Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It was none of that. I took care of all that stuff as it was on our balcony and self-contained from that point of view.

Neighbor above complained that they couldn't use their balcony due to bird poop, which is silly. It was just some finches and sparrows and our balcony was just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Probably just soulless bird-haters

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I figured out a solution. I'm just going to throw a handful of birdseed in one of my plant pots/containers every few days and just play dumb if I get asked about it again.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I can’t get the link to work on my phone, but it looks like the National Audubon Society released a new set of binoculars ratings. Might be good to check out while the holiday sales are on if you are in the market for new bins.

A. J. Flint
Jun 5, 2019
I've been trying to get back into birding (haven't had a lot of time lately to go out and watch) but last weekend I spotted one of my favorite ever birds, an Eurasian hoopoe! Last one I saw in person was when I was a child, they've been on a population decline here in Spain, so I was pretty giddy when I saw it. Also spotted some jackdaws, a few black redstarts, and a black wheatear on the same trip :yayclod:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Awesome bird! I’ve only seen one from a car at highway speed.

I’ve worked in at least two university offices that had their network printers named after hoopoe (Upupa epops)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright bird nerds, who's doing a Christmas Bird Count this year!?

I've got 2 this weekend. Our normal area leader for one of them is out of town so I'm taking over. I'm glad to do it but there's definitely more stress involved. Tides are at a funny time this year so that's shifted the schedule, and some of the other participants that I was hoping could lead a sub-group for a couple hours are now only going to be there half a day. And yesterday I found a write-up bird in our territory in a place that's not somewhere we normally go, so I'm trying to figure out how to work that in.

At least the weather should be good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I missed the Aussie Backyard Bird Count (October) but I have a mostly-inactive account at eBird and you've prompted me to try to remember to fit in a 15-minute session (or more) at the places I'll be over the next couple of weeks. I'm housesitting for some profs here and their house is in a lovely patch of (bone-dry drought-afflicted) bush near the university for a month, starting tomorrow, and from the 22nd to the 26th my family will be at a rental cabin in a national park on the New South Wales central coast, an ideal place for some semi-serious birding.

Weirdly, Australia doesn't seem to do a christmas count. Everybody is on holiday in the sun, and birding is pretty popular around here, you'd think it would be A Thing. Oh well, I'll go out and mis-identify a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for the prompt! Hopefully I'll remember.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I just started using eBird and only now found out about CBC, but unfortunately it's happening on the day I've got a lot of plans already so I'll be missing out.

I got real lucky the first time I took the app out, got two ospreys (one caught a fish) and a location first bird, which was cool. eBird is basically turning into my picture dumping ground for photos that are mostly boring but still decently taken and I really like all the data entry features. I'm going to try to do a log a day since I have a walking portion of my commute that usually has a decent variety of species on the way and the occasional bird of prey.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ebird is great for stuff like that. Probably you all know this but you can speed up data entry by clicking into the search bar and then entering the birds name. It will also take abbreviated bird banding codes, so Ruby-crowned Kinglet is RCKI, and usually just even the first 3 letters are enough to pull up the species. Some codes are similar, so typing AMCO will pull up American Coot and American Crow.

Well, my 2 counts are done. Pretty good weather for both of them, although a little windy on Saturday. Don't have totals yet on the Saturday one but we got multiple Merlins, a peregrine hunting that a local newspaper reporter got to see, loggerhead shrike, cackling geese. The second one was the one I was leading. Weather fantastic. For whatever reason we missed a lot of common stuff. No turkey, mockingbird, downy woodpecker, red-shouldered hawk, savannah sparrow... The compiling numbers from when people separated was a bit of a pain but not too bad. Probably the hardest thing to adjust too was that everyone kept following me around all day! I'm used to walking a little ahead or behind the group sometimes so I can listen for birds or spend a minute standing still waiting for some birds to come out of the bushes or whatever. So the introvert rear end in a top hat in me had to be reminded by the rest of my brain that I was, in fact leading the group.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When a songbird fails to migrate south for the winter, is there anything you can reasonably do for it or do you just put out extra seed and pray? My mom's been having a chipping sparrow at the feeder for the last few days and we're in Southwestern Ontario. He should not be here.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

When a songbird fails to migrate south for the winter, is there anything you can reasonably do for it or do you just put out extra seed and pray? My mom's been having a chipping sparrow at the feeder for the last few days and we're in Southwestern Ontario. He should not be here.

Not much you can do. I wouldn’t worry too much— a sparrow has a better shot than say a warbler that’s depends on insects, and I’d guess you aren’t actually that far outside of Chippie’s winter range. A lot of birds do reasonably well in cold.

I guess I’d look at it this way— if it doesn’t survive, that’s natural-ish selection acting on variation in migratory behavior.
And if “not supposed to be here” is mainly determined by old wintering data, could be ranges are shifting north with climate change and you’ll start seeing more and more of them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

YggiDee posted:

You sure it's not an American Tree Sparrow? They look similar and that would be more likely in Ontario in winter.

Birds are surprisingly resilient. If they can find enough food, a sparrow would probably be just fine through the winter. I live in a place where it fairly frequently drops below freezing and yet we have Anna's Hummingbirds, kinglets, three species of warblers, etc. throughout the winter.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You sure it's not an American Tree Sparrow? They look similar and that would be more likely in Ontario in winter.

I won't say I'm 100% sure, but Mom's pretty reliable on bird IDs and this didn't have a chest splotch or a two toned bill and the eye stripe was too dark.

And I guess there's not much I can do about it either way. I get that it's kind of how nature works, but I still have this basic 'oh no he looks cold :(' reaction when I see poofed out little sparrows at -12°C.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I had a barred owl hang out outside my house for a while tonight! First it posted up on my deck railing and looked in at us watching TV for 10min or so, then it flew around to a tree just outside our kitchen window and stuck around there for another hour and a half.

Was cool seeing a fairly big bird like that up close. It's been around for a week or so, I've seen it in the backyard a few times when I took my dog out for his midnight poop sesh. This was the first time it showed up so early or did anything other than fly through.

Looks really big here due to the camera angle and being zoomed in a bit. I think wingspan looked like maybe 2.5ft or so.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

I had a barred owl hang out outside my house for a while tonight! First it posted up on my deck railing and looked in at us watching TV for 10min or so, then it flew around to a tree just outside our kitchen window and stuck around there for another hour and a half.

Was cool seeing a fairly big bird like that up close. It's been around for a week or so, I've seen it in the backyard a few times when I took my dog out for his midnight poop sesh. This was the first time it showed up so early or did anything other than fly through.

Looks really big here due to the camera angle and being zoomed in a bit. I think wingspan looked like maybe 2.5ft or so.

Really cool! How big is your dog? Maybe he's sizing up dinner!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
He's a smallish great dane, so I doubt he's on the menu unless this owl is really ambitious.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I had a barred owl ... just outside our kitchen window...

Whoo cooks for you?

That’s awesome! Hope it sticks around.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Got a Mountain Bluebird, Whooping Cranes, and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers all in Florida today. All life birds!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Got a Mountain Bluebird, Whooping Cranes, and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers all in Florida today. All life birds!

All awesome birds! MOBL seems like it would be real unusual for Florida.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

BetterLekNextTime posted:

All awesome birds! MOBL seems like it would be real unusual for Florida.

Yep! I was visiting my mother down here and before I came looked to see what was around. I couldn't believe when I saw that. It was just an hour and 30 mins away in Pasco county. Don't know what it's doing there! But I was happy to have that. I always wanted to see it.

The cranes I thought had left or weren't coming to that spot anymore maybe. So when I got there I waited. And I was about to leave sat down in the car and in my peripheral vision I saw them flying in!! And they did this circle around the property and were vocalizing and stuff before landing. It was so cool.

I always wanted all three of these birds a lot and just had been unlucky in the past. And never make it out west. But today was my day :)

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I spotted a golden variation of a purple finch the other day and it made me very happy. I don't have anyone else to share this with so please enjoy.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Does anyone recognize the long call in the background of this clip?
https://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/htmwav/h7480so.mp3
One of them used to live in my backyard growing up so its call is burned into my memory but I don't know enough about birds to identify it.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

ThingOne posted:

Does anyone recognize the long call in the background of this clip?
https://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/htmwav/h7480so.mp3
One of them used to live in my backyard growing up so its call is burned into my memory but I don't know enough about birds to identify it.

The background call sounds like a chickadee. The specific species depends on your geographic location, but others with more expertise could probably ID by call alone.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EPICAC posted:

The background call sounds like a chickadee. The specific species depends on your geographic location, but others with more expertise could probably ID by call alone.

yup... not sure which one either.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri so it looks like it could either be a Black-Capped Chickadee or a Carolina Chickadee. The song I remember always had five notes, if that helps.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Might depend on how old you are. Not sure exactly where the hybrid zone is/was in Missouri but Carolina's are heading north at almost a mile/year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been entertaining myself by reading bird facts and lookin' at their pictures on all about birds lately. Does anyone know of a similar website that contains birds from the rest of the world? It's USA-focused and that's great, but I want to know more about more birds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been entertaining myself by reading bird facts and lookin' at their pictures on all about birds lately. Does anyone know of a similar website that contains birds from the rest of the world? It's USA-focused and that's great, but I want to know more about more birds.

Cornell just put Birds Of The World online. It's a pay service, but some library systems and schools have subscriptions and you can access it through their proxy. I believe eBird users who submit something like 1000 checklists per year get free access?

Nice username, btw. I actually use that as my Wi-Fi hotspot for my phone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.rspb.org.uk has a lot of stuff for UK birds.
There's also youtube channel that does a lot of really good identification help for UK birds - search BTO bird id.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 4, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you for the links, just what I was looking for! I am, alas, not a birder - but drat if I don't love studying these magnificent beasts.

I chose Strix Nebulosa as my username back in my early teens because it's a cool sounding name, and because the Great Grey Owl is one of the coolest owls. It's just magnificent to watch in motion. :D

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you for the links, just what I was looking for! I am, alas, not a birder - but drat if I don't love studying these magnificent beasts.

Sounds like you are a pair of binoculars away from being a birder. Get on it!

I follow a bunch of bird organizations on social media. Most are US/North American but some of them have partners in other places. Some of them just seem to be trying to post stuff to stay busy and keep connected since so many of their spring programs and events have been cancelled. The ones I remember off the top of my head...

Audubon

American Bird Conservancy

American Birding Association

American Ornithological Society

Point Blue

Institute for Bird Populations

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The wood thrushes are back :allears:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The wood thrushes are back :allears:

Jealous! Someone reported Swainson's nearby but I haven't been able to go out and look yet. We don't get Wood thrush or Veery out here, and the other day I was like "wow, 4 species of warblers" I miss spring in the east...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Spring is here in Florida, too. The catbirds are here.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My tulip poplars are blooming, and today a bunch of cedar waxwings are hopping around all the flowers bingeing on nectar. Only ever seen them do that with berries before.

Also, chickadees are nesting in the box we put up :)

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2020

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My birding time in Asia was really helped by https://ebird.org/explore. Search by region was invaluable for help identifying birds in a country where you don't have a guide book.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

lord funk posted:

My birding time in Asia was really helped by https://ebird.org/explore. Search by region was invaluable for help identifying birds in a country where you don't have a guide book.

Yeah that's pretty invaluable and we use it almost every time we travel. Guidebooks are great, but "what do people actually see in this specific location" really helps when you're dealing with completely unfamiliar birds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

lord funk posted:

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah that's pretty invaluable and we use it almost every time we travel. Guidebooks are great, but "what do people actually see in this specific location" really helps when you're dealing with completely unfamiliar birds.

I must say that I rolled my eyes a bit at the Merlin app because of how often I've seen people rely on it's photo ID feature above common sense, but when I was on a cruise that stopped in the Bahamas, Mexico, and Honduras last year it was incredible. It's basically a full field guide complete with sounds and it will allow you to sort birds by occurrence likelihood. The occurrence data is fantastic because it can really help narrow down an ID where one or more species may look similar and have overlapping range, but one is way more likely than the others.

It looks like they don't have packs for most of Asia yet, but they're expanding pretty rapidly and have a sizable chunk of the world covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Saw Snow Buntings for the first time!