Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

To be fair, some of us buy stacks of movies because it's out only hobby and 99% of whatever's coming out on disc from 2014 onward will likely never get another physical release.

don't get me wrong, I would totally buy those stacks if I had the money (and the space) for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I follow some people on instagram that routinely buy giant stacks of movies like that, I don't know how they afford it. Or even watch all of them, for that matter. The most I've ever picked up at once was like 6 from a Kino Lorber sale where they were all $10.

I'll buy stacks of 8-15 during the sales, then hate myself for spending too much in one sitting.

My biggest purchase yearly is the VinSyn yearly package, not really sure if that counts though since it's more of a lump sum pre-order.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Fando y Lis whips, and it's good that it's in HD finally

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I know someone who goes to Best Buy/chain stores and just buys whatever new movies are out regardless of what they are. And of course none of those are boutique label stuff. It's all just the mediocre kind of crap you'd see in the front display at Best Buy. In fcat he has awful taste in movies and calls me a hipster because I "don't like stuff that's popular".

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

I know someone who goes to Best Buy/chain stores and just buys whatever new movies are out regardless of what they are. And of course none of those are boutique label stuff. It's all just the mediocre kind of crap you'd see in the front display at Best Buy. In fcat he has awful taste in movies and calls me a hipster because I "don't like stuff that's popular".

I don't know anyone like that myself but I see a lot of posters like that on the bluray forums. Guys that just grab every new release as it comes it. It's some crazy person behavior.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I tend to focus on boutiques and usually during sales.

My Kino Lorber collection has exploded in size thanks to their sales and their eclectic releases.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I will fully admit I have spent way too much on Blu-rays in my life, but $600 on 20 discs? I better get 50-70 for that price.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ChazTurbo posted:

I don't know anyone like that myself but I see a lot of posters like that on the bluray forums. Guys that just grab every new release as it comes it. It's some crazy person behavior.

The blu-ray.com forums are just wall to wall garbage people.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Long live the best buy $4.99 and $5.99 bins.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sniep posted:

Honorable mention goes to the Walmart $5 bin, which every once in a while has a few movies that still come with MoviesAnywhere codes despite the price

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sniep posted:

I saw the Shout Factory release of Mad Max in the 5.99 bin a few days ago.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I wasn't being lovely, full earnesty - I check that poo poo out every time they refresh a couple three times to make sure i get it all. There's a lot of quality content in there.

A lot of garbage too but a lot of quality content.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sniep posted:

Yeah I wasn't being lovely, full earnesty - I check that poo poo out every time they refresh a couple three times to make sure i get it all. There's a lot of quality content in there.

A lot of garbage too but a lot of quality content.

Oh I didn't think you were being a dick about it. I was just making a note of an especially good find in those bins. But anyway the dumb dumb I was talking about doesn't bother with that, he just buys whatever new thing comes out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I got The King Of Comedy in one of those bins.

Not a really funny movie, but it is very suspenseful.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

The blu-ray.com forums are just wall to wall garbage people.

Those people are subsidizing this hobby for the rest of us, so let’s hope they remain slaves to capitalism

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Yeah cause the slip cover is worth another $10.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Boinks posted:

I impulse purchased it off the site after seeing the price and it indeed doesn't come with a slip. I'm sure some bluray forum poster is steaming rn.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
If you're in Canada Shopper's Drug Mart and Giant Tiger are great spots to look for cheap blu-rays, I've found TNG Remastered at both of them for $14 per season.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I fished a copy of the new Bad Robot 4K remaster of Phantasm out of the $5 bin at Wal Mart last week and felt like I won the goddamn lottery. Steals and deals.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

One of the boutique labels could probably make a fortune selling empty blu-ray cases with slip covers on them.

caligulamprey posted:

I fished a copy of the new Bad Robot 4K remaster of Phantasm out of the $5 bin at Wal Mart last week and felt like I won the goddamn lottery. Steals and deals.

But did it have that cool slipcover that's indentical to the box art underneath it? Because that's what really makes it worth the purchase.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 21, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I watched the first Angel yesterday and it was actually a good movie? I mean, it's very Physical Media Thread to buy a trilogy on blu ray actually expecting it to be bad or unwatchable and then being pleasantly surprised but... I was pleasantly surprised. I'm just left wondering why the movie was made, like it's not really salacious enough for the people expecting lewdity and it's not action-packed enough for Death Wish fans. And there's a surprising amount of heart, like the main character has the full support of a police detective and her close friends from Hollywood Boulevard... for a movie with such an exploitable premise there's not a lot of exploitation.

Except for all the nudity of everybody but the main character. It felt really weird and skeevy seeing shots of a school locker room with full nudity, then a character who's meant to be 15 fully clothed walking around with her naked classmates who are meant to be of legal age? Suuuure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

I watched the first Angel yesterday and it was actually a good movie? I mean, it's very Physical Media Thread to buy a trilogy on blu ray actually expecting it to be bad or unwatchable and then being pleasantly surprised but... I was pleasantly surprised. I'm just left wondering why the movie was made, like it's not really salacious enough for the people expecting lewdity and it's not action-packed enough for Death Wish fans. And there's a surprising amount of heart, like the main character has the full support of a police detective and her close friends from Hollywood Boulevard... for a movie with such an exploitable premise there's not a lot of exploitation.

Except for all the nudity of everybody but the main character. It felt really weird and skeevy seeing shots of a school locker room with full nudity, then a character who's meant to be 15 fully clothed walking around with her naked classmates who are meant to be of legal age? Suuuure.

Yeah, Angel owns, I was pleasantly surprised considering the synopsis. Probably one of the best uses of "oh poo poo" in cinema history.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked it too, and always get a laugh out of films that end with resolving one storyline but just leave everything else hanging. Yay the serial killer is caught, but nothing else about Angel’s life is any better than it was at the beginning of the film, except now everyone at the school knows about her other life, as well as being busted over the contents of her locker. At least the one lady there looks like she’ll go to bat for Angel, but thats about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Technology Connections did an excellent video about the difference between film and video, and why film transfers to 4k so well.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I nabbed the Nymphomaniac Vol 1/2 double pack for 8 bucks a while ago; finally got around to popping it in, and the very first thing that appears is a "this is an abridged version unapproved by Von Trier". I know it was originally meant to be one movie, but is this referring to the chop into two movies, or has it been censored in some other way? Or is it Von Trier's usual bullshit?

wait what the gently caress is this nu metal intro lmao

Edit: so, according to a bit of brief research, there are uncut forms of both Vol 1 (with about 30 mins extra) and Vol 2 (almost an extra hour). Wish I had checked before I bought, but hey. Is there an uncut version around? If the film's good enough I might double dip.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 23, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, there's a 5 1/2 hour extended directors cut of Vol1 and Vol2 together on bluray.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, there's a 5 1/2 hour extended directors cut of Vol1 and Vol2 together on bluray.

Having just finished Vol 1 I can definitely say that I won't be double dipping it. Von Trier has never been my thing, exactly, but I've never seen something from him so boring as this.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's not on their site yet, but Amazon has the listing up for The Bolshevik Trilogy coming on March 10 from Flicker Alley.

Two-disc Blu-ray set with V.I. Pudovkin's films Mother, The End of St. Petersburg, and Storm Over Asia plus his short film Chess Fever. Extras include commentaries, visual essays, vintage newsreel footage, and a booklet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just finished watching Angel and uh wow, that was actually good.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Hey, I was told this is the thread to offer digital codes. I got a shitload of 4Ks and steelbooks for Christmas and here are the codes my mom already had:

Tangled - USLRTMABYVH
Big Hero 6 - B8NXZJ5RRN6
Moana - P3GB76J66XT

Also I'm going to keep hanging out here because I buy 4Ks and blu-rays and people make fun of me for it :smith:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

wuggles posted:

Also I'm going to keep hanging out here because I buy 4Ks and blu-rays and people make fun of me for it :smith:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

wuggles posted:

Hey, I was told this is the thread to offer digital codes. I got a shitload of 4Ks and steelbooks for Christmas and here are the codes my mom already had:

Tangled - USLRTMABYVH
Big Hero 6 - B8NXZJ5RRN6
Moana - P3GB76J66XT

Yo, I grabbed Tangled and Moana! Thanks!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I swear we've had this discussion before but with how streaming services keep getting fragmented, especially if there's shows/movies you like to watch over and over (like once a year or so) you're just better off grabbing the dvd/blu Ray on sale and only staying subscribed to one streaming service at a time instead of multiple. Also there's stories of people losing some movies on iTunes so not sure how much those platforms can be trusted.

So physical media is cool and good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
btw I just watched Tammy and the T-Rex, and man it's such a fuckin' bonkers movie. God bless Vinegar Syndrome for restoring and releasing it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wuggles posted:

Tangled - USLRTMABYVH
Big Hero 6 - B8NXZJ5RRN6
Moana - P3GB76J66XT

You should sign up for the Disney Movie Rewards. It's free, and if you give them these codes, it gets you like 100-200 points (I think). After a few thousand, you can get a free movie sent to you (and some extra points more, free shipping even). I had one snowy day where I went through my Marvel/Pixar stuff (Star Wars would work too), and got enough codes for 60 bucks worth of merchandise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

wuggles posted:

Physical media ain't going away!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

People are just jealous because we own nice things

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IUG posted:

You should sign up for the Disney Movie Rewards. It's free, and if you give them these codes, it gets you like 100-200 points (I think). After a few thousand, you can get a free movie sent to you (and some extra points more, free shipping even). I had one snowy day where I went through my Marvel/Pixar stuff (Star Wars would work too), and got enough codes for 60 bucks worth of merchandise.

My folks are huge Disney nuts and when I told them about this they went and entered all the codes they had, dating back to the early 00's. They had enough to redeem a tour of the animation studios in Burbank. :stonk:

My physical media haul was pretty light this year, but I did get the complete Ultra Q and Ultraman, Alphaville, and four MST3k sets.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Physical media ain't going away!

... Is this a reference to Charlie Daniels twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

grabbed Big Hero 6, thanks !!