Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

I've been using a 3700X for the past few days with everything left at defaults. Been happy with the temps and other stuff so given that is there any reason to mess with Ryzen Master? Has Windows 10 pretty much sorted out the issues with Ryzen power management, core parking, and all that stuff?

To clarify: I mean mess with fan or power curves or install the AMD provided power plans.

I think Ryzen Balanced power plan enables the fastest pstate switching so you can try that but it should work fine either way if you're running a recent BIOS and chipset drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

Could I get a gigabit connection and become a video game server host or something

Google: someone employ this man at Stadia, stat

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fabulousity posted:

I've been using a 3700X for the past few days with everything left at defaults. Been happy with the temps and other stuff so given that is there any reason to mess with Ryzen Master? Has Windows 10 pretty much sorted out the issues with Ryzen power management, core parking, and all that stuff?

To clarify: I mean mess with fan or power curves or install the AMD provided power plans.

For me everything has worked great with default settings, I'm glad I waited rather than buying right at launch.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Starting to regret not getting the 3600. Anyone know if I can exchange the 2600x I bought two days ago for a 3600 + difference at Microcenter? Also, if I do that do I have to reinstall OS and everything else or can I just swap it on the MSI B450 Tomahawk?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You could just swap it. I'd reinstall the AMD chipset drivers, that's it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Before you swap make sure you are on a BIOS that has 3000 series support. Grab the newest non-beta BIOS, if it's a new board from 2 days ago it's probably already on one. I have the same board and checked a few days ago and the newest BIOS was 1.0.0.3ABBA, today the 1.0.0.4B is out of beta so you should update anyway. Release date is still 11-11 so it's the same BIOS that was in beta for a month, just now it's considered tested.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's the same motherboard, would this actually matter? It's probably not a bad idea.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

pixaal posted:

Before you swap make sure you are on a BIOS that has 3000 series support. Grab the newest non-beta BIOS, if it's a new board from 2 days ago it's probably already on one. I have the same board and checked a few days ago and the newest BIOS was 1.0.0.3ABBA, today the 1.0.0.4B is out of beta so you should update anyway. Release date is still 11-11 so it's the same BIOS that was in beta for a month, just now it's considered tested.

It's the same motherboard, would this actually matter? It's probably not a bad idea.

Thanks friends for the info. I'm having trouble telling what BIOS my mobo has. Inside the BIOS it says E7C02AMS 9/24/2019, I assume this was the one right before the BETA?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

No longer really necessary with Win 10 especially for the same platform.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Crunchy Black posted:

No longer really necessary with Win 10 especially for the same platform.

Cool. I didn't know if the 3 series power plan included with the drivers was the same or not.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks friends for the info. I'm having trouble telling what BIOS my mobo has. Inside the BIOS it says E7C02AMS 9/24/2019, I assume this was the one right before the BETA?

Yep, that's the older version. It's Ryzen 3000 compatible, but you should upgrade anyways, because the new Bios comes with significantly improved Microcode for the newer CPUs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A wild Renoir appears.

R7 is 8C8T and probably R9 is 8C16T.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 20, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
But it's still gonna be loving rear end because IT IS GONNA USE VEGA GRAPHICS AGAIN ASDFJKALSJTKATJASFL:HMSD:KLGJSEKR:MNGSDKNGASEROJT

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

is it thicc tho

But what sort of equivalent is that ¿

E: I can barely read that site on my phone

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 20, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Eh it isn’t that surprising, there was a recent Fortune interview with Dr. Su on YouTube where she made quite clear that Server/HPC is the primary focus and everything else is an afterthought for now. That interview made me realize that the Desktop/HEDT products just happen to align quite well with their primary strategy.
Mobile doesn’t and Intel isn’t quite as asleep at the wheel here either (Ice Lake, etc)

e: fixed HPC

eames fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 21, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

A wild Renoir appears.

R7 is 8C8T and probably R9 is 8C16T.

Alotta people are speculating that 3dmark is misreporting and its still actually a 4/8 and not an 8/8. In some ways, that would make the performance make more sense. I have no idea though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

Eh it isn’t that surprising, there was a recent Fortune interview with Dr. Su on YouTube where she made quite clear that Server/HTPC is the primary focus and everything else is an afterthought for now. That interview made me realize that the Desktop/HEDT products just happen to align quite well with their primary strategy.
Mobile doesn’t and Intel isn’t quite as asleep at the wheel here either (Ice Lake, etc)

....HEDT, eames. Or HPC.

HTPC is another thing entirely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
64 core HTPC. Intense movie watching.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The lack of a decent Gpu compute story is not making sense though. Nvidia is dominant to a degree intel is not in the data center.

I think th wild success of amd in the server and desktop will give them a base to move into laptop.

At the very least they can steal designs and get their gpus in.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel posted:

64 core HTPC. Intense movie watching.

my room correction system is, uh, complicated :grovertoot:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But it's still gonna be loving rear end because IT IS GONNA USE VEGA GRAPHICS AGAIN ASDFJKALSJTKATJASFL:HMSD:KLGJSEKR:MNGSDKNGASEROJT

You're heavily limited by system RAM bandwidth and by power/heat due to the CPU being on the same die anyways so using a newer GPU core won't matter too much for performance.

If they stuck with Vega but put 1Gb of HBM on there it'd actually be pretty drat awesome performance-wise for a iGPU and you'd probably go nuts for it.

Malcolm XML posted:

The lack of a decent Gpu compute story is not making sense though. Nvidia is dominant to a degree intel is not in the data center.
GCN is pretty good at compute actually. In some things like Milkway it'll curbstomp Nvidia GPU's pretty hard and that wouldn't be possible at all if GCN was terrible at compute. The real issue is the lack of compiler (nothing like CUDA and OpenCL never really caught on much) and developer support for it and has been for years and years.

They have been trying to change that I think, there was some sort of a recompiler/translator brought out a while ago, but its not getting them much support or market share yet.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 21, 2019

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Remember to update your bios. Somehow that unlocked xmp compatibility. Before it failed to boot at speeds a haswell-e proc did in 2015

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....HEDT, eames. Or HPC.

HTPC is another thing entirely.

I promise that I wasn’t 5 hours into a late night Netflix binge when typed this. :colbert:

this is the video by the way

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

GCN is pretty good at compute actually. In some things like Milkway it'll curbstomp Nvidia GPU's pretty hard and that wouldn't be possible at all if GCN was terrible at compute. The real issue is the lack of compiler (nothing like CUDA and OpenCL never really caught on much) and developer support for it and has been for years and years.

They have been trying to change that I think, there was some sort of a recompiler/translator brought out a while ago, but its not getting them much support or market share yet.

A few days ago I saw several warnings on the AMD reddit that Navi returned wrong calculations to folding@home etc and that 2 Navis validating each other by chance could be a serious problem.
Turned out iirc that the opencl compiler thing for Windows hadn't been properly maintained for years, and something finally broke without warning on 5700's :smith:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 21, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah I saw that too.

Compute software support in general is such an obvious and huge problem for AMD GPU's I'm at a loss as to why they haven't been really plowing resources into it. Even a little bit of effort at this point would be welcome.

edit: \/\/\/eeeh they tried a little at first but OpenCL doesn't seem to have the relative ubiquitesness that CUDA does unfortunately. Yeah it was definitely a resource issue back then but now they're making some money so IMO they should be trying more than they are.

I suppose its possible they plan to do something like that with a new GPU design instead of GCN at some point but that is probably still a year away at least.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 21, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yeah I saw that too.

Compute software support in general is such an obvious and huge problem for AMD GPU's I'm at a loss as to why they haven't been really plowing resources into it. Even a little bit of effort at this point would be welcome.
They tried to at first but CUDA had taken off and they couldn't afford to invest the kind of resources Nvidia was.

Most commercial and popular software supports OpenCL+CUDA these days. And most of it runs on linux.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Khorne posted:

They tried to at first but CUDA had taken off and they couldn't afford to invest the kind of resources Nvidia was.

Most commercial and popular software supports OpenCL+CUDA these days. And most of it runs on linux.

That's the big issue though, software support is where nVidia has always excelled. AMD has.....a website that's barely updated. OpenCL is a tirefire compared to cuda anyway.

Part of me thinks that the whole plan with RTG was to sell it off to intel, and when that didn't happen for whatever reason Raja was poached/jumped ship.

Intel, at least, realizes that software support is key to selling hardware and is pushing oneAPI really hard

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

So on my 2600x/MSI B450 Tomahawk I have PBO/XMP on with ~4150MHz and voltage around 1.4V. Is this safe? Should I turn off PBO?

Looking at Ryzen Master the voltage seams to fluctuate between 1.375 and 1.42.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You're definitely shortening it's lifespan at that voltage. 1.33 and under is ideal, 1.38 the absolute limit.

Turn off PBO. PBO is not the same thing as PB/XFR It just feeds more voltage at the chip if the chip isn't feeling hot. Go into your settings and set PBO to [Auto].

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

You're definitely shortening it's lifespan at that voltage. 1.33 and under is ideal, 1.38 the absolute limit.

Turn off PBO. PBO is not the same thing as PB/XFR It just feeds more voltage at the chip if the chip isn't feeling hot. Go into your settings and set PBO to [Auto].

In the BIOS or Ryzen Master? When I open Ryzen Master it has PBO set, even though I never manually enabled it.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
In the bios. You may even have to disable it.

In my case it doesn't make a difference on my 2600x. Voltage is constantly between 1.4 and 1.45, with or without PBO. I do have a beefy cooler, a Scythe Mugen 5.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

pofcorn posted:

In the bios. You may even have to disable it.

In my case it doesn't make a difference on my 2600x. Voltage is constantly between 1.4 and 1.45, with or without PBO. I do have a beefy cooler, a Scythe Mugen 5.

Turned off PBO in the BIOS. Now Ryzen Master reads "Auto." Voltages are still fluctuating between 1.38 and 1.42, mostly hanging around 1.4. If this is how it is at stock, then I guess that's the way AMD intended it?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Depends. If you are getting 1.42V while fully loading all cores rendering video or other demanding tasks that's a bit much. If HWinfo reports 1.42V while mostly idling at the desktop that's expected behavior. When lightly loaded Ryzen will briefly spike voltage to wake up a core, rapidly stabilize it at high boost speed to take care of some task before putting it back to sleep.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Howard Phillips posted:

In the BIOS or Ryzen Master? When I open Ryzen Master it has PBO set, even though I never manually enabled it.

I always forget Ryzen Master is a thing. I always do my OC in BIOS, testing by booting up HWInfo and running the ROG RealBench stresser for a bit at 50% of memory.

The trimmed down BIOS for the Tomahawk isn’t bad, btw. Installed it the other day. Kept all the OC and fan functions, you just lose graphical fan curves and you can only save/load OC profiles to USB. I would actually say the layout is superior in its straightforward approach compared to the GAMING!! firmware that it replaced.

Still no idea why MSI disables AMD-V (accelerated virtualization) by default, though.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 22, 2019

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I always forget Ryzen Master is a thing. I always do my OC in BIOS, testing by booting up HWInfo and running the ROG RealBench stresser for a bit at 50% of memory.

The trimmed down BIOS for the Tomahawk isn’t bad, btw. Installed it the other day. Kept all the OC and fan functions, you just lose graphical fan curves and you can only save/load OC profiles to USB. I would actually say the layout is superior in its straightforward approach compared to the GAMING!! firmware that it replaced.

Still no idea why MSI disables AMD-V (accelerated virtualization) by default, though.

Setting the fan curve by rows of text was a bit jarring but worked like a charm. Noise is much better now that I am setting 50% flat fan level until 55C then ramping up to 100% at 75. Part of me keeps complaining how loud the Wraith Spire is but then again it's still great for a stock cooler.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Noted insane German Der8auer went and delidded a 3960X. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1wyUMZVv4k

In theory it works, but it's gonna need a shim.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 23, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I still think they should just ship the X and TR chips without a IHS and just have a good shim glued on so people could do direct die by default to eke out those few extra degrees C worth of cooling.

Yeah a few idiots will still manage to kill the chip somehow even with a good shim but its OK it'd still be worth it overall.

edit: for the HSF's that use the stock AM4 socket clips to mount yeah they'd have to do something to adjust the height like issue new mounting brackets. For the ones that just go through the mobo to mount you might just need a different screw length from the hardware store and you'd be good to go.

If they actually do it for AM5 by default (they won't, but still) the HSF guys would probably just leave in a different set of screws or retention clip for a IHS-less CPU's and you'd be fine.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 23, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I still think they should just ship the X and TR chips without a IHS and just have a good shim glued on so people could do direct die by default to eke out those few extra degrees C worth of cooling.

Yeah a few idiots will still manage to kill the chip somehow even with a good shim but its OK it'd still be worth it overall.

Shim would be great. Think they'd need a new socket spec tho - it'd need to take into account the reduced height I guess? Otherwise people would slap a standard cooler on it and the tension would be lower.

I really want this so in my experience, it means it won't happen.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 23, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They'll never do that. 95% of people buying Threadrippers are people buying them for productivity tasks. Those people aren't going for OC world records and running a few degrees cooler isn't going to make enough of a difference to be worth the effort. My 3950x never goes over 50 in any of the loads I regularly put on it anyways.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

They should make a model with more x's in it then and market it to people like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Statutory Ape posted:

They should make a model with more x's in it then and market it to people like me

Xxx_X9-3950X_xxX-gamerXtreme delidded edition.