Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

they don't look all that big or that far away

If we assume Ilus is roughly the size of Earth, those moons would be about 35-40,000 km out. And that makes sense, because 35,786 km is the distance needed for a geostationary orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toast Museum posted:

(Also, senior officers on the Donnager were standing around the CIC with loving coffee, so this isn't a new issue for the show.)

That one was almost certainly deliberate, to show that they were arrogant and not taking that fight seriously. Pride before the fall.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Kazinsal posted:

Anything on a spaceship has to be able to be made safe fairly easily if gravity suddenly stops being a thing you can rely on. Containers are easily sealable, tools are easily stowable, et cetera. It's not outside the realm of possibility to assume that the Donnager's crew actually did think they were unlikely to land in any kind of situation that would necessitate having to put oh-poo poo lids on their coffee, but I suspect that any adequately trained personnel would keep the lid with them.

Now, Holden, I can see him accidentally burning himself and/or someone else with spontaneously-floating coffee because he forgot about the lid.

Lmao your're in loving space why are there lids on anything? Why isn't everything in bags? Why do do have tools that are not tied down to the area they are needed? I love this show but people it is not a realistic "Hard Science Fiction show." I don't know a whole lot about spaceships or physics but i am on a safety committee at my work and holy gently caress i almost want to spend a day and make a list of everything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fragmented posted:

Lmao your're in loving space why are there lids on anything? Why isn't everything in bags? Why do do have tools that are not tied down to the area they are needed? I love this show but people it is not a realistic "Hard Science Fiction show." I don't know a whole lot about spaceships or physics but i am on a safety committee at my work and holy gently caress i almost want to spend a day and make a list of everything.

Deep breath dude.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

It's a fun reminder that if someone invents the Star Trek technology that is inertial dampening they will end up having all the money ever and rule the universe.

Inventing tech to violate the laws of thermodynamics would be similarly lucrative but it wouldn't look nearly as cool as you do a 75g loop to Goomba stomp an enemy while holding an uncovered latte in your hands that doesn't spill a drop.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

CLAM DOWN posted:

Deep breath dude.

I'm not a great writer that was my attempt at not giving a gently caress and making a joke or two.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fragmented posted:

I'm not a great writer that was my attempt at not giving a gently caress and making a joke or two.

Oh. Carry on then.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also you should totally make that list. Tongue in cheek nitpicking can be fun!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Fragmented posted:

In the books they always talked about bulbs of coffee.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
i think thats one of those practical budget limitations, where theyre like, yeah we could make a ton a space capri suns for holdens coffee and drinks in the bar OR we could just a normal tumbler ot coffee cup because itll help new people and book followers will get it anyway.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

See i would rather get numerous episodes showing just how deadly an alien planet is than having a character tell me about it. Sure it might save time, but its just words.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah make the list.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So perhaps this is obvious to everyone, but it was a slow burn realization for me this season and seems worth mentioning. Spoilers for all of S4:
A Mars that initially seems to be falling apart and a near non-player turns out to be making its next moves. No mention of Martian ships at the blockade and no named Martian leaders this season, but by the end it’s clear Mars knew what we learned and already had a plan in action.
Once the ring worlds become available for colonization, Earth wins. It has both more population and more spare population, more raw resources needed to start a colony off, and presumably more low-tech equipment useful for q budding colony. Mars would have an edge when it comes to terraforming and adaptation and possibly things like mining. The Belters are screwed in that they have a smaller population, a percentage of which can never live on a planet, but they’d have some potential in providing materials transport or if a system has a lot of nonplanetary exploitable resources of great value. Not much of a threat to Mars, though.
Earth imposing a blockade bought time for Mars and delayed the rush of people abandoning the terraforming project. Dropping a few asteroids on the planet will help address the population disparity, plus the leadership will be forced to commit resources helping survivors and stabilizing things, resources not available for colonization. Mars and the Belt can make the big leap, and the Belt is frankly not competition from a Martian perspective, plus their new leader is something of a naive idiot when it comes to politics. Even better, Mars can plausibly claim that corruption stemming from the post-war is what led to the Belters getting stealth-tech and Mars itself comes off clean, leaving Earth and the Belt at each other’s throats while Mars waltzes into control of a majority of colony worlds.

Still short-sighted in the sense that the colonies may lose loyalty to Mars over time, but totally consistent with Martian political maneuvering as seen so far.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Narsham posted:

So perhaps this is obvious to everyone, but it was a slow burn realization for me this season and seems worth mentioning. Spoilers for all of S4:
A Mars that initially seems to be falling apart and a near non-player turns out to be making its next moves. No mention of Martian ships at the blockade and no named Martian leaders this season, but by the end it’s clear Mars knew what we learned and already had a plan in action.
Once the ring worlds become available for colonization, Earth wins. It has both more population and more spare population, more raw resources needed to start a colony off, and presumably more low-tech equipment useful for q budding colony. Mars would have an edge when it comes to terraforming and adaptation and possibly things like mining. The Belters are screwed in that they have a smaller population, a percentage of which can never live on a planet, but they’d have some potential in providing materials transport or if a system has a lot of nonplanetary exploitable resources of great value. Not much of a threat to Mars, though.
Earth imposing a blockade bought time for Mars and delayed the rush of people abandoning the terraforming project. Dropping a few asteroids on the planet will help address the population disparity, plus the leadership will be forced to commit resources helping survivors and stabilizing things, resources not available for colonization. Mars and the Belt can make the big leap, and the Belt is frankly not competition from a Martian perspective, plus their new leader is something of a naive idiot when it comes to politics. Even better, Mars can plausibly claim that corruption stemming from the post-war is what led to the Belters getting stealth-tech and Mars itself comes off clean, leaving Earth and the Belt at each other’s throats while Mars waltzes into control of a majority of colony worlds.

Still short-sighted in the sense that the colonies may lose loyalty to Mars over time, but totally consistent with Martian political maneuvering as seen so far.

This is all correct, I think.

It also brings to mind that just about anyone missing the pre-shitheap days of Game of Thrones really ought to give this show a try. Because, amongst many other things, it does fantasy intrigue and politics really well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The cool thing about the series is that, even with the introduction of all this crazy ancient sci-fi race technology and stuff, it still manages to stay relatively grounded in terms of the interactions. When it turns out that the planet is waking up and zapping everything with lightning and sending kilometers-high tsunamis across the surface, rather than being a uniting force to bring Earth, Mars, and the belt together to face the threat, it just becomes another talking point during a political campaign, because of course that's what people would do.

It's very much a series about the people, and fantastical sci-fi elements are just another ingredient to throw in the mix and see how it makes them react. When the ring gates activate and 1300 new habitable planets are introduced to all of humanity, there's no Star Trek pie-in-the-sky peace and exploration—the story just shifts to being about imperialism/colonialism.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fragmented posted:

I mean they spend the majority of their time aboard the Roci in a burn, so there's plenty of time to use cups. I'd feel silly using bags all the time if there was gravity 90% of the time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I mean they spend the majority of their time aboard the Roci in a burn, so there's plenty of time to use cups. I'd feel silly using bags all the time if there was gravity 90% of the time.

its not silly on what is ostensibly a combat ship, but it is expensive production wise, so i get them not doing it. its one of the things I can ignore and doesnt break my suspension of disbelief.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe there's a bag inside the cup?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine all these new star systems still have asteroids and small moons, perhaps even belts of them. Why do belters so want to fall into a gravity well? Just go colonize a belt, this time without a majority of your labour being stolen by inner capitalists.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Baronjutter posted:

I imagine all these new star systems still have asteroids and small moons, perhaps even belts of them. Why do belters so want to fall into a gravity well? Just go colonize a belt, this time without a majority of your labour being stolen by inner capitalists.

A very important thing about a gravity well is that it stops all the air from flying off into space.

There's no "colonizing" an asteroid belt, you just have to build a self-contained habitat like Tycho Station. And there's no natural ecosystem and you're dependent on Earth for anything you can't produce on the station.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or spin up an asteroid/dwarf planet like ceres or eros. No system is 100% efficient so you need regular resupply from elsewhere, too. thats part of why the loss of Canterbury was so important; it was bringing ice to Ceres, for Ceres. Also your habitats ecosystem isnt as sustainable as a planets. If the belters could find a planet with like .3g gravity and a friendly ecosystem it would be a utopia.

Of course some people feel like they still wouldnt be belters if they had their own planet.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I mean yeah the show is usually spot on but let us not forget the slingshot stealth manuever thingy from season 2 or 3. That was bonkers bad.

Complaining about timelines not fitting together perfectly under the narrative confines of TV is the gooniest poo poo ever.

There have always been shortcuts to serve brevity over chronological accuracy on TV, and there always will be, because that is the nature of the medium. If it looks bad to you without doing a bunch of research, then I applaud you for your knowledge of astrophysics, but condemn you for your ignorance about how a film/tv narrative works.

Speaking of which, having watched the new season again, I have come to the conclusion that the stories are not happening concurrently, even if they are shown as if they were happening at the same time. Most of Bobbie's story happens in the months between when the Roci passes mars to when it gets to Illus, while those months of traveling are depicted in short form on the Roci, for example.

I'm also appreciating the season as a whole a lot more, although the Avasarala bits are a bit of a drag, unfortunately.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 21, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SpookyLizard posted:

Or spin up an asteroid/dwarf planet like ceres or eros. No system is 100% efficient so you need regular resupply from elsewhere, too. thats part of why the loss of Canterbury was so important; it was bringing ice to Ceres, for Ceres. Also your habitats ecosystem isnt as sustainable as a planets. If the belters could find a planet with like .3g gravity and a friendly ecosystem it would be a utopia.

Of course some people feel like they still wouldnt be belters if they had their own planet.

I did like that discussion among the Ilos colonists, that after a few generations on the planet their descendants would be so thoroughly adapted to planetary gravity that they'd have as much trouble going back to the Belt as the first gen did going to the planet and then, are they even Belters at that point? Is a Belter just someone born into the life of working on the float or are they more now, a real culture that can be carried and passed down anywhere they go?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fragmented posted:

tools being improperly secured and just fuckin flying off into space is an alarmingly common problem in the real-life space program

food and drinks are indeed pretty much always in bags though, there was an incident in the Gemini program involving a corned beef sandwich sending crumbs flying everywhere and getting into all the sensitive electronics that resulted in NASA being very strict about food handling and storage

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

404notfound posted:

The cool thing about the series is that, even with the introduction of all this crazy ancient sci-fi race technology and stuff, it still manages to stay relatively grounded in terms of the interactions. When it turns out that the planet is waking up and zapping everything with lightning and sending kilometers-high tsunamis across the surface, rather than being a uniting force to bring Earth, Mars, and the belt together to face the threat, it just becomes another talking point during a political campaign, because of course that's what people would do.

It's very much a series about the people, and fantastical sci-fi elements are just another ingredient to throw in the mix and see how it makes them react. When the ring gates activate and 1300 new habitable planets are introduced to all of humanity, there's no Star Trek pie-in-the-sky peace and exploration—the story just shifts to being about imperialism/colonialism.

We're a race of beings that will go extinct sooner or later having never, ever sorted their poo poo out. It's depressing and hilarious in equal mesures.

McSpanky posted:

I did like that discussion among the Ilos colonists, that after a few generations on the planet their descendants would be so thoroughly adapted to planetary gravity that they'd have as much trouble going back to the Belt as the first gen did going to the planet and then, are they even Belters at that point? Is a Belter just someone born into the life of working on the float or are they more now, a real culture that can be carried and passed down anywhere they go?

Life adapts to its environment, and when it has sufficiently done so, it adapts the environment to suit life as it knows it. Time passes, the environment changes, and life re-adapts. Sometimes life moves to a different environment and then has to adapt to that. The labels that life decides to give itself (belter, earther, martian etc) are nothing more than a snapshot representing where life curently is in that process of adaptation.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 21, 2019

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
FIlip is a big boy! How old is Naomi?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A Very Sexy Baby posted:

FIlip is a big boy! How old is Naomi?

All the characters on the show are younger than the books. They don't specify ages but she and Jim are probably 40-ish. Alex is probably closer to 50, Amos in the middle. Also keeping in mind life extension treatments exist and average lifespan is more like 150, so actually the characters looking younger than their ages is probably right.

Filip is one of the few characters whose age is explicit, he's 15.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Cactus posted:

Life adapts to its environment, and when it has sufficiently done so, it adapts the environment to suit life as it knows it. Time passes, the environment changes, and life re-adapts. Sometimes life moves to a different environment and then has to adapt to that. The labels that life decides to give itself (belter, earther, martian etc) are nothing more than a snapshot representing where life curently is in that process of adaptation.

While this is true, I think the belter culture will endure down the gravity well, even if it mutates into something slightly different.

The trauma of being colonized and oppressed as well as the societal effects of life in such a tenuous environment has to leave a mark that will likely persist for generations. No culture is innate or static, but people tend to take comfort in the customs of their people, often long after it stops being practical to act that way.

Sometimes, when a cultural diaspora happens, the people most separated from the homeland become even more adamant about preserving their cultural practices. Occasionally to the point where people back where they came from, would consider their behavior to be extreme.

I suppose if you define "Belter" as a very specific thing of that specific time, as Drummer does, you could say that it won't survive the change. Drummer is coming off a little too ethno-nationalist/Belter purist there, though. I'm hoping she is shown the error of her ways down the line.

Speaking of Drummer, I thought her comments on how she always thought the Mormon pictures in her office were amusing, until she realized the subtext of colonization and subjugation in them, were particularly poignant, considering Cara Gee is Ojibwe Nation. I wonder how much input she had in that dialogue?

Svaha fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 21, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mister Bates posted:

tools being improperly secured and just fuckin flying off into space is an alarmingly common problem in the real-life space program

food and drinks are indeed pretty much always in bags though, there was an incident in the Gemini program involving a corned beef sandwich sending crumbs flying everywhere and getting into all the sensitive electronics that resulted in NASA being very strict about food handling and storage
I love how most of the times people complain about the show not being actually realistic stem from ignorance about status quo in the respective fields.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 21, 2019

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Adam Savage has been geeking out on the Expanse again. Some really good interviews, in case you missed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfNJvwNZZ2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF65tmxtkuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8F9bqttmg

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Mister Bates posted:

and then there are the stray turd transcripts from Apollo

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

and then there are the stray turd transcripts from Apollo

That is literally what the Belter curse Falota! is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Svaha posted:

Adam Savage has been geeking out on the Expanse again. Some really good interviews, in case you missed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfNJvwNZZ2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF65tmxtkuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8F9bqttmg

The prop one is really cool. I liked how simple the coms are.

Since when could you buy literal power armor at home depot?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

In Canada, it's really awkward to complain when contractors go way over their quote, since they are always stomping around menacingly in power armor.

(i have no idea what he's talking about either)

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Svaha posted:

Complaining about timelines not fitting together perfectly under the narrative confines of TV is the gooniest poo poo ever.

There have always been shortcuts to serve brevity over chronological accuracy on TV, and there always will be, because that is the nature of the medium. If it looks bad to you without doing a bunch of research, then I applaud you for your knowledge of astrophysics, but condemn you for your ignorance about how a film/tv narrative works.

Lol, there's nothing "goony" about complaining about the Jupiter slingshot scene. Even Daniel Abraham himself wrote a blog post on his site about how bad they hosed it up. The Expanse does a lot of things right but that scene is not one of them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Svaha posted:

In Canada, it's really awkward to complain when contractors go way over their quote, since they are always stomping around menacingly in power armor.

(i have no idea what he's talking about either)

He must be making a joke.

The stunt preformer who lives in my area was in today and I asked him if he had worked on season 4 and he said he was one of the Marines that boarded the ship. Though they didn't use his picture for the memorial. he also was on the crashing ship on Illum. That's pretty cool.

My favorite thing in this season was seeing Mars. Book readers have said it looks like an endless mall and that's pretty much what we saw. Though in my mind I imagined Toronto's PATH, which if you've ever gone through, literally feels like you're being stalked by a minotaur.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

twistedmentat posted:

Someone in the comments said that it wasn't a home depot product, rather something that home depot employees use to move stuff around. No idea if that's true but it makes a certain amount of sense.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm tired and can bitch about the election plot later, but season was ok, Ilos stuff was actually really good, looking forward to the next, glad David Strathairn got to channel Two-Gun Sid Hatfield

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Svaha posted:

The chronology of that sequence has nothing to do with it, that sequence sucks because not only does it display slapstick physics wherein the slingshotting Roci is capable of fully reversing its trajectory on a dime without turning Alex into jello and beyond that it also subverts the plot explanation for the whole scene as Alex is firing the thrusters in close proximity to a patrolling vessel, which would get him detected pretty quickly. Also the moons where in comical proximity to one another in all those sequences.

I mean, this is a sci fi show thread man, nitpicking is part of the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

NASA uses coffee cups in space, my dudes

https://youtu.be/UvUd4D3pjlU