Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

texting my ex posted:

well yeah what I meant was, RE7 was consistently scary and not annoying, even those parts. The bad man in RE2 is just plain annoying and not scary
Sorry to nag you about this, but would you have any idea why that might be? I mean, disregarding the VR thing. Environments? Because they had more personality? I've seen a number of people express this kind of opinion, or the opposite as the case might be, and I'm just really interested in trying to figure out what it is that makes work it so differently for certain people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I thought the Mr X implementation was brilliant. He pressures you into making hard choices or mistakes.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry to nag you about this, but would you have any idea why that might be? I mean, disregarding the VR thing. Environments? Because they had more personality? I've seen a number of people express this kind of opinion, or the opposite as the case might be, and I'm just really interested in trying to figure out what it is that makes work it so differently for certain people.

Well honestly I think we can't disregard the VR thing - it's just that more scary when you are actually "in" the game, even though the mechanics are similar.

I suppose I'm mostly annoyed about the change of pace. The game was slow and cumbersome, and in an instant became something fast and frantic

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 18, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm fine with just your opinion about it, really. You know, what it would if you had to put your thumb on anything else in particular. But if you think that's all there really is for it to you, that's also alright.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1207398144042045440

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crowetron posted:

Mr. X comes out swinging by appearing more omnipresent than he actually is. Just like the old X and Nemesis, he has definite rules that can be worked around, especially on a second playthrough when you know his patterns and habits. The devs did an incredible job at making him feel inescapable without having him actually chase you for the whole game.

poo poo, is Resident Evil 2 the best Terminator game?

RE2 takes a loooot of inspiration from Terminator! The preamble to the boss fight in the sewers is basically that scene from T2 where the T-1000 is stabbing down into the elevator, and the boss fight itself reminds me of how they finished off the T-1000. Claire even kinda looks like Sarah Connor in that movie, I think.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

quote:

A new interview in the latest Famitsu with Resident Evil 3 producers Peter Fabiano and Masao Kawada reveals that the game will have more changed elements compared to the relatively faithful Resident Evil 2, and more details. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089!]

Here are the highlights:

There will be more changed or rearranged elements compared to Resident Evil 2.

The master rom of the game is complete, so there likely won’t be any delays. What’s left are final adjustments, so game development is around 90% complete.

The game (like the original) begins before 2, and ends after 2.

Jill is one of their most popular characters. They took care to make sure she retained her image even with the design change, and the design changes was made so that she’d look more action-oriented. The original costumes for Jill and Carlos will be available as a bonus.

Carlos looks more mature, but is still a joker who speaks casually. He’s just as hot-blooded as before.

They haven’t revealed any gameplay yet, but they’ve focused on the action elements more during development. RE2 featured the horrific nature of zombies, while RE3 features action. Of course, it will retain its Resident Evil-like elements.

Like RE2, the game uses a third-person behind the camera view.

Resident Evil: Resistance will connect with RESIDENT EVIL.NET.

In order to surprise players, they decided to cut down on the time between the announcement and the game’s release.

https://www.siliconera.com/resident-evil-3-remake-will-have-more-rearranged-elements-compared-to-resident-evil-2/

I'm surprised to read that it's 90% complete, dang it's nice to see some games that come out so soon after being announced.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Dino crisis patent spotted :siren:
"...that's disgusting!"

Toe in the water for interest in a Dino Crisis remake before launching into a very expensive but reasonably expected/wanted gameplay retcon for Code:Veronica's nonsense. That game needs lots of streamlining.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine most of the changes would be the streets and alleys between the more prominent locations. Probably have some smaller side areas too. I have to assume there will be a diner, gas station, newspaper office, town hall, hospital, etc.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just hope they don't change the fact that the doors in the electrical station can only be opened by loving with the power grid of the entire city.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Policenaut posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/resident-evil-3-remake-will-have-more-rearranged-elements-compared-to-resident-evil-2/

I'm surprised to read that it's 90% complete, dang it's nice to see some games that come out so soon after being announced.
First paragraph: I'm listening, I wanna hear what kind of changes they've done.
Everything else: No more information about the greater amount of changes.

Though I suppose them keeping the actual changes closer to their chest is a good thing. I'm just happy to have it confirmed that R3make diverges more.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Some of that is probably because RE2 was already widely (and with good reason) regarded as one of the best REs. So not much need to change things. While RE3 is usually seen as a good concept that could've used some work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Night10194 posted:

Some of that is probably because RE2 was already widely (and with good reason) regarded as one of the best REs. So not much need to change things. While RE3 is usually seen as a good concept that could've used some work.
It's definitely this. Same reason CV should be a reimagining rather than just a remake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

texting my ex posted:

Well honestly I think we can't disregard the VR thing - it's just that more scary when you are actually "in" the game, even though the mechanics are similar.

I suppose I'm mostly annoyed about the change of pace. The game was slow and cumbersome, and in an instant became something fast and frantic

if you can get three rooms away from him mr. x has a really hard time finding you until you do something very loud

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Nemesis on the other hand can show up anywhere at anytime iirc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think he technically can, but over a typical game pretty much all encounters you have with him will be pre-scripted, even the ones where he just randomly appears at the end of an alleyway and starts shooting rockets at you. What the remake will do with that is anyone's guess.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

rabidsquid posted:

if you can get three rooms away from him mr. x has a really hard time finding you until you do something very loud

He also can't abuse his plot related power to take shortcuts. So if he sees you from up on the balcony, he has to trek all the way round the building to get to you.

It leads to some Scrooby Doo moments when you abuse it.

Edit: Maybe that's how they'll differentiate Nemesis (if they're planning to). But giving him the ability to climb over environmental barriers you can't. Unless that makes the game too hard.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 19, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Too hard, maybe not. Too annoying, definitely.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Not just that, Nemesis can run. X plods along slowly (albeit menacingly) and never really makes an attempt to close the gap between you and him with any speed, but Nemesis frequently breaks into a full sprint if you're not within punching range.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

texting my ex posted:

If you can plot a route out, you're hardly dealing with Mr. X at all for the RPD romp. It's surprisingly easy. He'll still crop up a few times (regardless of where he is in the building, he's scripted to come through the door when you pick up a certain item, etc.), but can be easily avoided when he does. His presence is imposing, for sure, but it's largely just that. Any actual threat he poses is reliant upon you poking around in areas you don't need to be poking around in, or spending more time in the RPD than is necessary.

Should also be noted that if you're the slow and meticulous exploring type, you'll have the chance to come back to the RPD a little later—and Mr. X won't be there at all. You can go through the entirety of the building and clean out or finish up everything without having to worry about him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kin posted:

He also can't abuse his plot related power to take shortcuts. So if he sees you from up on the balcony, he has to trek all the way round the building to get to you.

Although I swear sometimes X teleported to somewhere in front me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Dawgstar posted:

Although I swear sometimes X teleported to somewhere in front me.

I remember a video from a while back where someone was testing the Mr X AI from outside the map, and surprisingly he does not teleport during normal gameplay. He moves at a greatly accelerated speed when there is a very large distance between him and the player, but as he gets closer he drops to his normal walking pace. The exceptions to this are scripted events where he will despawn and be respawned as necessary.

Honestly I think the implementation was both clever and more importantly, fair. He is there to apply pressure to the player rather than a being a force that must constantly be evaded. Should you come face to face with him, unless you do something really stupid there is always an avenue to make a run for it, and failing that there are options to stun him to give you a window of escape. Even after all that, if he get a punch in or two its not the end of you.

Compare that to say, the xenomorph in Isolation where unless you have the flamethrower and enough fuel to use it, or are behind a set of closing elevator/tram doors, if the xeno spots you, you are dead. It will catch you, and it will kill you.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Mr. X is designed to induce panic, and panicking is the absolute worst thing you can do when he's in the mix. If you know where you're going and what you need to do, have a route, and stick to it, he's mostly harmless. Still dangerous, but relatively easy to avoid. Doing early speedruns in hardcore definitely made me look at him differently.

gently caress that appearance in the records room, though. Good gravy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I feel like he's not the main obstacle of the records room, to be honest. The records room is a big and narrow oval so you can just lead him around in a circle to get out. The lickers that spawn just outside either entrance are way more problematic to me than him. :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

I feel like he's not the main obstacle of the records room, to be honest. The records room is a big and narrow oval so you can just lead him around in a circle to get out. The lickers that spawn just outside either entrance are way more problematic to me than him. :v:

That place is loving clown town. At least Claire doesn't have to go around that way.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

That place is loving clown town. At least Claire doesn't have to go around that way.

and god help you if you didn't board any windows and now the place is full of zombies too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Nemesis actually isn't random at all. There are specific times when he'll appear and he'll chase you through a specific set of rooms until a certain trigger. This is a "section" and they delineate the drops. Blowing Nemesis up in the Restaurant is a free drop for example, but he immediately gets up to chase you again and killing him again before you hit the trolley won't reward you with anything.

More trivia: You can get a different Live Choice by going to the Press Office before the Restaurant. You would have to go out of your way to do this because the Restaurant is closer and you can hear Carlos shooting zombies outside of it (the outcomes are the same though including the free drop).

Even more trivia: almost none of the FAQs I've read to confirm this info seem to know that the 7th Nemesis drop in your first run is the Assault Rifle instead of the Infinite Ammo Case.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something I'm really looking forward to in the RE3 remake (spoilered for the goon who mentioned they haven't played OG RE3 and are going into the remake blind) is how they'll translate to modern systems that moment of Nemesis busting down the door from the dining room to the piano room in the clock tower. It really nailed the terror of Nemesis being so unstoppable that it could even destroy loading screens.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Something I'm really looking forward to in the RE3 remake (spoilered for the goon who mentioned they haven't played OG RE3 and are going into the remake blind) is how they'll translate to modern systems that moment of Nemesis busting down the door from the dining room to the piano room in the clock tower. It really nailed the terror of Nemesis being so unstoppable that it could even destroy loading screens.

I dont remember that but then all I remember is the loving WATER TREATMENT PUZZLE YES I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, having a gameshark at the time and I think even though I wasn't using cheats, as I remember anyway I blamed it for the game freezing up in one of the alleyways. And the anniversary box of M&Ms parents gave me that christmas I got it. I really only vaguely remember the initial streets area and thats it. Crazy because I was RE obsessed as a kid, but I only ever played it through once or twice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm sure they will since it's a pretty iconic part of the game but I hope they keep the "killing Nemesis to get sweet gear" aspect of RE3 in the remake

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If they give the re3-style choices they will probably include nice drops buuut on the other hand they allowed themselves more changes for re3 than they did for re2.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

And sometimes you forget you snuck past them before and X chases you right into them! Ha ha... ha.

It was then I decided that I had to kill lickers if I could, which meant saving up the heavy stuff for them. That worked okay, although I found later a video that showed you can just knife them to death if you sneak up on them but I never worked up the nerve.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just throw a flashbang grenade as soon as you run out of the records room.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's cool that the devs seemed to show some foresight in Leon's A scenario by making it possible to get the magnum before you trigger Mr. X. The idea being that since the shotgun doesn't stun Lickers very well, you can get the magnum to kill off Lickers in key areas.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Tbh RE2 classic is still great today, whereas RE3 was a pretty frustrating experience for me that felt like it needed another 6 months in the oven. I'm glad they're up for changing things around a bit more given the expanded setting, but hope it manages to still make zombies feel genuinely dangerous like RE2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Depending on how they design the city part of the game/what kind of dodges you can actually do I wouldn’t be surprised if travel in the streets is more about avoiding as many zombies as possible and only attacking those you absolutely can’t get around.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

outbreak.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

honestly that makes the most sense, REsistance would be the proof of concept/test bed for the netcode.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's actually a port of RE4 for the Playdate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A remake of Dead Aim.