Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Is your friend Less Than Three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Was flipping around FM radio an hour or two ago, came across a station with rough reception (thought it might be the local university station, but they didn't have music on at this time) playing an upbeat 70's classic rock-sounding tune. Couldn't make out a lot of lyrics, just "rolling (or going) down the highway", and "keep on your toes".

Singer had a strong but not weird or distinctive voice. I think the vocals had some reverby/chorusy/anthemic-sounding parts. I'd call the whole vocal sound Def Leppard-esque, but not nearly as cheesy/overproduced. Maybe closer to Foghat.

Before the part with the lyrics, there was an instrumental part a couple of minutes long. Hard rock guitar soloing, reminiscent of 70's AC/DC (no, it wasn't Airbourne, sounded more authentically retro than that - still could've been some kind of modern throwback-style song, though). The song caught my ear because the guitar style was really similar to Angus Young's.

All-in-all, imagine Angus Young was playing on Foghat's "Fool for the City", but slightly slower and with slightly slicker production.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 6, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Was flipping around FM radio an hour or two ago, came across a station with rough reception (thought it might be the local university station, but they didn't have music on at this time) playing an upbeat 70's classic rock-sounding tune. Couldn't make out a lot of lyrics, just "rolling (or going) down the highway", and "keep on your toes".

Singer had a strong but not weird or distinctive voice. I think the vocals had some reverby/chorusy/anthemic-sounding parts. I'd call the whole vocal sound Def Leppard-esque, but not nearly as cheesy/overproduced. Maybe closer to Foghat.

Before the part with the lyrics, there was an instrumental part a couple of minutes long. Hard rock guitar soloing, reminiscent of 70's AC/DC (no, it wasn't Airbourne, sounded more authentically retro than that - still could've been some kind of modern throwback-style song, though). The song caught my ear because the guitar style was really similar to Angus Young's.

All-in-all, imagine Angus Young was playing on Foghat's "Fool for the City", but slightly slower and with slightly slicker production.

Ted Nugent - Writing on the Wall

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Ted Nugent - Writing on the Wall

Bingo.

Google missed it because the lyric is "keep YOU on your toes".

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Trying to find a modern indie/math instrumental band who had a hammered dulcimer player. I know they had at least one NPR-style live video on youtube.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

X-posting from the GBS "white whale" thread.

This is not enough information to accomplish anything but you lot have had some amazing catches so here goes:

Back in 2002 I went and saw KoRn at Philips Arena. There was some music playing before the show (as venues do) and there was this one song I absolutely loved. This was pre-Shazam and no amount of Googling when I got home then up until today has given me any correct results.

I *think* the chorus lead in is "I'm the best, motherfucker," with the end of "motherfucker" really stretched out and growly. Fit in well with the generic early 2000s hard rock/industrial/nu-metal thing going on in the era.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Crow Enthusiast posted:

Random guess but Fabolous - Breathe?

A month late to checking but you got it in one, thanks!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

13Pandora13 posted:

This is not enough information to accomplish anything but you lot have had some amazing catches so here goes:

Back in 2002 I went and saw KoRn at Philips Arena. There was some music playing before the show (as venues do) and there was this one song I absolutely loved. This was pre-Shazam and no amount of Googling when I got home then up until today has given me any correct results.

I *think* the chorus lead in is "I'm the best, motherfucker," with the end of "motherfucker" really stretched out and growly. Fit in well with the generic early 2000s hard rock/industrial/nu-metal thing going on in the era.

The support acts on this Untouchables tour were Static X, Puddle of Mudd, Deadsy, Trust Company, Marz and Disturbed. Could it be one of those band? I could imagine a Static X song ending like that.

E; is it Die Motherfucker by Dope?

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 11, 2019

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Liberate by Disturbed has a lot of Motherfuckers in it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There's this song that my art teacher used to play during class in the early 90s. I think it was like a parody or comedy song, and the only lyrics I remember are "Upper East Side." It had a goofy stereotypical 90s hip hop beat and prominent violin. I don't even like the song, but it's been stuck in my head for 30 years.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

13Pandora13 posted:

Perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8V0r_sK2fw

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I can’t for the life of me remember this.

I found it on youtube, and it’s an experimental track. It features a man, I guess basically yelling incoherently. It’s not screams like metal screams, but like straight yells. There’s a bunch of random instruments happening in the background, like completely discordant. I recall atleast drums, guitars, possible sax?

Finally, I think the word Cowboy was somewhere in the title.

Please someone help me find this track, it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Something by King Missile maybe? Probably not but that was my first thought for "a bunch of random instruments happening" :v:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg&t=142s

I don't think that is what you want but it has enough overlap to mention.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pilchenstein posted:

Something by King Missile maybe? Probably not but that was my first thought for "a bunch of random instruments happening" :v:

While looking at King Missile videos to see if any of them that had saxophone were particularly screamy, I found this and, well, I don't know who this is for, but it exists:

https://youtu.be/rbdUYPDUdi0

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I have a really out-there request, with almost no concrete details, but I figure I may as well ask:

I'm trying to identify a song from my adolescence. I heard it semi-regularly on the local modern-rock/alternative radio station in late 1996/early 1997; the station wasn't strictly on a Top 40 format, so it may have been a bit older, but it was played enough that I assume it was a recent release. (This radio station was in Alaska, so there was some Canadian market overlap, if that helps at all.) It was a sort of lush, overwrought love/nostalgia song in the vein of "Forever Young," although I recall it being stronger on the love themes than the nostalgia ones; the first time I heard it, my first snide teenage thought is "is this one of those sappy Coke commercials?" Male vocalist, a fair amount of instrumentation, and I believe some strings, although I wasn't great at telling the difference between rock string sections and layered guitars at that age.

The kicker is that I can't remember a single lyric from this loving thing. Whenever I try, my brain just pulls up the lyrics to Elton John's "Your Song" instead, which is generally similar in content (silly sappy love song with some overindulgent metaphors) but is totally different in instrumental style.

Does anyone have the slightest idea what this could have been? This song hit this grotesque place in my brain where I still think of it occasionally, but I have almost no memory of its actual content, and it drives me nuts.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

the first time I heard it, my first snide teenage thought is "is this one of those sappy Coke commercials?"

I had that reaction to this around that time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQt6jIKNwgU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Antivehicular posted:

I have a really out-there request, with almost no concrete details, but I figure I may as well ask:

I'm trying to identify a song from my adolescence. I heard it semi-regularly on the local modern-rock/alternative radio station in late 1996/early 1997; the station wasn't strictly on a Top 40 format, so it may have been a bit older, but it was played enough that I assume it was a recent release. (This radio station was in Alaska, so there was some Canadian market overlap, if that helps at all.) It was a sort of lush, overwrought love/nostalgia song in the vein of "Forever Young," although I recall it being stronger on the love themes than the nostalgia ones; the first time I heard it, my first snide teenage thought is "is this one of those sappy Coke commercials?" Male vocalist, a fair amount of instrumentation, and I believe some strings, although I wasn't great at telling the difference between rock string sections and layered guitars at that age.

The kicker is that I can't remember a single lyric from this loving thing. Whenever I try, my brain just pulls up the lyrics to Elton John's "Your Song" instead, which is generally similar in content (silly sappy love song with some overindulgent metaphors) but is totally different in instrumental style.

Does anyone have the slightest idea what this could have been? This song hit this grotesque place in my brain where I still think of it occasionally, but I have almost no memory of its actual content, and it drives me nuts.

Thinking of rock/pop songs with strings from that period, the first two that come to mind are The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74

or Bush's Glycerine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOllF3TgAsM

or the Smashing Pumpkins' Tonight Tonight, I suppose, though you probably wouldn't confuse that for a Coke commercial.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

dk2m posted:

I can’t for the life of me remember this.

I found it on youtube, and it’s an experimental track. It features a man, I guess basically yelling incoherently. It’s not screams like metal screams, but like straight yells. There’s a bunch of random instruments happening in the background, like completely discordant. I recall atleast drums, guitars, possible sax?

Finally, I think the word Cowboy was somewhere in the title.

Please someone help me find this track, it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEZAivzl1Q

dk2m
May 6, 2009

HOLY loving poo poo THIS IS IT

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Currently popular hip hop song with female vocals and and electric guitar

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
It was wild thoughts

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

from a friend

“It was IDM, must have been either 2015 or 2016 and I think it had the specific words "in other words, it hurts" and had a really good breakdown after taht”

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The support acts on this Untouchables tour were Static X, Puddle of Mudd, Deadsy, Trust Company, Marz and Disturbed. Could it be one of those band? I could imagine a Static X song ending like that.

E; is it Die Motherfucker by Dope?

As far as like, music I'd say Static-X was most likely but the voice isn't right. This wasn't an opening band/live, it was like, music the venue was playing over speakers.

The Dope song is too fast.

Too slow/too country.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I'm trying to think of an 80s song, and it sounds a LOT like the Neutron Dance by the Pointer Sisters, but that's not it. It's sort of a mix between that and maybe Holiday Road by Linsdey Buckingham. It was from an 80s comedy, and I *think* the movie starred John Candy, but even looking that up, I can't find anything, or maybe I'm just missing it. Now that I think of it, maybe it was Chevy Chase.

I remember a high-pitched synth playing five notes, each higher than the last, the fourth one being the longest (like, "bah bah bah baaaaah-bup"), and that'd repeat over a beat that, again, sounded a lot like The Neutron Dance or Holiday Road.

EDIT: Another sound-alike to this mystery song is the theme to the show The Edison Twins. It's in that 'everyone's happy and it's the 80s and we're all using the same beat' genre.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I'm trying to think of an 80s song, and it sounds a LOT like the Neutron Dance by the Pointer Sisters, but that's not it. It's sort of a mix between that and maybe Holiday Road by Linsdey Buckingham. It was from an 80s comedy, and I *think* the movie starred John Candy, but even looking that up, I can't find anything, or maybe I'm just missing it. Now that I think of it, maybe it was Chevy Chase.

I remember a high-pitched synth playing five notes, each higher than the last, the fourth one being the longest (like, "bah bah bah baaaaah-bup"), and that'd repeat over a beat that, again, sounded a lot like The Neutron Dance or Holiday Road.

EDIT: Another sound-alike to this mystery song is the theme to the show The Edison Twins. It's in that 'everyone's happy and it's the 80s and we're all using the same beat' genre.

Is this "Freeze Frame" by J Geils Band? I don't know if it was in any comedies, but it sounds like it would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo43B6nu60

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrTempest posted:

Is this "Freeze Frame" by J Geils Band? I don't know if it was in any comedies, but it sounds like it would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo43B6nu60

Ha, no, but my best friend also suggested this. Definitely not Freeze Frame, but thanks!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

My guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4Dcd1aUcE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unfortunately not, I've always loved this song. I'm thinking that the one I'm trying to remember wasn't that popular. I don't know why I see it alongside a John Candy or Chevy Chase movie, but I do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Mirror in the Bathroom maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Mirror in the Bathroom maybe?

Unfortunately not, but thanks! I had totally forgotten about this song.

The one I'm trying to find really sounds a lot like Neutron Dance. I actually initially thought that was what I was looking for, but it didn't have that little synth riff.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Prob not, but That’s Good by Devo kinda fits your description.

https://youtu.be/mjMJe8xKlqE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Prob not, but That’s Good by Devo kinda fits your description.

https://youtu.be/mjMJe8xKlqE

I wish, but unfortunately not. The beat was definitely closer to Neutron Dance, fast like that. But like everyone else's suggestions, I still appreciate the help. I wish I had more to give you to go on.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Honestly, this sounds like The Ducktales Theme Tune.

(I know it won't be, but still!)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

13Pandora13 posted:

I thought this was far too obvious and if you were a KoRn fan back in 2002 you'd know it instantly as the fanbases crossed over but Slipknot's People = poo poo has the refrains "Here we go again motherfucker" and "One more time motherfucker" both growled and slightly drawn out.

Like I said, seems a bit too obvious, though.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

I wish, but unfortunately not. The beat was definitely closer to Neutron Dance, fast like that. But like everyone else's suggestions, I still appreciate the help. I wish I had more to give you to go on.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI0a9hTh5AU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drat, I hadn't heard this before, and thought maybe it was it, but no :smith:

I'm starting to think that the song just doesn't exist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shot in the dark, but Neutron Dance kinda reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgY4Te0uFs

It was in Slapshot, I guess. And there's an 80s cover.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

I thought this was far too obvious and if you were a KoRn fan back in 2002 you'd know it instantly as the fanbases crossed over but Slipknot's People = poo poo has the refrains "Here we go again motherfucker" and "One more time motherfucker" both growled and slightly drawn out.

Like I said, seems a bit too obvious, though.

Less metal-ish/music is too fast, but a solid guess.

I'm *almost* positive the lyric is "I'm the best, motherfucker." Like "I'm the best (downbeat), motherfuuuuuckeeeerrrrr (gradual upbeat, metallic-y sound)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is it Jumpdafuck Up by Soulfly?