Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i wouldn't say no to a good Salem's Lot movie. i finally read the book last year and loved it but the TV movie is pretty underwhelming.

trouble is if they made it into a movie now they'd split it into two parts and each one would be two and a half hours

According to the article, it’s an adaptation of the short story Jerusalem’s Lot, not the full length novel Salem’s Lot. Jerusalem’s Lot is about the founding of the town and all the crazy cult poo poo that happened to the founding families.

Also, watch Castle Rock S2 if you haven’t. It’s a great twist on the Salem’s Lot story.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I was kinda meh about S1, but S2 was great. I've always had a soft spot for 'Salem's Lot.

:yeah:

I love that S2 had characters from Misery and Stand By Me as well. Ace Merrill is one of my favorite Stephen King greaser bullies.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i wouldn't say no to a good Salem's Lot movie. i finally read the book last year and loved it but the TV movie is pretty underwhelming.

trouble is if they made it into a movie now they'd split it into two parts and each one would be two and a half hours

Yea I saw it for the first time in October and underwhelmed is definitely a good way to describe my thoughts.

Basebf555 posted:

I tried to watch the full 3 hour miniseries and I think that was probably a mistake. I'm told there's a 90 minute theatrical version that I imagine is much better just because there's a lot of boring filler here. King of course spends a lot of time allowing you to get to know the whole town, and there's an attempt to do that here but I found myself not very interested in any of the characters. A lot of that was definitely due to the actors, who mostly were third rate and not up to the material. There were a few exceptions but all in all the whole thing felt pretty rote and uninteresting. Barlow himself was a highlight but there isn't nearly enough of him to justify 3 hours.

I feel bad for Tobe Hooper that he ended up working on this because I can't imagine he had much creative freedom. I dunno, maybe I'm way off and Tobe Hooper's dream project was to adapt a King novel but I wasn't feeling the same love here that I do when I watch most of Hooper's other work. So this is my first disappointment of the 2019 Horror Challenge.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ruddiger posted:

According to the article, it’s an adaptation of the short story Jerusalem’s Lot, not the full length novel Salem’s Lot. Jerusalem’s Lot is about the founding of the town and all the crazy cult poo poo that happened to the founding families.

Also, watch Castle Rock S2 if you haven’t. It’s a great twist on the Salem’s Lot story.

There's the novel and the two short stories focused on the town. This one's the cult stuff which made it an appealing location to the vampires and the other short story's on the aftermath of the novel with the nearby towns dealing with what vampires are still lurking around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's the novel and the two short stories focused on the town. This one's the cult stuff which made it an appealing location to the vampires and the other short story's on the aftermath of the novel with the nearby towns dealing with what vampires are still lurking around.

Ah, that’s right. I forgot there were two short stories. They’re both in the same collection too, I think.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I love that S2 had characters from Misery and Stand By Me as well. Ace Merrill is one of my favorite Stephen King greaser bullies.

I thought they did an incredible job detailing Annie Wilkes . It makes me want to sit through Misery again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

The short story is really cool. King really shows his Lovecraft influences in it. I’ll definitely be watching.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I felt like S2 was actually a lot more Jerusalem's Lot than Salem's Lot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I thought they did an incredible job detailing Annie Wilkes . It makes me want to sit through Misery again.

As soon as I finish Dr. Sleep that’s next on my reading list specifically because of CRS2.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

fran you coward banning me because i speak tbe truth that part 8 is the best friday i shall not be silenced

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Part 8 is two halves of two good movies, which do not add up to one good movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Part 8 is two halves of two good movies, which do not add up to one good movie.

Have to frank I was annoyed that they did a remake/reboot/whatever of Friday the 13th instead of just doing a remake of Jason Takes Manhattan with more time spent in Manhattan.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should remake VII also so they can have a Jason that good but make the movie a lot better and gorier.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Part 8 makes very little sense even by '80s slasher standards. How does the boat get to Manhattan from Crystal Lake, which is supposed to be in New Jersey and nowhere near the ocean? Even assuming it was possible, why wouldn't they just take a bus and get there in like a half hour? Why is the senior class made up of like 10 people? I like most everything after they actually get to Manhattan but the first hour is very bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neo Rasa posted:

They should remake VII also so they can have a Jason that good but make the movie a lot better and gorier.

The MPAA massacred part 7, and I've long said a restored version would probably be my favorite in the series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Part 8 makes very little sense even by '80s slasher standards. How does the boat get to Manhattan from Crystal Lake, which is supposed to be in New Jersey and nowhere near the ocean? Even assuming it was possible, why wouldn't they just take a bus and get there in like a half hour? Why is the senior class made up of like 10 people? I like most everything after they actually get to Manhattan but the first hour is very bad.

It's discussed in detail in Crystal Lake Memories and yea they basically just needed a way to have Jason end up in Manhattan so they said gently caress it lets act like Crystal Lake is connected to the ocean somehow.

The mistake was in assuming people would care how Jason got to NY. Just have him show up in some coroner's office or whatever, maybe his body was transported there for some reason. Who gives a poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It's discussed in detail in Crystal Lake Memories and yea they basically just needed a way to have Jason end up in Manhattan so they said gently caress it lets act like Crystal Lake is connected to the ocean somehow.

The mistake was in assuming people would care how Jason got to NY. Just have him show up in some coroner's office or whatever, maybe his body was transported there for some reason. Who gives a poo poo.

If that was the real reason the boat sequence wouldn't be an hour long.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

If that was the real reason the boat sequence wouldn't be an hour long.

That's how it started. Then along the way the budget kept getting slashed and slashed some more, so they had to keep shifting more of the movie to the boat and away from Manhattan. Originally the boat portion of the story was only supposed to be like 15 minutes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
In some ways it’s an homage to King Kong

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

The school’s star athlete being a boxer is odd too. It’s like the movie has no idea what highschool is and just took its best guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

'Tis the friday before X-mas, folks, and starting at 6:30 EST, I've got a holiday lineup for you.

Gremlins

Krampus

Better Watch Out

Silent Night Deadly Night 2

And some other christmas bullshit treats!

Tune in!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
garbage day

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I couldn't stop laughing at the guy's facial expressions, like he kept swapping back and forth between serious killer face and maniacal psycho laugh almost as if he had a counter going in his head where he had to switch ever 5 seconds.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at the guy's facial expressions, like he kept swapping back and forth between serious killer face and maniacal psycho laugh almost as if he had a counter going in his head where he had to switch ever 5 seconds.

anyone else think he looks kinda like Donald Trump Jr?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

anyone else think he looks kinda like Donald Trump Jr?

His jaw is too defined for Don Jr.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I won't be able to make tonight's stream since I'm working. I hope everyone has a good time tonight.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok I watched The Tall Man with Jessica Biel expecting dollar store Slenderman, and what the absolute poo poo? I have never seen a movie go this idiotically off the rails and come to such a bonkers conclusion. Don't sleep on it like I did lmao

edit: ok collecting my thoughts about really really stupid movies, maybe Serenity (2019) compares

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

The school’s star athlete being a boxer is odd too. It’s like the movie has no idea what highschool is and just took its best guess.

Jason Takes Manhattan was made in 1989 but going by the timeline doesn't it take place in like 1998? It's sci-fi/speculative fiction really like the high school at the beginning of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didn't know Ghostface was religious

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has the thread posted best of the decade lists yet? I took a shot at my highly subjective top 10 list and I’m really not satisfied with it for a number of reasons. The decade was just really good for the genre. I feel like an rear end leaving It Follows, Midsommer and Us off of it.

1. The Witch (2015)
2. Hereditary (2018)
3. Mandy (2018)
4. The Lighthouse (2019)
5. Bone Tomahawk (2015)
6. Green Room (2015)
7. Get Out (2017)
8. Snowtown (2011)
9. A Dark Song (2016)
10. Evil Dead (2013)

https://boxd.it/4o4Iw

Yes I consider The Lighthouse a horror film and yes I like it that much. Bone Tomahawk might have been my number 1 but the stuff about the director has soured me to it that much, unfortunately. I don’t think it wholly invalidates the movie for me though.

edit: Other ones I feel like an rear end leaving off are Kill List, Mother!, As Above So Below, You’re Next and probably like 5 or 6 more. What a good horror decade.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 20, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I made a top 30 list: https://boxd.it/4codu

It started as top 25 but I couldn't narrow it down.

My top 10 are:
1. Hereditary
2. It Follows
3. The Witch
4. Mandy
5. Get Out
6. Tucker & Dale vs Evil
7. Knife + Heart
8. Revenge
9. What We Do in the Shadows
10. Raw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Not going to rank them but my top ten would be:

Evil Dead
Eyes of My Mother
Gerald's Game
Get Out
Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
Halloween
Hereditary
Lords of Salem
Mandy
Raw

Honestly this was harder than I thought it was going to be and my list would probably change a bit if I happened to post it yesterday or tomorrow.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Holy poo poo Aftershock is honestly one of the most brutally bad movies I've seen in a long time. An entire movie full of rape, wanton misery and murder, racism and hatred of women ends with one of the biggest gently caress you endings I've seen in a long time. gently caress that garbage pile of a movie.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Top 10

Mandy
The Lighthouse
Hereditary
Get Out
Green Room
It Follows
The Witch
Lords of Salem
The House that Jack Built
Halloween 2018 (for the music alone)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Eyes of My Mother
Raw
The Endless
The VVitch
Annihilation
Get Out
It Follows
A Cure For Wellness
Under the Skin
What We Do In The Shadows

Vaguely in that order, but maybe not exactly in that order. I almost put Spring on there as well but wanted to keep it to one Benson/Moorehead eh

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dang, no love for mother!.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I wanted to add it but it’s a crowded decade.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Darthemed posted:

I have it at number 16 on my list, it’s fantastic but there is a lot of stiff competition. It has been a really excellent decade for horror movies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I watched Species in theaters in 1995 as a teen. I proceeded to not think about it for 25 years, until i saw all 4(!) Species movies were added to streaming. I watched the aggressively mediocre Species 2 last night; I will be livetweeting Species 3 starting in 5m

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

i made a list

the list is in no specific order

The Lighthouse
Hereditary
One Cut of the Dead
Midsommar
It Follows
The Witch
The Babadook
Parasite
The Wailing
Under the Skin