Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SirPablo posted:

I'm suddenly very conscious of how not sharp my knives are.
This thread is now about knives and how boomers don't know how to cook anything that doesn't come in a box or can.

Boomers will refuse to add salt or oil to their cooking because it is unhealty, but will eat prepackaged food with 80% or recommended daily allowance of sodium per serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Thesaurus posted:

very cool, very sane post

We are living in very sane times

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CopperHound posted:

This thread is now about knives and how boomers don't know how to cook anything that doesn't come in a box or can..
Boomers don't need sharp knives because all their vegetables come pre-cut frozen or in a can.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thesaurus posted:

They're having a Heated Activist Moment.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Chomp8645 posted:

They're having a Heated CHUD Moment.

don't get ratfucked by obvious dipshits

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I asked for a knife sharpener for Christmas. My knives are dull as gently caress.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

don't get ratfucked by obvious dipshits

What?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ratfucking is a term used to describe political sabotage or general political fuckery.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

the poster you quoted wasn't an activist but someone trying to derail the conversation by exaggerating my correct and responsible ideas to their most reprehensible form.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I learned from the French, it's when you start chopping off rich heads you eventually run out and start chopping off everyone else's heads and then somehow the rich heads get back in power. At least they're different rich heads this time.

Framboise posted:

I asked for a knife sharpener for Christmas. My knives are dull as gently caress.

They make motorized belt fed knife sharpeners that I kind of want. But it's literally a heavy metal motor that's only use is sharpening knives once a year so I'll just sharpen them 'meh' with a wet stone.

There's definitely an art to it all that I haven't figured out.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 19, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Krispy Wafer posted:

If there's one thing I learned from the French, it's when you start chopping off rich heads you eventually run out and start chopping off everyone else's heads and then somehow the rich heads get back in power. At least they're different rich heads this time.

going to guess you scored poorly on the AP European History final, huh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the poster you quoted wasn't an activist but someone trying to derail the conversation by exaggerating my correct and responsible ideas to their most reprehensible form.

Oh ok.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yes, "somehow" the rich got back in power lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

going to guess you scored poorly on the AP European History final, huh.

Ha! We didn't even have an AP European History class. Our AP US History class occasionally talked about us going over and helping Europe though.

hawowanlawow posted:

yes, "somehow" the rich got back in power lol

Weird how that works out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

They make motorized belt fed knife sharpeners that I kind of want. But it's literally a heavy metal motor that's only use is sharpening knives once a year so I'll just sharpen them 'meh' with a wet stone.

There's definitely an art to it all that I haven't figured out.

Framboise posted:

Spyderco Tri Sharpener. One of the Best $100 Purchases I’ve made.

Content: A few weeks ago I was leaving a parking garage and got stuck behind a boomer talking to the remote assistant about how she already paid while trying to insert her credit card receipt into the machine. She refused to listen to his directions, but I think he just lifted the gate for her. She drove through and slowed down to a crawling the hotel parking area, looking at her receipt but still moving.

I went around her and moved out onto the road, but became unsure of whether or not I was supposed to go (Halifax has weird 5 way stops). I looked in my mirror and the same lady who wasted 5 minutes of my life was upset (edit: throwing her hands, silently yelling) that I wasted 10 seconds of hers lol

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 19, 2019

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Boomers hate lard but love crisco
Boomers hate butter but love margarine
Boomers think olive oil is perfect for pan frying

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Thesaurus posted:

I agree. gently caress the rich.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sentient Data posted:

I asked and received a butter bell for Christmas a few years back. My mom didn't like getting it for me (it was the only thing I actually asked for when they asked), because I should just get the spreadable kind of butter. I like how when you examine those tubs, it's called "buttery spread."

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Sentient Data posted:

Oh god, this, SOO MUCH.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Sentient Data posted:

Don’t forget the open tub of used crisco sitting on the counter gathering dust and pet hair!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Crisco has a purpose other than seasoning cast iron?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Framboise posted:

Crisco has a purpose other than seasoning cast iron?

It's the boomer replacement for cooking fat because in the 70's and 80's they thought that all fat in food was bad.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sure, just dump 3/4 cup into a cookie recipe because butter is so unhealthy https://www.crisco.com/recipes/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookies-2102

E: Holy loving lol

that same link posted:

You might be tempted to grab some good ol’ butter for this recipe. Resist the urge. Shortening is the key to perfect pie crust, crispy fried food, and fluffy baked goods and frosting.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

It's the boomer replacement for cooking fat because in the 70's and 80's they thought that all fat in food was bad.

I know, I was just making a bad joke about how I never see Crisco in recipes anymore and all I've ever used the poo poo for was seasoning my cast iron pans.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My wife's cousin posted some real boomer poo poo on FB about there once being a time when people respected the president and how we need to go back to that time.

Then he got all pissy because people in the comments brought up Trump because it had nothing to do with Trump. He's like 30 and full of cop and veteran worship brainworms.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Sure, just dump 3/4 cup into a cookie recipe because butter is so unhealthy https://www.crisco.com/recipes/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookies-2102

E: Holy loving lol

That's only true in the ratios provided in the recipes created by the crisco lobby. Butter isnt a direct substitute, you have to do it differently.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My boomer father is somewhat aware that olive oil isn't the greatest oil for cooking because he has some old bottles of walnut and avacado oil in his kitchen that he never uses

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CopperHound posted:

This thread is now about knives and how boomers don't know how to cook anything that doesn't come in a box or can.

Boomers will refuse to add salt or oil to their cooking because it is unhealty, but will eat prepackaged food with 80% or recommended daily allowance of sodium per serving.

its fine they only eat one serving/the box.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Leon Einstein posted:

My wife's cousin posted some real boomer poo poo on FB about there once being a time when people respected the president and how we need to go back to that time.

Then he got all pissy because people in the comments brought up Trump because it had nothing to do with Trump. He's like 30 and full of cop and veteran worship brainworms.

Obviously he was referring to how the right wing lost their goddamn minds when Obama was elected and started protesting on street corners before he even took office! I too remember those days.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

My favorite is when all they have to grease a pan is vegetable oil because butter and olive oil are full of fat and mustn’t be used for any reason.

My dad can’t cook an egg to save his life. He’ll cook them on high heat until they’re hard and brown and add no salt because that’s bad for you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My dad can’t cook an egg to save his life. He’ll cook them on high heat until they’re hard and brown and add no salt because that’s bad for you.

Jesus this right here.

"Who wants eggs?"
*sets down what can only be described as a plate of several ripped up strips of 40-year-old weathered baseball leather*

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My favorite is when all they have to grease a pan is vegetable oil because butter and olive oil are full of fat and mustn’t be used for any reason.

My uncle did something similar once at a family party. He doesn't like mingling or entertaining or anything, so he instead holes himself up in his dingy uninviting basement and just sits there on his computer or watching TV. In one of his constant efforts to lose weight and live healthier, he came to the dinner table, and instead of getting a proper plate with food, he told my aunt that he'd just fill up this smaller bowl and eat only that. Fine.

He then climbed out of the basement five more times with that same drat bowl.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus this right here.

"Who wants eggs?"
*sets down what can only be described as a plate of several ripped up strips of 40-year-old weathered baseball leather*

My mom's principle is "If it's worth cooking, it's work overcooking", and if she was ever even told of the Malliard reaction, she wasn't listening. She cooked thanksgiving turkey in a crockpot for 12 hours, and then makes soup after throwing away the bones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's wrong with using olive oil for pan frying?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Panfilo posted:

What's wrong with using olive oil for pan frying?

Low smoke point.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Huh. Never had a problem with it but I'm also careful when I cook eggs to keep the heat lower and just spend two more minutes longer making sure they aren't charred and sulfury.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Huh. Never had a problem with it but I'm also careful when I cook eggs to keep the heat lower and just spend two more minutes longer making sure they aren't charred and sulfury.

It's fine for eggs obviously.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A second fried egg has crashed into the knife derail!

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Cooking eggs you need high heat immediately and then you bring the heat down to medium to medium-low. If you get your pan hot enough before you put your eggs on, you'd probably wind up burning the olive oil so no.. it's not fine for eggs. Just use butter or bacon fat ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Leon Einstein posted:

Low smoke point.

If your olive oil has a low smoke point, it's not pure olive oil. I use olive oil all the time to caramelize fresh onion in my Instant Pot and have never had a problem.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 19, 2019