Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

quote:

Rey had been my Star Wars hero, in the way that Luke was for so many other fans. From the moment I saw Daisy Ridley tooling around a desert planet in 2015’s The Force Awakens — and especially when she first picked up a lightsaber late in that movie — I was moved by her warmth and wit.

When Kylo Ren told her she was a nobody, she was devastated, and I thought back to the moment in my own life when I learned that the story of how I came to be on this planet was so much sadder than I would have imagined. But I was still here. I was still alive. The Force was for anybody. It was a big part of why The Last Jedi spoke to me in a way none of the earlier Star Wars movies had.

(And now we’ve reached the spot where spoilers for the latest Star Wars film, The Rise of Skywalker, lie straight ahead.)
Image of a spoiler warning

Well, anyway, what The Last Jedi told us about Rey isn’t true anymore, at least not canonically. The Rise of Skywalker finds a fancy way to thread the needle by allowing that, yes, Rey’s parents were nobodies who really did sell her off to the highest bidder. But they were only kind of nobodies, because her dad was the son of Emperor Palpatine, the Big Bad from both original trilogy and the prequels and one of the biggest characters to return in The Rise of Skywalker. Rey’s destiny, Palpatine insists, is to strike him down and take on all of the endless generations of Sith Lords, becoming the great Empress and ruling over the galaxy.

Leaving aside how this moment (and the related one in which Rey and Kylo Ren form a “Force dyad”) jarringly shifts the stakes of this latest trilogy, revealing that Rey is a descendant of Palpatine feels like a self-defeating story turn.

quote:

But even more powerful than the above idea is the idea that Rey is the last Jedi, the idea that when she faces off against Palpatine at the end of The Rise of Skywalker, with everybody else off the board, she embodies every single other Jedi who’s ever lived. And to me, that moment would have carried so much more weight if Rey was a nobody from a nowhere planet who nevertheless held the fate of the galaxy in her hands. Instead, she’s suddenly drawn into an elaborate family drama that neither she nor the audience knows anything about. (It’s not like the Star Wars movies have spent any time on Palpatine’s domestic life!)

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/12/19/21028496/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-spoilers-episode-9-reys-parents

Excellent article.

Also, good to know that Palpatine fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

cuntman.net posted:

i just cant get over that they dropped the sheev reveal right in the opening crawl. and then they didnt even show the transmission. its hilarious

Oh, they showed the transmission.

In Fortnite.

That's not a joke.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Beeez posted:

The Force seems way more proactive in this trilogy, yeah. Even with this whole Palpatine reveal, JJ really hasn't explained Anakin's lightsaber behaving the way it did at the Kanata Cantina, when in the first six movies it was some family heirloom that had been used to slaughter kids, not Excalibur.

A good question, for another time*

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Crappy Jack posted:

In Fortnite.

That's not a joke.
Holy poo poo :lol:

Also Han’s ghost dad scene... :lol:

The more I watch this movie, I’m in theater and it’s empty, the more I think it’s a comedy

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Rose was awful and jar jar binesque

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

H13 posted:

- Space Fuel which has never been mentioned before
- Laser Cannons that are able to lob lasers at ships...in space where there is no gravity. Light bends in parabolic arcs. Or maybe it was launching plasma, which still wouldn't fly in a parabolic arc in a zero-gravity environment
- When a ship runs out of fuel, it would keep flying at the speed the engines died at. It wouldn't be able to increase its momentum, but it wouldn't suddenly disappear and "fall" into range of the guns.

The lasers arcing is a visual effect. It's a dumb visual effect, but it doesn't affect the plot. You may as well object to the fact that you can hear the blasts hitting the shields even though there should be no sound in the vacuum of space. As for the space fuel, the movie doesn't explicitly state that the ships are accelerating the whole time, but it's both easy to infer and explains a lot- such as why ships seem to stop when they run out (they're no longer capable of accelerating) and why the imperials don't just launch a million tie fighters at the rebels (small ships would have trouble properly engaging capital ships at ever-increasing speed)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

In Fortnite.

That's not a joke.

i know, its bullshit :mad:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Chewie got a loving medal in a scene where no one else acknowledges it except the ~~fans~~

The pandering is off the charts

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

qbert posted:

Rey: “What about all the things you said and did in TLJ?”
Luke (turns and stares into the camera): “I WAS WRONG.”

literally his last speech in TLJ is him admitting that he was wrong to want the Jedi to go

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting that final scene. Rey wasn't taking up the Skywalker because she chooses her own destiny, she just realized she had been caught trespassing at Skywalker Farm and didn't want that old lady to call the cops!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Space fuel is probably whatever the Knights of Ren kept burning to leave smoke behind their spaceship

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This screenplay had a real case of "Palpatine's plan that makes no sense 100% makes sense, you're just going to have to trust us on this one".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m fine with them ditching trilogies. I mean unless the movie earns it. That’s how Star Wars started out anyway

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Not really. From the first time we meet her it's clear she's special, it's emphasized over and over how auspicious her destiny is and much natural strength she has. It's honestly emphasized with her more than it was for Anakin or Luke. The Johnson interpretation of that just makes it inexplicable, it doesn't send a message of finding one's own place, it simply removes any baggage or expectations of what she "should" be, besides the Force itself expecting her to be great. The fact that there were thousands of people who could use the Force in the prequels, and the fact that in the original trilogy the day is ultimately not won with Force powers but with a coalition of different people fighting to take down the Empire, including people who are looked down on like Ewoks and robots(even Anakin and Luke don't actually win by dint of Force powers, but by their bond and recognition of each other's humanity) sends a message that being blessed with some special talent isn't the only important thing far more than version of her journey does. I don't really understand where this perception even came from, Anakin's specialness was more of a burden that made every faction want to use him and his kids for their own ends, it never sent the message that you have to be Skywalkers to be important, or even that being a Skywalker instantly makes you better than anyone else.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Onmi posted:

As dumb as it is to weigh in, I am going to point this out.

The fear of there being a spy and keeping the minimal amount of people informed of the plan at large to minimize the chance of it loving up? That's pretty reasonable. What's not reasonable is after it's become clear that the panic is spreading on the ship, and a figure like Poe, who the crew respects, is near screaming for the knowledge at the very least that there IS a plan that there's something beyond slowly dying.

After all, Poe's still a CO, he didn't get formally discharged, Leia only intended to do so. I mean another option would be to tell Poe a fake plan, one that isn't true, but gives him faith. Literally by the end all he's begging for is the knowledge that there IS a plan. I mean hell, if it is a security concern, "There's a plan, but I can't tell you. Not because I necessarily don't trust you, but because we're responsible for everyone here, if I can keep them safe by hiding the truth, then that's what I have to do."
(Bolding mine)

Thank you for this. I was going crazy at reading people who had clearly forgotten the events of the movie completely glossing over this. I just rewatched TLJ yesterday and it is an hour before she's even willing to mention that there is a plan. All the times she dodged the question "Is there a plan?" made her eventual reassurance that there was a plan seem like bullshit. The mutiny happens right after.

She had every reason to keep what the plan was between her and Leia. She also had every reason to believe a hot head like Poe would try to execute his own half baked and poorly thought out plan. He did that exact thing at the start of the movie!* Simply saying "Leia and I have a plan but we must keep it secret until we can execute it" would have prevented A LOT of problems for the rebels.

Speaking of Holdo and Leia, I think that TLJ made a pretty big mistake by having Holdo in that position instead of Leia. How often does Leia get to do something cool in the franchise without being in the shadow of Luke or Han? Leia going out by doing the suicide attack would have ruled. Hell, she'd have overshadowed Luke! Instead that moment went to a character who seemed to exist just to make sure Leia's death was saved for episode 9.

The one time it does look like Leia is gonna do something is when they're chasing the crystal foxes to get out of the cave. There is an exit that is blocked by a bunch of loose rocks. Does the force sensitive Skywalker use the force to move the rocks out of the way? No, she stares at the rocks helplessly until Rey shows up to move them for her.

God it pisses me off how little Leia gets to do in the franchise.

*can't believe this dude was made a general in episode 9

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I gotta say, somehow Adam Driver made me root for him when he turned good. He carried himself like a hero with his body language and facial acting alone once he showed up on lightning planet. He's a drat fine actor.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting that final scene. Rey wasn't taking up the Skywalker because she chooses her own destiny, she just realized she had been caught trespassing at Skywalker Farm and didn't want that old lady to call the cops!

:hmmyes:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Somebody, somewhere, must have had a guilty conscience when they put Rose Tico in a closet and barely let her out. Good lord.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I gotta say, somehow Adam Driver made me root for him when he turned good. He carried himself like a hero with his body language and facial acting alone once he showed up on lightning planet. He's a drat fine actor.

Watch Marriage Story on Netflix. He and Scarlett Johansson do really really good work.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Quantum Shart posted:

I mean the point was to paint Poe as too up his own arse to believe in the plan, Holdo is Space Jesus and Poe is her Judas, he knows better cause don't you know who he is. His characterisation is even worse in TROS cause even though he did all that in TLS he still gives lip to Rey, he's a shitbag.

The point is that they all gently caress up! Everyone in the movie fucks up!

Poe fucks up by acting on impulse after being given bad tummyfeels by a new leader he doesn't know.
Holdo fucks up by being either too paranoid about leaks or too unconfident in her plan to tell anyone about it, fomenting distrust(no way would Poe have been able to mutiny if he was the only person upset at being out of the loop).
Finn and Rose gently caress up by failing to get the master codebreaker they need and instead bringing along some creepy guy they met in jail, and taking calls where Poe relays critical information on speakerphone with the creepy guy in the room.
Luke hosed up by reacting in fear to the darkness within Ben, and then by running off to an island to wallow in his self-loathing.
Rey fucks up by wanting to be wanted too much to realise she's being played first by Snoke and then by Kylo.
Snoke fucks up by not underestimating how much Kylo hates him and overestimating his own ability to read people's feelings.
Kylo fucks up by letting his hatred of Luke distract him from his goal of eliminating the rebels at a critical moment.

It's like in a tragedy! The good guys make bad decisions and the only reason they don't all die as a result is that the bad guys make bad decisions too.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

When he pulled the lightsaber out of thin air in the middle of the fight with the knights, he had a smug little moment that was peak Solo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
REY: People said you were too selfish to be a Jedi. And I can’t believe I loving defended you.
REN: You used me to leave Kef Bir, and you hated me for it!! You’re playing that innocent little Jedi act, as a strategy, and you’re loving winning!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Beeez posted:

The Force seems way more proactive in this trilogy, yeah. Even with this whole Palpatine reveal, JJ really hasn't explained Anakin's lightsaber behaving the way it did at the Kanata Cantina, when in the first six movies it was some family heirloom that had been used to slaughter kids, not Excalibur.

I prefer this interpretation, which is reinforced in Rogue One - the Force will push you towards a certain outcome and even help you in small measures as long as you are doing what it wants (facilitating the hero's storyline) and then as soon as you've done that you're on your own (and probably going to die).

Beeez posted:

Not really. From the first time we meet her it's clear she's special, it's emphasized over and over how auspicious her destiny is and much natural strength she has. It's honestly emphasized with her more than it was for Anakin or Luke. The Johnson interpretation of that just makes it inexplicable, it doesn't send a message of finding one's own place, it simply removes any baggage or expectations of what she "should" be, besides the Force itself expecting her to be great. The fact that there were thousands of people who could use the Force in the prequels, and the fact that in the original trilogy the day is ultimately not won with Force powers but with a coalition of different people fighting to take down the Empire, including people who are looked down on like Ewoks and robots(even Anakin and Luke don't actually win by dint of Force powers, but by their bond and recognition of each other's humanity) sends a message that being blessed with some special talent isn't the only important thing far more than version of her journey does. I don't really understand where this perception even came from, Anakin's specialness was more of a burden that made every faction want to use him and his kids for their own ends, it never sent the message that you have to be Skywalkers to be important, or even that being a Skywalker instantly makes you better than anyone else.

There's no small measure of wink wink nudge nudge poo poo from Han and Leia about how "special" Rey is in TFA and also Snoke seemingly knows who she is when Kylo tells him about her ability to resist his Force interrogation. She was never set up to be nobody and I have no idea why Rian Johnson was allowed to run with that. Not just Kylo telling her that, but the dark side cave thing confirming it.

Kylo only works because Adam Driver is a great actor. Despite where they go with him, Kylo is awesome in TFA - obviously conflicted but also crazy strong, dangerous as gently caress, and barely in control. If it has been a less talented actor the character would basically be as poorly received as prequel Anakin.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's amazing that Abrams just *could not* let any action leave any lasting consequence. You actually might give Rey some pathos if she accidentally killed Chewbacca - oh poo poo nevermind, he's alive. Oh man! C-3PO has to make the ultimate sacrifice to keep our heroes on the path- oh poo poo oh no, he's got his memories back, no worries. Rey kills Kylo Ren in anger! That should be a bad thing, oh wait oh no nevermind she heals him back up just minutes later.

Good fuckin god dude.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

When he pulled the lightsaber out of thin air in the middle of the fight with the knights, he had a smug little moment that was peak Solo.

yeah that was the only time i thought oh right this guy is han solos kid

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Couple things now that I’ve almost woken up:

- I stand by my initial reaction that this was by no means a great movie, but they did the best they could after having written themselves into a corner and I was happy with it.

- A huge problem was the abundance of nothing characters. Maz, Rose, Jarrah, and unfortunately even :regd10: did absolutely nothing to advance the plot (I guess maybe Jarrah gave them parts to fix the Falcon but they could have just written it so the Falcon didn’t crash, and DO knew about Rey’s parents getting stabbed but Rey figured that out herself). I get that a lot of it was just because they had to have Rose and Maz in it but didn’t have anything to do, so they just gave them unimportant lines, but ugh.

- Leia was handled perfectly. I was hyper aware that we were seeing old unused footage and I kept expecting it to take me out of the moment, but it didn’t happen. Props to the editing team.

- Got really loving tired of Kylo death fakeouts by like the third or fourth one. Jesus Christ JJ.

- What happened to all that bullshit about “John Williams used every Star Wars theme ever in this movie”? Literally nothing from the prequels was in it.

- One of the hugest things in TLJ (among many) that bothered the piss out of me was the textbook Checkov’s gun of showing us Luke’s X-Wing in the water and then never using it. I was so relieved to see him lift it out.

Going back and reading the spoilers from October it does sound like a profoundly stupid mess, but overall I thought it tied things together in an inevitably mediocre but satisfying fashion.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mike N Eich posted:

It's amazing that Abrams just *could not* let any action leave any lasting consequence. You actually might give Rey some pathos if she accidentally killed Chewbacca - oh poo poo nevermind, he's alive. Oh man! C-3PO has to make the ultimate sacrifice to keep our heroes on the path- oh poo poo oh no, he's got his memories back, no worries. Rey kills Kylo Ren in anger! That should be a bad thing, oh wait oh no nevermind she heals him back up just minutes later.

Good fuckin god dude.

If Rey had killed Chewie she'd be dead to fans. You cant have a character that's only semi liked by many and hated by some kill off a beloved character from the OT. As soon as it happened I was shocked then reality hit me and I realised nah they would be too afraid to do that he's alive somehow.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Speaking of the Knights of Ren what the gently caress was the point of them?

Like who were they? Why did they have lovely axes and maces? Why did they even exist?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hazo posted:

- One of the hugest things in TLJ (among many) that bothered the piss out of me was the textbook Checkov’s gun of showing us Luke’s X-Wing in the water and then never using it. I was so relieved to see him lift it out.

Yeah it’s very cool to see a freshwater ocean where a loving spaceship can rest underwater for years and just get pulled with absolutely no damage to anything. Real loving cool and not loving bullshit like everything else in this orgy of nostalgia.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like who were they? Why did they have lovely axes and maces? Why did they even exist?

The answer you seek is thoroughly documented here

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Also dick move attacking the dude you're literally named after.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yea they loving sucked. When they were first teased I thought oh cool they're some ex students from the academy that he turned or at least some badass henchmen he employs. Instead we get lovely nobodies who look like they grabbed whatever scrap they could find from the local dump. They served no purpose except to be killed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

to sell toys, I presume, but I'm not sure they even have that many

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

qbert posted:

Also dick move attacking the dude you're literally named after.

i always thought he got his name from the group, like all the other ones also have ren in their names

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Knights of Ren: Stimpy, you eediot.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah it’s very cool to see a freshwater ocean where a loving spaceship can rest underwater for years and just get pulled with absolutely no damage to anything. Real loving cool and not loving bullshit like everything else in this orgy of nostalgia.
With all the crazy tech and alien environments in the Star Wars universe, I’m not gonna obsess about this (the Jedi hunter ship was in the loving desert for longer than Luke’s ship was underwater and it fired up just fine). All I was mad about was that they could have just not showed the drat thing in TLJ like it was meaningful.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Star Wars

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the dead speak!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

cuntman.net posted:

i always thought he got his name from the group, like all the other ones also have ren in their names

That could be true. Aren't they the other kids he ran away with from Luke's school? I just assumed they all joined his gang and were like his minions or something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hazo posted:

With all the crazy tech and alien environments in the Star Wars universe, I’m not gonna obsess about this (the Jedi hunter ship was in the loving desert for longer than Luke’s ship was underwater and it fired up just fine).

Honestly, you’re right. One thing that has forever bothered me about Star Wars is the complete lack of spacesuits or acknowledging that you’re flying through loving space. The ships never lose pressure, there’s never a worry of having to be out in space for repairs or anything. And even on the one instance of this happening, Leia just flies back lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

Yeah I was against any Kylo redemption from the start then Driver has him rolling up looking all badass and giving these little smiles and smirks and I'm like, "Well drat this guy rules."