Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ambaire posted:

So I just spent 30 minutes on the MGS wiki looking up stuff, and here's where I went wrong: I had assumed MGS5 was a spiritual sequel, and not a literal sequel that required knowledge of the other games to have the slightest idea of what was going on in 5. Now that I actually have an idea of what was going on, I can see how the stuff fit, and I think I'm gonna give it another try.

You're in roughly the position I was, wrt MGS experience when I first played it. The big thing I recommend, play until you get the ability to do your missions by going on jeep trips with your dog buddy riding along, kidnapping all your enemies by balloon. That was how I was sold on it, and I promised myself to play until I hit that point. It was enough to push through some (admittedly large) issues along the way and realize I downright loved it despite them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

You're in roughly the position I was, wrt MGS experience when I first played it. The big thing I recommend, play until you get the ability to do your missions by going on jeep trips with your dog buddy riding along, kidnapping all your enemies by balloon. That was how I was sold on it, and I promised myself to play until I hit that point. It was enough to push through some (admittedly large) issues along the way and realize I downright loved it despite them.

Yeah, despite its well-documented shortcomings which regularly pop up in this very thread and (arguably) semi-unfinished state it was left to, it still somehow manages to be one of the best games released for the PS3/XBOX 360 generation. Just don't think too much about the story and get a guide for the first tennish missions until the second map in Africa opens up.

EDIT: Or if you do not find any sane guide, grind until you get the first RPG launcher before you do the "beehive" mission. gently caress up that copter and in the last part, just call your horse and run away from the base. Others are more or less tolerable going in blind.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Dec 19, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I never unlocked the Tennis Missions :(

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I never unlocked the Tennis Missions :(

Do you blame your shelf?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ambaire posted:

And here's a few snippets of why exactly I think that hospital intro was so loving stupid.

The lady assassin spends loving forever lining up a shot with the pistol when she could have taken a quick shot and ended it. Artificial stupidity to tell a 'story'. Then when she gets over by the wall, she just stands there while the other guy throws stuff instead of taking quick action. More Artificial stupidity and/or Idiot balls.

Let's not even talk about the idiotic soldiers who've never heard of looking under stuff or getting on the floor and sweeping the area. There's at least 3 or 4 times or more where the protagonist would have died a quick death if not for the Artificial stupidity imposed upon the opposing force by hideo kojima. When the patient was grabbing onto Snake under the bed, the soldier just did something with the patient and ignored under the bed and his foot should've been visible... In the room with curtains, if one of them had just ducked on the ground, it would've been over.

And then when the soldiers are sweeping the hallway and snake and the other guy are pretending to be dead and the soldiers are shooting each to ensure they're dead, why the gently caress didn't they gun down Snake when he was obviously not dead.

And the supernatural enemies are fed even more idiot balls / artificial stupidity, disposing of the soldiers efficiently but taunting Snake/etc instead of killing them, too?

And the chopper just fired a missile above the tunnel and didn't follow the van to the other side of the tunnel.. I've played helicopter sims, I know how maneuverable they are, and it could easily have strafed to the other side and blown the van the gently caress up after it took the tumble.

And then with the loving horse chase, the fire guy had a loving winged horse but went on the ground like whyyyy.

Hideo Kojima seems addicted to narrow 'escapes'... by about 2/3 of the way through the hospital, it was honestly getting boring. "What stupidity is he going to inflict upon the enemies this time", etc.

Did you know you can beat this whole sequence by holding forward occasionally? that's all the gameplay required until the shooting starts, which is about 10 minutes left of the entire ordeal. You've spent far more time bitching about it than playing it, and hilariously, you missed out on the entire part of one of the most fun games released this generation.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Dec 19, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Olaf The Stout posted:

Did you know you can beat this whole sequence by holding forward occasionally? that's all the gameplay required until the shooting starts, which is about 10 minutes left of the entire ordeal. You've spent far more time bitching about it than playing it, and hilariously, you missed out on the entire part of one of the most fun games released this generation.

This is the PYF Little Things Dragging This Game Down thread, correct? I was unaware you considered it to be the Lambast Others For Posting Stuff According To The Thread Title.

Also, you took that post completely out of context with the other posts on that page. If you'd actually read them all, you'd have known I'd completed that sequence and the first mission after it.

edit:

Werong Bustope posted:

If you want to get a feel for the series - and Phantom Pain is 100% the least OTT and crazy of the lot, in many ways - you can't go wrong with watching Chip & Ironicus' LP of MGS3. It's a pretty good crash course in Metal Gear insanity from the ridiculously convoluted plots to the verbose musings on the nature of war, to the demented level of attention to detail and weird poo poo you can do.

But yeah, I don't think there was ever any indication that PP isn't a mainline plot game? It follows on pretty directly from Ground Zeroes. It's not a bad entry point for the series in all honesty, the plot is kind of silo'd off for much of the game and is about 4 steps less insane than usual even when you know all the backstory (and...frontstory? PP is a midquel) so it's more accessible for newcomers to the series who might enjoy the central gameplay loop, so long as they can make it through the poorly thought through intro.

If I do have a single big criticism of Phantom Pain, having played it through, other than the fact it's depressingly unfinished, it's that it's not insane enough for a metal gear game. You're gonna give me a whole game of hanging out with Ocelot and he's like...passingly sane? And low-key? Excuse me? I mean, I guess there are plot reasons why he's less Ocelot than normal but still, disappointing. He barely even hits on Big Boss once :saddowns:

Thank you for suggesting this. I found the let's play of it and this is the most hilarious stuff I've ever seen. Watching Snake stomp Ocelot and his team of baddies was very satisfying.

Ambaire has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Dec 19, 2019

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Honestly the less you know of mgs before you play 5 the better, because otherwise you just recognise that the narrative and set pieces are largely repeats from the previous games (especially 4) but with a find & replace of nanomachines with metallic archea or vocal cord parasites

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Werong Bustope posted:

This is also true. MGS3 was my first entry into the series and while it's more self contained than the others, there's a lot that just washes over you if you don't know all the established lore but it never really matters. What was interesting with PP for me was how many of my friends who'd never played a Metal Gear game before ended up loving it despite having no clue why anything was happening or who anyone was. There's only really three things you actually need to know about any given Metal Gear Solid game, unless you're a big nerd for the setting:

1) War is bad
2) Butts are good
3) box friend

If anyone is interested, Dunkey recently made a Metal Gear Solid video that actually does an incredible job of laying out the entire plotline of the entire series in about 7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLiLRVeaZA

Also of note, I believe Metal Gear Solid is the longest-running story in videogame history, that's never been rebooted and is all part of the same consistent universe. MGSV: TPP has sequences, explanations, and references to Metal Gear, the 1987 NES game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Ambaire posted:

This is the PYF Little Things Dragging This Game Down thread, correct? I was unaware you considered it to be the Lambast Others For Posting Stuff According To The Thread Title.

Also, you took that post completely out of context with the other posts on that page. If you'd actually read them all, you'd have known I'd completed that sequence and the first mission after it.

edit:

Thank you for suggesting this. I found the let's play of it and this is the most hilarious stuff I've ever seen. Watching Snake stomp Ocelot and his team of baddies was very satisfying.

Oh i read that you couldn't figure out how to ride away on a horse in another mission also despite having 2000+ hours in Big Brain Video Games.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Dec 19, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oh my god this thread has become the longest and dumbest codec conversation

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Codec conversation?!?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"It's Skull Face, Snake...he's trying to drag this game down!"
"...?!"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ambaire posted:

:ocelot: It really is a top notch LP, have fun!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

im pooping! posted:

its difficult enough to understand even if you have played all the others. for a series that aged poorly i can only imagine reading what must be a total cf of a wiki synopsis may be a significant hurdle to playing them out of sequence. i will recommend chip and ironicus LPs because they are cool and good.

The plot's actually pretty simple to get caught up on and makes perfect sense. This is all you need: https://youtu.be/aaLiLRVeaZA

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The other thread mentioned GTA4 and it reminded me of the massive amounts of ludonarrative dissonance that game gave me.

Cutscene Nico waxes on and on about not being a bad guy and he’s only doing these evil things for the money and as a necessity, but as a player I had over 100 grand in the bank, multiple properties, and would drive on the sidewalk for miles only to go right back into another cutscene where Nico laments having to perform violent acts.

That’s why I liked Tommy the most, he knew what he was and the story never tried to make him out as some tortured soul.

Though it is a very delicate balance because I absolutely hated Trevor, but that was also attributed to all of his ‘lol monkey cheese’ random poo poo he would pull.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

is it ludonarrative dissonance or is it nico lying to himself about his motivations the same way walter white does in breaking bad?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

"It's Skull Face, Snake...he's trying to drag this game down!"
"...?!"

Drag it down!?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Drag it down!?

Dragging it down is a tactical move where the object in general shitposts or hinders the topic or story enough so that the entire product and/or service suffers from the level of non-relevant stupid poo poo usually making it unappealing for the general audience. But surely you Rat know enough about this action but in case you need to redo this action, click reply or post and write a message to this codec conversation-based thread about games and or their components, which drag you down.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

It would have to get a lot longer and a whole lot dumber to match the B & B Corps stories.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ambaire posted:

Well, he's got us there.

TBH, I've heard a LOT about the hospital section and just how long it takes to get into the meat of the game that it's led me to putting off playing it as well, similar to some of the things I've heard about the methodical nature of RDR2, so thanks for saving me some time, thread.

But how come you can't beat the hospital/horse chase thing, hard save and then load replays from there? Is it just one save slot or does it have to do with NG+ and having a bunch of cool poo poo you've unlocked?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

BiggerBoat posted:

TBH, I've heard a LOT about the hospital section and just how long it takes to get into the meat of the game that it's led me to putting off playing it as well, similar to some of the things I've heard about the methodical nature of RDR2, so thanks for saving me some time, thread.

But how come you can't beat the hospital/horse chase thing, hard save and then load replays from there? Is it just one save slot or does it have to do with NG+ and having a bunch of cool poo poo you've unlocked?

Seems to be only one save slot (which is a serious detriment if one is worried about the possibility of save file corruption and losing potentially dozens / hundreds of hours to no fault of ones own) but some googling found a MGSV Save Manager on GitHub which should alleviate that concern.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

moosecow333 posted:

The other thread mentioned GTA4 and it reminded me of the massive amounts of ludonarrative dissonance that game gave me.

Cutscene Nico waxes on and on about not being a bad guy and he’s only doing these evil things for the money and as a necessity, but as a player I had over 100 grand in the bank, multiple properties, and would drive on the sidewalk for miles only to go right back into another cutscene where Nico laments having to perform violent acts.

That’s why I liked Tommy the most, he knew what he was and the story never tried to make him out as some tortured soul.

Though it is a very delicate balance because I absolutely hated Trevor, but that was also attributed to all of his ‘lol monkey cheese’ random poo poo he would pull.

This bugged me, but what really killed GTA4 for me was playing it straight after saints row 2, and having like 5 total outfits to pick from. I know that sounds weird, but the clothing system from SR2 kinda ruined me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The best part of GTA V is when five hours in you drop the game and play Yakuza 0 instead.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GTA 4 is Vice City and 5 is San Andreas.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

One More Fat Nerd posted:

This bugged me, but what really killed GTA4 for me was playing it straight after saints row 2, and having like 5 total outfits to pick from. I know that sounds weird, but the clothing system from SR2 kinda ruined me.

SR2 (and 3) completely ruined GTA for me. Saint's Row is a increasingly silly and sophomoric series but they know how to have fun. British society has only really reached cargo cult levels of comprehension of the concept of "fun", and it primarily manifests by putting the sex number everywhere in the background of a dry, tiresome diatribe about the human cost of violence that you're mechanically required to inflict.

Saint's Row has you blast liquid poo poo at fancy houses for money.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

GTA 4 is Vice City and 5 is San Andreas.

Where does GTA London 1961 fit in?

Edit: oh poo poo there were two in London? 1969 and 1961

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

Saint's Row has you blast liquid poo poo at fancy houses for money a communist French mime..

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

the clothing system from SR2 kinda ruined me.
No game before or since has been a better shopping/dressup simulator than Saints Row 2. The variety of clothes and the ability to combine them in different ways and wear them differently is just fantastic, and then there's all the unique shops - some of which are hidden away in places you won't find until late in the game so there's always more to discover.

Riatsala posted:

British society has only really reached cargo cult levels of comprehension of the concept of "fun", and it primarily manifests by putting the sex number everywhere in the background of a dry, tiresome diatribe about the human cost of violence that you're mechanically required to inflict.
Since when is GTA synonymous with British society?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GTA isn't synonymous with British society. It's just stupid about American society in all the ways Judge Dredd isn't.

Oi mate? Mate. Djou know in the colonies People isn't a jazz rag? Swear on me mum. Anyway sort through these adverts and see if any of the yank consumer goods sound like sex words, there's a lad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

...it's the fifth one. It's got the number 5 in its name.

It's a direct sequel to the non-numbered sequel to Metal Gear Solid 3, and a direct prequel to Metal Gear. Which means, canonically speaking, it's the third game in the series if I'm not missing any (I think portable ops is non-canon?). Sequels are crazy.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The best part of GTA V is when five hours in you drop the game and play Yakuza 0 instead.

Sleeping Dogs is also acceptable. Yakuza 0 is real good though, arguably too good because every hour I spent playing Kiwami and Kiwami 2 I kind of wished I was playing 0 for the first time instead because 0 is really, really good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought Metal Gear POOPS was canon except for the bits that were contradicted and retconned.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought Metal Gear POOPS was canon except for the bits that were contradicted and retconned.

It's like one cutscene and you can just regularly shower to avoid it

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So uh, I got morbidly curious and googled that and what the gently caress, this is actually a MGS5 gameplay mechanic?!? Although I think it belongs in PYF little things in games thread instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AqjlWa7uUo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hah I had no idea that was in V, I was just repeating a joke about POrtable OPS' name.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Ambaire posted:

So uh, I got morbidly curious and googled that and what the gently caress, this is actually a MGS5 gameplay mechanic?!? Although I think it belongs in PYF little things in games thread instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AqjlWa7uUo

For sure, you can tell your horse to poo poo wherever it is standing (But only if it trusts you) in the road and enemies can run over the poo poo and wipe the gently caress out.

The hospital bitching is the most overrated bitching in forever, it's a playable cutscene in a MGS game and it's over forever in 45 minutes and it's impossible to fail. If you're on somethingawful in 2019 you've logged thousands of hours of videogames in your life jesus loving christ.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiggum posted:

No game before or since has been a better shopping/dressup simulator than Saints Row 2. The variety of clothes and the ability to combine them in different ways and wear them differently is just fantastic

It's great, but WWE games are one step above it.

Having those options in a real game would be nice.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Olaf The Stout posted:

it's over forever in 45 minutes

Other than the second time you have to do it. And any other times, if you want to replay the game (because for some reason 5 doesn't have a NG+ option)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Giving the Witcher 3 another try. The game is visually hideous. The world looks ok but the npcs are so janky and ugly, they don't seem to belong in it. They look like CPR dummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JackSplater posted:

Other than the second time you have to do it. And any other times, if you want to replay the game (because for some reason 5 doesn't have a NG+ option)

Yup. I'd like to give it a replay, but I can't bring myself to sit through all the stuff it takes to get to the game I want to play. If ever a game needed a NG+ option, it was this one.