repeat play like this.

Krazyface posted:

I think there's another Ares boon that does let you stack doom damage, FWIW

Yup, it's Dire Misfortune. You can get an extra 5-10 points damage per stack though, not full damage.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 19, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

srulz posted:

Probably Artemis for the crit or Aphrodite for the +damage and weaken, plus the duo that gives bonus crit on weakened enemies. Athena would do in a pinch for the +damage, though the deflect isn't super useful with the slow, arcing projectile. Doom primary + Athena secondary plus the Ares/Athena duo would be pretty good, but not as good as Artemis/Aphrodite (especially if you also get Artemis' homing arrows).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How are you guys avoiding damage with all the visual vomit in this game? I just had a run with the Festive Fog special with the Zeus duo, and both Zeus and Artemis's autoattack projectile adds plus triple bombs on the Rail. I died because I couldn't see poo poo, in the occasional room where everything didn't just die instantly I would take a ton of damage.

Even with relatively normal stuff I have a lot of trouble.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Aw man, I was so close to the end on my 13th run. I had a broken spear-bounce build that combined Ares, Artemis, and Athena for tons of AoE crit damage and doom. I lost my extra lives during the stupid 2v1 and took too much chip damage in the tiny rooms to safely take on the final boss. I don't think I'll ever manage to get that build again :(

Anyway, I totally forgot about this game until I saw it on Steam last night and instabought it. This game has all the features that are like crack to me. I'm already clocking 9 hours. I've been wanting a new Bastion-like experience for a long time, and this is basically rogue-lite Bastion. I'm also digging the grim-while-also-lighthearted setting.

I spent all my blood thinking I'd keep getting it for clearing the first world, but that stopped after 5. Do you ever getting new sources of blood, besides trading?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

I spent all my blood thinking I'd keep getting it for clearing the first world, but that stopped after 5. Do you ever getting new sources of blood, besides trading?

you get more blood from beating the final boss; and after you beat the game you can get more boss drops by adding various difficulty modifiers to your run

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Sad to report that the shotgun upgrade only procs Zeus chain lightning once. I thought that combo was going to be way grosser than it ended up.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

K8.0 posted:

How are you guys avoiding damage with all the visual vomit in this game? I just had a run with the Festive Fog special with the Zeus duo, and both Zeus and Artemis's autoattack projectile adds plus triple bombs on the Rail. I died because I couldn't see poo poo, in the occasional room where everything didn't just die instantly I would take a ton of damage.

Can't take damage if you never, ever, ever stop dashing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

K8.0 posted:

You get used to it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

dmboogie posted:

you get more blood from beating the final boss; and after you beat the game you can get more boss drops by adding various difficulty modifiers to your run

Ah, so you're basically stuck with whatever you spent it on until you beat a run? Dang. Oh well, I could've done worse with them. I maxed out the regular spear, which is fine if you get good special mods.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Krazyface posted:

Hera? I think she's the only major one out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Haephestus is also a big one, and of course Demeter is somewhat plot-relevant. Hestia also has some mentions in the Adamant Rail flavor text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Fat Samurai posted:

Hera? I think she's the only major one out.

Also Apollo, Hephaestus, Demeter (though given the nature of Zag's quest, she might not be implemented) and maybe Hestia.

E; beaten like Zag by a bone hydra.