Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

qbert posted:

Seriously, how are people who go on and on about hating the "plot hole" of Holdo withholding info from Poe in TLJ gonna reconcile the massive plot vortexes of this film?

Palpatine alive? A million Super Death Stars?

They'll believe anything so long as it's said it happened offscreen because Disney marketing has poisoned their minds into thinking they can just fanfic in a reason for it later thatll make perfect sense. Honest

If there was just an interstitial "some time later" between holdos introduction and Poe leading a mutiny all these complaints would be gone. We can find out about the coups origins another time!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

hobbesmaster posted:

The movie makes way more sense if you just realize it’s an old EU novel/comic.

One that nobody liked too, for a multitude of reasons but chiefly Rehashing the OT set up by bringing the empire and Palpatine back, thus regressing the canon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lamo “regressing the canon”

What does that even mean.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The ships can’t fly without the control tower. Oh wait, yes they can. Oh wait, no they can’t

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Onmi posted:

Oh right. Everyone skips over what we learned Snoke did and how he corrupted Kylo. He was the Gardner at the Jedi temple who Luke scarred for "dome reason." And... That's it.

:getin:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Am I crazy or is the "jam the speeders" scene a direct Spaceballs reference. I'm pretty sure the consoles and character blocking are the same between both movies. I'll need to see stills of both to be 100%, but I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy and just seeing things. That's kind of great if for all the references/homages/ripoff scenes in this movie one of them was to Spaceballs.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hazo posted:

With all the crazy tech and alien environments in the Star Wars universe, I’m not gonna obsess about this (the Jedi hunter ship was in the loving desert for longer than Luke’s ship was underwater and it fired up just fine). All I was mad about was that they could have just not showed the drat thing in TLJ like it was meaningful.

wasn't it in the background of like a single shot

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

euphronius posted:

Lamo “regressing the canon”

What does that even mean.

Well The Empire is back as the Dominant threat and Sheev is back and the heroes are back to doing what they did in the OT. After a few years of the EU ya know... Not just doing the trilogy again. Dark Empires slick new idea was to gave Luke go under cover as Darth Luke and flirt with eeeeeeeeeevil.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mike N Eich posted:

Ren being unhinged and insecure doesn't make him less of a dangerous villain. There's interesting narrative space to play around with a villain like Ren who is given nearly unlimited power but is also unhappy and underconfident. It's maybe not a Star Wars thing they're comfortable playing around with though so they just gave him a new master.

Right, my hope (or at least my assumption) after the first one was that we were going to see Kylo and Rey grow in parallel through the rest of the trilogy until the final confrontation at the end. Instead, Rey continues to grow while Kylo just kind of shrivels to nothing. I guess this is what balance looks like.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Golden Bee posted:

The ships can’t fly without the control tower. Oh wait, yes they can. Oh wait, no they can’t

Wait I know that sound... they're rebooting the system! The thing we blew up will work again!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zoran posted:

For all that you’re trying to own people about your superior understanding of military command or whatever, the fact remains that Holdo took over command of an unfamiliar crew that appears to have been personally loyal to this hotshot starfighter commander, froze the dude out and refused to even reassure him that she did have an idea for how to protect their lives, and then faced a mutiny for it.

It's breathtakingly incompetent. And that’s not even getting into the other evidence presented within the film that Holdo's idea itself is nonsense.

One thing that bugged me is that "the Resistance" was some kind of splinter/shadow faction which, by the beginning of TLJ, consists of three capital ships and like a dozen fighters. When Holdo shows up the entire leadership has been exploded into space, which tbh calls into question the very idea of "chain of command". What is there to be "in command" of?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

Right, my hope (or at least my assumption) after the first one was that we were going to see Kylo and Rey grow in parallel through the rest of the trilogy until the final confrontation at the end. Instead, Rey continues to grow while Kylo just kind of shrivels to nothing. I guess this is what balance looks like.

They humiliated him too much to be the main villain. I know him not being Vader is deliberate but holy poo poo is he just a nerd by the time he turns good. At that point you're retiring Kylo rent just to escape the humiliation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the guy who does Chad Vader actually voices Darth Vader in a new-EU thing? Maybe the Phineas and Ferb crossover. Still the best thing to come out of Disney buying Star Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RIP Kylo, you almost won one fight against Rey there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

romanowski posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, Rey looks down at the water, the camera cuts to the ship, then cuts back to Rey, so it definitely focuses on it for a moment and makes you notice it.

fake edit: I just checked, and yeah, that's what happens, right after Rey fetches the lightsaber. I'd screenshot it, but apparently Netflix doesn't allow you to do that, somehow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Should have fallen into a coma and then die/disappear rather than double die.

Don’t even try to go for a triple death.

"Why did no one tell me that this woman's mother died of a loss of will to live? That's hereditary!"

Also, surprised no one's come in with a "if Leia had had Verizon she wouldn't have died making that long distance Force call."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In that movie is just signifies that Luke definitely was there to die and wasn’t leaving

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Was the giant slug guy someone we should know? He looked kind of familiar, maybe we've seen his species in the cartoons? Or in Monsters Inc?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Handsome Ralph posted:

. It was unnecessary and I don't buy for a minute the "TLJ wrote them into a corner!" argument on this one.

Hobo Clown posted:

The only corner they were written into in regards to Leia was not killing her off in TLJ. She should have had Holdo's role. Seasoned General and OT favorite up against new brash ST favorite and Han Solo analogue, ultimately sacrificing herself in a huge way to save the Rebellion she's always fought for.
This is the “writing into the corner” to which I was referring. And to be clear I would have been okay with letting her go in TLJ too. But if they wanted to spend a bunch of this movie honoring Carrie Fisher I’m okay with that because she ruled.

I also suspect that Leia was supposed to appear to Kylo on not-Endor and Ford voluntarily stepped in for her. He’s a miserable old man who hates Star Wars but he loved Carrie.

romanowski posted:

It was the center focus of a lingering shot that cut to it from Rey looking down at it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hazo posted:

I also suspect that Leia was supposed to appear to Kylo on not-Endor and Ford voluntarily stepped in for her. He’s a miserable old man who hates Star Wars but he loved Carrie.

I kind of doubt much of the script was even written yet when she died. But that scene was surprisingly effective, even if Harrison Ford didn't even bother to shave for it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

I kind of doubt much of the script was even written yet when she died. But that scene was surprisingly effective, even if Harrison Ford didn't even bother to shave for it.

I doubt he volunteered for it but I'm sure Carrie being dead made him go from "No, I only came back to kill Han off forever, gently caress off" to "I'll do it." when they came a knockin'

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

euphronius posted:

Oh no

Oh no . Wikipedia ...

Ugh. I thought this might happen but seeing it is just terrible. We're definitely getting a follow-up movie in a decade where Rey has to rescue Kylo from "force purgatory" so they can be married for real and get that Skywalker clan up and running again.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pollyanna posted:

After a night of sleep...

Yup, this is the crux of it. Popcorn movie. Star Wars doesn’t have a brain, it is not meant to be deep. Exactly what I thought it was.

Like, TROS cements Star Wars as mindless entertainment for me. I never believed that the movies were deep at all, even the original trilogy is just schlock. That’s what the loving series is, and always has been.

IOW blame Joseph Campbell

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hazo posted:

- One of the hugest things in TLJ (among many) that bothered the piss out of me was the textbook Checkov’s gun of showing us Luke’s X-Wing in the water and then never using it. I was so relieved to see him lift it out.

That Chekhov's Gun was actually fired in TLJ, when Luke says "I came here to die"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Carrie Fisher should’ve never been in any of these Disney sequels imo.

Also I don’t know what Daisy Ridley does after this. I hope Boyega finds work

I hope Boyega and Ridley get married

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mastershakeman posted:

Luke's xwing isn't a loving chekovs gun Jesus loving Christ

Ban all discussion of last Jedi forever, god damnit just bury it for good

I just want the skywalker saga to be over for good now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

That Chekhov's Gun was actually fired in TLJ, when Luke says "I came here to die"

Yeah I don't get the Chekhov thing with the X wing. The shot was to show that Luke disabled his ship to stay there.

You know the exact loving thing Rey did in the same scene

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm sorry if this has been brought up already but I have to ask.

Did JJ really just toss Kelli Marie Tran's character to the background AND give Finn a new girlfriend to appease lovely fanboys who harassed her off the internet?

Because gently caress JJ and this film if true.

Interacting with a woman doesn't mean instant girlfriend

But yes her being tossed to the background sucked

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

2house2fly posted:

Then don’t show the ship at all or show it as a smoldering wreck, like they did with Rey. Not fully intact waiting to be lifted out of the water by a guy who famously had a trial involving lifting that ship out of the water.

Onmi posted:

I doubt he volunteered for it but I'm sure Carrie being dead made him go from "No, I only came back to kill Han off forever, gently caress off" to "I'll do it." when they came a knockin'
:hmmyes:

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah about that.... so apparently one of the Sith destroyers flew away to blow up Zorri’s planet but the rest of them just... stayed behind? Did I miss an explanation for that one?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hobo Clown posted:

The only corner they were written into in regards to Leia was not killing her off in TLJ. She should have had Holdo's role. Seasoned General and OT favorite up against new brash ST favorite and Han Solo analogue, ultimately sacrificing herself in a huge way to save the Rebellion she's always fought for.

Yeah I felt like that was where they were going with it when I first watched TLJ (since this was well after Fisher had died) but surprise!

Hazo posted:

This is the “writing into the corner” to which I was referring. And to be clear I would have been okay with letting her go in TLJ too. But if they wanted to spend a bunch of this movie honoring Carrie Fisher I’m okay with that because she ruled.

It was the center focus of a lingering shot that cut to it from Rey looking down at it.

For the record, I love Carrie Fisher and I'm not arguing that she should have been killed off screen because I dislike her or her character. I just feel like this movie didn't do much to honor her other than "hey guys, she's still here, but in CGI form!" At least TLJ it felt like (if it wasn't) most of her scenes were filmed before she had died.

I agree with you about the Han stepping in for Carrie Fisher though, that makes sense.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Did JJ really just toss Kelli Marie Tran's character to the background AND give Finn a new girlfriend to appease lovely fanboys who harassed her off the internet?
I assumed that it was a setup for another secret siblings twist. Rhymes and all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hazo posted:

Then don’t show the ship at all or show it as a smoldering wreck. Not fully intact waiting to be lifted out of the water by a guy who famously had a trial involving lifting that ship out of the water.

:hmmyes:

Yeah about that.... so apparently one of the Sith destroyers flew away to blow up Zorri’s planet but the rest of them just... stayed behind? Did I miss an explanation for that one?

That one had all the travel data but forgot to beam it back because you can’t copy information in Star Wars

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That one had all the travel data but forgot to beam it back because you can’t copy information in Star Wars

Star Wars’ hosed up tech is one of the reasons taking it seriously sucks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The Rise of Skywalker is like if you took the Gil character from Simpsons and made him into a movie

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

Why did this movie keep introducing characters like halfway in? It’s like if Return of the Jedi introduced 4 characters equivalent to Lando a half hour into the movie.

Or like if in Revenge of the Sith, instead of Mace Windu fighting Palpatine it was some before now unseen Jedi named like Master Flibboo played by a famous actor.

Speaking of which, who the gently caress was Max von Sydow anyway?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mat Cauthon posted:

Ugh. I thought this might happen but seeing it is just terrible. We're definitely getting a follow-up movie in a decade where Rey has to rescue Kylo from "force purgatory" so they can be married for real and get that Skywalker clan up and running again.

Nah he can just force nut into her with his force ghost.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Golden idea for how they could have handled Carrie Fisher's death:

EPISODE IX: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
General Leia Organa has died...

Tracking down opening space shot show's Leia's space coffin being ceremoniously released to the stars as some character gives a speech about her. Reason for death mysterious, but Rey sees her as a silent force ghost leading her through breadcrumb-trail plot. Big ending twist where ultimately the bad guy is defeated using knowledge Leia willingly died to communicate

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

2house2fly posted:

Tracking down opening space shot show's Leia's space coffin being ceremoniously released to the stars as some character gives a speech about her. Reason for death mysterious, but Rey sees her as a silent force ghost leading her through breadcrumb-trail plot. Big ending twist where ultimately the bad guy is defeated using knowledge Leia willingly died to communicate

Literally "A grave appears" from Alan Dean Foster's fanfic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it's a shame that Rose's reduced role in the movie can be taken as capitulation to the ugly online response to her character, but at the same time, I don't think there was a single moment in this movie where I said to myself "boy, I sure wish Rose was around right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Mon Mothma, Jr.: "Many Skywalkers died to bring us this information."