Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Lol I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that. "I like that the fish sandwich is so greasy it makes the wall turn see-thru when Bart rubs it. That's so much grease!"

tbf I doubt I could do any better and sometimes there's nothing to say but "that was a good gag and I liked it." I get the feeling Henry wants every podcast to be exhaustive in cataloging the episode, so even if he's got nothing to add about a joke, he wants to acknowledge it.

Also, this was 100% of the bafflingly successful Everything's Coming Up Simpsons. They'd get good guests and then be like "Hey Weird Al, you remember that time Homer ran around on the floor like Curly? That was funny." It was like that Chris Farley sketch.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bad episodes are sometimes the best Pod. There are absolutely dire episodes of TNG in every season but Greatest Generation makes it work.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

twistedmentat posted:

Bad episodes are sometimes the best Pod. There are absolutely dire episodes of TNG in every season but Greatest Generation makes it work.

For better or worse, there will be many more references to things in pop culture that had 0 staying power and no one is nostalgic for. I'm looking forward to confused discussion of those things.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

That's true. That show's good, but it's never been better than Season 1 TNG when most of the episodes are huge turds.

I'm looking forward to them getting to Voyager

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PostNouveau posted:

That's true. That show's good, but it's never been better than Season 1 TNG when most of the episodes are huge turds.

I'm looking forward to them getting to Voyager

Yea I gotta get back on binging it. I'm still only in season 3 of Ds9.

In the Christmas Episode, one of the guests mentions a book make out of it, and that was the first time I encountered the SImpsons. It was in a pile of Xmas books at Eatons to show how long ago that was, and I was "what is this? I've never seen anything like this".

In They Save Lisa's Brain they talk about the episode where Patty is going to marry a woman, but it turns out to be a man. It's gross, but the guy is trying to marry Patty by pretending to be a woman, and is not a Transwoman. When she finds out, Patty says "What? No! I like Girls!". So its not as bad as their memories have it.

Man, why do I remember this stuff rather than something useful? I swear "gifted" means you either became a some right wing chud commentator like Ben Shapiro or CHarlie Kirk, or you just know too much pop culture stuff. I noticed both groups tend to have been called Gifted when in school, but the right wing ones think it means something, while the pop culture know it alls tend to realize that it was a meaningless label that just meant you got more homework.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 27, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Talking Simpsons network will now produce 30% less content and I'm not even mad! Bob and Henry work hard and put on a quality show.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Talking Simpsons network will now produce 30% less content and I'm not even mad! Bob and Henry work hard and put on a quality show.

I think the quality of the commentary has gone down a bit lately probably as a result of recording too frequently. So I look forward for the change to be positive.

Just too many instances of repeating the joke.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's actually more like 20% less content, and that'll be an even smaller percentage when we have our spring and fall miniseries. Everyone has been happy with the new plan and we're really excited about 2020!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You guys put a shitton of work into your podcasts and I support cutting down a little so you don't die in the process.

Also, to be frank, I have twelve weekly podcasts in my feed so I need some of these folks to slow down or I'll never catch up.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I still love and listen to basically every episode but I will say, I wish Henry would get over the whole thing of not actually naming terrible people in these podcasts. In the Iron Giant one he didn't want to bring up Harry Knowles by name and it's like, you don't have to catalog and lay out what he did since it's not especially relevant to the episode but you also don't have to treat him like some Voldemort figure who gets stronger if you say his name out loud.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Thompsons posted:

I still love and listen to basically every episode but I will say, I wish Henry would get over the whole thing of not actually naming terrible people in these podcasts. In the Iron Giant one he didn't want to bring up Harry Knowles by name and it's like, you don't have to catalog and lay out what he did since it's not especially relevant to the episode but you also don't have to treat him like some Voldemort figure who gets stronger if you say his name out loud.

I haven't listened yet but man I think I managed to forget he existed somehow until now. Man.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm glad you guys covered Mushishi, I stumbled across it randomly years ago when I would torrent stuff and I really loved it. This was only the first 13 episodes too, I knew they had a second season out since I saw it while browsing Hulu so I'm glad to hear it's good and I'll get around to watching it soon.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Most important question: why doesn't Henry have an account

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

brugroffil posted:

Most important question: why doesn't Henry have an account

He posted in this thread once

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm glad you guys covered Mushishi, I stumbled across it randomly years ago when I would torrent stuff and I really loved it. This was only the first 13 episodes too, I knew they had a second season out since I saw it while browsing Hulu so I'm glad to hear it's good and I'll get around to watching it soon.

I read the first volume of the manga that came from a humble bundle and really couldn't get into it. Is the show better? (again haven't listened yet, too much content Bob)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think it's a very low key show that follows a monster of the week format but has some overarching questions and answers. As I said, I've only seen the first 13 episodes and I thought they tell a good story. If you like ghost stories you'd probably find something worthwhile there. I need to rewatch it and watch the rest of the show but it's stuck with me since I first watched it probably 7-8 years ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This episode is just increasing my desire to go to Japan just for the food.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

bobservo posted:

It's actually more like 20% less content, and that'll be an even smaller percentage when we have our spring and fall miniseries. Everyone has been happy with the new plan and we're really excited about 2020!

You folks have to be some of the hardest working podcasters going. Totally support this move.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Tangentially related, but figured y'all would like to see https://twitter.com/theharryshearer/status/1213327182447071232?s=20

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Loving this accidentally raw Retronauts, Bob. It's a good template for how a "successful" podcast might sound before editing. It flows much more naturally than the amplitude-clipping-youtube-cut-party of polished files, which matters for parasocial fandom

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I edit podcasts so I sound 300% sharper and funnier than I actually am. If there's time I extend the same courtesy to our guests.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

bobservo posted:

I edit podcasts so I sound 300% sharper and funnier than I actually am. If there's time I extend the same courtesy to our guests.

Comedy added electronically by channel 6

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

bobservo posted:

Thanks for doing that, I love the density of produced episodes as their own thing (and didn't think about how you're helping the guests too). I meant that for a specific type of fan (maybe posting here) a less-edited track has appeal of its own, maybe a whole Patreon tier. Your produced voice has gone up in enthusiasm and confidence over the years and that's great for a standalone product. But those little moments of moving the mike, asking Nina and Jeremy questions, and speaking in a conversational voice all appeal to fans chasing that parasocial podcaster-as-friend feeling.

After typing this, I see why you might not want those weirdos. Don't worry, I promise to not find your house and put you in a Misery scenario

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 7, 2020

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Don't worry, I promise to not find your house and put you in a Misery scenario

*Buy my Podcast Buy my Podcast Buy my Podcast *

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I'm on the Patreon feed but I'd honestly be interested in hearing that, as a curiosity

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I listened for five minutes as a novelty and then deleted and redownload.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

While doing notes and research for season one I made a nice Twitter thread about Homer's Odyssey, and I should be doing that for more S1 episodes in the future: https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214683109142085632

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bobservo posted:

While doing notes and research for season one I made a nice Twitter thread about Homer's Odyssey, and I should be doing that for more S1 episodes in the future: https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214683109142085632

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214701794779000832

All of these are fantastic catches, but Dear God

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214701794779000832

All of these are fantastic catches, but Dear God

Eh, Philippe! Thees Bart ees no so bad, oui?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm still hoping they have Chris Antista on one of these season 1 redo episodes and they treat him like he's a first time guest make him go through his history with the show all that stuff and just play it totally straight.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

He cant even get his own shows out on time. Last i looked 302010 was like a month behind schedule

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Kly posted:

He cant even get his own shows out on time. Last i looked 302010 was like a month behind schedule
There were some feed issues, but I dont remember the solution. They are coming out every week and are up to date.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My favorite podcast moment of 2020 so far is hearing Bob say "vondruke".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm enjoying this first episode of the remake of season 1. Martin really is a little poo poo in this episode.

And thinking about it more, I wonder if Pryor is meant to be one of those cartoon child therapists that would show up and claim that your bad behaving shithead kid was actually a genius and you needed to let them do whataver they wanted or something. I remember that character in a lot of stuff in the late 80s.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 12, 2020

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

loved your latest BMtAS episode, takes me back to 2013 somehow

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bob keeps talking about how no one has season 1 on DVD, but I submit that yes, I have all of the seasons, including 1

Though I don't have 20 because they didn't put commentary on them. Like what the gently caress guys? That's the only real reason to buy them.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Lord I hate the head-shaped cases

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

twistedmentat posted:

Bob keeps talking about how no one has season 1 on DVD, but I submit that yes, I have all of the seasons, including 1

Though I don't have 20 because they didn't put commentary on them. Like what the gently caress guys? That's the only real reason to buy them.

Wow, that shelf ends in a real wet fart, thanks Otomo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

END ME SCOOB posted:

Wow, that shelf ends in a real wet fart, thanks Otomo.

I think I paid 5bux for it? But yea, you go Look Around you then that boring mess, but then arguably Wes Andersons best movie! You can't see the Escaflowne collection at the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

zari-gani posted:

Lord I hate the head-shaped cases

I remember they had an offer to replace that Season 6 Homer head with a regular box, but it was a pain in the rear end (There was a website devoted to it but you couldn't actually order it there, you had to download a form, which had to be printed and filled out by hand, and you also had to include a personal check to cover shipping and include the UPC code from the little flap of paper that was originally stuck to the back of the case.) Also the language of the press release and the website made fun of you, the customer, for being a whiny baby who was wildly upset about your cartoons not being in the right box.

(I never got my replacement box, because it was 2007 and I was too darn lazy and irresponsible to bother.)