Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I’d say check out the All Ages comp album. Goes to 93 or so and has a bunch of good songs from their first era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did Montell Jordan do anything good/notable besides This Is How We Do It?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Scratch Lee Perry

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Scratch Lee Perry

First, I'm basically a novice on the man, and I probably respect his music more than I would call myself a fan. That said, with someone who made a ton of his own music but who was also, possibly, more important as a producer, I don't think there is a single great starting point.

My first suggestion would be something like this playlist for a nice range of his production credits (and if you don't have apple music, maybe just recreate it on your preferred choice). I don't really know of a better way to hear a concise collection of music he worked on with other artists, and the Behind the Boards playlists are usually pretty good in general (they and a few other curated playlists are one of the reasons I initially went Apple over Spotify in the great streaming schism).

As far as his music itself, one of my old friends used to swear by the Scratch on the Wire comp album, although according to allmusic it looks to be completely contained within the larger comp Arkology at this point. Arkology has Police and Thieves, too, so +1 point there.

That's basically the end of my limited knowledge.

Edit: looking at the Arkology track list on another site and it looks like it contains a lot of stuff he produced for other artists from that first playlist, so maybe just go with that.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 10, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Arkology, then look up the albums that the songs you like are on

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Depeche Mode?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kvlt! posted:

Depeche Mode?

Violator is their commercial peak, and is really good overall.

I know some of their early records can be a bit rough - Speak and Spell was written by a different person than Martin Gore - and he went on to form Yazoo and Erasure. The two singles compilations do a good job with their early periods, and the album versions ate different so that's a good way to go too.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Depeche Mode?

Violator is solid for sure. Nine track album, and 4 of those were banger popular singles (and "Halo" coulda shoulda been a 5th). Music for the Masses was the lead up and it's got some monsters on it as well. Black Celebration will always and forever be my number one.

I would suggest giving Violator a shot, and then either of the two others I mentioned. If you like those, then work backwards in the discography or dive into Catching up With … which is a pretty excellent singles compilation of their early years.

Post Violator it can get kinda funky or just boring depending on your level of interest.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I couldn't get into Some Great Reward or earlier. Luckily they put a Best Of compilation called "Singles 81-85". I have every album after that however. Music for the Masses is the earliest album I like, but Violator is clearly the best. Their 3 latest albums are also good, so they're not really losing it yet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Singles 81-85 is a very solid collection and well worth checking out. There's also Singles 86-98, which isn't quite as good but is still pretty good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

hatelull posted:

Violator is solid for sure. Nine track album, and 4 of those were banger popular singles (and "Halo" coulda shoulda been a 5th). Music for the Masses was the lead up and it's got some monsters on it as well. Black Celebration will always and forever be my number one.
These are the cornerstones that you are looking for.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Kvlt! posted:

Depeche Mode?

My first Depeche Mode album was The Singles 81–85. I bought it because the first Depeche Mode song I really heard and liked a lot was "Shake the Disease," which wasn't on any album. From there, I bought their albums chronologically. 15 years later, I am a huge Depeche Mode fan. Not as big as some, but still pretty big. If you have the time, patience, and interest, it is really interesting listening to the progression of their sound.

I think Violator is a masterpiece and a perfect album, and probably where you should start, but if it doesn't click with you for whatever reason, check out any of the following:
  • Black Celebration (1986): there are some melodramatic clunkers on here, but this album is a whole mood — bleak, nihilistic, and kind of horny
  • Music for the Masses (1987): a precursor to Violator. Dynamic with some excellent songwriting. More optimistic and playful than Black Celebration, but still kind of horny.
  • Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993): Violator's successor. Depeche Mode's heaviest, most aggressive album, with grunge and gospel influences and religious overtones.
  • Ultra (1997): Personally, I think this is Depeche Mode's most artful album. Singer Dave Gahan had just nearly died from an overdose and Alan Wilder, the most musically literate member of the band, had just quit. I think this contributes to a gentle, introspective quality of the album. Fewer bangers, but this album really stays with me for some reason.
  • Playing the Angel (2005): I remember reading a critic call this Depeche Mode's best album since Violator, which is sort of true — it's similarly dynamic and brings the hooks. The beat-up, regretful mood here is influenced by Martin Gore's divorce.
Depeche Mode were some of the best in the business in the music video game, so check out some of those, too. I've never really liked the live album, but 101 is an incredible documentary that captures the madness and devotion the band inspires inspired in 1988 in the US. I need to figure out how to see Spirits in the Forest, which is sort of a modern update on the same theme.

tl;dr: Violator

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 12, 2019

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

really you could have ended all of those descriptions with "and kind of horny"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
*clears throat*

*taps mic*

Violator is really good.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
All I know about TLC is No Scrubs, Waterfalls, and Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg? Is there anything else good?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Junpei posted:

All I know about TLC is No Scrubs, Waterfalls, and Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg? Is there anything else good?

CrazySexyCool was HUGE. You might try that one if you're looking to dive into a full length.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
All I know about Blondie is "One Way Or Another", "Call Me", and "Heart Of Glass" (as well as the Fall Out Boy song Debbie Harrie was on, West Coast Smoker). Where do I start with them?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

"One Way Or Another" and "Heart of Glass" are both from Parallel Lines, which is generally regarded as the group's best album.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

"One Way Or Another" and "Heart of Glass" are both from Parallel Lines, which is generally regarded as the group's best album.

Seconded, and Eat to the Beat was the next best. I didn't hate the eponymous debut album either.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I dont think I've ever heard a Rush song

Where should i start

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Where should i start

Ooh boy, there are some options here.

Their best and most successful album is Moving Pictures, which includes several hits that you may have heard before whether you know it or not. It would probably be my choice for where to start. It’s also the band at its most versatile.

2112 has the epic title track, which is probably their best song, but side two is comparatively underwhelming. It’s also sort of a bridge album between their hard rock beginnings and their full prog period.

If you want them at their most proggy, go with Hemispheres.

If you just want to rock out, Fly by Night is a good early choice.

If you want to hear them embrace the sounds of 80s synth stuff and new wave, maybe go with Signals.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Where should i start

Moving Pictures.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you've literally never heard a Rush song, take a look at the track listing for their Greatest Hits album and look up some of those songs on YouTube. Then if you like what you hear you can get into the albums.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

Moving Pictures.

This

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Where should i start

Hexwren did a good effort post on this the last time it was asked.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2761269&perpage=40&pagenumber=82#post476421252

But yeah, go with Moving Pictures or a best of at first, then maybe 2112 or into the more insane things.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Where should i start

I find this difficult to believe.

Rush are first and foremost a prog band. The answers you seek are Hemispheres, Fly By Night, and 2112.

I also like A Farewell to Kings, but not everyone does.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of prog rock, I'm kinda bouncing off of Yes, I think. I'm not really getting into their album Fragile, do I even try to continue with the random copy of 90125 I have or jump ship to another band, ie follow the Rush suggestions above?

I think the current score on my attempts at progressive rock bands are as follows:

Styx: Loved Pieces of Eight absolutely hated this best of album.

Gryphon: Disliked the first three albums.

Greenslade: Remember nothing except Feathered Friends being okay to good.

Asia: Don't remember much about their songs other than being disappointed.

Saga: They exist.

And, if early Queen albums count, loving that poo poo.

Maybe most progressive rock isn't for me???

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of prog rock, I'm kinda bouncing off of Yes, I think. I'm not really getting into their album Fragile, do I even try to continue with the random copy of 90125 I have or jump ship to another band, ie follow the Rush suggestions above?

I think the current score on my attempts at progressive rock bands are as follows:

You chose some off brand prog to dip your toes in.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

You chose some off brand prog to dip your toes in.

poo poo, though I thought Yes at least was pretty mainstream in the genre? Probably should just go trawl the prog thread here after I put Fragile in the out stack.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Try Close to the Edge and if that doesn't work give up on Yes.

Maybe you'll like King Crimson?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Try Close to the Edge and if that doesn't work give up on Yes.

Agreed - its how I learned that Yes wasn't for me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm most of the way through Close to the Edge and I've alternated between being bored, annoyed, and straight up tuning it out as I browse the forums, so I guess that answers that, time to move on. Thank you noble music goons.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What music do you normally listen to? Close to the Edge rules. Is it too flamboyant, wanky, and/or drawn out? Prog is pretty broad, almost to the point of being an adjective. Maybe if you narrow in on your tastes, you can find some you like.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm going against the grain here. Close to the Edge is their best work, but might not be the most accessible for someone unsure if they like Yes.

Fragile is varied, but a bit disjointed. The band members were asked to contribute individually and Rick Wakeman was under a weird contract thing that meant he couldn't be credited with any writing credits. Hence, his individual piece was the eh Cans and Brahms. All Bill Bruford can say about Five Per Cent for Nothing is, they asked me to contribute.

So, my next suggestion is The Yes Album (not to be confused with their debut, Yes). No Wakeman, but it does include Starship Trooper, Yours Is No Disgrace and I've Seen All Good People. All three have made classic rock radio, so it's possibly a bit friendlier than even Fragile. There's the better of Steve Howe's Yes solo guitar pieces in Clap.

Going for the One is another possible suggestion. It's not nearly as proggy and actually opens with something that, uh, ... rocks (the title track). Everything except the end track is pretty compact - at least by their standards - and the end track, Awaken, is one of their best.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Toe Rag posted:

What music do you normally listen to? Close to the Edge rules. Is it too flamboyant, wanky, and/or drawn out? Prog is pretty broad, almost to the point of being an adjective. Maybe if you narrow in on your tastes, you can find some you like.

Mostly listen to electronic (lately early stuff from the 60s/70s) and rock with forays into heavy metal and more recently psychedelic/acid rock. I've been on a kick for most of this year to expand my horizons outside of chiptune and video game music by looking into popular bands that I've never really listened to or have only heard greatest hits of, so that's the reasoning behind the madness. Plus, I am sick of the same old OCRemix songs I've had on my electronic devices since literally 7th grade.

As for Close to the Edge the purposefully discordant intro was what first annoyed me, the rest reminded me of the awful Styx Best of album I posted about earlier. I think it's because it's softer/calmer 70s rock which I equate with being generic and easily ignorable, which is probably unfair to it on my part.

For what it's worth I had a friend link me to I've Seen all Good People which went down much better. I listened to a couple other tracks from The Yes Album and so far its been the one that I've liked the most. Has just enough of a hard edge to it in the hooks, and I don't notice the length of the songs as much.

Fake edit: I scrolled down and just noticed RC and Moon Pie got beaten to the punch by my friend with The Yes Album, this is what I get for taking forever to type and not refreshing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Some of that isn't even prog. But echoing above, you went down Prog's back alley, instead of the main road.

To being with you should go peruse the Prog Thread. There is a lot to absorb there.

You should begin with some more "mainstream" prog. Older Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Eloy, ELP, etc.

Re: Yes: Definitely try Close to the Edge. Spotify has several good "Prog 101" type of playlists with the classic stuff. If you can get through those, you're off to a good start. When you're ready to dive deeper into Italian Prog, Modern Prog, Prog Metal, etc...go drop a deuce in the Prog thread. Prog guys looooove talking to Prog, even it's questions we've answered 1000 times.

Another great resource is Prog Archives. It's terribly built, but the information is solid, and it's a sort of community effort, a la Rotten Tomotoes, but filled with neckbeards that actually review things seriously, instead of "GOHSTBURSTERS AINT GOT TIDDIES".

PA's Top 50 Prog Albums list is a good place for a neophyte to begin.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Set It Off?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I am interested in familiarizing myself with the Melvins. Since they been around for 35+ years and have a pile of records, all probably sounding different, and have influenced plenty of later bands that I've listened to. Where to start? I am probably more partial to the experimental/alternative side than the punk stuff.

Emetic Hustler fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 30, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I remember listening to Houdini at some point and liking it, but I have no idea whether that's the best starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I remember listening to Houdini at some point and liking it, but I have no idea whether that's the best starting point.

I was also interested in starting with The Melvins, and did so recently with this album. I liked it!