Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LinYutang posted:

Kylo's redemption in TROS makes Luke come off as such a petty rear end in a top hat to Kylo in his fight. It didn't even initially make sense for Luke taunt and antagonize Kylo at all, especially given Luke's infinite patience towards his father. But it now turns out that Kylo could be redeemed, it makes Luke even dumber.

Luke never said Kylo couldn't be saved, he said "I can't save him". But he also said "nobody's ever really gone," the idea presumably being that there was just too much bad blood between them for Luke to be able to do anything more worthwhile than distract Kylo by being a jerk to him while the rebels ran away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This is a silly nitpick, but when Palpatine is telling Rey that if she kills him like she is planning to she'll actually be doing exactly what he wants its like, if you had not said anything and just like Rey kill you (or better yet, ACT like it's something that you don't want, even mock fight her for a bit) you could have gotten what you wanted!

Fake EDIT: Although to be fair this sort of fits his personality at this point. Someone who is so sure he will win and triumph, he will literally tell his plan to his to his enemy because to him there is 0% chance of failure no matter what happens.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

theyre super duper star destroyers

no they'ren ot they're not even that big or blue

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that they don't follow up the whole "Finn was about to tell Rey something when he thought they were all dying" bit. Also something something Finn is a Jedi? Because he certainly had a lot of feelings about blank and knew when Rey died.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of weird that they don't follow up the whole "Finn was about to tell Rey something when he thought they were all dying" bit. Also something something Finn is a Jedi? Because he certainly had a lot of feelings about blank and knew when Rey died.

I’ve been tripping all day about this in my head and upset they did not do ANYTHING with it. gently caress you JJ!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Did anybody else get really strong Kotor 2 vibes from the a lot of the scenes and settings? Particularly the whole fifth Auditorium thing and the shot on and or where they're walking away from the crashed Millenium Falcon

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's time to face the fact Finn was just bait to get more black people in theaters.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Who were those people chanting when Sheev was making his speech at Rey?

One thing I did like that his red guard actually tried to protect him instead of just standing there like when while threw him down a well,but maybe they knew he’d live? This poo poo doesn’t make sense:eng99:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

moist turtleneck posted:

All I did was wonder about it you fuckin nerd lol

Yeah, and I was explaining why I think that's dumb that you did! :)

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
I just wanted Luke to give Rey her third lesson. :(

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Finn is such as waste of a character. He could have been the 2nd jedi in the film and had a major role in Rey's arc, but nope

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Deffo feel Boyega was hugely underused and that Finn had a bunch of potential for some cool story beats but was ultimately wasted in the end.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I liked the first third of the movie despite the opening crawl being idiotic.

Then the Chewie death fakeout happens. By the Star Destoyer Death Star I was done. I audibly groaned at the kiss. It felt like they wanted to make Rey a Disney princess in the worst way with a love square. Also who the gently caress cares about the FORCE DYAD.

It was a complete retread of previous films without saying anything. Just random plot points. Visual and verbal diarrhea. Like what was the point of this film other than to make money?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There’s so much weird poo poo with Finn in this movie. The idea of him being in love with Rey and him being a Jedi are both brought up in TROS with no resolution.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Using the knife to find a secret chamber in the second Death Star wreckage was stupid as gently caress for a variety of reasons but mostly it was just the same plot point as using the pirate medallion to find the entrance to One Eyed Willy's treasure in The Goonies. It makes me kinda mad that people got paid to write this.

I thought the Knights of Ren were supposed to be fellow force students that ran away with Kylo after he destroyed the school Luke had set up. Instead they're just some guys in helmets that stand around and constantly flash their space axes and get slaughtered in about 10 seconds? I did enjoy the ominous "dun dun dunnnnnn" whenever they stood there adjusting themselves.

That being said it's fine. That's the biggest positive and negative I can say, it's simply fine.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is a silly nitpick, but when Palpatine is telling Rey that if she kills him like she is planning to she'll actually be doing exactly what he wants its like, if you had not said anything and just like Rey kill you (or better yet, ACT like it's something that you don't want, even mock fight her for a bit) you could have gotten what you wanted!

Fake EDIT: Although to be fair this sort of fits his personality at this point. Someone who is so sure he will win and triumph, he will literally tell his plan to his to his enemy because to him there is 0% chance of failure no matter what happens.

One of my favorite parts of The Last Jedi was Snoke doing this right up to the point that Kylo loving murders him.

Some bits seemed kind of passive-aggressive toward TLJ. Like the bit where they make sure that Rose can't go with them because she has so much nothing to do. I mean, just kill her off. Or say she got killed. Or just have her off trying to recruit more forces for the Resistance or something. Instead it's like they took pains to de-emphasize her role. And then they brought in Jannah as a potential romantic connection for Finn but John Boyega played a total lack of interest in that to a hilarious degree.

Presumably Benicio Del Toro's DJ got a happy ending spending the First Order's credits.

One thing is for certain, though. Even though vehicles can easily crash, burn and explode, those are some long-lasting mother-fuckers when it comes to harsh environments. Luke's X-Wing was under ocean water for, what, a decade at least and it flew fine. That Jedi hunter ship was stuck in the desert for longer and it started right up. Hell, even after getting blown up and crashing onto a moon, parts of the Death Star II had power to open doors.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i liked the part where palps had a stadium full of fans to root him on, really sold the whole dethklok end sequence

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Listen, Finn served an important role in the movie: Making it clear that miscegenation is wrong and that he should stay with his own kind, which is why nobody took him seriously about his interest in Rey and she never shows the slightest attraction to him and they had him a more appropriate black woman with his exact backstory to keep him in his lane. It's part of the movie's overall theme of the nature of nobility and bloodlines and their role in forging the great people that shape destiny.

I don't know why the *gently caress* the movie wanted to have that message, but clearly that is a message it wanted to have.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can’t understand why you do that whole sequence with Finn on top of the Star Destroyer and also tease his force sensitivity and then not tie those two things together.

It would’ve been incredibly easy to just have Finn find a way to use the force in a desperate moment to destroy the command deck of the destroyer instead of just showing him plug two cords together by hand. You accomplish the same thing re: the destroyer, you give Finn a big moment and you pretty clearly explain what he was going to tell Rey.

The film has some fairly decent ideas but they’re all either executed like poo poo or not utilized at all.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

One thing this film did well was Chewie's reaction to Leia's death. That's probably it though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mulva posted:

Listen, Finn served an important role in the movie: Making it clear that miscegenation is wrong and that he should stay with his own kind, which is why nobody took him seriously about his interest in Rey and she never shows the slightest attraction to him and they had him a more appropriate black woman with his exact backstory to keep him in his lane. It's part of the movie's overall theme of the nature of nobility and bloodlines and their role in forging the great people that shape destiny.

I don't know why the *gently caress* the movie wanted to have that message, but clearly that is a message it wanted to have.

"the mckinsey guy says we need a black lady action figure"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is a minor nitpick but did they really need the 16 hour time limit? Because it just makes all their gallivanting around even more unrealistic. Were all the places they went to like 5 minutes apart by hyperspace?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can’t understand why you do that whole sequence with Finn on top of the Star Destroyer and also tease his force sensitivity and then not tie those two things together.

It would’ve been incredibly easy to just have Finn find a way to use the force in a desperate moment to destroy the command deck of the destroyer instead of just showing him plug two cords together by hand. You accomplish the same thing re: the destroyer, you give Finn a big moment and you pretty clearly explain what he was going to tell Rey.

The film has some fairly decent ideas but they’re all either executed like poo poo or not utilized at all.

It would also play nicely into Finn being the original guy to hold the lightsaber and duel Kylo, and would give some major payoff to that plot point and foreshadowing

But that would require the films to know where the gently caress they are going with an overall narrative arc, which is :lol:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I also get the feeling that someone in charge got wind that fans thought Poe could be gay, and really tried to over correct that here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One scene that pissed me off was Kylo/Rey’s 2nd fight (while she was in Kylo’s quarters). The entire fight he’s asking Rey where she is while she’s holding the dagger he left in his quarters are you loving kidding me, movie?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mulva posted:

This was so weird. It's great that they cast a non super skinny Asian woman. But then to "give" her to the black guy that was attracted to the conventional white actress almost as much he was Poe in the first movie was weird. Then, nothing happens with that at all, the Asian woman gets no one or nothing to do, and the black.guy is forced to hang around a black woman while Rey makes out with the genocidal white dude is...screwed up. It's because he was given two different arcs by different directors obviously, but it becomes super screwed in the end.

And he obviously should be with Poe anyway.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mulva posted:

Twisted as it is, that kind of does make sense. Which makes Boyega playing Finn as having polite non-interest in Jannah even funnier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So they just made Finn a "Force-sensitive" like Maz? No real powers?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just watched this movie for the second time. Hated and laughed through most of it the first time, felt a little bit better about it during the second viewing. For context, I think TLJ is the best Star Wars film.

TROS is not a "good" movie...but it isn't a bad movie either. It suffers the most from the fact that it's officially a Star Wars film and is tied to all the canon that came before. TROS is a failure of expectations with a side of failure of execution.

The first 30 minutes are such a frantic mess of shoehorned plot setups and bad editing that I was completely lost by the time the film found it's pace after the speeder chase in the desert. A second viewing is almost required, in my opinion, to decipher the first 30 minutes and to make sense of the rest of the film. Make no mistake, this is a pulpy action adventure film with a story that would be more at home in the EU...or in a Video Game with no-name characters instead of the leads of the two prior films. TROS becomes a much more enjoyable film once you realize you're watching the equivalent of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but for the Star Wars universe...a dumb joyride through all the things people liked about TFA with a lot of fan service thrown in for good measure.

I did NOT like the CGI or the lighting on Palpatine, and every time they showed the absurd number of star destroyers just floating in formation I chuckled because it's real dumb. I also didn't like that C-3PO made such a strong character choice to wipe his own memory for the benefit of the rebellion and then R2 gave it right back. Kylo's reconstructed helmet looked real dumb and I was glad when he took it off again. I also would have liked to see Rose in the role they created Janna for because her character served no other purpose than a slimy feeling that all the POC should be together...and it's probably the lowest point in the film from how much more progressive TLJ is.

I did not mind the "chewie" is on another transport gimmick the second time because you actually see two transports when he's being captured and the only way you're supposed to know it's chewie is because Finn yells it out. I also liked how Rey's flirting with the Dark Side had consequences like the tree falling on BB-8 or the transport explosion. I wish they'd stuck with that theme a little bit more but whatever. I also didn't mind Hux's "I'm the spy" thing. It was super clunky but his character's reasoning was legit. Once again, I wish they'd stuck with that theme a little bit more but whatever.

The leads were fantastic actors and carried a lot of the weight of this movie. The chemistry between them was enjoyable to watch the second time around and goddamn is Adam Driver a great actor. Also, whoever did the cinematography for the star destroyer interior shots when the team was saving Chewie was the best filmmaking in the movie. The longshot at the beginning of the sequence and the action shots during the hallway fighting were the highlight of the film for me.

My Star Wars Rankings are (from bad to good): Ep1, Ep2, Ep3, Solo, TFA, TROS, Rogue1, Jedi, New Hope, Empire, TLJ.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 21, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Parsifal posted:

I just wanted Luke to give Rey her third lesson. :(

have you not seen the cut scene? Its pretty funny

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Davros1 posted:

So they just made Finn a "Force-sensitive" like Maz? No real powers?

Pert much. Rian Johnson is supposed to do a Star Wars trilogy at some point, so this might be a set-up for Finn to be a Jedi (or whatever-the-gently caress Rey decides to the bunch she trains in the Force). Of course if Rey trains Finn, we'll get the Star Wars take on "Hot for Teacher." Except we won't. Because as I understand it Daisy Ridley is done with Star Wars from this point forward. Anyone coming at her with a lightsaber to sign will get stabbed through the eye with a proper 19th century lady's hatpin, from whatever movie she's playing a proper 19th century Victorian lady in.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Everyone posted:

One of my favorite parts of The Last Jedi was Snoke doing this right up to the point that Kylo loving murders him.

Some bits seemed kind of passive-aggressive toward TLJ. Like the bit where they make sure that Rose can't go with them because she has so much nothing to do. I mean, just kill her off. Or say she got killed. Or just have her off trying to recruit more forces for the Resistance or something. Instead it's like they took pains to de-emphasize her role. And then they brought in Jannah as a potential romantic connection for Finn but John Boyega played a total lack of interest in that to a hilarious degree.

Horse lady's entire existence in the movie seemed to just be to say gently caress you to Rose. The fact that she was also black (y'know, like Finn is!) kind of pissed me off.

Mulva posted:

And then they drive it home by having her final send-off moment be with Lando. Yeesh.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I also get the feeling that someone in charge got wind that fans thought Poe could be gay, and really tried to over correct that here.

They gave him a case of the not gays.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
After all of this I’d put that Rian Johnson trilogy at a pretty close to 0% chance of happening.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A New Hope: good
The Empire Strikes Back: good
Return of the Jedi: good
The Phantom Menace: good
Attack of the Clones: good
Revenge of the Sith: good
The Force Awakens: good
Rogue One: good
The Last Jedi: good
Solo: bad
The Rise of Skywalker: bad

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Set it up so that the Daughter is Rey's mother. We never saw the mother get stabbed in the vision and the knife made sure Rey primarily thought about the mother despite the Dad being the relevant relative.

Make it lead to a plot focused primarily on the Father, Son, and Daughter. Maybe Rey getting bodied by one despite being drat near a god (because they are full-on gods) and needing to turn into an equally powerful dark avatar to win. Now you have Humans vs. hosed Up Otherworldly Technology too with the canon you 'have' instead of shoehorning in the Vong.

The trio also control time. So maybe an Anakin cameo since they hosed with him before too.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 21, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Everyone posted:

Pert much. Rian Johnson is supposed to do a Star Wars trilogy at some point

There's no way this actually gets made.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
In my head Canon Finn has had a fully realized romantic relationship with literally every character he shared a scene with.

MJeff posted:

And then they drive it home by having her final send-off moment be with Lando. Yeesh.

This did seem weird to me, it was like some sort of bizarre bechdel test but with black people instead of ladies.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 21, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If they actually do the rian Johnson trilogy it’s going to be the most dire poo poo ever especially after watching Knive’s out. He’s extremely overrated.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blast Fantasto posted:

After all of this I’d put that Rian Johnson trilogy at a pretty close to 0% chance of happening.

Yes but it would be hilarious if it does get made or at least not cancelled for a while to rile the nerds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Rose broke up Witt FN between films when she found out he was a big Space-Andrew Space-Yang supporter.