Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Miching Mallecho posted:

Why didn’t Sheev’s lightning destroy any of the ships?

They're metal and pretty much designed to resist space radiation. The lightning did act as an ion attack, which doesn't do physical damage to ships but fucks up their electronics systems (which is why the ships were out of control and heading to crash into the ground before Rey acted).

Mat Cauthon posted:

The thing I do appreciate about the fights in the prequels is that you get some continuity in technique from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan to Anakin. Obi-Wan does Anakin's signature backflip strike over the enemy thing twice in the fight with Maul, and Qui-Gon's style is very similar to how Obi-Wan fights in the Eps 2 and 3.

There's a really cool pay-off to that in the 3rd Season Star Wars: Rebels episode, "Twin Suns."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not to defend the movie too much but Palpatine straight up says that no one has had the ability to heal with the force for centuries.

i'd bet money that line only exists because someone pointed out that there are healer classes in SWTOR

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not to defend the movie too much but Palpatine straight up says that no one has had the ability to heal with the force for centuries.

On a related note this movie made me want to play Kotor 2 for like the 37th time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MJeff posted:

JUDAS EFFECT!!!!!!

:judas:

FilthyImp posted:

For what it's worth, that battle is a whole slice of interesting and dynamic. Park did a great job selling the physicality of Maul. Probably my favorite is when the barriers separate the three and Qui-Gon just kind of zen's out in meditation while Maul paces back and forth like an anxious animal.

I love the moment where Obi-Wan and Maul are dueling, and Maul uses a Force push to send Obi-Wan into that shaft. Then in RotS while battling Anakin, Obi-Wan attempts to Force push Anakin in much the same way.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

They should let Zack Snyder direct a Star Wars trilogy.

Yes!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
shane carruth make a star war

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, Disney has enough money to resurrect Stanley Kubrick.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

I like the bit in the aftermath of Qui-Gon's death where Obi-Wan is psyching himself up just before the barrier opens.
:hmmyes: The following 40 or so seconds is still some of the best choreography in any of the movies. It was the first time any of us had seen two full-on young Jedi in their prime really going at it full speed. And that was back when they were still using metal rods in the props and were just absolutely bearing the poo poo out of each other.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bongo Bill posted:

I agree 100%

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zoran posted:

I think it’s disappointing that this trilogy doesn’t make any attempt to envision what a Jedi philosophy that overcomes the flaws of the prequel era Jedi might actually be. There’s no real sense of what it means to be a Jedi now—Rey is just sort of generically resistant to temptation and overcomes her foes by being real powerful.

So we're left with just the promise of an open future where Rey can shape the Jedi however she chooses—which is exactly where Luke was 35 years earlier.

What pisses me off is that in TLJ all of the iconography at the first Temple was black and white, hinting that BOTH light and dark sides are crucial to making a Jedi.

Wonder what is in those books, other than a quest stub for the two McGuffins

eta: although LOL a Star War about the philosophy of the Jedi, while being totally my thing, would probably be the biggest flop at the box office ever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Blast Fantasto posted:

After all of this I’d put that Rian Johnson trilogy at a pretty close to 0% chance of happening.

Just speaking personally, if I were a company and was interested in having a guy make some movies for me, one thing I would not do is make publicly disowning the previous movie that guy made for me a part of the press tour promoting the sequel to the movie the guy made for me, as well as a part of the sequel itself

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So Iger threw out Lucas’ treatments for 7/8/9 because they were too risky so they just played it safe and started with a copy of ANH. Lmao now how that played out.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He should have been paying more attention to baby yoda, then.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

For what it's worth, that battle is a whole slice of interesting and dynamic. Park did a great job selling the physicality of Maul. Probably my favorite is when the barriers separate the three and Qui-Gon just kind of zen's out in meditation while Maul paces back and forth like an anxious animal.

I never thought about this scene like that before, but that really is a good way of using body language to convey personalities and even different ideologies

Qui-Gon is waiting patiently and preparing himself mentally for the fight to resume, Maul can barely contain his anger and excitement and is relishing the chance to strike down his hated enemies

Also can we talk about how well they set up the idea that Maul was on another level from young Obi Wan and he got super lucky Maul got cocky? I also like how later on in Clone Wars and Rebels they play that up as well: Maul is VERY GOOD at dueling, but arrogant and cocky, and Obi Wan uses it to his advantage several times

It's amazing how while the prequels are not the greatest movies by any means, they have lots of little great moments a character things that these movies just don't have

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So Iger threw out Lucas’ treatments for 7/8/9 because they were too risky so they just played it safe and started with a copy of ANH. Lmao now how that played out.

It made almost a billion dollars domestically alone. That's pretty much a quarter of what they paid for Star Wars. I'd say they were happy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Kennedy is now claiming he never had any treatments. They’re trying to erase George from the picture. Kinda sounds like what that other studio did with Justice League.....

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Do these treatments exist anywhere? I'd like an idea what Locas' rough sketches were like. Darth Icky notwithstanding.

Also his inability to write dialogue people would actually say

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RudeCat posted:

He should have been paying more attention to baby yoda, then.

Palpatine doesn't have a Disney+ subscription :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ll type up my thoughts when I get home but, in descending order:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
TLJ
ROTS
TPM
AOTC
TROS

God drat.

Anyway,

MJeff posted:

JUDAS EFFECT!!!!!!

:judas:

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is a silly nitpick, but when Palpatine is telling Rey that if she kills him like she is planning to she'll actually be doing exactly what he wants its like, if you had not said anything and just like Rey kill you (or better yet, ACT like it's something that you don't want, even mock fight her for a bit) you could have gotten what you wanted!

Fake EDIT: Although to be fair this sort of fits his personality at this point. Someone who is so sure he will win and triumph, he will literally tell his plan to his to his enemy because to him there is 0% chance of failure no matter what happens.

he said a similar thing in return of the jedi so he has to say it here. that's the only reason it happens

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
There's always 2 things I enjoy about star war

Seeing it in the theater and completely turning my mind off to plot holes and bad writing and awkward dialogue and enjoying it

And then watching it get eviscerated on the internet which is equally as enjoyable

The entire movie should have been just Palps hamming it up, he was by far the most enjoyable part of the movie. Whenever Sheev wasn't on the screen I kept asking myself "Where's Sheev?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bilirubin posted:

What pisses me off is that in TLJ all of the iconography at the first Temple was black and white, hinting that BOTH light and dark sides are crucial to making a Jedi.

Wonder what is in those books, other than a quest stub for the two McGuffins

eta: although LOL a Star War about the philosophy of the Jedi, while being totally my thing, would probably be the biggest flop at the box office ever

The temple in Last Jedi also implied that Snoke might be somehow tied to the origin of the Jedi but uh, nope, apparently he was a vat-grown shmuck for Sheev.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Palpatine doesn't have a Disney+ subscription :(

Probably was waiting for the series to be out completely and then watch it all on the free trial.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

teagone posted:

Deffo feel Boyega was hugely underused and that Finn had a bunch of potential for some cool story beats but was ultimately wasted in the end.

yeah. his story had so much wasted potential. the only time they used it for any drama was with TR-88 and that was the best part of the first movie. and I guess there was the stuff with Phasma but for some reason it didn't feel real or important at all

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The Disneyland SW dance troop better include Palpatine and phasma now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Do these treatments exist anywhere? I'd like an idea what Locas' rough sketches were like. Darth Icky notwithstanding.

Also his inability to write dialogue people would actually say

Apparently his idea was to explore the nature of the Force itself, and that midi-chlorians were sentient in a fashion, creating a symbolic relationship between them, the person, and the universe.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones are better than Return of the Jedi and way, way better than any of the sequels.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He should have taken corruption rather than the lightning tree with his build then.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MJeff posted:

The temple in Last Jedi also implied that Snoke might be somehow tied to the origin of the Jedi but uh, nope, apparently he was a vat-grown shmuck for Sheev.

Honestly, the idea of Snokes being grown in a petri dish to serve as a puppet for a hidden Sith Lord is dope.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Apparently his idea was to explore the nature of the Force itself, and that midi-chlorians were sentient in a fashion, creating a symbolic relationship between them, the person, and the universe.

Yeah see gently caress that. Best to never mention midochlorians ever again

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Its Chocolate posted:

yeah. his story had so much wasted potential. the only time they used it for any drama was with TR-88 and that was the best part of the first movie. and I guess there was the stuff with Phasma but for some reason it didn't feel real or important at all

Was anybody else expecting Phasma to show up just to get her dome knocked off by Finn a third time?

Davros1 posted:

lol so he was still a massive hack, what a shock.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bongo Bill posted:

Honestly, the idea of Snokes being grown in a petri dish to serve as a puppet for a hidden Sith Lord is dope.

I like how he just had a few extra floating around in a tank when Kylo shows up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

But you don't have the look like the ruggedly handsome Temura Morrison? Madness, I say!

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
god the movie sucks balls

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bongo Bill posted:

This is so crazy it makes perfect sense.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

That's why we got the Force Dyad. Midi-chlorians in every way but name.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bilirubin posted:

Basically as bad as the message of this movie which is that bloodlines uber alles. The less we hear about how only chosen ones, whether by blood or microbes in you, can wield the force the better.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

imagine not wanting to see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MJeff posted:

how so?