Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really like Boneworks but it does lean on the "solid proof of concept" side whereas Alyx is going to be one hell of an actual game. Still, it's hard to argue that Boneworks proof of concept is a really, really convincing one, motion sickness aside. I really do love how hard it adheres to "gently caress your comfort options, you're on my turf now" and when you learn how to navigate the world the freedom you get is really special. I love being able to vault up stuff and make my own platforms, or brace my gun on top of my arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Stick100 posted:

The steam winter sale has started.

I'd suggest the Croteam Bundle

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5145/CROTEAM_VR_Bundle/

92% off $15.95 for 5 of the best VR games.

Serios Sam VR: The Last Hope
The Talos Principle VR
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE

quoting for new page because everyone, especially quest owners who want to try out wireless streaming or quest link and have a compatible pc, should buy this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally got the hand tracking update.

It’s REALLY janky. My ghost hands are always shaking, I can’t get the “home button” gesture to work, etc.

Is this everyone’s experience more or less? If not, I’m starting to wonder if this, combined with my phantom beatsaber “misses” is telling me there’s something wrong with my Quest.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

quoting for new page because everyone, especially quest owners who want to try out wireless streaming or quest link and have a compatible pc, should buy this

This is my go to recommend on every sale. You cannot beat the price and theres not a single game that isnt at least "Decent".

Worth every drat penny.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Martytoof posted:

It’s REALLY janky. My ghost hands are always shaking, I can’t get the “home button” gesture to work, etc.

Is this everyone’s experience more or less? If not, I’m starting to wonder if this, combined with my phantom beatsaber “misses” is telling me there’s something wrong with my Quest.

I had the same experience with hand tracking. My ghost hands are always sort of twitching and it doesn't reliably catch the gestures. I couldn't do the recenter motion at all, but it is neat in a proof-of-concept sort of way

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I would expect that one cheerleader to throw shade at anything not produced by or funded by Oculus, but hearing other people think bone works will be better than a fully produced valve title is pretty surprising.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's lots of definitions of "better". The Valve game will be better produced for sure and definitely more comfortable, but also probably a lot less ambitious in terms of interactions, because they're (rightfully) hesitant to make people sick. There's a lot of poo poo you can get up to in boneworks that will never be in a Valve game though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Martytoof posted:

It is quite janky, however if it was enabled in Skybox or Prime VR I would use the janky hand tracking over controllers.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

It is quite janky, however if it was enabled in Skybox or Prime VR I would use the janky hand tracking over controllers.

Songbearer posted:

I really like Boneworks but it does lean on the "solid proof of concept" side whereas Alyx is going to be one hell of an actual game. Still, it's hard to argue that Boneworks proof of concept is a really, really convincing one, motion sickness aside. I really do love how hard it adheres to "gently caress your comfort options, you're on my turf now" and when you learn how to navigate the world the freedom you get is really special. I love being able to vault up stuff and make my own platforms, or brace my gun on top of my arm.

Danith posted:

I had the same experience with hand tracking. My ghost hands are always sort of twitching and it doesn't reliably catch the gestures. I couldn't do the recenter motion at all, but it is neat in a proof-of-concept sort of way

Is this gonna be another goon thing like the *______________* IPD issue? Like does a certain subset of goons have ninja turtle hands or something? All joking aside, the hand tracking was pretty spot on for me with very little shaking. It was a frame or two behind my actual movements but accurate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

Is this gonna be another goon thing like the *______________* IPD issue? Like does a certain subset of goons have ninja turtle hands or something? All joking aside, the hand tracking was pretty spot on for me with very little shaking. It was a frame or two behind my actual movements but accurate.

The hand tracking blinks out and stops recognizing your hands for a bit if you make fast gestures just to gently caress with it, which is all the fun of hand tracking. If actually using it to control menus, it's fine but not even close to as accurate as a controller or remote or other physical object.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hands are a little janky for me but not straight up terrible. I went in very much expecting a work-in-progress so I'm not disappointed at what they have so far.

What wasn't great was just trying to use the UI that's currently designed for very accurate pointers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

There's lots of definitions of "better". The Valve game will be better produced for sure and definitely more comfortable, but also probably a lot less ambitious in terms of interactions, because they're (rightfully) hesitant to make people sick. There's a lot of poo poo you can get up to in boneworks that will never be in a Valve game though

The pop up weapon ui instead of holsters is just Bad

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If I were to get one of them, should I get Asgard's Wrath or Stormland? I'm playing over Link if that makes a difference.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The hand tracking blinks out and stops recognizing your hands for a bit if you make fast gestures just to gently caress with it, which is all the fun of hand tracking. If actually using it to control menus, it's fine but not even close to as accurate as a controller or remote or other physical object.

Okay, I admit it, they scanned my hands in as the default model. And I'M the one with ninja turtle hands. TWIST

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

The pop up weapon ui instead of holsters is just Bad

Yeah I don't honestly understand the belt hate. They work fine for me in pretty much everything? I mean the only complaint I have with boneworks is it like, goes "somewhere" when you crouch and I can never find it. But to be fair thats IK related and yeah. no other game gives me that issue.

Onward, Etc, All feel fine to blind grab things from it.

IMO just steal Stand Outs inventory system and use it on everything.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Martytoof posted:

This sounds about right; I'd describe the functionality as slightly sub-Kinect right now. It does work and if you don't have a controller handy it's a viable option for controlling simple menus, but there's no way you would want to play a game with it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pylons posted:

If I were to get one of them, should I get Asgard's Wrath or Stormland? I'm playing over Link if that makes a difference.

It depends on what you're looking for. Asgard's Wrath is exactly as ambitious as it looks, it's trying to be a traditional Skyrim-esque action RPG (although it's much more linear) but in VR. The VR interactions themselves are extremely serviceable, but not exciting. A ton of regular menus (press start to open the menu, tab over to the inventory, tab to your list of quests, etc). You walk up to someone, a big "Press A to talk" thing appears above their head. ~40 hours or something in that ballpark of content. Good art.

Stormland is much shorter, 4-6 hours depending on how thorough you wanna be for the first run through, which unlocks what they call the cycling world, which is the same biomes shuffled around a bit every week, which every time you clear it, it gets harder. The first run through is essentially an extended tutorial, where it shows you the different mechanics and mission types that you'll be doing in the cycling world. The amount of new content is relatively light, the focus is on the gameplay. The gameplay is fantastic and pretty ambitious. You can climb anything, you can glide, you can dual wield weapons, two hand the weapons (they all change a bit depending on whether you're holding it in one or two hands), or use one weapon and climb/use a shield/use abilities with your offhand. You move from place to place by flying across the clouds, and you get an ability to jump that lets you rocket off at high speeds and fly above everything. The only downside is that the enemies are pretty easy to kill, it only starts getting challenging at all after a few escalations (what they call it when you beat the cycling world and it resets), and even then as long as you don't just jump inside the middle of a ton of dudes you'll probably be fine. All told I beat it including the escalations and I got about 20-30 hours out of it, including doing co-op with some of my friends (you can play everything with another person after you unlock the multiplayer module, which only takes like 45 minutes to an hour).

Asgard's Wrath has more stuff to do, but it's very clearly a case of "how do we put this type of flatscreen game into VR" whereas Stormland is much more ambitious in terms of trying to create new gameplay that can only be done in VR and honestly it's loving sick gently caress asgard's wrath it sucks get stormland

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Does Boneworks still have the long sections between saves or did they patch that?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I don't honestly understand the belt hate. They work fine for me in pretty much everything? I mean the only complaint I have with boneworks is it like, goes "somewhere" when you crouch and I can never find it. But to be fair thats IK related and yeah. no other game gives me that issue.

Did you play Boneworks standing up? I played through sitting down, and the holster mechanics were really finicky and garbage to use, so I switched to exclusively using the menu. The menu loadout had its own set of issues (like getting obscured by the environment or having funky snapping), but it was workable.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wyoak posted:

Does Boneworks still have the long sections between saves or did they patch that?

I think a patch is supposed to be coming in January. I'm waiting until then to pick it up, because I really don't like the idea of losing 90 minutes of progress because the level is 2 hours and I ran out of time.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wyoak posted:

To my recollection they said they are hoping to add check pointing sometime early next year.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

punished milkman posted:

Did you play Boneworks standing up? I played through sitting down, and the holster mechanics were really finicky and garbage to use, so I switched to exclusively using the menu. The menu loadout had its own set of issues (like getting obscured by the environment or having funky snapping), but it was workable.

I play everything standing up (That isnt tetris or some driving game anyways).

Minor crouching was fine. But like actual low poo poo to get under things, nah, I would fight with reloads like crazy. Reloads were the biggest issue for me actually. While crouching anyways.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Soundboxing is only 9.20 canadian so it's probably 7.99 USD - Really good pickup if you're looking for another music/exercise game. Some beatmaps are great, others not so great, but for my money it's the best workout in VR. BoxVR/Thrill of the Fight is close but neither come close to the range of movement you need to do along with strong punching in SB.

I've uh, gotten my money's worth

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 19, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stick100 posted:

Quote is not edit.

This is the world of VR my friend, Quote can be anything you want it to be~

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I'm really not understanding why they went with a menu like that. I can't even think of the last VR game to use a menu for all your guns instead of slots on your body. Even games where you can pick up a lot of weapons, like From Other Suns, you still have 2 slots on your belt for guns, while the rest are in an inventory.

The only thing that comes to mind like that is fallout 4 VR, and thats a terrible port of a flatscreen game. I really hope it just wasn't shown off and you can put weapons around your body for quick access in the final game.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Hand tracking report: both my wife and I had no flickering issues, but you can see the system is very alpha-beta. The fact that you pinch and drag to drag...or pinch to click is probably part of the reason you get phantom clicks or drags when you don't intent to. Also the tracking is totally lost if you move your hands too fast (like, let's say, throwing a punch).

Anyway they have been really open about this being mostly a "use users devices to capture hand motion data to improve their neural network", but you can definitely see the potential of the system once it'll be feature complete.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
My wife has gotten me and index for Christmas. What should my first game be? For me and her? I have dirt rally, project cars and thumper. is h3vr a good purchase?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I'm really not understanding why they went with a menu like that. I can't even think of the last VR game to use a menu for all your guns instead of slots on your body. Even games where you can pick up a lot of weapons, like From Other Suns, you still have 2 slots on your belt for guns, while the rest are in an inventory.

The only thing that comes to mind like that is fallout 4 VR, and thats a terrible port of a flatscreen game. I really hope it just wasn't shown off and you can put weapons around your body for quick access in the final game.

What's even weirder is that you grab clips from an invisible holster behind your head, so maybe the weapon menu is temporary?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Also the tracking is totally lost if you move your hands too fast (like, let's say, throwing a punch).

But this is actually awesome, because you can open your hands, and then quickly make a fist and punch then pull back and open your hand and it looks like you're shooting ghost punches out.

i must compose posted:

My wife has gotten me and index for Christmas. What should my first game be? For me and her? I have dirt rally, project cars and thumper. is h3vr a good purchase?

H3VR is the best shooter game, both because it has the best simulation mechanics and gameplay feel, and also because Take and Hold and Rotweiners are both individually the two best single player VR FPS games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

What's even weirder is that you grab clips from an invisible holster behind your head, so maybe the weapon menu is temporary?

Haha for real? Jesus. The game is supposed to come out in 3 months, this is a bad time for lots of core mechanics to be temporary

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EbolaIvory posted:

Lmao @ "belt hate" because they have a UI.

This is such a crazy overreaction.

Its entirely possible they could have HUD and holsters :o

Its not even out yet, don't jump the gun

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I don't know, maybe I'm just valvetime shy but the feeling I've been getting from the news articles and that tested video is that they are still right in the middle of development.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright well got myself a wireless antloin, a usb c to usb a cable and a USB extension cable. Merry Christmas to me and my credit card statements.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao @ "belt hate" because they have a UI.

This is such a crazy overreaction.

Its entirely possible they could have HUD and holsters :o

Its not even out yet, don't jump the gun

I’m over reacting? Lol. Bruh did you even read my post or just shotgun reflex at me?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

i must compose posted:

You'll want some games that actually take advantage of the index controllers, as not all do and some don't even work at all. The first thing you try should probably be The Lab, Apperature Hand Lab, and this free tech demo for the Index controllers (also made by Valve but it's unlisted on Steam so you can only download it from this link). These each have some of the best Index controller support I've seen.

H3VR supports them but I haven't played it. Climbey, The Talos Principle, Boneworks, Garden of the Sea, and Jet Island all have good index controller support. Both you and your wife would probably like Climbey, Talos Principle, and Garden of the Sea. You'll want some VR experience before playing Boneworks, and Jet Island can be a little rough because you're sliding/flying around super fast on a hover board and swinging from things with grappling hooks but I'd absolutely recommend both of them if they're your sort of thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EbolaIvory posted:

I’m over reacting? Lol. Bruh did you even read my post or just shotgun reflex at me?

I literally quoted you where you said "belt hate" how on earth would that mean I didn't read your post?

There's nothing else in your post that mediates that stance. So what exactly do you think I need to read which is going to magically explain your stance? I'll wait.

Bruh did you even read my post or just shotgun defense yourself?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

i must compose posted:

There are a few game opinion dumps on the first page. Here's mine: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post499049637

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

I literally quoted you where you said "belt hate" how on earth would that mean I didn't read your post?

There's nothing else in your post that mediates that stance. So what exactly do you think I need to read which is going to magically explain your stance? I'll wait.

Bruh did you even read my post or just shotgun defense yourself?

Yeah you're focusing on the word hate to try and start some bullshit again. DO I really need to use a softer word like "dislike" or something? Are you kidding?

Would you get off my dick? I mean, I know im cute but come the gently caress on.

Tom Guycot posted:

Heres to hoping really. I have faith valve wont make things weird. They tend to do whatever they dive into pretty well so we'll see.

I mean even in boneworks I use the menu but its mostly "ok my inventory is full, i need to shuffle things" kinda stuff. Or ill forget whats all where. But using it as primary ehhh not sure that'd be great.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 20, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah you're focusing on the word hate to try and start some bullshit again. DO I really need to use a softer word like "dislike" or something? Are you kidding?

Would you get off my dick? I mean, I know im cute but come the gently caress on.

Its not your word choice, holy poo poo would you respond like a human being? How are you this insanely defensive about an opinion you shared??

The point here is assuming Valve is anti-belt just because they have a UI is dumb and jumping to conclusions since the game isn't done yet, AS I EXPLAINED if you would read my post :ironicat: but instead you had to go all "you didn't read it" but I clearly did.

Dude, the word is not the issue. How do you not get that? Calling it "belt dislike" is the same.

Valve does not dislike belts, you weirdo. You're making that up and its weird, and now you're struggling to even understand that was an assumption because you're so convinced already. That is weird.

Get off my dick, you rear end in a top hat. Learn to talk like a normal loving human.

If you want to talk in good faith, you could have asked "is the word 'hate' the problem?" but once again, you're jumping to conclusions and making a wild assumption without stopping to check first. Don't get mad at me because you can't understand context.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/LIV/status/1207797911519547392?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not your word choice, holy poo poo would you respond like a human being? How are you this insanely defensive about an opinion you shared??

The point here is assuming Valve is anti-belt just because they have a UI is dumb and jumping to conclusions since the game isn't done yet, AS I EXPLAINED if you would read my post :ironicat: but instead you had to go all "you didn't read it" but I clearly did.

Dude, the word is not the issue. How do you not get that? Calling it "belt dislike" is the same.

Valve does not dislike belts, you weirdo. You're making that up and its weird, and now you're struggling to even understand that was an assumption because you're so convinced already. That is weird.

Get off my dick, you rear end in a top hat. Learn to talk like a normal loving human.

EDIT: Know what. you're not worth my time on this.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 20, 2019