Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Hello, goons of D&D!

Last year, we donated $8,743 to various charities in addition to blood/plasma donations. With CSPAM's help and donation matching, we raised $14,375.71.

Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

We're not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

If there is an already in existence gang tag you want, you can request that as well.

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
https://justdetention.org/hope/
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP.

We will add a list of participants to the second post as time goes on.

:siren: The cutoff for participation will be January 31st, 2020. :siren:

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This post reserved for donation tracking.
----------------------------------------------

Oxnard: $50
bitterandtwisted: $200
Veni Vidi Ameche!: $300
Captain Hygiene: $35
fuzzy_logic: $250
CannonFodder: $1000 each to Matenwa, MSF, RAINN, Lowtax spine fund; $1050 to second harvest food bank of NC

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD (or plasma):
Argona: 1 donation of blood
Condiv: un don de sang
Veni Vidi Ameche!: BLOOD
jimmychoo: BLOOD
kDdidit: blood
Killer-of-Lawyers: Blood

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 4, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Here's a donation and a shout out to Children of the Night, which is an anti child trafficking organization that focuses on fast response via a hotline for children to get out of sexually abusive situations. I know someone with this charity and their resources are getting stretched thanks to ICE pushing immigrants into hiding

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6611

gimme dat 2 puppy avatar, the new gang tag and if you're feeling jolly, a bernie or bust gang tag

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 14, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

gimme dat 2 puppy avatar, the new gang tag and if you're feeling jolly, a bernie or bust gang tag

Which new gang tag, I want nothing?

?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

?

nah just the adorable hearts in OP, i'd like to keep my I want nothing one as well

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hillary has been sending me messages about donating again

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Also upped my monthly donation to homeless charity Shelter to £20/mo because jfc the state of Chud Island right now.

I'll take the pretty kitty av, please :)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hello, goons of D&D!

Last year, we donated $8,743 to various charities in addition to blood/plasma donations. With CSPAM's help and donation matching, we raised $14,375.71.

Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

We're not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

If there is an already in existence gang tag you want, you can request that as well.

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
https://justdetention.org/hope/
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP.

We will add a list of participants to the second post as time goes on.

:siren: The cutoff for participation will be January 31st, 2020. :siren:

i donated to don de sang last month, does that count?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

i donated to don de sang last month, does that count?

if you post any receipts you have it's good enough for me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is it okay to wait until AGDQ at the start of the new year and do a donation through that charity drive and also have it count for this?
I usually donate to GDQ, although it's not much because I don't have much money - but I also really wanna support this goal since I used to give both blood and plasma regularily (and was signed up as organ doner) as I'm O rhesus negative.
Unfortunately I got diagnosed with cancer so because of chemo (cisplatin) I have heavy metals in the veins and organs (which likely has broken down to some form of platinum), so I'm in permanent quarantine.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if you post any receipts you have it's good enough for me

the best I can do is a screenshot of a text message thanking me for my donation. when I donated I wasn't thinking about if this thread would be a thing

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 16, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is it okay to wait until AGDQ at the start of the new year and do a donation through that charity drive and also have it count for this?
I usually donate to GDQ, although it's not much because I don't have much money - but I also really wanna support this goal since I used to give both blood and plasma regularly (and was signed up as organ donor) as I'm O rhesus negative.
Unfortunately I got diagnosed with cancer so because of chemo (cisplatin) I have heavy metals in the veins and organs (which likely has broken down to some form of platinum), so I'm in permanent quarantine.

This is running through Jan 31st so that's fine. Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis.

Condiv posted:

the best I can do is a screenshot of a text message thanking me for my donation. when I donated I wasn't thinking about if this thread would be a thing

yeah that's fine, just say what you'd like or do another donation at the end of january if you want to re-up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

give me the gift of life tag please

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Likewise, i donated before this thread and threw out my paperwork.

I have the email, if that works.

Give me the gift of life tag, please!

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

can i participate even if:
1) never come to D&D
2) been meaning to donate blood for the first time before i saw this post

i need all the motivation i can get though! maybe i can bully other work crew folks into doing it too

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jimmychoo posted:

can i participate even if:
1) never come to D&D
2) been meaning to donate blood for the first time before i saw this post

i need all the motivation i can get though! maybe i can bully other work crew folks into doing it too

we're really not too particular on this; i'll take any honest effort at blood/plasma donation or cash donation. if you get stuck and they go 'oh god you're taking 4 hours why didn't you drink something get the gently caress out of here' and they don't take the donation, that'll count for me

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

alright then world/NE united states, prepare to RECEIVE MY BLOOD

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
$50 to St. Jude

$50 to Doctors Without Borders

$50 to Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services

$50 to Children of the Night, which has a very off-putting name, but also a mission I can get behind

I will be calling tomorrow morning to schedule my next donation to the American Red Cross - Power Red, because I have blood to spare - as it has been just about long enough for me to be eligible, again.

I am torn on the gang tang, because I like it, but I've been here 18 years and never had one, and I hate the idea that I had to buy my way into one. I'll leave it to the discretion of whoever is in charge of this, same as whether or not to give me an adorable holiday avatar.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Howdy folks, the forums saga thread sent me here so this is now an Official Forums SagaTM

Anyway it turns out I won't be eligible to give actual blood for a while, so I made a couple donations including to my local Red Cross's needs; I'd like to request the gangtag to go along with my original plans. Thank you, and thanks to ShriekingMarxist for designing it :)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Scheduled my donation for Christmas Eve - figured it makes a fitting Christmas Gift being O- and, I want to keep my avatar. Will post once done!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Someone who works in my building reached out on Slack this morning looking for help for their family's new puppy.

That fine fellow apparently has several cysts on his brain, and the only hope is surgery.

My GoFundMe history is packed with sick animals and sick people. The only non-disease-related one I can think of off the top of my head is helping that Goon's friend get his camera back so we could get more pictures in the birb thread.

I know this isn't related to Something Awful, but I think it fits with the spirit of this thread. Be assholes online, but be nice to people in real life when you can.

Also, someone gave me two gang tags, and I love them. I'm not sure what the King-Killing Association is, but I am strictly anti-hereditary monarchy, so I am on board.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Can I add a Chuy’s Commandos tag?

Thanks to everybody that has participated. I’ve been consistently donating blood since last Christmas thanks to this fundraiser.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Taking a picture of me hooked up to the apheresis machine turned out to be too much of a hassle, so here's my goon arm at the snack table afterwards. Plasma and double platelets. I usually just do triple platelets, but the center I went to was short on plasma, which saved me the trouble of having to ask the thread if platelets were also OK.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

Can I add a Chuy’s Commandos tag?

do you have the tag file/link on hand as I'm not seeing that listed anywhere

edit: nm found it

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Taking a picture of me hooked up to the apheresis machine turned out to be too much of a hassle, so here's my goon arm at the snack table afterwards. Plasma and double platelets. I usually just do triple platelets, but the center I went to was short on plasma, which saved me the trouble of having to ask the thread if platelets were also OK.

what did you want?

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 19, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

do you have the tag file/link on hand as I'm not seeing that listed anywhere

edit: nm found it

what did you want?

Oh, tag or whatever is fine. Dealer's choice.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I faint at the sight of blood unfortunately. But these people are doing good stuff : https://larkinstreetyouth.org/

can I get the "I want nothing" tag? I was in that thread but there were so many queued up I didn't want to pile on at the time

vvv :neckbeard: vvv

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 22, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That fine fellow apparently has several cysts on his brain, and the only hope is surgery.

This puppy had his brain surgery this morning, and is now recovering.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve got the gang tag already but I’ll switch to corgi avatar this year

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Donation done!

https://i.imgur.com/diCQkeV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

If I could change my avatar to the Corgi please!

Warlocktopus
Aug 19, 2006
Post Post-Modern Man
Hey! Long time lurker, rare poster, hope this is the right way to do this. Basically, my family is trying to save the life of a Honduran doctor.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dr-tono-..._cp+share-sheet

My aunt moved to Honduras about a year back to teach, and as far as I understand this is someone in the community she's been a part of. Basically, he's a young doctor with a kidney problem, he has a donor, but doesn't have the scratch for the procedure yet.

I'm bad at communicating with that part of my family, but I'd like to help them with this. They've been trying to do this via FB and as far as I can tell not having much luck. They have no idea that I'm posting this on a dead gay forum.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/UX2sk6P.jpg

gang tag please

dbabot
Dec 30, 2019

I donated $5 since I don't have a good av that I can think up and these look pretty good.

https://imgur.com/a/ZaYsch9

Please give me the corgi av.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:hfive: apheresis buddy

technically I donated platelets (sometimes also plasma maybe, I dunno about this time, I donate a lot and they just program the machines according to whatever they're short on and they never bother asking me) but it's a heck of a lot more of an effort to donate platelets than blood so I really hope platelets are OK

I mean, 3 hrs (and 2 needles, one for each arm) vs 30 mins (and just one needle), and I'd take the latter if I didn't think that platelets were essential for cancer treatments (among other critical cases)

My picture was actually for the needle that puts blood back into the body, which was easy enough to take by myself (for people unfamiliar with apheresis, there's a good reason why the picture angle is so bad). The needle that takes the blood out is the last to go in and the first to be removed so I'd rather not bother anyone with taking a picture of me for a dead comedy forum with both needles inserted unless it would literally save a life

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

el dorito posted:

:hfive: apheresis buddy

technically I donated platelets (sometimes also plasma maybe, I dunno about this time, I donate a lot and they just program the machines according to whatever they're short on and they never bother asking me) but it's a heck of a lot more of an effort to donate platelets than blood so I really hope platelets are OK

I mean, 3 hrs (and 2 needles, one for each arm) vs 30 mins (and just one needle), and I'd take the latter if I didn't think that platelets were essential for cancer treatments (among other critical cases)

My picture was actually for the needle that puts blood back into the body, which was easy enough to take by myself (for people unfamiliar with apheresis, there's a good reason why the picture angle is so bad). The needle that takes the blood out is the last to go in and the first to be removed so I'd rather not bother anyone with taking a picture of me for a dead comedy forum with both needles inserted unless it would literally save a life

Ouch, that does sound like a pain. I'm lucky, I can do a triple platelet donation in 75 minutes with just a single needle thanks to my high count. Last time I did a unit of plasma and two platelets and it was like 40-50 minutes, which wasn't so bad.

On the downside it does mean the blood bank calls me constantly every two weeks. I'm already due to go back, and forgot they closed early today.

Yeah, though, platelets are supercritical right now in Texas, and they only last like 5 days so it's always a struggle for them to get them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ouch, that does sound like a pain. I'm lucky, I can do a triple platelet donation in 75 minutes with just a single needle thanks to my high count. Last time I did a unit of plasma and two platelets and it was like 40-50 minutes, which wasn't so bad.

On the downside it does mean the blood bank calls me constantly every two weeks. I'm already due to go back, and forgot they closed early today.

Yeah, though, platelets are supercritical right now in Texas, and they only last like 5 days so it's always a struggle for them to get them.

I'm always told that I have a high count and that I always donate triples every 3 weeks or so. The platelet apheresis machines here (Southern California Red Cross... I've been to multiple centers) always use the two needle method as far as I know, and the donation time seems the same for everyone (which is why everyone is asked to watch a movie). I'm kinda curious now... maybe I should donate blood components the next time I'm in Houston!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also the 3 hours is just how much time I budget for this. The needles only stay in for about an hour and a half. The rest of the time is spent in paperwork and setting up the machines, at which time I can phone post as usual

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I was turned away because of low iron. :(

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I did a bunch of donations right before the new year.

I think I did the same as last year ($1000 each to Matenwa, MSF, RAINN, Lowtax spine fund (double aside I made an rear end of myself in GBS making that donation)) and if someone has a link to the old thread I'd appreciate it so I can see if I missed anybody.

I also donated to Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina because they are local and are part of Feeding America. Here's that receipt.

I gave blood last year and I want to give blood in January. Tonight is the last night that I'll be having alcohol so I want to dry out before donating.

Y'all gave me this awesome avatar last year so I'm just going to keep it.

Happy New Year!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
It was time for my quarterly exsanguination anyway

I'm also going to keep my £50/month donations to https://www.airserv.org/ and my local food bank going, but claim them in the name of mod. AirServ is a great charity if you want to have a direct impact - they provide medical evac, transport and logistics to some of the most under served and remote areas. Without the overt christian missionary work that comes along with the MAF.

Gang tag and the puppies, please. Will be weird to finally have an avatar after a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:votegop: