Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Roping your opponent might not be cool, but you know what is super cool? Holding down the Control Key when you lob a lethal burn spell at someone's head while they are tapped out. The card hovers so they can get a real good look, it's like a digital mic drop. And the opponent has the power to concede at any point, but they NEVER do. They will just sit there looking at the card until the rope runs out and they die. I thought maybe it isn't visible to them, but it is; I've seen them mouse over to highlight it. So it's their own drat fault they're getting stalled at that point.

That’ll show em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Actually the latest update removes the concede option when you are facing lethal with no available responses. So yeah you're just being a dick.

What the gently caress? Are you sure about that? The client actually goes and calculates lethal? Why would they do that? It's WotC being dicks then lol

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Which begs the question of why you'd do it but eh, magic the gathering

"I am le champion auteur, now I will wave my magic wand for my next trick of sitting here"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Zero VGS posted:

What the gently caress? Are you sure about that? The client actually goes and calculates lethal? Why would they do that? It's WotC being dicks then lol

And also you, the reason people don't like playing strangers on the internet

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Seriously, there are only a few things worse than a sore loser on Arena, and a sore winner is one of them.

Congrats.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

And also you, the reason people don't like playing strangers on the internet

Hey, teaching people how to use the concede button is a valuable public service, I didn't realize WotC went out of their way to remove opportunities to use it. hosed up if true.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

“Actually I’m being an rear end in a top hat to teach them a valuable lesson!”

-some loving moron

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Playing against strangers rules because they don't get wise to your stupid gimmick deck and walk into the combo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are only ever three conversations in this thread and this is certainly one of them.

*ropes vengefully*

Thread: Ah gently caress, I can't believe you've done this

https://twitter.com/nickvaldeezy/status/1207171241343377408

The most fun deck I played last season was deezy's Mardu Doom deck, this drops the red splash for straightforward discard and it's pretty fun.

One more thing, I'd like to plug mtgazone.com, unlike most MtG sites it's arena focused and updates regularly with new decklists as well as guides for archetypes, and they are also a great clearinghouse for patch info, spoilers, and other game news. ChannelFireball is great but they devote most of their stuff to paper and formats we can't play in arena. The site has improved greatly since I first came across it and I'd encourage dishonorable netdeckers like myself to check it out.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 20, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Have you considered that I am the only moral MTGA player in the world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Argas posted:

Have you considered that I am the only moral MTGA player in the world.

I have, quite carefully, and come to the conclusion that you aren't.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

apparently reading all 4 words was too much for my opponent

their name had a _sa at the end of it so i cropped it out in case they're a goon and want to hide their shame

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

apparently reading all 4 words was too much for my opponent

their name had a _sa at the end of it so i cropped it out in case they're a goon and want to hide their shame

They probably didn't realize Garenbrig Paladin was a Giant. It's pretty easy to forget and there's only a few giants in the set anyway.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Lol I thought my black/red draft deck was pretty okay. Went 0-3 and my last two losses were from opponents that were able to play turn 4 embercleaves.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Look Around You posted:

They probably didn't realize Garenbrig Paladin was a Giant. It's pretty easy to forget and there's only a few giants in the set anyway.

5 words then

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Lol I thought my black/red draft deck was pretty okay. Went 0-3 and my last two losses were from opponents that were able to play turn 4 embercleaves.

show us the deck

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lone Goat posted:

show us the deck

Is there a way to view it after the rounds?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Is there a way to view it after the rounds?

don't think so, but i was hoping you'd used 17lands

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Look Around You posted:

Well, even as such, it's kind of a punt either way. Unless I'm reading wrong, goat has no cards in hand and (you guys can't see) his opponent has two.

He should have just played the giant, which I don't think can be feasibly removed by green with one card AND then go in for the kill. And if goat does anything except equip and swing with halberd, it's likely the 8/7 vigilant giant remains alive to be guidemothered into the air next turn for a full ten + 3 more from the fox.

And if goat halberds and the mythic giant dies, he's still in a better board position than wrathing away the fox and paladin even if that did work.

Sometimes it's best to not get too fancy.

Lone Goat posted:

show us the deck
Why would you ask someone to relive being murdered by Embercleave? You're a bad goat.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The calendar has updated to show WoS is the next side ranked format and there is a "standard shake up" at the end of the month. I don't remember them mentioning it, did I miss a news post?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Spiderdrake posted:

The calendar has updated to show WoS is the next side ranked format and there is a "standard shake up" at the end of the month. I don't remember them mentioning it, did I miss a news post?

It was in the patch notes

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks for the answers. I'm glad money can stretch in this game but I am a strict, strict F2P player at this point in my life haha

Yeah, just to reiterate, F2P is entirely possible and the game is pretty generous if you go that route. Draft is more efficient at building a collection if you're good at it (and it's possible to go infinite).

Constructed you'll be limited to 1-2 great decks per set most likely, but the season pass is pretty generous and easy to continue. I've completed the first two season passes and have more than enough gems for the next off a $20 investment, although that does require playing most days to max your XP and gold income. It's probably possible to go infinite with the passes in their current model if you prioritize gems early on, iirc the pass requires 3400 to buy, but the last 2 have given you 2000 gems through the course of it which means you only need 1400 more for the next one. Easily doable, even if you're bad at limited like me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

the mastery pass also gives you 10k gold which is the equivalent of 1500 gems in draft (two ranked entries) so that you're effectively getting 3500 gems for 3400 gems, and that's not including all the packs and single cards also included

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The mastery pass is a great deal (so far) and should be considered even for people who just want to F2P. As mentioned, if you progress enough to max out the gem rewards (which is level 86 this season) then the mastery pass only really costs 1400 gems. To put a dollar figure on it, if you buy the $20 gem pack, 1400 gems comes out to be around $8. With that, you'll get

20 packs
10k gold (another 10 packs potentially)
bunch of mythic/rare ICRs

if you max out the pass. This is well worth $8 over the course of 3 months in my opinion.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 20, 2019

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
After an afternoon of several 4+ Planeswalker running Fires decks, I'm not sure I even want to play this standard anymore.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BO3 and keep Elderspell in your SB?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sharing this from the other thread

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Today I realized that I haven't lived until I've had 4 mountains open attacking with a 3 counters Steamkin, it goes unblocked, I play Embercleave on it, then 2 Rimrock Knight pumps to attack for 18...with one Steamkin. It was glorious.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The only thing cooler is someone playing Embercleave on an unblocked Goblin Rabblemaster with like 5 goblins out

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

drainpipe posted:

The mastery pass is a great deal (so far) and should be considered even for people who just want to F2P. As mentioned, if you progress enough to max out the gem rewards (which is level 86 this season)

I bought gems just for the mastery pass and it is working out well so far. I only play a few Bo1 games per day, but I'm on track to hit the last gem reward for the pass about three weeks before it expires. I did buy the pass just a few days after the current set dropped, though. I would have been able to grind out all the XP needed if I had bought it halfway between set releases.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

sharing this from the other thread

I mean, yeah, I'd probably fall for this. :(

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

MikeCrotch posted:

The only thing cooler is someone playing Embercleave on an unblocked Goblin Rabblemaster with like 5 goblins out

I've wanted to play Embercleave Goblins in Pioneer for a while, because I can tell it just gets out of control even faster. I don't have the wildcards for Krenko but do have Legion Warboss, and it's still pretty explosive.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if anybody is looking for something different I've been having a lot of fun in bo1 with this esper dreadhorde deck and just reached diamond-

https://mtgazone.com/deck/esper-control-dreadhorde-by-after-office-ttv-10-mythic-throne-of-eldraine-season-2/

It's got decent game versus most of the aggro trash you see and I've done well against flash decks too. Most importantly it has the same kind of thrill that Mass Manipulation gives. You chump block endlessly or board wipe and then OOPS! dreadhorde back a pile of bell-haunts/charming princes and discard their whole hand, or refresh your own hand with guardmage, or just gain a ton of life, or bring back enemy creatures. I just beat a mardu knights deck that had played 3x revenge of ravens by returning a pile including their own corpse knights and pinging them for 9

Its a bo3 deck so I'm still playing with it, right now I'm playing with gideon, planar cleansings and kenrith over fblthyp, liliana and kaya. I would definitely at least add planar cleansing

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 21, 2019

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Yesssss baby made it to Mythic with Mono Red Bo3

https://imgur.com/MhbY1rV

How do I try to qualify for the Mythic Event?

turboraton fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 21, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

turboraton posted:

Yesssss baby made it to Mythic with Mono Red Bo3

https://imgur.com/MhbY1rV

How do I try to qualify for the Mythic Event?

Be in the Top 1200 when the season ends.

What's your sideboard plan against decks with board wipes?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My sideboard logic is always the same:

1) What is loving me?
2) What did I have in my hand that I wish I didn't

So against board wipes I remove all the legion warbosses and depending of the type of wipes I would remove either 3 Rimrock Knights or 3 of the 1mana goons. I put in all the planeswalker and try to morph into Big Red. As you can see, almost no one expects it. Now that I'm at Mythic I will go to the loving lab with the sideboards. I want to gun for that top 2000, whats the deadline?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How is Legion Warboss not the best card in your deck against Boardwipes? Don’t you immediately want multiple bodies to recoup after a wipe? That’s how all the pros use him in their board.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

How is Legion Warboss not the best card in your deck against Boardwipes? Don’t you immediately want multiple bodies to recoup after a wipe? That’s how all the pros use him in their board.

I guess that when they see me having so much creature aggro on Game 1, they just massively put board wipes and they just can't deal with the planeswalkers. I have found that Lil Chandra does it better for the same amount of mana and she is way more versatile. For 1 more mana Artisan Chandra will be a massive threat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know why I bother reporting people for roping. It's like wasting more of my time, although I guess I'm just shitposting here. But goddamn does MTGA need to drop the hammer on ropers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

5-1 in historic artisan with boros knights, losing only to a blue flash deck that managed to draw 15 more cards than I did over the course of the game.

Deck
3 Danitha Capashen, Paragon (DAR) 12
4 Skyknight Vanguard (M20) 218
4 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
4 Inspiring Veteran (ELD) 194
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
3 Skyknight Legionnaire (GRN) 198
4 Venerable Knight (ELD) 35
4 Weaselback Redcap (ELD) 148
4 Heroic Reinforcements (M19) 217
4 Ancestral Blade (M20) 3
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6