Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Pick up the poseidon sword/hera bow and start with the artemis trinket, enjoy your free win

Some really good trinkets:

Trinkets are really strong and well worth your time (well maybe not Sisyphus). Purchase the trinket swapping thingy asap and get in the habit of swapping them through the run.

Going to have to disagree with you on this. Sisyphus does a few important things. 1: it's instant. With two of the others there's a windup time where enemies can move out of the way. Bouldy just drops instantly for 1k of damage. 2: It also drops food, gold, and darkness, so it's one of the only ways to heal mid boss fight. 3: I can't stress how funny the voice lines get when you drop a several ton metaphor of a boulder onto various bosses.

Zag: Bouldy?
Sisyphus: BOULDY!
Thesus three seconds before death: What, a... a Boulder!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lekon posted:

Going to have to disagree with you on this. Sisyphus does a few important things. 1: it's instant. With two of the others there's a windup time where enemies can move out of the way. Bouldy just drops instantly for 1k of damage. 2: It also drops food, gold, and darkness, so it's one of the only ways to heal mid boss fight. 3: I can't stress how funny the voice lines get when you drop a several ton metaphor of a boulder onto various bosses.

Zag: Bouldy?
Sisyphus: BOULDY!
Thesus three seconds before death: What, a... a Boulder!?

I'm guessing he's talking about the first Sisyphus keepsake that increases damage from falling pillars, not the legendary.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I was talking about trinkets, not summons.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012
Oh well then carry on. I forgot all about the trinket!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm gonna have to vouch for the Bone Hourglass as it's deceptively useful in that it lets you carry a bunch of the fairly powerful temporary effects into boss fights (and generally keep you topped off).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Broken Cog posted:

I'm gonna have to vouch for the Bone Hourglass as it's deceptively useful in that it lets you carry a bunch of the fairly powerful temporary effects into boss fights (and generally keep you topped off).

Yeah, if you're buying those temporary boons the hourglass is amazing value.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Got it on my 24th run. That Dionysus legendary was amazing and would've been even better if I had a way of applying poison other than my Call. Fortunately Proud Bearing let me start with my meter partially full, so everything in the satyr rooms was hitting F, triple-cast festive fog, and watch them immediately die.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah forgot after the hourglass, good point. It's a really good trinket, also great for players on fresh files who usually will be tight on money.

Got exclusive access (all future boons are at least epic) halfway through tartarus, then got all the poseidon talents except the +% loot. Also got the poseidon/zeus duo because why the hell not. And then I got +3 dashes from Hermes. I didn't use my weapon even once after the hydra lol

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I died on my first time leaving Elysium (chaos shield: easy mode?) reading Hades poo poo talking Dionysus at 10% health when I used my Call and my first thought was "he's going to be so loving smug about this."

Sadly(?) he was absent.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

I died on my first time leaving Elysium (chaos shield: easy mode?) reading Hades poo poo talking Dionysus at 10% health when I used my Call and my first thought was "he's going to be so loving smug about this."

Sadly(?) he was absent.

It's kind of a thing that Dad and Boy should not be seen to be fighting. We don't know exactly why it's happening, but Dad absolutely keeps it out of the records when he wins.

If you die to anything else or clear the game he'll be right back there.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Finally got my first win. Thanks to all who recommends Triple Bomb earlier. I've managed to get Rockets for my 2nd Hammer and pretty much melt face even with 0 +%Special damage (don't want Zeus/Dio flat damage boost) all the way to the end of the 3rd zone, where I finally get Athena's percentage boost & Chaos's boost as well. Final boss just got destroyed.

BTW, it's interesting that the "+12% Special speed" from Hermes boost the throwing speed so much. For example, without it, the Triple Bombs have a very noticeable delay between each throw (almost 1 sec), but with that boost, the delay is highly reduced to almost non-existant. I initially sold it just after zone 2, noticed the huge delay, and immediately Quit and reloaded.

Eraflure posted:

Pick up the poseidon sword/hera bow and start with the artemis trinket, enjoy your free win

Is Hera Bow really that good? Seems Poseidon Sword is just miles better since it boosts cast damage & immediately drops your ammo with just a Special, while Bow just front-loads your casts inside your shot without additional damage? So it's just 1 time, then you'll have to wait before you get to fire again.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012

srulz posted:

Is Hera Bow really that good? Seems Poseidon Sword is just miles better since it boosts cast damage & immediately drops your ammo with just a Special, while Bow just front-loads your casts inside your shot without additional damage? So it's just 1 time, then you'll have to wait before you get to fire again.

It's hard to explain how OP the Hera bow can be. Posideon aspect is a good one too, and a decently close second for a caster build. Thing is. with the bow there is no repeated casting animations. It's just all at once, and tops up on the arrow damage already. If you can get an Artemis build running, it's even more deadly as you'll have:
Double cast
Extra Ammo
A crit possible shot (Which does upwards of 200 on the cast)
Quicker crystal drop offs
Damage on crystal drop offs
Artemis laughing as she crits them.

Yeah, the bow's great, and probably my largest source of wins. It's a shame the Chiron bow isn't nearly as good. The "All special ammo hitting the same target" would be great, but each one doesn't proc spells, so it loses a lot of possible oomph.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Lekon posted:

It's hard to explain how OP the Hera bow can be. Posideon aspect is a good one too, and a decently close second for a caster build. Thing is. with the bow there is no repeated casting animations. It's just all at once, and tops up on the arrow damage already. If you can get an Artemis build running, it's even more deadly as you'll have:
Double cast
Extra Ammo
A crit possible shot (Which does upwards of 200 on the cast)
Quicker crystal drop offs
Damage on crystal drop offs
Artemis laughing as she crits them.

Yeah, the bow's great, and probably my largest source of wins. It's a shame the Chiron bow isn't nearly as good. The "All special ammo hitting the same target" would be great, but each one doesn't proc spells, so it loses a lot of possible oomph.

OK, that makes perfect sense to me, and get me all excited to start a Hera run now. Plus based on the way you put it, it seems that you don't really need to upgrade the aspect that much, which suits me just fine. Just wanted to try for all weapons clear now, using below aspects:

1. Hera's Bow (loads Cast + Cast drop)
2. Nemesis's Sword (%crit after Special)
3. Zagreus's Shield (%damage reduction)

For Spear, all of the aspects seem to be very underwhelming to me. Any recommendations?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The aspect that replaces the spear recall with a dash-to-spear is super good. It doesn't actually remove the spear-recall function, it just moves it to your attack button (and the old recall button becomes your special dash). You can throw through an enemy, then dash through them to repeat the damage (and re-proc whatever boon you put on your special), then quickly backstab them twice, before your damage buff wears off.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012
Just got a win, and after the finisher, Zag said "In the name of someone very sore right now."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hera + aphrodite cast + dionysus special + aphrodite/dionysus Low Tolerance was some fun. Remote shotgun, then rake them with the special for 8 stacks of poison.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 20, 2019

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Should I be saving my ambrosia? I haven't had any opportunity to use it, whatever that is. I figure it's like super-nectar, but haven't ever seen it be usable. Really tempted to trade it in for more blood.

Also, wooh, finally did my first clear on my 20th try with a poison bouncing doom spear build. Then I followed up with another clear on a bouncing doom shield build. Third was a spinny poison shield build. Now I'm trying to branch out from things that rely on doom, poison, and bouncing...

Had fun with a Poseidon Aspect homing barrage build, and I would've cleared if I didn't lose too much life on this stupid poo poo:

During the fight, at least 4 of my 7 bloodstones got stuck. I think out of all the mechanics in the game, casting could use a bit more love and QoL adjustments. For one, it would be nice to have a pointer for when they inevitably get thrown way off screen.

Another build I almost cleared with was an Exagryph Eris build that used the slowdown upgrade and dash blades. Got me through Elysium pretty well, but apparently I didn't have anything to stunlock the rear end in a top hat Styx mobs.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So, can someone explain the Hera aspect of the bow a little for me? I took it for a spin last night and, like, I beat the run so that's great and all, but I don't think I fully understand how it works and the description isn't very clear in the first place.

I get that it changes your cast so that you kinda shoot the spell with the bow instead of what it normally does. But sometimes it seemed the spell fires when the arrow hit something, and sometimes it just seemed to do it in mid-flight. I also don't get if loading multiple spells into it actually does anything - late in the run I had 7 spell ammo from a combination of Artemis and Chaos boons, but putting 7 blood thingies in there didn't seem to do 7 times the damage, and the number of crystals on the enemy's health bar seemed to vary drastically when I did it, from 1 to 4 (but never 7). I'd say what happened most often was a single crystal would appear on their healthbar, and X seconds later they would drop a single one on the field, which would replenish my entire stock when picked up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Should I be saving my ambrosia? I haven't had any opportunity to use it, whatever that is. I figure it's like super-nectar, but haven't ever seen it be usable. Really tempted to trade it in for more blood.

when you give someone enough nectar, you'll need entirely amborsia from that point on to advance their storyline

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

dmboogie posted:

when you give someone enough nectar, you'll need entirely amborsia from that point on to advance their storyline

Ah, I've been pretty stingy with my nectar.

So is this how you get Than to make out with me? If so, I know who's getting all my juice.

Is there any non-storyline benefit to it? Like that bottom row in the keepsake storage?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Is there any non-storyline benefit to it? Like that bottom row in the keepsake storage?

certain characters Than, Meg, Sisyphus, Skelley will give you an additional keepsake that grants you a powerful summon after you get their hearts high enough

presumably this will be the case for every character eventually, the others just arent done yet

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

certain characters Than, Meg, Sisyphus, Skelley will give you an additional keepsake that grants you a powerful summon after you get their hearts high enough

presumably this will be the case for every character eventually, the others just arent done yet

i think its only those 4 because you only get it for the characters you can romance

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

awesmoe posted:

i think its only those 4 because you only get it for the characters you can romance

i feel like theres gotta be planned rewards for every character otherwise letting you pour nectar into characters for no reward other than (cool) dialogue lines would be kinda rude imo

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

awesmoe posted:

...you can romance Skelly?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

...you can romance Skelly?

Less talking, more smacking!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Am I missing something, or are most of the bow Daedalus upgrades pretty meh? I've tried several of the attack modifiers, and none stick out to me as that powerful or opening up crazy synergies. The triple shot was especially awkward and disappointing.

Hera bow is pretty cool though.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

gandlethorpe posted:

Am I missing something, or are most of the bow Daedalus upgrades pretty meh? I've tried several of the attack modifiers, and none stick out to me as that powerful or opening up crazy synergies. The triple shot was especially awkward and disappointing.

The upgrade that gives +4 arrows to your special is pretty core to builds that use the second bow type that makes your arrow flurry all home in on whatever was last hit with a regular arrow.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Sniper mixed with perfect shot does great for me though granted I still haven't used the Hera aspect yet so the bonus damage might be moot if stacking casts is enough to just crush everything anyway.

Alternatively flurry attack and just play it like a infinite ammo rail and stack on hit effects lol.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Meiteron posted:

The upgrade that gives +4 arrows to your special is pretty core to builds that use the second bow type that makes your arrow flurry all home in on whatever was last hit with a regular arrow.

The special modifiers are ok. It's the three I've tried that alter the primary fire: Triple Shot, Twin Shot, Flurry. I haven't tried Explosive Shot yet, but that ones seems like it would combo well with Hera and an AoE cast.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Alternatively flurry attack and just play it like a infinite ammo rail and stack on hit effects lol.

I tried Flurry and the RoF was too slow for my taste :/

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So, can someone explain the Hera aspect of the bow a little for me? I took it for a spin last night and, like, I beat the run so that's great and all, but I don't think I fully understand how it works and the description isn't very clear in the first place.

I get that it changes your cast so that you kinda shoot the spell with the bow instead of what it normally does. But sometimes it seemed the spell fires when the arrow hit something, and sometimes it just seemed to do it in mid-flight. I also don't get if loading multiple spells into it actually does anything - late in the run I had 7 spell ammo from a combination of Artemis and Chaos boons, but putting 7 blood thingies in there didn't seem to do 7 times the damage, and the number of crystals on the enemy's health bar seemed to vary drastically when I did it, from 1 to 4 (but never 7). I'd say what happened most often was a single crystal would appear on their healthbar, and X seconds later they would drop a single one on the field, which would replenish my entire stock when picked up.

Hera aspect is very cool. Think about the implications of being able to simultaneously deliver all of your casts to a single location with great accuracy. Don't you think this might create some interesting possibilities for a god like... Oh I don't know... Ares?

SPOILER >>> LAST BOSS FIGHT: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mj6tn

Edit - To be clear, this is a gimmicky build and not one you could count on getting consistently, but it gives a good indication of what's possible with this aspect.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 20, 2019

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

gandlethorpe posted:

When I use the bow I typically go with the Hera aspect, which means that your arrows' direct damage is less important and are primarily a means to deliver Cast projectiles. So I'll try to grab Ares's "Doom on Special" upgrade, which is great when coupled with the Daedalus upgrades that buff your Special. More arrows + piercing arrows means that every Special cast should apply Doom to every enemy in LOS.

Your target priority typically becomes a question of "What's the biggest enemy on screen that I can one-shot with my main attack's Cast burst, while my stream of Dooms weakens the really beefy enemies and clears out the chaff?"

Magitek fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 20, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Hera aspect is very cool. Think about the implications of being able to simultaneously deliver all of your casts to a single location with great accuracy.

Well that's just the thing, like I said, when I tried smashing 7 bloodstones into a single arrow, I'm fairly certain the enemies I fired it at didn't take 7 spells worth of damage because I'm pretty sure that would've one-shot them. It was way more like a single cast. So how is it intended to work?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Sniper mixed with perfect shot does great for me though granted I still haven't used the Hera aspect yet so the bonus damage might be moot if stacking casts is enough to just crush everything anyway.

I had mixed success with the sniper upgrade. "Distant enemies" seems to mean at the very end of your attack range, and it's very hard to consistently hit powershots on those.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well that's just the thing, like I said, when I tried smashing 7 bloodstones into a single arrow, I'm fairly certain the enemies I fired it at didn't take 7 spells worth of damage because I'm pretty sure that would've one-shot them. It was way more like a single cast. So how is it intended to work?

Maybe it's bugged with whatever boon you were using that transformed your Cast projectiles? When I've used it the amount of burst damage is very high, but that's when using Cast transforms from Artemis or Athena or Aphrodite. It probably doesn't interact too well with Ares's spinny blades, for example.

It's also possible that it just wasn't enough damage to one-shot your targets. Some of the enemies in Elysium for example have a lot of HP, and if you don't have multiple upgrades for your Cast it might just not be enough oomph. 50 base damage is a lot early on but pales in the later two biomes.

edit: Yeah, I've noticed the bug that causes multiple Cast gems from the Hera bow to be labeled as a single gem on the enemy and then again when you retrieve it from the corpse. The amount of damage it actually does doesn't seem to be adversely affected, in my experience.

edit2: I'll bet it's specifically a bug with Poseidon's cast. The special bonus his projectiles provide is their knockback potential, and when you hit with a Cast-infused Hera arrow it's technically multiple casts going off a split-second after one another (which is why it's possible to one-shot Armor-protected enemies with a single infused arrow). My guess is that the first Cast projectile immediately knocked the target out of range of the 6 follow-up explosions.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It was Poseidon's cast. I'm mostly basing my estimation on how much a single bloodstone did (about half a health bar on the enemies I tested it on) as opposed to 7. I can understand if it was a little off because of not factoring in the base attack damage, but 7 times off is a bit too much for it to be a simple mistake. There's also that weird thing it did I mentioned where only a single bloodstone showed on the health bar of the enemy that it got embedded in, but when it popped out later I still recovered all casts by picking it up.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I could totally be wrong, but I think that it's done full damage for each bloodstone when I've used it. Can also depend on enemy type, armor, your boon and other things though if it you would get a one-shot/insta-kill, even with lots of casts.

I like Hera aspect and find it to be powerful if you get the right boons, but generally I'm much more into Chiron aspect. I always end up melting face with that aspect. Like almost 100% of the time.

EDIT:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It was Poseidon's cast. I'm mostly basing my estimation on how much a single bloodstone did (about half a health bar on the enemies I tested it on) as opposed to 7. I can understand if it was a little off because of not factoring in the base attack damage, but 7 times off is a bit too much for it to be a simple mistake. There's also that weird thing it did I mentioned where only a single bloodstone showed on the health bar of the enemy that it got embedded in, but when it popped out later I still recovered all casts by picking it up.

The Poseidon cast is probably why. The knockback pushes the enemy away and not all of the casts can hit simultaneously. Try it again with Athena or Artemis or somebody.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 20, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I used the Hera aspect last night with the Artemis cast and I'm pretty sure it's bugged in some way. I would load up all my casts into an arrow, shoot a guy, and he would take 1 cast's worth of damage and only get 1 bloodstone icon on the enemy. Then even though it showed my available bloodstone total as 0/3, if I right-clicked again it would suddenly realize I had 2/3 bloodstones left and update the display accordingly. It didn't happen all the time, but it seemed to happen more often if I was shooting at enemies at the limit of my normal arrow range or offscreen.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

speaking of bloodstones, does the extra damage when embedded in an enemy stack with multiple bloodstones? in other words, is it worth it to shoot all my bloodstones in one tough guy to get 150% bonus from 3, or would it only count the first 50% bonus and ignore any additional bloodstones?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

speaking of bloodstones, does the extra damage when embedded in an enemy stack with multiple bloodstones? in other words, is it worth it to shoot all my bloodstones in one tough guy to get 150% bonus from 3, or would it only count the first 50% bonus and ignore any additional bloodstones?

I'm all but certain it doesn't stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Poseidon pushing enemies out of the radius makes sense, although it's a bit disappointing.

Mzbundifund posted:

I used the Hera aspect last night with the Artemis cast and I'm pretty sure it's bugged in some way.

... then again, that also sounds like what I experienced. I'll have to give it a go with some other cast and see if I can reproduce it.