Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

General Dog posted:

Their TLJ content certainly isn't their best work, but the "mansplaining" thing is basically exactly the spin a lot of TLJ's most ardent supporters have used to explain that subplot, so it's not exactly a non-sequitur.

Yeah I've gathered that people who love and hate the movie are convinced it's a pro-feminist tract, which is weird because like... all the female characters' main function in the plot seems to be to cause character development in the men... doesn't it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Yeah I've gathered that people who love and hate the movie are convinced it's a pro-feminist tract, which is weird because like... all the female characters' main function in the plot seems to be to cause character development in the men... doesn't it?!

(It's because Rian Johnson is nowhere near the writer he thinks he is)

He's somewhat better than JJ though. That's a compliment I guess

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Comstar posted:

Furthermore,

When Chewie gets killed and Rey has a crises over it, I gave JJ props for doing that. I respected that and thought it would add a lot.

Then we find out he was in another castle ship. Damm it JJ.

I feel like they couldnt do this because EVERYONE would hate Rey as a character after that, more than they do now, like zero redemption with the fans if she killed off a beloved character.

Though I was fooled for a minute and thought it was bold until i realised naw they cant do this.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 19, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I suspect that TROS will be much like Last Jedi in that after a couple days people will think back on it and go, “wait, what the gently caress?”.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit: edit is not quote

Horrible Taste posted:

Wait if R2 restored C-3PO's memories, does that mean 3PO remembers he's Luke and Leia's brother now? IS C-3PO the true surviving member of the Skywalker family?

So R2 could have restored C-3PO's memory AT ANY TIME, and choose not too. What a great friend!

There's a line later when he mentions they need go on a mission for someone and R2 says they already did that. What mission was that? Was it Captain Antilles?

Furthermore, both before and after regaining all his memories, he still has the same personality.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
So I've just come back from the cinema.

Wow...that was...um.

That was really something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

We start getting US impressions around 9pm, right?

First showings are 6:30ish so yeah.

Edit: most. I was thinking about going but pulled a "nahhh"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Horrible Taste posted:

Wait if R2 restored C-3PO's memories, does that mean 3PO remembers he's Luke and Leia's brother now? IS C-3PO the true surviving member of the Skywalker family?

The entire film could have been saved if C3P0 had to die so he could send his translation abilities out to the whole galaxy instead of dumb poo poo about a pointless dagger. Then the fleet showing up would make sense, it was because the different species could suddenly communicate with each other and have solidarity. As it was nothing made sense and it sucked.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Dammit, every scene I think of has a problem with it.

How did Kylo get off Endor Moon II back to Exomore? He watches Rey take his....2nd ship (because she already blew up his first one.....what was he trying to do then anyway? He didn't shoot, and he didn't seem to be trying to run her over either) and has no comm link, no ship and no one else in orbit. He then gets back to Exomore by himself.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 20, 2019

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Comstar posted:

How did Kylo get off Endor Moon II back to Exomore? He watches Rey take his....2nd ship (because she already blew up his first one.....what was he trying to do then anyway? He didn't shoot, and he didn't seem to be trying to run her over either) and has no comm link, no ship and no one else in orbit. He then gets back to Exomore by himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E6IfdUJn6s

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Comstar posted:

He landed in an Empire-era TIE fighter, they even did a glamour shot of it sitting next to the X-Wing Rey used, he presumably found a working TIE in the wierdly intact Death Star wreckage. That's a fake complaint.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What's a good time to pee during this? Don't want to miss anything hilarious and this large drink is ridiculous

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vitamin P posted:

He landed in an Empire-era TIE fighter, they even did a glamour shot of it sitting next to the X-Wing Rey used, he presumably found a working TIE in the wierdly intact Death Star wreckage. That's a fake complaint.

Complaint withdrawn! There was a shot of a TIE fighter in the death star which stood out to me, so fair point.

Wait, no! Empire-era TIE fighter do not have hyperdrives!! Check mate. Furthermore, that makes it worse. JJ keeps trying to fix plot holes he makes and then makes it worse every time!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 20, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

What's a good time to pee during this? Don't want to miss anything hilarious and this large drink is ridiculous

When they see the death star on the water planet/ meet the black lady with the bow though that's some way (over half) in, that's when i went.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Comstar posted:

Complaint withdrawn! There was a shot of a TIE fighter in the weirdly intact death star which stood out to me, so fair point.

I think that Tie was wrecked, like i swear it looked broken, maybe he fixed it.

But also I just assumed he had a comm and just radioed his ship and said yo pick me up.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Comstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WzSdfKS1w4

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Just a scene of Kylo flying through space like this to Exomore while Brodyquest plays.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine death star tech, but man portable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaocaholica posted:

i wouldn't consider an aircraft carrier rail gun "manportable"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shaocaholica posted:

I, too, am excited for Doom Eternal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hobo Clown posted:

isn't there a site for this? kinda like the "is there post credits scenes"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alan Smithee posted:

i wouldn't consider an aircraft carrier rail gun "manportable"

Well they seem to be able to shrink the tech with every movie I'm just following the natural progressi......oh wait this timeline is dead.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/EstherOnFilm/status/1207323939535499265

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

(It's because Rian Johnson is nowhere near the writer he thinks he is)

He's somewhat better than JJ though. That's a compliment I guess

Knives Out is one of the best-written movies of the year tho?? :confused:

Like whatever TLJ problems I don’t think Rian Johnson was the main reason.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Comstar posted:

Wait, no! Empire-era TIE fighter do not have hyperdrives!! Check mate.

I've been owned, those TIEs did indeed not have hyperdrives. JJ I hate you.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Rian Johnson would disagree. He seems to want to own it because he doesn't see anything wrong.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Alan Smithee posted:

isn't there a site for this? kinda like the "is there post credits scenes"

There's an app I think but last I checked it cost money to use because the people updating it need you to pay for their movie tickets

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
TLJ is basically someone coming in and going "man, all these Star Wars prequels/sequels are pretty stupid, amirite?" and shining a light on all the dumb stuff and basically just throwing a wrench into the whole Star Wars franchise machine while eventually going "this is how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb."

That doesn't make it a good movie itself, and particularly frustrating if you were still holding out hope there was still potential in the sequel trilogy, but it's really amusing in that context.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So Sheeve managed to zap himself with his own lighting three times, once in each trilogy. I feel like there's a lesson to be learnt there.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Comstar posted:

So Sheeve managed to zap himself with his own lighting three times, once in each trilogy. I feel like there's a lesson to be learnt there.

That lesson is: if I only zapped harder, I could have broken through their reflection!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Haven't seen Knives Out but people have already pointed similar flaws between Looper and TLJ.

I suspect Johnson's schtick is very love-it-or-hate-it when it comes to science-fiction/fantasy while a murder mystery is something more compatible with his general approach toward genre movies.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I mean I enjoyed looper and I think TLJ is the best of all the “new” star wars movies (haven’t seen TRoS) so idk my opinion is probably wrong by this threads standards.

Go see Knives Out tho. Its great.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It really isn't.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gantolandon posted:

It really isn't.

97/92 on RT is really not helping your case here.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Not if Cats has anything to say about that

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Comstar posted:

Even Dooku knew to stop when Yoda deflected his Force lightning.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

porfiria posted:

Yeah JJ was clearly not interested in material or political realities in TFA and it sounds like he’s even less so here. This is kind of a problem because Star Wars I-VI were quite interested in history and politics. Those concerns have been replaced with, uh, nothing.

This is my biggest problem with the ST.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
How was the OT interested in politics/history?

The PT, sure. But JJ rightly wanted to ignore those as much as he could.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

97/92 on RT is really not helping your case here.

Whose case is it helping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

YaketySass posted:

Haven't seen Knives Out but people have already pointed similar flaws between Looper and TLJ.

I suspect Johnson's schtick is very love-it-or-hate-it when it comes to science-fiction/fantasy while a murder mystery is something more compatible with his general approach toward genre movies.

Well he aimed to be divisive and gods help him he succeeded. :v: (I'm on the love-it side)