Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Can confirm that this is an awesome restaurant and I frequented it when it was in Winter Park before they went to airport only.

Also, sandwichanarchist is a good poster and human being.

I’m a solo business traveler and am not an rear end in a top hat, but I’ve seen many that are. As I’ve said so many times in the past, you’re in the wrong terminal. I’m seriously at MCO 2-4 times per week and my per diems should be spent on your food, not eating freebies in the AA lounge. Please come to 30-60!

Please edit the name out of your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

What's the rent like compared to say a downtown location in Orlando? Or wherever a similar restaurant would be usually located there.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I'll find out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

Oh hey I live right next to MCO can I drop by?

Yeah, let me know. I can bring people through security

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Please edit the name out of your post

poo poo, my bad, done!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

poo poo, my bad, done!

Thanks. People can easily figure out what restaurant we're talking about, but plausible deniability etc.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
have you had any recognition from local food writers/other parts of the local food scene? the only time i see any sort of stuff written up about airport locations in LA is if there's a celebrity chef or a high profile restaurant group moving into a new space, and the only place that's remained discussed for longer than the initial buzz is an offshoot of a well known food prep centered charity. LAX kind of seems like a blackhole foodwise

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

have you had any recognition from local food writers/other parts of the local food scene? the only time i see any sort of stuff written up about airport locations in LA is if there's a celebrity chef or a high profile restaurant group moving into a new space, and the only place that's remained discussed for longer than the initial buzz is an offshoot of a well known food prep centered charity. LAX kind of seems like a blackhole foodwise

We've had numerous local food writers and bloggers visit and review us. We've also been recognized by USA Today three times as one of the best airport restaurants in the nation, placing in the top 4 of a national user poll.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Sandwich Anarchist this thread is the bomb dot com. I travel more than average and appreciate any airport where I can get some decent goddamn food; you're fighting the good fight! I never get out east though. I was hoping you were in one of the connections I make frequently.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

LAX has this like rock and roll bar thing called Rock and Brews. It's always full so I only ever get in when I'm traveling alone, good luck if you've got family with you. Food is decent, excellent as far as airports go, and the beer selection is high quality and priced like you'd expect beer to be priced at a restaurant outside an airport. Go to that place. It's not the best airport food at the handful of airports I frequent but it's close (the best is in SMF - look for the place with all the dark wood right by the massive chandelier).

Also, I have a fun (terrible) LAX food story. On my worst day of travel ever (huge delays, rerouting, loving nightmare - 17 hours to cross half the US) I was in LAX waiting a longass time for the connection to finally get me where I was going. It was like midnight and I was starving and I made a huge loving mistake: I ordered a breakfast croissant. It had probably been there since the morning if not the morning before.... spent most of that flight making GBS threads my guts out. 1 star would not recommend.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Resting Lich Face posted:

Sandwich Anarchist this thread is the bomb dot com.

Hey, no bomb jokes at the airport. They take that poo poo seriously.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Thanks. People can easily figure out what restaurant we're talking about, but plausible deniability etc.

Definitely found the current menu (updated today lol) and holy poo poo I'm definitely coming to eat the next time I head to Orlando to visit theme parks!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
While I was trying to creep your website, MCO's website seems to really want me to go to the French version loving urgently for some reason. They are aware that most of Canada does not, in fact, speak any French, right?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Definitely found the current menu (updated today lol) and holy poo poo I'm definitely coming to eat the next time I head to Orlando to visit theme parks!

Yeah I told the GM to update it. I'm currently working on a new site as well.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That's some drat fine looking food OP, and I have eaten some drat fine food in my time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is that an oyster po boy and if so how many goddamn oysters are on it? That can't be normal unless its like 30 bucks.

And whats the fish in the last one? Catfish?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

Is that an oyster po boy and if so how many goddamn oysters are on it? That can't be normal unless its like 30 bucks.

And whats the fish in the last one? Catfish?

It's alligator, and yeah that's catfish.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ah, that makes a little more sense

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm surprised major hubs aren't courting restaurants like this more actively. Like, when I fly to Europe, I have a choice of going through Toronto, Frankfurt, London or Amsterdam, and I would absolutely consider choosing any of those over any other on the basis of a restaurant like the OP's. I already pick Houston over Dallas, Chicago and Denver when flying to the States so I can hit Pappadeaux's, and it's not even that great.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PT6A posted:

I'm surprised major hubs aren't courting restaurants like this more actively. Like, when I fly to Europe, I have a choice of going through Toronto, Frankfurt, London or Amsterdam, and I would absolutely consider choosing any of those over any other on the basis of a restaurant like the OP's. I already pick Houston over Dallas, Chicago and Denver when flying to the States so I can hit Pappadeaux's, and it's not even that great.

Airports are only barely paying attention to the restaurants they lease space to. They have far more pressing concerns, for better or worse. This is changing in some hubs with both significant traffic and a larger physical footprint that can accommodate places like this, but there are a ton of airports where it really isn't possible (I'm look at you Kansas City)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

DFW has Pappadeaux's. Two of them in fact. In Terminal A and Terminal C.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is more general than airport specific, but since coming back to the US I've gotten sick of restaurants because basically anywhere that isn't explicitly "ethnic" has the same twelve boring things on the menu and the only vegetable is a potato. Some sort of generic salad if you're lucky. Why is there so little variety?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

This is more general than airport specific, but since coming back to the US I've gotten sick of restaurants because basically anywhere that isn't explicitly "ethnic" has the same twelve boring things on the menu and the only vegetable is a potato. Some sort of generic salad if you're lucky. Why is there so little variety?

'the US' is a big place, if you're living in the midwest somewhere, the answer is "don't live there anymore". But, mostly, because burgers/mac&cheese/steak/pasta with boring bullshit/nachos/tacos-type menus tend to appeal to a wider audience and those items sell better. Depending on where you are, try to find some independently owned, smaller spots. Not necessarily fine dining, but smaller spots will be more likely to have fun menus because they're only doing 40 seats at a time anyway so having to please 300 people a night isn't a need.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

They all buy from Sysco.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Starches and low quality meat are dirt cheap, and most Americans have bad food habits.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
If you had to recommend one menu item for someone completely new to southern cuisine and is looking to experience what the south has to offer, what would it be?

Without ever having grits in my life I think I'd probably order that, but perhaps there's something better?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

If you had to recommend one menu item for someone completely new to southern cuisine and is looking to experience what the south has to offer, what would it be?

Without ever having grits in my life I think I'd probably order that, but perhaps there's something better?

Nashville Chicken. Smoked and fried naked, in a hot spice crust, drenched in hot honey (chili infused, not temperature hot) with sweet pepper pickle relish on top, alabama white bbq sauce (or "bama") to dip, and a fixin of your choice; go for brussels or grits.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Sold! Please find the nearest Canadian and send it up north with them.

Seriously, that sounds really good.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

With the rise of Instagram, many restaurants have begun to pay more attention to plating to improve their visibility on social media. Is this a focus area for you, given the emphasis on short ticket times you previously mentioned?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
LMAO if you're avoiding ORD and Tortas Fronteras for IAH and Pappadeux you're really doing this wrong.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

With the rise of Instagram, many restaurants have begun to pay more attention to plating to improve their visibility on social media. Is this a focus area for you, given the emphasis on short ticket times you previously mentioned?

Yes. I am constantly looking for new plates and dishes to use, and I put a very big focus on presentation and plating. Most people who come here have incredibly low expectations, so my goal is to suprise them. I hear "oh wow!" when a plate gets placed in front of someone and it feels rad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'd be very curious about your menu development process in general given the various constraints you have. Are there any gimmes on there like "what are we going to do with the burger this time" or any dishes that are a hard no, despite wanting to do them?

Similarly, given your volume and security restrictions, how often do you 86 menu items for a shift or a day? Even with deliveries 6 days per week I'd imagine there are times when something just can't be done.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

drgitlin posted:

LMAO if you're avoiding ORD and Tortas Fronteras for IAH and Pappadeux you're really doing this wrong.

I hadn’t heard of that one, if it’s better then ORD it is next time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd be very curious about your menu development process in general given the various constraints you have. Are there any gimmes on there like "what are we going to do with the burger this time" or any dishes that are a hard no, despite wanting to do them?

The process is alot like anywhere else; we see stuff or think of things to try, bounce the idea around, and start experimenting. There are lots of things we wish we could do but simply can't for various reasons. For example, we can't really do things like roasts or venison, because being past TSA security means we have to use plastic cutlery. Many types of fish are off the table due to the time needed to cook them properly. We've also discovered that people about to get on a plane don't want ribs or anything super messy.

We do have a number of staple items that never change, or have slight variations. Shrimp & Grits is always there, but the Seasonal Salad changes every menu. Some things do change for the sake of changing, even if they do well, but only if they've been on for a while. On our current menu, the Bologna Sliders are done after this menu, even though they fly.

We also have to stay on theme. Often, dishes will come up that sound great but need tweaking to work for our concept. An example is the current pasta; it's fashioned after elote street corn, a solidly hispanic dish, so we are making the chorizo out of Texas hunted wild boar to give it that spin.

quote:

Similarly, given your volume and security restrictions, how often do you 86 menu items for a shift or a day? Even with deliveries 6 days per week I'd imagine there are times when something just can't be done.

We don't often run out of anything. Occasionally things get missed on prep or, more often, get shorted on deliveries and we have to drop an item for the night. But it's actually in our contract that we have full menu availability at all times, so we have to be pretty diligent about it.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 21, 2019

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Are there any unexpected perks to having an airport location?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pekinduck posted:

Are there any unexpected perks to having an airport location?

We close up based on flights that day, which often means that we are leaving the restaurant at 11pm or earlier. No 2am out times here. We are always busy, so cooks and staff get their hours consistently, and service staff make bank every day. Being as busy and having the revenue that we do means we have a load of extra money and backing from the parent company, so I have a lot of freedom for purchasing new products and equipment as needed. It is also easier to blow people away with our food and service, since everyone's expectations are so low when they visit us for the first time!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PT6A posted:

I hadn’t heard of that one, if it’s better then ORD it is next time.

If you like Mexican sandwiches it’s amazing. Be warned: the habanero salsa is really, really, really very hot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drgitlin posted:

If you like Mexican sandwiches it’s amazing. Be warned: the habanero salsa is really, really, really very hot.

This is a problem? :confused:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

drgitlin posted:

I do, and I especially love extremely spicy salsas! Welp, ORD it is next time I’m going south.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I can't think of any good questions, because most goons have beaten me to the ones that occurred to me (and then some). Just wanted to say that, as expected, this is a really good thread, thanks for making it!

Actually I do have a question, come to think of it: the bit about your chef knives being cabeled down, that was "wow, that's wild, but makes sense, I guess". But what about other sharp implements, like paring knives, or peelers, or...? Do y'all have to account for everything at the end of a shift? I know I could totally take out 5 flight attendants and a couple pilots with a Microplane.

(NOTE TO TSA/CIA/FBI/OTHER ALPHABET ORGANIZATIONS: THAT WAS A JOKE. GET IT? MICROPLANE?)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I can't think of any good questions, because most goons have beaten me to the ones that occurred to me (and then some). Just wanted to say that, as expected, this is a really good thread, thanks for making it!

Actually I do have a question, come to think of it: the bit about your chef knives being cabeled down, that was "wow, that's wild, but makes sense, I guess". But what about other sharp implements, like paring knives, or peelers, or...? Do y'all have to account for everything at the end of a shift? I know I could totally take out 5 flight attendants and a couple pilots with a Microplane.

(NOTE TO TSA/CIA/FBI/OTHER ALPHABET ORGANIZATIONS: THAT WAS A JOKE. GET IT? MICROPLANE?)

All of that poo poo is tied down, including wine corkscrews. Peelers aren't, but that's it. We have an entire secondary prep kitchen down in the secure area of the terminal that let's us have loose knives though, so that's where we do the majority of the heavy knife work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Interesting, thanks!

On a similar note (and sorry if this is a stupid question, but I haven't flown in years): are passengers allowed to get doggie bags to bring on the plane? I hate wasting food and always get to-go boxes with anything I can't finish. I'd be sad to watch your delicious food being whisked away just because I have a connecting flight and didn't finish my grits.