Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Rey lives this not by being a secret Skywalker like people originally thought she might be but by choosing the name Skywalker.

The thing is that Palpatine is Anakin's father so she still is a secret Skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol is it true the first line the emperor says is he needs to poo?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not in the movies but it's been pretty common in a lot of side stuff. There's an argument to be made that Vader was doing something healingy in that weird pod in ESB but that's entirely side material.

edit: Apparently it appeared in The Mandalorian?

There's also Obi Wan getting Luke up after he was concussed by the Tuskens. At least, I always figured that was what was going on. You don't put your fingers on someone's temples to check their vitals.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Little Mac posted:

Mostly, though, I really loved how this took Lucas's bad themes - his intentions in telling a story of lineage, heritage, and legacy - and shits on it. Episodes I-VI are about the Skywalker bloodline and how Anakin has his dark destiny and Luke and his sister struggle with that darkness. It's about family. The weight their father brings upon them. The secret of two twins finding love and then their true selves.

VII-IX are about finding your own family. Rey, Finn, and Poe and even Ren are not secretly related. There are things that bring them together but there's no bloodline there. It's outright stated by Luke that there are stronger things than blood and Rey lives this not by being a secret Skywalker like people originally thought she might be but by choosing the name Skywalker. I thought it was so modern thematically which perhaps takes away from the space opera of it all, but makes it work better for me in some ways as a part of the whole, even if it's not the best individual movie.

You, uh, realize that Rey turns out to be a secret Palpatine instead, right? And that this makes her and Ben officially first cousins once removed?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol is it true the first line the emperor says is he needs to poo?

Yes

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Im starting to come around on the fact that this movie's pants on head stupidity is maybe less obnoxious than TLJ's grotesque neoliberalism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Force Healing was never "Bring back the dead" good before though.

I wonder when we're getting Jedi Meditation. That one was early in the EU, and kept getting reused.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gohmak posted:

Dare I say you should turn off your brain?

Not turn off as much as don't feel the need to go crazy with it.

It's comes up mostly afterwards when you're thinking about "reasons" for things. Even then it's more this poo poo is kind of goofy then it bothers me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

the average viewer didn't like tlj, hope this helps

It had an A Cinemascore which is a much better metric of what Norman Normie thought than RT review bombs, this thread and Reddit

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
"This felt like a Maze Runner movie" - a friend

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
It was entertaining, better than I thought it'd be, but I was expecting a complete shitcake disaster. There was one dude in my theatre who clapped at every moment that was sign posted for it (Lando and Luke showing up, the fleeting showing up, the cuts to the old actors, etc. etc.) while everyone else just laughed at the funny and awkward bits.

But this was everything bad about fan service and fan fiction all rolled into one. "I'm all the Sith." "I'm...all the Jedi!!" is something a twelve year old would write.

Don't know how you compare this movie to TLJ, on any level. TLJ was much more interested in doing stuff, like literally anything interesting possible with what was available. This movie takes the coward's way out every chance it gets and it ends up being cushy and predictable. It's not a movie you would watch twice unless you just needed something on in the background while doing something else.

It also completely fails to resolve Rey's arc? Like it builds up the fact that she's full of this rage, teetering on falling to the dark side because of it. Does killing sheev resolve that? Is the message of the movie literally "getting revenge will satisfy you"?

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 20, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Like I think if I told my friends direct spoilers from this movie they would think I'm just making things up to gently caress with them because of how dumb it all sounds.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Canadian Surf Club posted:

It was entertaining, better than I thought it'd be, but I was expecting a complete shitcake disaster. There was one dude in my theatre who clapped at every moment that was sign posted for it (Lando and Luke showing up, the fleeting showing up, the cuts to the old actors, etc. etc.) while everyone else just laughed at the funny and awkward bits.

But this was everything bad about fan service and fan fiction all rolled into one. "I'm all the Sith." "I'm...all the Jedi!!" is something a twelve year old would write.

Don't know how you compare this movie to TLJ, on any level. TLJ was much more interested in doing stuff, like literally anything interesting possible with what was available. This movie takes the coward's way out every chance it gets and it ends up being cushy and predictable. It's not a movie you would watch twice unless you just needed something on in the background while doing something else.

A lot of the TLJ haters don't even seem to be talking about the movie but a version of the movie that their cult has convinced them exists

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I can’t wait for Rey’s kids to find out their real last name is Palpatine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You know, if it's now established that force ghost Luke can actually manipulate things in real life like catching a lightsaber and lifting hunks of metal out of oceans, and Luke wasn't the most powerful Jedi there ever was, then why the gently caress didn't Yoda and Samuel L. Jackson and every single other dead Jedi just force ghost themselves into that throne room and force pickup a rock and force murder the emperor instead of whispering into Rey's ears? Or if they couldn't force ghost themselves into that room then why didn't they force ghost into any other room at any other point in time and force murder the bad guys?

Also did anyone catch that throwaway line about hyperspace highways being a thing? Has that always been a thing?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I know all the worthless people who were screaming about Rey being a Mary Sue with no training or whatever moved on to calling Rose racial slurs, but the scene with all the Jedi coming to tell Rey how cool she is is so loving embarrassing that I barely registered the I AM ALL THE JEDI line.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
How can a movie be so breakneck and so completely drab at the same time? Nothing in this movie came close to the settings from phantom menace or the throne room or crait from last Jedi. I don’t remember other Abrams stuff off r top of my head but does he actually have any compelling visual narrative in his other movies?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Here I am, symbolically burying the Skywalker past and resolving that legacy for good.

Oh, what's the passer woman? Me? Well now that I think about it, I am a Skywalker, uh, somehow. I guess this is a good to continue. The Skywalkers were certainly not a plague on the universe or anything.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It had an A Cinemascore which is a much better metric of what Norman Normie thought than RT review bombs, this thread and Reddit

i guess the argument is that disney deliberately undid the best film to please... uh... the russian bots who review bombed RT?

if you don't think disney did extensive analysis to figure out how to make the most crowd-pleasing movie they could after TLJ then you've got internet poisoning as much as the people who thought bb8 was a little white cuck ball

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I did actually like most of the stuff on Endor until Leah died. Then it got very dumb, very quick

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

sponges posted:

The way it goes out of its way to throw shade at TLJ must be bewildering to the average viewer. Like why the gently caress does this movie hate the previous one so much?

It adds this weird meta text that’s just petty and will not hold up up at all.

I laughed out loud when a rebel suggested "We can use the Holdo maneuver!" and the general told them to shut the gently caress up, you're only allowed to do that once

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Its so divisive I can't figure out if SMG will tell us its good or bad after he finally sees it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Horizon Burning posted:

i guess the argument is that disney deliberately undid the best film to please... uh... the russian bots who review bombed RT?

if you don't think disney did extensive analysis to figure out how to make the most crowd-pleasing movie they could after TLJ then you've got internet poisoning as much as the people who thought bb8 was a little white cuck ball

Well all of those focus groups sure made a great movie, that's the common sense to when a movie gets written by committee, right?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Danger posted:

How can a movie be so breakneck and so completely drab at the same time? Nothing in this movie came close to the settings from phantom menace or the throne room or crait from last Jedi. I don’t remember other Abrams stuff off r top of my head but does he actually have any compelling visual narrative in his other movies?

I thought the Force Awakens looked quite beautiful. Keeping in mind there was not really a template for what a live action non prequel Star Wars film looked like. Nothing in this one wowed me though. I kind of liked Burning Man

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Uncle Wemus posted:

Its so divisive I can't figure out if SMG will tell us its good or bad after he finally sees it

He's gonna write pages about the rebellion literally castrating the First (Final???) Order when they destroyed the dong cannons on the ships

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This might be my least favorite numbered Star Wars. It felt soul less and the pace/editing in the first act was terrible.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that Palpatine is Anakin's father so she still is a secret Skywalker.

Is this true? Because if the kiss was incest then it's suddenly hot and I'm totally cool with it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

qbert posted:

Is this true? Because if the kiss was incest then it's suddenly hot and I'm totally cool with it.

Search your heart etc. etc.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Seriously, just let her go evil and then force Ben Solo to kill her. You needed that kind of personal conflict to try to tie it together. And then he can be the last Skywalker

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I liked cyber-Palpatine. I'd watch an anime where he's the villain.

Really the new trilogy would work better as an anime.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

qbert posted:

Palpatine insinuated that he created Anakin with evil magic.

After watching this movie I think I'm gonna get on the headcanon that Darth Plagueis created both Palpatine and Anakin.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The Force Awakens 2: Speedrun No Sidequests Edition. And I'm so down for it.

I loved this poo poo. Just the kind of big dumb Star Wars movie I dreamed about as a child. Yeah, its loving stupid but you've never seen stupid be this stylish. I loved the quick pace, the quips, and endless fanservice. I even felt like it ended the series on a satisfying note. The audience was going crazy and applauding genuinely (and not just because its opening day). :unsmith:

This.......isn't a movie. Yes, I paid $10 for it and had to drive out into the cold to see it. Yes, its 2 hours long and has cinematic features. But, its not a movie. Its the last 2 issues of a super hero comic book arc where all exposition has been said, all setups have been shot, and all that's left is the chaos of the climax. Most people wouldn't/shouldn't write a movie like the last act of the last part of a TV series finale 2-parter.

This pisses off the professional critic. Rightfully so, perhaps. It's not traditional film-making, but I haven't been this entertained by a Star Wars flick in a long time simply for daring to just be 98% action and "Here they come! We gotta run!!!". Lots of positive crowd buzz afterwards just like TFA had. TLJ, in comparison, felt like a funeral dirge. I think this is why this movie will have the opposite; a low critic score and a high audience score. This is designed to be a crowd pleaser...if you "feel" where its coming from. Whereas, I feel like TLJ was kinda stuck up its own rear end. It was fiiiine, but it wasn't fun like this was. If this wasn't Star Wars, and if Disney chose leads that couldn't carry this movie, I'd say it was a disaster. Instead, it just might be in my top 3. Its stupid, fast, loud and climactic......and it knows a shitload of people paid for just that.

tl:dr gently caress critics. I loved it. They can stay mad. :unsmith:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 20, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

qbert posted:

"They essentially raped God!"
- Rich Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo&t=523s

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I honestly think the only reason I still care about Star Wars is so I can watch other people's reactions

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm still annoyed we didn't get to see Rey force lightning either Kylo Ren or Emperor Palpatine. Like, you can't just drop that in there for a 30 takeout about Chewbacca's death and then not bring it back.

Also, so Fin was gonna Rey that he loved her when they got pulled into the quicksand. And then they didn't actually follow up on him doing that later.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hell, same.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was not disappointed. I was terrified I would be, but I thought they managed to wrap everything up satisfyingly.

And :regd10: owns

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Dishwasher posted:

The Force Awakens 2: Speedrun No Sidequests Edition. And I'm so down for it.

I loved this poo poo. Just the kind of big dumb Star Wars movie I dreamed about as a child. Yeah, its loving stupid but you've never seen stupid be this stylish. I loved the quick pace, the quips, and endless fanservice. I even felt like it ended the series on a satisfying note. The audience was going crazy and applauding genuinely (and not just because its opening day). :unsmith:

This.......isn't a movie. Yes, I paid $10 for it and had to drive out into the cold to see it. Yes, its 2 hours long and has cinematic features. But, its not a movie. Its the last 2 issues of a super hero comic book arc where all exposition has been said, all setups have been shot, and all that's left is the chaos of the climax. Most people wouldn't/shouldn't write a movie like the last act of the last part of a TV series finale 2-parter.

This pisses off the professional critic. Rightfully so, perhaps. It's not traditional film-making, but I haven't been this entertained by a Star Wars flick in a long time simply for daring to just be 98% action and "Here they come! We gotta run!!!". Lots of positive crowd buzz afterwards just like TFA had. TLJ, in comparison, felt like a funeral dirge. I think this is why this movie will have the opposite; a low critic score and a high audience score. This is designed to be a crowd pleaser...if you "feel" where its coming from. Whereas, I feel like TLJ was kinda stuck up its own rear end. It was fiiiine, but it wasn't fun like this was. If this wasn't Star Wars, and if Disney chose leads that couldn't carry this movie, I'd say it was a disaster. Instead, it just might be in my top 3. Its stupid, fast, loud and climactic......and it knows a shitload of people paid for just that.

tl:dr gently caress critics. I loved it. They can stay mad. :unsmith:

What about any of It was stylish? It lacked any kind of distinct style or visual motif.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Canadian Surf Club posted:

It also completely fails to resolve Rey's arc? Like it builds up the fact that she's full of this rage, teetering on falling to the dark side because of it. Does killing sheev resolve that? Is the message of the movie literally "getting revenge will satisfy you"?

No, Sheev! I refuse to give in to the dark side and kill you! Now hang on, I need to kill all these nameless mooks that undoubtedly deserve to die far less than you do. Okay, now that that's done, nevermind I'll kill you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hazo posted:

I was not disappointed. I was terrified I would be, but I thought they managed to wrap everything up satisfyingly.

And :regd10: owns

He was the best part of the movie