Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Is there a list of all the retcons this movie made about the last one? There had to be more than 15. From big stuff like Leia being a Jedi but not really, to talking about the holdo manuever.

I heard JJ refused his salary for this movie and decided he would be paid $80 for each plot thread connected. He’s now Hollywood’s richest man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t understand why people are crying during this movie.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hazo posted:

It was the center focus of a lingering shot that cut to it from Rey looking down at it.

gotcha, I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I just didn't remember that. still doesn't make it a chekhov's gun though

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pollyanna posted:

The only affecting scene for me was when Chewie finds out Leia is dead. Legit amazing and sad.

But her actual death? Like sorta but not really sad. Ren dying? Who gives a poo poo.

You wanna know what's sad? Bringing Wedge back and having him just sit in the gunner's seat. If you're going to give us flagrant fan service, put his rear end in an X-Wing.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is Vader's mask a Chekov's gun because it's a dilapidated piece of equipment from the OT that a character has but isn't using? Did people see that and think it was only a matter of time before Kylo fixes it and puts it on?

ImpAtom posted:

That was Wedge?? Jesus what a wasted cameo.

I liked John Williams angrily shaking his head at some pilots

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

The only affecting scene for me was when Chewie finds out Leia is dead. Legit amazing and sad.

But her actual death? Like sorta but not really sad. Ren dying? Who gives a poo poo.

You wanna know what's sad? Bringing Wedge back and having him just sit in the gunner's seat. If you're going to give us flagrant fan service, put his rear end in an X-Wing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Vader's mask a Chekov's gun because it's a dilapidated piece of equipment from the OT that a character has but isn't using? Did people see that and think it was only a matter of time before Kylo fixes it and puts it on?

Kylos mask was a chekovs gun once kylo broke it. This is what chekovs gun means to star wars fans

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I know right? Put his rear end in an X-Wing, let him blow up a star destroyer.

gently caress, Wedge was more important to the first war than frigin Lando ever was.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Oh no

Oh no . Wikipedia ...

So did Rey’s parents just... not have a surname? I assume they weren’t introducing themselves as Mr. and Mrs. Palpatine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheev Palpatine Junior

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

People in my theatre were applauding at every cameo it was so cringe-worthy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hobo Clown posted:

I liked John Williams angrily shaking his head at some pilots

Kylo talking to it and promising to finish what Vader started, and Anakin being a force ghost, you would think at some point in this trilogy they might actually talk.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

romanowski posted:

gotcha, I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I just didn't remember that. still doesn't make it a chekhov's gun though

The shot of it lasts a few seconds, but like others have said I think it's more just reinforcing that Luke is there to die.

Unrelated but at least the (underused) actors seemed to have enjoyed themselves at the premiere:

https://twitter.com/mollyrockit/status/1206766695559442432

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I didn't realize until afterwards that Rey's mother was Jodie Comer from Killing Eve. Just throwing out another cameo, or are we looking at a spinoff?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Killing Sheev.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair the X-wing is also partly there as misdirection- at the end of the movie you might think "wait how did Luke get to the salt planet? Oh I guess he flew there in his X-wing". That way when Luke confronts Kylo you're not distracted by how he got there, and can focus on "gently caress yeah get his rear end"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

So did Rey’s parents just... not have a surname? I assume they weren’t introducing themselves as Mr. and Mrs. Palpatine.

They were nobodies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

To be fair the X-wing is also partly there as misdirection- at the end of the movie you might think "wait how did Luke get to the salt planet? Oh I guess he flew there in his X-wing". That way when Luke confronts Kylo you're not distracted by how he got there, and can focus on "gently caress yeah get his rear end"

I always thought it was weird Luke appeared as his (slightly) younger self for that scene. Sure, that's how Kylo last saw him, but surely Kylo understands people can age. And it just left me wondering, "Did he stop and get a hair cut and dye job on the way?" until I figured out it was because he was an illusion. It was distracting.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Not your fault, but I just remembered Finn: "Red 5 is in the air!"

Ugh.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

General Dog posted:

I didn't realize until afterwards that Rey's mother was Jodie Comer from Killing Eve. Just throwing out another cameo, or are we looking at a spinoff?

I noticed her too. She seems too big for a throwaway background character with about 6 seconds of screentime, but it's Star Wars and celebrities have been lining up for cameos since forever.

Beeez posted:

Killing Sheev.

:golfclap:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I felt the Leia stuff was really poorly done. There was a comic I can;t for the life of me find that was making fun of the idea of using old footage of Carrie. It was some like the Trio talking and saying something to Leia only for the next panel to be stuff of Carrie doing things like talking to her dog or drinking coffee in her chair. I really feel like that is how most of the footage felt.

EDIT:Also the the voice of the alien Poe and Finn were getting the message from sounded really familiar but I couldn't remeber who it was and looking at the credits didn't ring any bells.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

General Dog posted:

Also JJ Abrams was the voice of that new droid. Also John Williams was the bartender in that one diner/club scene.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Now you know how CineD posters felt when TFA and TLJ were released.

Watch some Mallick, Scorsese, or some Snyder to cleanse yourself from these toxic franchises.

brodude
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.

mateo360 posted:

EDIT:Also the the voice of the alien Poe and Finn were getting the message from sounded really familiar but I couldn't remeber who it was and looking at the credits didn't ring any bells.

That was Mark Hamill, right? It sounded like it to me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

qbert posted:

Also JJ Abrams was the voice of that new droid. Also John Williams was the bartender in that one diner/club scene.

Where was that? The Holocaust planet?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

General Dog posted:

Where was that? The Holocaust planet?

Yeah when they go into a club at night and there's a weird lingering closeup of an old bartender dude.

Edit: Warwick Davis played that random Ewok at the end, and his son played the Ewok's son. That one's nice.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 20, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

mateo360 posted:

the lagomorph posted:

That was Mark Hamill, right? It sounded like it to me.

IMDB lists it as "Patrick Williams", and TROS is his only credit, so maybe it's a pseudonym. It also erroneously has his name as "Boolie" when it's "Boolio" so who knows? :shrug:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I found the comic I was talking about. It was from dorkly

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I don't understand anyone who thinks Carrie Fisher's scenes felt well-integrated. They're all just a hairs breadth away from being this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

It was ghoulish. It made me more uncomfortable than CGI Peter Cushing in Rogue One.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

mateo360 posted:

I found the comic I was talking about. It was from dorkly

It's so weird because I had zero problem with Tarkin being replaced wholesale with a CG stand-in and a soundalike. And he's one of my favorite characters. But the actors actoring around Leia's stock image outtakes was weird as gently caress to me. Maybe its the fact that she never loving moved. And was always filmed in the same shot style. This is why the de-aged twins didn't bother me either (it was loving scrumptious fanservice too). They moved naturally, so I could suspend the disbelief. Leia's footage even had the wrong lighting and coloring. It's like she was a hologram the whole time. It screamed "She's not really here" in a way that the other attempts didn't. I would have preferred a CGI replacement and soundalike. Morose choice, no matter which decision would have been made there.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Onmi posted:

Oh right. Everyone skips over what we learned Snoke did and how he corrupted Kylo. He was the Gardner at the Jedi temple who Luke scarred for "dome reason." And... That's it.

Is this real

Like is this actually how they explain Snoke and how he got that scar

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The cloned tank Snokes look like they had scars though.

My one friend's take is that this feels like a trash anime J.J. Abrams made after reading the TVTropes Naruto page.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 20, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Well Manicured Man posted:

I don't understand anyone who thinks Carrie Fisher's scenes felt well-integrated. They're all just a hairs breadth away from being this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

It was ghoulish. It made me more uncomfortable than CGI Peter Cushing in Rogue One.

I didn’t have any issues with the way she looked but her lines were terrible. It’s like all the footage they had was just filler junk.

‘Yes I agree’
‘I feel something is wrong’
‘I love you too’

Just loving lol they didn’t kill her in TLJ because subverting the franchise was too important.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The cloned tank Snokes look like they had scars though

Based on how Sheev looked and had to be hooked into a contraption, I just assumed that the cloning process or whatever it was couldn't make "normal" looking people and every clone comes out beat to poo poo.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center has been going through some rough times since the empire fell, okay? Cut them a little slack.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shaocaholica posted:

I didn’t have any issues with the way she looked but her lines were terrible. It’s like all the footage they had was just filler junk.

‘Yes I agree’
‘I love you too’

Just loving lol they didn’t kill her in TLJ because subverting the franchise was too important.

I didn't say anything about how she looked. I agree that the biggest problem is the dialogue. They had to write all of her scenes around the few lines they had recorded and even then everything she says has this wierd non-sequitur disconnect from the rest of the scene like the writers just couldn't find a way to get from point A to point B even though they had point B already and could put point A anywhere they liked.

Every scene feels like they're Weekend at Bernie's-ing Fisher's corpse and just off camera there's a guy with his fingers on the buttons of a General Leia soundboard.

Like I said, it's ghoulish.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think I may actually hate this movie more than the prequels. At least those gave me joy with how much I’ve been able to make fun of them over the years while this one was just boring bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shaocaholica posted:

‘Yes I agree’
‘I love you too’

How is "subverting the franchise" incompatible with killing Leia?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I felt like the dumbest part of this movie was the "Oh my God, I killed Chewie!" scene, only for it to be revealed two minutes later that he was actually on another, completely unseen transport. Even though we clearly see him getting loaded into the one that exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing that could have saved this movie was a cut of Baby Yoda sipping broth out of nowhere.