Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Spark bolt with trigger into doublecast arrow/bouncing orb would be my preference over your current second wand. It's not great but it'll sustain way longer than the bombs/acid globs you currently have on there. A nonshuffled wand with 6+ capacity and minimally adequate cast/recharge times and mana pool is typically the workhorse of my arsenal.

Hmm yeah this is a good suggestion I guess. My main concern is the turrets though. I think lightning bolts would probably be the best common/basic spell against them but I don't have that... second best, bombs of some kind, but those are all limited...

I love this silly game although I suck at it. My complaint is though that seems very feast-or-famine. Or even both at the same time - I mean, this run I'm feasting on a million different spells and some decent wands... but don't have lightning bolt. :v: Nukes are cool yeah, but not quite the same thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

jaete posted:

Ok so I'm about to enter the Hiisi base

Plan is... drop the nukes down the shaft I guess... maybe try out the weird fireball thrower mods and I dunno, use that wand for the bombs?

I've never got through the Hiisi base yet, last few times I didn't have anything good enough to deal with the turrets. This time there's a wand with lightning bolts in the shop but I don't have enough gold haha. Maybe the two nukes will kill some of them? :v:

I again have the other ingredients for an explosive mist cloud wand, but like last time, don't have homing, and it is indeed kinda hard to hit bad guys without it

the hiisi base shaft is pretty short, so it's likely the nuke will knock chunks off the roof of the temple and anger the gods

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

jaete posted:

I've never got through the Hiisi base yet, last few times I didn't have anything good enough to deal with the turrets. This time there's a wand with lightning bolts in the shop but I don't have enough gold haha. Maybe the two nukes will kill some of them? :v:

Fun fact, the tablets of wisdom or whatever will instantly kill the turrets, AND count as an “accidental” kill so they drop double gold. They’re super easy gold pinatas!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

CodfishCartographer posted:

Fun fact, the tablets of wisdom or whatever will instantly kill the turrets, AND count as an “accidental” kill so they drop double gold. They’re super easy gold pinatas!

Oh poo poo that is good to know, thanks!

So I guess the turrets are like those weird flying ghost batons (which I've never seen myself yet), super resistant to everything except physical tablet damage

Hmm. Is "throw thing at enemy" the same kind of damage as kicking? Could one kick the turrets (and ghost batons, etc) to death?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Second wand, went with some damage stuff instead of bombs

In action

https://i.imgur.com/uJYeYHe.mp4

Yeah, these fireball throwers don't feel very... safe

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jaete posted:

Second wand, went with some damage stuff instead of bombs

In action

https://i.imgur.com/uJYeYHe.mp4

Yeah, these fireball throwers don't feel very... safe

Fireball thrower is a lot weaker than you'd think

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

jaete posted:

Oh poo poo that is good to know, thanks!

So I guess the turrets are like those weird flying ghost batons (which I've never seen myself yet), super resistant to everything except physical tablet damage

Hmm. Is "throw thing at enemy" the same kind of damage as kicking? Could one kick the turrets (and ghost batons, etc) to death?

kicks do one damage per, if i recall correctly. might be higher but it’s definitely not worth it

any sort of accelerated or falling environment will instakill, though. earthquake would be great for killing packs of nasty units if not for how great it is at killing you too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So uhhh I found an Orb.... what are they?

Also the tablets I keep finding seem to be telling some kind of story but also using up inventory space, are they just mobile melee/throwing weapons or am I missing some obvious use for them?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They're initially spells you can grab for that run but then they're just HP UPs for subsequent ones. It does play a role with the end boss increases their HP the more Orbs you have.

Tablets can be converted to gold on the floating island but otherwise they're something decent to chuck at enemies for accidental gold.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have had nearly zero luck with throwing tablets at enemies to kill them. Invariably I end up taking so much damage that I have to bug out early and net less money in consequence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sage Grimm posted:

Tablets can be converted to gold on the floating island but otherwise they're something decent to chuck at enemies for accidental gold.

Haha, I only just found the thing in the spoiler tag but couldn't quite get up there. There's still so much to figure out about this game, I always feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I only just found the thing in the spoiler tag but couldn't quite get up there. There's still so much to figure out about this game, I always feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.

The whole orb/tablet aspect of the game feels only partially implemented, for what it's worth. Seems like something that should get expanded on later into development

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

goferchan posted:

The whole orb/tablet aspect of the game feels only partially implemented, for what it's worth. Seems like something that should get expanded on later into development

It's what they'll be implementing the alchemy recipe hints into

-SD-
May 16, 2005

resistentialism posted:

berserking healers no longer works, now replaced by charming them

That's a good change. Finally a good use for charming potions.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Playing an old game on the new beta patch has shuffled around the contents of a number of flasks and explosive containers. Acid warheads are labelled "Green Meteorite" and explode into soil and tree seeds. Various odd liquids are showing up in flasks I already walked by, which netted me a lively concoction flask.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A ton of new poo poo appears to have been added recently!

New liquids, at least two of them: acceleratium (or something similar) and Concentrated Mana. The first makes you go SUPER fast, and the second gives you super fast mana recovery. Both seem to wear off very quickly, though. I managed to find flasks of both before evne reaching the hiisi base, so they don't seem to be particularly rare. There's also a "light up" projectile modifier, and a new type of bomb that, after exploding, splits into multiple smaller bombs. Seems like a good replacement for the default starting bomb, if you don't find anything better at digging. Enemies can now also drop large gold nuggets, rather than huge rear end gold piles.

e:THERE ARE WORM PHEROMONE FLASKS TOO OH GOD

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 19, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

e:THERE ARE WORM PHEROMONE FLASKS TOO OH GOD

GLUG GLUG GLUG

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If you happen to run across perks such as breathless and electrical immunity and some form of water generating spells (like water trail), wouldn't it be a good idea to flood every level and then electrocute it?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

TeaJay posted:

If you happen to run across perks such as breathless and electrical immunity and some form of water generating spells (like water trail), wouldn't it be a good idea to flood every level and then electrocute it?

It's a thing you can do but it takes forever and isn't exactly fun

There's also a decent chance it will crash the game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's a totally hypothetical question and not at all related to the fact that in this seed there are just no useful wands anywhere up until Hiisi base and the selection of perks makes that kind of war of attrition possible. If the freezing liquid containers explode when eletrocuted too, it might make for a fun nautical event for the Hiisi...

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I had a game with a super low recharge always cast increase duration wand I put increased mana, water trail, and laser drill on. It just spewed endless geysers and flooded levels ridiculously fast and I had electrical immunity and it was interesting for a couple minutes and then I had my first and only crash. Would not recommend

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

If the freezing liquid containers explode when eletrocuted
What do you mean if? :v:

The only container I can think of that doesn't explode when electrocuted is the crates. Hell, the glass flasks explode when electrocuted!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The last game I started the snowy depths by dropping a sea of lava, moving one screen to the left, dropping another sea of lava, further left, more lava. Fairly effective. The lava melts the snow and then solidifies leaving a lot of small cover, and also, the lava thing.

-SD-
May 16, 2005

Snowy Update is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbOwlheDVh8

https://noitagame.com/release_notes/

Nolla Games posted:

FEATURE: 15 new spells!
FEATURE: New, very elusive creature roams a certain area...
FEATURE: New creature. Very bomb.
FEATURE: 5 new weather phenomena
FEATURE: 5 new magical materials
FEATURE: New Game+

UPDATE: No restart when entering nightmare game via main menu
UPDATE: Downwards bolt bundle has unlimited uses
UPDATE: Changed item attraction perk to gold attraction to make it more useful
UPDATE: A hidden creature has an extra tool
UPDATE: Tweaked a boss' sounds
UPDATE: Foggy nights are darker
UPDATE: Cosmetic tweaks to fire immunity perk
UPDATE: Optimization - tentacles are more CPU-friendly
UPDATE: Various gameplay tweaks
UPDATE: Gold nuggets come in various different sizes
UPDATE: Summon hollow egg has unlimited uses

BUGFIX: Nightmare mode - some of the entrances were blocked
BUGFIX: Nightmare mode - empty chunks were appearing in places
BUGFIX: Thunderstone could be placed into spell inventory
BUGFIX: Fungal caverns had no potion spawns
BUGFIX: Healers etc were friendly with player
BUGFIX: Revenge explosion and tentacle did nothing
BUGFIX: Fixed TNT explosions
BUGFIX: Several randomized effects were broken
BUGFIX: Loading screen audio didn't fade smoothly
BUGFIX: Autosave should work better now
BUGFIX: Crash - Boss crashes, general stability fixes
BUGFIX: Crash - relating to the Light modifier

MODDING: Mods can define new game modes (see mods/nightmare for an example)
MODDING: Lua/BUGFIX - dofile handling when file doesn't exist was a bit broken and didn't log errors
MODDING: Lua/BUGFIX - fixed a lua sandbox escape exploit
MODDING: Lua - added ProceduralRandomf()
MODDING: Lua - added Randomf()
MODDING: Lua - added GetComponentTypeName()
MODDING: Lua - added GameGetDateAndTimeLocal()
MODDING: Lua - added GameGetDateAndTimeUTC()
MODDING: Lua - added GameEmitRainParticles()
MODDING: Lua - added GetRandomAction()
MODDING: Lua - added script_kick to LuaComponent
MODDING: Tags - now there are 256 tag slots available for Entities

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do not like the look of that cluster of baby spiders one bit

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

it's great, the big spiders will hang there tapping the nests until all the little babies come out and then they will run around as a big ball of spiders

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just like in real life.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I too would like a wand that tootles for a bit before launching a holy hand grenade.

-SD-
May 16, 2005

resistentialism posted:

it's great, the big spiders will hang there tapping the nests until all the little babies come out and then they will run around as a big ball of spiders
Like this: https://old.reddit.com/r/noita/comments/e7zwzx/man_what_the_fuck/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jaete posted:

Ok so I'm about to enter the Hiisi base

Plan is... drop the nukes down the shaft I guess... maybe try out the weird fireball thrower mods and I dunno, use that wand for the bombs?

I again have the other ingredients for an explosive mist cloud wand, but like last time, don't have homing, and it is indeed kinda hard to hit bad guys without it

You always have something good enough to deal with the turrets: your legs.
They can't follow you, so just walk away!

If you really want to kill them though, it's possible-but-slow to do it safely with nothing but a spark bolt wand. The trick is that they take a long time to adjust their aim after you come into view, so you wait until they're looking the other direction, peek around some cover, give the turret a good zap, then hide again before it turns to face you and repeat all over again.

Sage Grimm posted:

Tablets can be converted to gold on the floating island

But last I checked this was basically just for flavor and not really a meaningful use of your time. It's only like 100 gold per tablet which is barely worth backtracking for even if you're in the first level and can just walk up there.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 19, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dunno if it's new or not, but the tablets don't all give you money on the floating platform, I tossed one on there, probably the 4th one, and it turned into the giant lava filled floating guys who just immediately murked me. I've got a decent gif of it I'll upload tonight.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Sage Grimm posted:

I too would like a wand that tootles for a bit before launching a holy hand grenade.

1...2...5!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you want the notes: Dig down from the top of the tree and then wonder what "E.S.A" means.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Continued my previous game, as I had explosion immunity I figured it would be fun to drop a nuke down this very deep shaft in the Hiisi base. Did just that, hid successfully from the earthquake effect, everything went fine... and then, like three minutes later, "you have angered the gods". What. :v:

Explored a bit more but was taking too much damage from everything as always, so took the exit portal. Had a second nuke left, tried to kill Skeleton Steve with it... unsuccessful. :catstare: Not sure how he survived but welp. Other wands not good enough to kill him. :noita:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sadly, the mod that removed God seems to have been broken. Hopefully it'll be updated soon, if it's not already.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jaete posted:

Explored a bit more but was taking too much damage from everything as always, so took the exit portal. Had a second nuke left, tried to kill Skeleton Steve with it... unsuccessful. :catstare: Not sure how he survived but welp. Other wands not good enough to kill him. :noita:

probably the single blast just neutralized his shield

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

resistentialism posted:

If you want the notes: Dig down from the top of the tree and then wonder what "E.S.A" means.

Hempuli, one of the devs of Noita, previously made a game named Environmental Station Alpha.
It's a pretty fun metroidvania, you should check it out.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Dunno if it's new or not, but the tablets don't all give you money on the floating platform, I tossed one on there, probably the 4th one, and it turned into the giant lava filled floating guys who just immediately murked me. I've got a decent gif of it I'll upload tonight.

This isn't new. The chance for getting ganged by Hell beasts increases with each tablet usage. It still spawns gold but their lava blasts destroy it.

Has anyone figured out how to trigger stuff with the music notes yet?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

probably the single blast just neutralized his shield

Lmao, that shield absorbs the entirety of a nuke?

Do any of the player shields do that? I was thinking shields would always be "leaky" when confronted with overkill levels of damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As best I can tell, they absorb/deflect a set number of hits. Rapid fire weak hits are the way to go vs. shielded enemies. I assume the same holds true for player shields.