Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m back to tweets now always opening in Safari instead of Twitter. Tried twiddling all the related prefs, restarting, etc.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Is it possible to set a different link color in OLED dark? The dark blue on black is really hard to read.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kefkafloyd posted:

Is it possible to set a different link color in OLED dark? The dark blue on black is really hard to read.

I wonder how feasible it would be to let users set an accent color in code. Hard part would be the CSS (which controls those unfortunately)...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I like OLED dark and it’s battery saving power, but I see where you’re coming from on the CSS conundrum. Both the “quoted OP” text and the link need more contrast against black. In the meantime I’ve switched back to regular dark which I used on my LCD phone and liked a lot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

The app crashes every time I go into portrait mode, so whenever I tilt my phone a little too much it crashes.

I’m on a 8 plus with the latest update.

E- nm I reinstalled and it’s ok :downs:

E2- nope it’s back. Turn the phone and the app crashes

abbazabba posted:

Same here, on iPhone 6s with the latest iOS 13.

Is this only happening on older phones? I kind of expected the thread to be filled with people reporting this happening. Sucks how often I get crashes now

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have an XS Max and when I do use the app it’s usually in portrait mode to begin with. I’ve just tilted/rotated into landscape and back in both directions. No crashes here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
weirdly positive thing! A number of goons have noted in the travel thread in GBS that the awful app works pretty well on Norwegians free WiFi - not so much Delta (it worked for me in Jan of this year, guess not so much now). I’d still avoid image heavy threads and twitter links doesn’t show, but sometimes when I reload my favorited it’ll speed up loading a page on safari as well.

Currently shitposting over the Atlantic!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ll let you know about Delta tomorrow afternoon. I’m 90% sure it doesn’t though, but I may as well double check. iirc, it’s locked down for instant messaging so they may just have the ports for iMessage and whatever android uses open.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think links in posts would be fine with just the underline and no colour switch to blue. Links in quotes already appear this way and it works.

The OP text could maybe be made bold although there’s nowhere else that’s done I don’t think. It could also be white w underline?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowy posted:

Is this only happening on older phones? I kind of expected the thread to be filled with people reporting this happening. Sucks how often I get crashes now

I have the new *scries runes* iPhone 11 Pro Max and it has this issue but not every time. It seems like it’s more likely when it quickly switches to landscape and back.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Just finally downloaded this to try it out and for some reason it’s refusing to accept my username and password, despite them being accurate. On a brand new iPhone 11 if that’s significant.

Any one able to suggest a way to make it work?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Could we get a double OLED dark mode? I just want a blank rear end screen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Camrath posted:

Just finally downloaded this to try it out and for some reason it’s refusing to accept my username and password, despite them being accurate. On a brand new iPhone 11 if that’s significant.

Double check that autocorrect isn’t smashing your password, I don’t remember if that’s a problem in this app or not.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I still can't open literally anything on my XR, after a month or two and multiple iOS updates. I can log in fine, then clicking anything freezes up the app completely. If I open it back up after waiting a few minutes it either gives me a network error or it loads whatever forum or topic I was clicking on. Works fine on my iPad. Can't figure it out.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
No idea if this is on purpose but I get these from time to time. iPhone 6 latest iOS 12 version

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

No idea if this is on purpose but I get these from time to time. iPhone 6 latest iOS 12 version

Yes, that’s someone abusing Unicode. Look up “Zalgo” on google, or go here:

http://eeemo.net

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Midjack posted:

Yes, that’s someone abusing Unicode. Look up “Zalgo” on google, or go here:

http://eeemo.net

Well I’ll be damned. Thanks

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Midjack posted:

Double check that autocorrect isn’t smashing your password, I don’t remember if that’s a problem in this app or not.

It’s not as far as I can tell- tried typing, using the saved password and copy/pasting. No dice.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Couch Life posted:

I still can't open literally anything on my XR, after a month or two and multiple iOS updates. I can log in fine, then clicking anything freezes up the app completely. If I open it back up after waiting a few minutes it either gives me a network error or it loads whatever forum or topic I was clicking on. Works fine on my iPad. Can't figure it out.
Same thing for me, newest iOS update and 11 Pro.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to let users set an accent color in code. Hard part would be the CSS (which controls those unfortunately)...

Could we do the same rule-twiddling thing we do for making text size work? That’s CSS values driven from code as one data point.

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think links in posts would be fine with just the underline and no colour switch to blue. Links in quotes already appear this way and it works.

Not being able to tell underline from link is more annoying in the abstract than in practice, though it has come up in reading some megathread OPs (which, along with the F&F thread in TG, is about the only place I ever see people using [u]). Dotted underline in both?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

teen witch posted:

weirdly positive thing! A number of goons have noted in the travel thread in GBS that the awful app works pretty well on Norwegians free WiFi - not so much Delta (it worked for me in Jan of this year, guess not so much now). I’d still avoid image heavy threads and twitter links doesn’t show, but sometimes when I reload my favorited it’ll speed up loading a page on safari as well.

I imagine they have some kind of local cache onboard the plane to reduce bandwidth used, that's probably why it speeds up Safari as well. Awful is literally making requests to the forums as a browser and then either scraping or just transforming what it gets back into mobile-friendly viewing with CSS. Interesting that Delta didn't used to block but now does, that means they might have been letting Safari traffic through to the forums as well...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what you’re saying is we need more goons to fly to ensure the cache is kept up to date.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Warbird posted:

So what you’re saying is we need more goons to fly to ensure the cache is kept up to date.

Alternatively, Goon Air, a lethally airborne goon project.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

I imagine they have some kind of local cache onboard the plane to reduce bandwidth used, that's probably why it speeds up Safari as well.

do you mean that they are MITMing the TLS connection to the SA servers?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Subjunctive posted:

do you mean that they are MITMing the TLS connection to the SA servers?

even a cursory google indicates providers are doing it for much worse reasons lol

carry on then fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 19, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’d be a “no” for American WiFi. Could have just been the network taking a poo poo as their own site didn’t really want to load.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK none of the American (USA) carriers offer free WiFi for surfing.

I think Alaskan does something with T-Mobile for texting or something.

(Currently on a Norwegian flight to the UK using free WiFi).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MarcusSA posted:

Can confirm, my fiancée is on an Alaska flight right now texting me with her free T-Mo text stuff.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Supposedly TMo has 1 free hour on Gogo flights.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK none of the American (USA) carriers offer free WiFi for surfing.

(Currently on a Norwegian flight to the UK using free WiFi).

JetBlue fly-fi is completely free for browsing, apps, etc. the only thing it throttled is video, I think.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Warbird posted:

A minor note that some company policies prevent the usage of third party shortcuts on iOS. I’d say still do it as it seems pretty reliable, but be aware that may be a pain point down the line.

That’s good to know!

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey Pokey, great work as per usual. Could you please +1 updating the icons I made a while ago? Thank ye.

Yep!

Solovey posted:

hey, thanks for the response! i still hadn't been having any luck with getting either of the apps to work, until earlier today when i finally tried something i probably should have done when this issue first started: i accessed the forums via web browser and changed my password, and inputting the new credentials in the app finally allowed me to log in. still no idea why it was having such a problem with my old password, but at least if this ever comes up again, or if by chance somebody else starts to have the same issue, there's a solution...? :shrug: who knows!

That is very weird, but I’m glad you got it sorted. I still haven't ruled out something dumb in Awful.

shortspecialbus posted:

On iPad Pro 11, I am occasionally doing "something" that causes the page to scroll up to the top. Every time I think I figure out what I did, I can't reliably reproduce it.

What am I doing to make it do this and how do I make it stop happening? It's annoying to be 2/3 down a very long page and then something makes it scroll all the way back up and I have to find where the heck I was.

This is happening to me too on the same device, except it happens in other apps for me (most annoying in Twitter) and I’m pretty sure something's just busted in the display or digitizer or whatever and I should bring it in to get fixed.

Does it happen while you’re still in Awful, or do you have to leave the app and come back?

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is a weird one.

I’m getting some weird text rendering issues on the iPad version.

It’s very subtle but the first line almost looks like it has a strike through. It’s made me do a double take a few times.

If I scroll up and then back the text is normal.

I haven’t seen it on the iPhone and it’s not super common on the iPad.

I see this sometimes too, it drives me nuts. I’ll +1 it on the list.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a OS painting artifact rather than something that the app can control.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Awful is doing something unhelpful like positioning a view with a fractional pixel offset.

Krankenstyle posted:

Could be. Forgot to mention that it stays at the same place on the screen so I can scroll different words over it and see them deform

Ok that’s a new wrinkle.

fourwood posted:

It’s just “Mark” now.

I believe I’ve seen this reported in the thread before.

Yes indeed!

teen witch posted:

Hey so I’m completely unable to make a new thread...?

Dammit, our one competitive advantage. I’ll take a look.

Tetramin posted:

Weird issue that probably affects nobody, but when I view the dog piling thread in QCS and hit the “previous posts” button the app completely crashes. Doesn’t really matter at all but thought I’d let you good goons know.

It also doesn’t display anything eg:

Maybe this is a result of zdr deleting all their posts and broke a bunch of threads i dunno

That’s my guess. There's at least one bug because of the ghost posts, might me more than one. I’ll add it to the list. As uncommon as it is, there’s no reason it should work any worse than the website.

the yeti posted:

Edit— a thought, could we get an ‘open in browser’ button on our in-app profile?

I’ll put it on the list. May I ask what you’d like to use it for? Might be something we can fix or do in the app.

101 posted:

Long pressing an image since iOS 13 ends up highlighting the image and some text around it once you dismiss it

This bugs me too. Thanks for bringing it up as it reminds me to make a note of it.

Phone posted:

Is there anyway to copy a tweet embed from awful.app without having to click through on an iPhone 11 with iOS 13? I used to be able to do it on my 6S, but that had 3D Touch.

In theory you can long-press, but I think that’s broken, so maybe not? I’ll add it to the list.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Whenever you try and open a link it now crashes the app and gives a blank page.

What kind of links? Like links to other posts, other threads, posts on the same/different page of the same thread, links off the Forums? If you can point me to a post with a problem link that’d help too. If not that’s ok, I can go look at crash logs :)

the yeti posted:

In oled dark mode part of the bookmarks badge stays highlighted after you move off of it

Tab bars are the worst. I’ll add it to the list.

Snowy posted:

The app crashes every time I go into portrait mode, so whenever I tilt my phone a little too much it crashes.

I’m on a 8 plus with the latest update.

E- nm I reinstalled and it’s ok :downs:

E2- nope it’s back. Turn the phone and the app crashes

That’s really lovely, sorry about that. Agreed it seems weird there aren’t widespread reports. Though I did notice (and maybe it came up in here too) that Awful crashes immediately if voice control is turned on. Wonder if there’s some common issue between the two, like some split view dickery finally catching up to us.

stuffed crust punk posted:

Pokeyman i submitted a testflight crash report where i said it crashed whn i hit reply, i meant that it crashed when i hit quote

Ah no worries. I also may have completely forgotten that TestFlight crash reports were a thing.

carry on then posted:

I think we can do CSS variables on all supported iOS versions now, so that might make things easier.

teen witch posted:

Nice! I think I mentioned in this thread, but some time ago I was somewhere with lovely but technically functional reception and Awful worked surprisingly well compared to, well basically any website and not a few apps.

Camrath posted:

Someone else was having this problem recently. They found that changing their password on the website let them log in again through Awful. That’s a lovely workaround and I’m sure Awful is doing something bad and dumb, but if you’re willing to give it a try it might help for now.

Couch Life posted:

Me neither, but I haven’t tried again recently, so I’ll give it another go. Sorry about that, I know it's frustrating. Always ok to bring it up again too, it reminds me to actually do something.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thank you- somehow that worked! (Though also the forums tried to lock me out when using my password over the web.. perhaps some fuckery at their end?)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

I’ll put it on the list. May I ask what you’d like to use it for? Might be something we can fix or do in the app.

I was thinking a direct path to the web version of the profile might mitigate some of the inconvenience of the way the ignore list malfunctions if a poster on it gets modded/adminned/IK’d.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

even a cursory google indicates providers are doing it for much worse reasons lol

modern browsers and operating systems go to pretty substantial lengths to ensure that providers can’t do so, unless they can install/alter software on the user device. providers will do all sorts of things to non-TLS traffic, for sure, but with modern TLS their choices (assuming they haven’t compromised a CA and are willing to blow that capability, and that the target site hasn’t pinned their root associations) are to block based on IP or let it through blindly

if Delta is busting TLS to intercept and cache traffic, that is pretty big news I think!

E: seems like I inadvertently pissed you off at some point; whatever that was, sorry!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 20, 2019

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

the yeti posted:

I was thinking a direct path to the web version of the profile might mitigate some of the inconvenience of the way the ignore list malfunctions if a poster on it gets modded/adminned/IK’d.

Also an easy way to get to the SAclopedia.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I can avoid Lowtax’s NordVPN ads by turning off the “Unread announcements badge”, right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m having an issue where apostrophes in my own post show up in the preview, but not when I actually post.

Or, if the apostrophe shows up in this post for you, it’s not showing up for me on my phone.

Edit: well they’re showing up for me now. Weird.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 23, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

General Dog posted:

I’m having an issue where apostrophes in my own post show up in the preview, but not when I actually post.

Or, if the apostrophe shows up in this post for you, it’s not showing up for me on my phone.

Edit: well they’re showing up for me now. Weird.

Yeah, this has been happening for a long time, and intermittently. I have in my head that it’s related to smart apostrophes and how the server handles that particular Unicode whatzit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ben meaning you come here to say a big thank you to the developers! This is probably my most used app on my phone and it’s super solid and reliable.