Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

polyester concept posted:

I don't buy that Machina II sounds lovely because it's a vinyl rip. I have heard tons of vinyl rips of commercial albums taken on bottom of the barrel consumer turntables, and they sound "fine". It sounds lovely because Billy wanted it to sound that way.

Yes, this exactly. They were, I believe, quickly recorded and mixed, and most of them weren't painstakingly perfected like other regular albums. I do think some of the tracks are intentionally fuzzed out (Real Love), whereas others might just need some more work (Soul Power).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think there are full studio versions of at least most of the songs out there that Billy leaked as the original Friends and Enemies of Modern Music mixtape, I know I used to have Dross and Crash Car Star from that. I think the other version of Here's To The Atom Bomb is from that too.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Actually now that I'm thinking about it, Home loving slaps and its probably even better than Real Love. And that sounds like it's mixed/recorded fine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Iirc Real Love was supposed to sound like a shoegaze song, so that's probably part of it.

also Slow Dawn is the darkhorse best machina 2 song.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Slow Dawn is real good. Would love to hear it more cleaned up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I think there are full studio versions of at least most of the songs out there that Billy leaked as the original Friends and Enemies of Modern Music mixtape, I know I used to have Dross and Crash Car Star from that. I think the other version of Here's To The Atom Bomb is from that too.

I love the original riff from Atom Bomb so much, that the electronic version kind of bugs me, in just how inferior it is.

Also, I get the opening drumbeat of Lucky 13 stuck in my head all the time. I blame their DVD that had it as a menu track for that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Was that the video hits collection dvd? God, I need to dig that thing out, I think the version of gently caress You on there's still the only official release from the Metro show.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

New Billy solo album out on the 22nd:

quote:

COTILLIONS: NOV 22, this double album, a true labor of love, is available on all digital platforms. All you have to do is pre-subscribe so you can see the song titles and have it waiting for you the moment it comes out. Don’t miss the chance to hear it for yourself before others tell you what my songs are or aren’t. There is a reason I trust you, the people who support me day in and day out, to decide whether or not my efforts are worthy. We live in a different world now, where an artist can speak directly to you without the filter of mass media shaping your heart and opinions before you’ve even had a chance to decide whether this music speaks to you. And this is absolutely an album from my heart. And so is the new SP, which will be out soon enough. I can’t thank you enough for the support I’ve been given to make moments like this possible. Soon, we’ll have details on how you can order a vinyl copy, of which there will be 2 editions; the Zuzu’s version being limited and having more in it. Lastly, please give love to the artist who made the statues on the front cover, @avassfez and shot the cover and all images within, @jennyfaridathastrom. Now, go pre-subscribe for this record. OUT TO YOU Nov 22
-WPC

01 To Scatter One’s Own
02 Hard Times
03 Jubilee
04 Fragile, The Spark
05 Cotillions
06 Faithless Darlin’
07 Colosseum
08 Martinets
09 Buffalo Boys
10 Dancehall
11 Cri de Coeur
12 Like Lambs
13 Rider
14 Apologia
15 Neptulius
16 6+7
17 Anon

Wtf is a cotillion you ask?

quote:

The cotillion (also cotillon or French country dance) is a social dance, popular in 18th-century Europe and America. Originally for four couples in square formation, it was a courtly version of an English country dance, the forerunner of the quadrille and, in the United States, the square dance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Billy solo album out on the 22nd:

01 To Scatter One’s Own
02 Hard Times
03 Jubilee
04 Fragile, The Spark
05 Cotillions
06 Faithless Darlin’
07 Colosseum
08 Martinets
09 Buffalo Boys
10 Dancehall
11 Cri de Coeur
12 Like Lambs
13 Rider
14 Apologia
15 Neptulius
16 6+7
17 Anon

Wtf is a cotillion you ask?

Well, if any of these tracks are aa half as good as Aeronaut, then I'm all over it. Goddamn, I love that track.

Also, I'm new to Google Music, will this album be available day 1, or is there a delay for streaming services?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Machina I/II are horrendously underrated. I genuinely think if they had nicer production people would've put them up with the big four (Gish, SD, MCIS, Adore). It's leagues better than anything they've put out recently, and are genuinely bangers in my opinion.
"Dross" is absolutely one of the best riff-based-rawk-Pumpkins songs. When they debuted it on the Arising! tour I was like HOLY poo poo THIS BAND IS GOING TO STAY AWESOME FOREVER.

:(

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Also, speaking of Arising!-era riffy-Pumpkins, I'd love to hear a studio version of "Virex" before it got weighed down with a wall of bizarre effects and turned into "The Imploding Voice"

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was that the video hits collection dvd? God, I need to dig that thing out, I think the version of gently caress You on there's still the only official release from the Metro show.

Sadly, yes. That's the one slice of whatever the gently caress went on in the Metro that night. I was at the bigger arena show that happened a day or two before? Flew from Houston to see that thing because gently caress the Pumpkins were ending and they were my 90's dammit. If I knew then what I know now …
I probably still would have gone

I've heard stories that Iha and Billy were not super cool with each other at that Metro show. Billy was in tears when the set ended and aped for the crowd. James unplugged and got the gently caress out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

I've heard stories that Iha and Billy were not super cool with each other at that Metro show. Billy was in tears when the set ended and aped for the crowd. James unplugged and got the gently caress out.

Oh yeah, you can literally see James rolling his eyes during billy's mid-song rambling in that video.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I think by the time they played that show only Jimmy was still speaking to Billy anymore and even Melissa was done with his bullshit.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

billy's new album is out today and it's a bluegrass album

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the newish SP album for 10 bucks on vinyl never having heard it and I wish I had just bought a sandwich. dang that's bad.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Weirdly I'm kind of vibing on Cottilions which I didn't do as much with Ogilala.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Musically it's not bad, his singing is atrocious though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

billy's new album is out today and it's a bluegrass album

I can’t for the life of me tell if you’re joking or not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ballz posted:

I can’t for the life of me tell if you’re joking or not.

It's like the Lumberjack Dexter thing. You can say it out loud in front of people who haven't experienced it, and they'll likely not believe you.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's like the Lumberjack Dexter thing. You can say it out loud in front of people who haven't experienced it, and they'll likely not believe you.

And like Dexter I’m glad I checked out when I did.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhBSqYVVrs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, two nights ago, my wife and I went to see the Jerry Granelli trio perform A Charlie Brown Christmas live. I'm not huge into jazz, but of course I grew up with that movie. It was a fantastic night, everyone played amazingly perfect, Granelli especially. Dude's 79, still is as spry and quick as ever, both verbally, and technically, on the kit. He was the drummer for the Vince Guaraldi trio, who had originally composed and recorded the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

I'm still not huge into jazz, though I respect the hell out of it. That being said, I DO love jazz drumming, and I'd say that it's defintiely my favourite genre of it. And it occurred to me, after the show, that that's why Jimmy Chamberlin is, by far, my favourite drummer. He started as a jazz drummer, so he's got *that special way* of playing that, to me, is far and away better and more listenable than a lot of other drumming greats. I'm not saying he's the best (though he might be pretty drat close), but he's my favourite. He's always got a groove, it's never mechanical, there's always a feel to what he's playing. I find a lot of drummers play just to keep the song going, or because 'hey, we can't NOT have drums', but Jimmy really brings the drumming into its own, and truly makes it just as important as the 12 guitar tracks Billy lays down.

Anyway, it was kind of a double-epiphany to me, like a) holy poo poo, it turns out I LOVE jazz drumming, and b) oh… that's why Jimmy's always been my favourite. Cool!

If anyone should have the opportunity to see Granelli play live, take it. Lucky for me, he now calls east coast :canada: home :toot:

Separate to this, how many of you have Pumpkins albums that remind you of Christmas? I was 13 when I first heard them (it was BWBW on MuchMusic that blew me away), and had to have MCIS for Christmas. Two years later, I asked for TAFH boxset, and got it, and since then, both collections are just Christmas albums to me, all the way. I have to listen to them in their entirety at least once, every year, around the holidays.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My intro was the Greatest Hits and the B-side which is really a fantastic album all around and yeah I still associate it with Christmas

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

My intro was the Greatest Hits and the B-side which is really a fantastic album all around and yeah I still associate it with Christmas

Nice! I got that a couple years later, so 'Untitled' (with the video filmed during the winter) also adds to my Christmas association. Most of the tracks on there already remind me of other times, though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There are a lot of great jazz drummers out there. I’ve recently been listening to a lot of Max Roach and Art Blakey, myself.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ocarina of Time reminds me of Siamese Dream because I got both of them for Christmas that year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Ocarina of Time reminds me of Siamese Dream because I got both of them for Christmas that year.

Yeah, I played that game alongside Ok Computer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New double album planned for the end of 2020.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Billy posted:

"This is the first album since the album that came out in 2000, 'Machina', where me, James and Jimmy worked on something for a very long time. It's got a greater conceptual base, and it's probably a wider swath of music. The last one was kind of like, 'Let's just jump in, record some stuff real fast, and let it be what it is,' ... so I'm excited about this, because we're kind of back in the lane of taking a risk, and trying to bring something new to the table, as opposed to just aping what we're known for."

I like how he's basically just admitting that Shiny Vol. I was a total rush job. Explains why it was so short and unpolished despite having some good ideas on it.

Hoping the double album is good and it will not disappoint.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm just hopeful since it doesn't say Rick Rubin is producing so it might actually sound good. Oceania sounded really good! It's possible!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Don't quote me on this, but I want to say I remember hearing that Billy himself was doing the producing?

That said, I'd love to hear what Butch Vig could do with their modern stuff.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
As long as William's voice is nice and loud, preferably much louder than everything else. I'd like to struggle to hear the drums over him singing some nonsense sound like, "wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yawn

where is the machina remaster billy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Seaniqua posted:

As long as William's voice is nice and loud, preferably much louder than everything else. I'd like to struggle to hear the drums over him singing some nonsense sound like, "wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh"

He mentioned something about making something shoegazey, so maybe not?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Seaniqua posted:

Where's Billy Corgan's A Capella? Enough of this poo poo with guitars and stuff. I want all Corgan vocals, all the time!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cemetry Gator posted:

Where's Billy Corgan's A Capella? Enough of this poo poo with guitars and stuff. I want all Corgan vocals, all the time!

I think Zwan did an a cappella song live, and there's always somewhere over the rainbow from silverfuck back in the Siamese dream era.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Zwan did an a cappella song live, and there's always somewhere over the rainbow from silverfuck back in the Siamese dream era.

That's an amazing live cut of that track. I remember spending way too much money on a bootleg CD of Viewphoria way before it got officially released.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We Only Come Out At Night is in an iPhone commercial (advertising night mode for photos, of course)

It was surprising to hear that deep cut while my wife was watching the Oscars. I like that one.

My favorite non-single from that album might have to be Muzzle though. Amazing drumming on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Supposedly Muzzle was planned to be the fifth single, but then Jimmy and Jonathan Melvoin overdosing happened and they wanted to go with a song that had less prominent drums.