Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gizmo is cute and 100% original!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
There was a lot of unbelievable stuff in this movie, but for my money, the biggest surprise is... see this guy?

Some woman had sex with this guy.

Do you think he let loose with a triumphant evil cackle while they were loving? Because I think he totally let loose with a triumphant evil cackle while they were loving.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At least someone had sex in the prequels.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Nope. Freddie Prinze Jr. is just the messenger here. He's delivering canon straight from Lucas from Filoni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsnb61JPmM

Freddie Prinze Jr. may have misunderstood what he was told :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBpoiC8qGA

Anakin brings balance to the Force by destroying the Emperor and himself, the people using the Force for selfish ends, not by balancing some kind of see-saw where you have two good guys on one end and two evil on the other. Which is frankly a ridiculous interpretation but I guess it stems from there being two Sith and (at least) two Jedi at the end of Episode 3, except that's not exactly a "the universe has now been righted" kind of end, and in fact quite the opposite.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tenzarin posted:

How did palpatine make all those star destroyers? Who funded him? Was it like emperor secret loyalist? Then why didn't he just run the first movie group too? They had a death PLANET!

I guess he was waiting specifically for Rey to grow up and to show up and kill him and carry on his legacy. But I'm not sure why he wouldn't just send his fleet to take over the galaxy first and maybe they could find her in the meantime. Unless he figured a smaller scale conflict would be necessary to bring her out? Or he didn't want to accidentally blow up whatever planet she was hiding on?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beeez posted:

But that isn't what TLJ set up. TLJ ended on the notion that good guys from the first trilogy were being "reborn" and they'd continue to fight to free the galaxy. Kylo is the ruler of the galaxy.

Kylo has no Emperor behind him and can literally do whatever he wants ruling the galaxy including changing the status quo of evil Empire so it's not the exact same poo poo from the OT or the 1st film in this trilogy.

There are like 10 good guys and no fleet so they're basically first season Rebels level of ability to affect anything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
SO hang on.... Anakin didn't bring balance to the force because Rey had to be the one who brought balance to the force? Are you sure shes not a mary sue?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

why no cool darth vader force ghost for the finale and also why did j.j just have them be regular star destroyers and not super star destroyers

theyre super duper star destroyers

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darko posted:

Kylo doesn't have to be a monster for Rey to slay in the 3rd film. You're still constraining it to a 1st trilogy structure.

Could've been a neat followup on TLJ to see her defeat Kylo by forcing him to own up to his complete lack of ideology beyond the pursuit of power, revenge, and repression of his insecurities while the Resistance defeats the First Order by seizing the means of production of the military industrial complex. Kylo's worldview being systematically dismantled and shown as empty and pathetic would've been a lot cooler than him getting "redeemed" by his ghost dad and getting tossed into a pit or whatever.

But maybe that's just me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everyone posted:

There was a lot of unbelievable stuff in this movie, but for my money, the biggest surprise is... see this guy?

Some woman had sex with this guy.

Do you think he let loose with a triumphant evil cackle while they were loving? Because I think he totally let loose with a triumphant evil cackle while they were loving.

I was going to say he could've fathered the son when he was still a closeted Sith Lord, but if that's the case the son would have to be about 37 or 38 years old when we see him in the flashbacks, which seems too old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

SO hang on.... Anakin didn't bring balance to the force because Rey had to be the one who brought balance to the force? Are you sure shes not a mary sue?

Yes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Man, what if Phasma had lived.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Beeez posted:

That happened in the ending of TLJ. It literally ends with him saying he won't be the last one and killing himself to make sure the new one escapes.

Yes that's a flaw of TLJ as well. But it was apparently enough of a sticking point to get repeated in this one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

just call rey a badly written protagonist, 'mary sue' is a dumb phrase with baggage that makes people question if you're just complaining about her because she's a competent woman

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

euphronius posted:

Was not expecting that audience score. Huh

i was. its dumb as gently caress movie but its a very funnish movie and it has enough good character snappyness and stupid DBZ level poo poo that it was cool look/feeling. yes its TFA 2.0 with the same bugs but more of them this time but gently caress it. at least we didnt spend a quarter of the movie on Wall street planet.

General Dog posted:

Yeah, as much praise as the "let the past die" line gets, it really only ends up being relevant on a meta-textual level. In the universe of the movie, the line is put in the mouth of the bad guy and all of the good guys end up rejecting it. Like, what evidence is there at the end of Last Jedi that Rey/Leia/anyone is embracing that as an ethos? What would that even look like?

i have never understoon people jerking off to that line because its kylo clearly pissy about how he got hosed over and pushing himself away from coming to terms of the bad poo poo he has done, he doesnt want to be reminded of his fucks up and he just wants it to go away and die because he thinks he won't feel pain than. its only until mommy dies than it fully loving hits him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Davros1 posted:

Man, what if Phasma had lived.

She was a strong woman character until they crushed her to death in the garbage compactor!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Tenzarin posted:

Also can we talk about Rey being the first force using jedi with the abilities to revert time itself to heal people back from death?

Nah Darth Plagueis did it before Rey.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

How did palpatine make all those star destroyers? Who funded him? Was it like emperor secret loyalist? Then why didn't he just run the first movie group too? They had a death PLANET!

i assume he had been building a little seperate alcove for decades before he died. its not exactly new to star wars like with the sith emperor and such.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I think the worst part of this film is how pathologically afraid of consequences or originality it is. There was never a plot beat that had weight, or that surprised, or went anywhere other than the safest possible path. It tried to please everyone and in doing so made a film that is going to get, at best, "It was fine". That's it. It was fine. poo poo blew up, there were laser sword fights, it was ok. The biggest was killing Chewbacca and then SURPRISE 3 seconds later they make a point of showing you he's ok. Doing that poo poo just telegraphs "Nothing of any consequence is going to happen in this movie, you know exactly how this ends". You could have had them go to the ship because they need the knife and then had them sense him, at least we would have had to sit with Chewie being dead longer. That's still the safe no consequence choice, but at least you don't loving undercut it IMMEDIATELY.

It's an entire film that reached C+ and decided to coast. Driver and Ridley are always fun to watch at least.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Brother Entropy posted:

just call rey a badly written protagonist, 'mary sue' is a dumb phrase with baggage that makes people question if you're just complaining about her because she's a competent woman

She is a mary sue, better than every single character and loved by everyone!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

General Dog posted:

I was going to say he could've fathered the son when he was still a closeted Sith Lord, but if that's the case the son would have to be about 37 or 38 years old when we see him in the flashbacks, which seems too old.

I don't know why Rey specifically had to be his grand-daughter; why not great- or great-great-granddaughter? I mean, by that logic, I don't know why loving Palpatine had to be in this at all.

I assume the general idea Abrams had sketched out (if he in fact did) for the conclusion was basically the same as this: Snoke's hiding in the Unknown Regions with more Death Stars, and also Snoke was probably Rey's father or maybe Palpatine's son or likely both.

Mulva posted:

I think the worst part of this film is how pathologically afraid of consequences or originality it is. There was never a plot beat that had weight, or that surprised, or went anywhere other than the safest possible path. It tried to please everyone and in doing so made a film that is going to get, at best, "It was fine". That's it. It was fine. poo poo blew up, there were laser sword fights, it was ok. The biggest was killing Chewbacca and then SURPRISE 3 seconds later they make a point of showing you he's ok. Doing that poo poo just telegraphs "Nothing of any consequence is going to happen in this movie, you know exactly how this ends". You could have had them go to the ship because they need the knife and then had them sense him, at least we would have had to sit with Chewie being dead longer. That's still the safe no consequence choice, but at least you don't loving undercut it IMMEDIATELY.

It's an entire film that reached C+ and decided to coast. Driver and Ridley are always fun to watch at least.

The 3P0 thing is another great example on this. It's a ballsy-rear end move to lay an emotional point at the feet of comedy background character C-3P0, a character whose memory being erased has already served as a joke once before, having his memory loss then portrayed for comedy, and then finally not even committing to it and having him get his memories back.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 21, 2019

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t understand why people are crying during this movie.

Mental illness.

Pook Good Mook posted:

There's tons of people saying, "Imagine if JJ had done all of them?"

gently caress that hack. I would have been so much happier if Rian Johnson did Rise of Skywalker. In hindsight, The Last Jedi was the only interesting film of the bunch and the only one willing to explore complicated motivations and concepts.

This. He even had set up the "people behind the scenes pulling the strings" with the war profiteers subplot. That would have been an interesting direction to go in for the SW universe.

TLJ haters can suck it, basically.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

She is a mary sue, better than every single character and loved by everyone!

that's not really unusual for the protagonist of a pulpy action series

the real problem is that she's intensely boring and doesn't get any kind of a consistent character arc despite getting 3 whole movies of being the lead protagonist

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Luke Skywalker, now a canonical mass murderer. His father would be so proud.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The lack of any real ideology makes even the good bits of TLJ kind of hollow. Like Rey says "tell them to stop firing on the fleet" and Kylo says "it's time to let old things die" and Rey says "please don't go this way"... what way? Why does he want to destroy the fleet? What does he want to do now that he's supreme leader? Rey just seems to intuitively understand that by usurping Snoke Kylo is evil, and joining him would make her evil too. Why?! Maybe he's going to implement space communism and give everyone a pony! You didn't ask him!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

Luke Skywalker, now a canonical mass murderer. His father would be so proud.

how many people do you think were on the death star

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Brother Entropy posted:

how many people do you think were on the death star

Military or civilian?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Look at luke like you would Judge Dredd.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mooey Cow posted:

Freddie Prinze Jr. may have misunderstood what he was told :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBpoiC8qGA

Anakin brings balance to the Force by destroying the Emperor and himself, the people using the Force for selfish ends, not by balancing some kind of see-saw where you have two good guys on one end and two evil on the other. Which is frankly a ridiculous interpretation but I guess it stems from there being two Sith and (at least) two Jedi at the end of Episode 3, except that's not exactly a "the universe has now been righted" kind of end, and in fact quite the opposite.

The nature and concept of the force has canonically been altered in the Clone Wars series. The concept of the Mortis gods explains the idea of the force being balanced through "The Ones" — a family of ancient and worshipped force wielders who represented the 3 aspects of the force: the son who represented darkness, the daughter representing the light, and the father who balances the two. This is where the idea of that the light and dark must coexist in equal power in order for there to be balance comes from. Anakin destroying the emperor and himself was essentially his refusal to take up the role of the father, throwing the force balance out of whack that likely lead to the rise of darkness in Ben.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/boobooben/status/1207889476174929921

There's no way my screening will be this great but God drat I love the anger and the WHERES BEN

I would have been knocking some loving heads in that screening. What a bunch of shitheads.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rochallor posted:

and also Snoke was probably Rey's father or maybe Palpatine's son or likely both.
Snoke being a hosed up clonevat failure of Sheev to un-gently caress his Golden Thone-rear end body is so loving funny.

I really wish he had actually been some giant. Would have been an interesting contrast and situation.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does destroying the most powerful sith with the most powerful Jedi throw things out of balance?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I would have been knocking some loving heads in that screening. What a bunch of shitheads.

lol, we got an internet tough guy here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I listened to about a second of the middle part and I can't watch that clip, I can't.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pollyanna posted:

I sense a story here

It's not much, but the only time in the entirety of my "online life"? (if that's what you'd call posting on forums, chats, and social media) that I've had abuse, threats, and being told to kill myself is when I posted anything negative about a Snyder film. Not Marvel, Star Wars, Doctor Who, DC, Star Trek, etc. A little heated, yes, but nothing like vitriol when I'd point out something I didn't like about a Snyder film. Something about his films inspired a slavish devotion to his fans to go on the attack when he's criticized.

I was once having a back and forth with a mutual twitter follower, and she and I were talking about BvS, and out of the blue, some dude, who had to be name searching Snyder started to attack us calling us names. I mean seriously, who does that? (Other than insecure pro wrestlers)

That's why I pretty much only stick to SA anymore. People are so much nicer here.

Tenzarin posted:

She was a strong woman character until they crushed her to death in the garbage compactor!

She got better!

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
They killed the best character, General Husk.

They should have made a TV series with him and Kylo Ren where he’s an absurd combination of getting continuously dunked for being a facist, a straight-man for all the melodrama around Kylo and star-scream from transformers where he will compulsively try to take over the first order at the drop of a hat

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

The nature and concept of the force has canonically been altered in the Clone Wars series. The concept of the Mortis gods explains the idea of the force being balanced through "The Ones" — a family of ancient and worshipped force wielders who represented the 3 aspects of the force: the son who represented darkness, the daughter representing the light, and the father who balances the two. This is where the idea of that the light and dark must coexist in equal power in order for there to be balance comes from. Anakin destroying the emperor and himself was essentially his refusal to take up the role of the father, throwing the force balance out of whack that likely lead to the rise of darkness in Ben.

That also resulted in Anakin fulfilling the prophecy by taking the father's place, but Anakin refusing.

I liked that episode because Anakin got shown his bad future and flipped out before he got it erased.

Lucas did create that balance at the end of the PT by having two Jedi, two Sith, and two force babies that could do whatever, but Clone Wars leaving so many surviving light and dark siders muddles that reading a lot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

The lack of any real ideology makes even the good bits of TLJ kind of hollow. Like Rey says "tell them to stop firing on the fleet" and Kylo says "it's time to let old things die" and Rey says "please don't go this way"... what way? Why does he want to destroy the fleet? What does he want to do now that he's supreme leader? Rey just seems to intuitively understand that by usurping Snoke Kylo is evil, and joining him would make her evil too. Why?! Maybe he's going to implement space communism and give everyone a pony! You didn't ask him!

This is the number one failing of these movies- Kylo is absolutely supposed to be someone we’re invested in, but when he dies we know nothing more about him than the first time we met him. What was the hook for him that got him contemplating whatever freaked Luke out so much? What agenda was so important that he was willing to kill his father, his mother, and billions of people for? The answer seems to be “nothing”, and that’s a massive failure on the part of everyone who touched the script for any of these three movies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shaocaholica posted:

Military or civilian?

He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

"it's bad for poe to say bad things to holdo, but i relish the thought of beating up women" lmao