Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is so crazy it makes perfect sense.

With "immaculate conception" being a thing in SW universe, you best believe he'd have soooo many Space Jesuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Brother Entropy posted:

imagine not wanting to see this

It sounds kind of difficult to make a movie out of. Like if the villains are little microscopic beings, how do you have the characters beat them?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

MJeff posted:

The temple in Last Jedi also implied that Snoke might be somehow tied to the origin of the Jedi but uh, nope, apparently he was a vat-grown shmuck for Sheev.

there's a mural on the floor of the temple with a face on it that looks very much like snoke. that plus the inexplicable name of 'first order' led to a theory that snoke was, in some way, related to the original jedi.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Eimi posted:

Basically as bad as the message of this movie which is that bloodlines uber alles. The less we hear about how only chosen ones, whether by blood or microbes in you, can wield the force the better.

Don't get me wrong. Rey as a Palpatine is my biggest gripe with this film.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones are better than Return of the Jedi and way, way better than any of the sequels.

This is the goddamn truth people

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

2house2fly posted:

It sounds kind of difficult to make a movie out of. Like if the villains are little microscopic beings, how do you have the characters beat them?

vaccination?

wait its a perfect message for our time

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Image is too big to paste here and I'm too lazy to resize it. Google Snoke Jedi Temple, you'll see it.

Davros1 posted:

That's why we got the Force Dyad. Midi-chlorians in every way but name.

From the second they revealed Rey is Sheev's granddaughter, all I could think was "this goes back on TLJ and adds NOTHING to the movie". But apparently they needed it for this loving Force Dyad thing, so can somebody explain what the hell a Force Dyad is and why we needed Rey to have a super special bloodline for it?

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
still thinking about how Star wars started as the rebels (brand new passion product from a young Hollywood outsider, unexpected success) and became the Empire (Disney slavishly reproducing hollow nostalgia and forcing movie theaters to show it on their terms)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Brother Entropy posted:

imagine not wanting to see this

What about that sounds even remotely interesting or appealing to you? Honest question.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

was it said that the midichlorians would be villains from what lucas was planning or are you doing a 'kreia was right' bit?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Kennedy is now claiming he never had any treatments. They’re trying to erase George from the picture. Kinda sounds like what that other studio did with Justice League.....

Kennedy said George never wrote any screenplays. She did say he provided summaries of ideas he had in mind for other Star Wars movies, i.e., story treatments. Treatments are not scripts. They never used George's treatments and instead relied on Abrams and Ardnt to come up with the story for what would eventually become The Force Awakens.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

KaptainKrunk posted:

Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones are better than Return of the Jedi and way, way better than any of the sequels.

Attack of the Clones might be the worst movie I've seen. It's either that or when my parents made me take my sister to Spy Kids 2.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MJeff posted:

Image is too big to paste here and I'm too lazy to resize it. Google Snoke Jedi Temple, you'll see it.

Eh. Yeah not really buying it myself. Could explain how he got that nasty forehead divot though.

You know, I like the vat of lovely Snoke clones. Makes sense. When you don't pay the Camino cloners and have to "maker" your own you have to go with whatever is even remotely viable.

Unrelated thought: I never took the crowd in the auditorium for the ceremony for killing Palps as actually existing as anything other than projection.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

there's a mural on the floor of the temple with a face on it that looks very much like snoke. that plus the inexplicable name of 'first order' led to a theory that snoke was, in some way, related to the original jedi.

The mural on the floor was more emblematic of the yin and yang symbol. No idea how you could see Snoke in that, lmao.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Snoke mosaic reminds me of the Darth Jar Jar theory floating around for a while

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm more concerned with where the hell he found the people to man that fleet than where the giant sith crowd came from.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Looks exactly like Snoke, I see it now.

:razz:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bilirubin posted:

The Snoke mosaic reminds me of the Darth Jar Jar theory floating around for a while

So you're saying it owns, I agree.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

teagone posted:

Kennedy said George never wrote any screenplays. She did say he provided summaries of ideas he had in mind for other Star Wars movies, i.e., story treatments. Treatments are not scripts. They never used George's treatments and instead relied on Abrams and Ardnt to come up with the story for what would eventually become The Force Awakens.

Kennedy also said making movies is hard because Star Wars didn't have any comic books or novels that could be adapted for such a thing. On the eve of releasing a movie that rehashes a Star Wars Comic/Novel.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

Vaccine? Quarantine? Scientists in space suits?

I mean, you never saw Outbreak or Contagion?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MJeff posted:

I'm more concerned with where the hell he found the people to man that fleet than where the giant sith crowd came from.

I'm not. I took the ships rising as an automation thing done by Palps as a sales job, then Kylo goes back and gathers up folks to fly the poo poo, and they are still getting it all sorted.

Finding the old dude that I do not recognize to play NotThrawn that worked for the Emperor before was probably one way to get a lot of upper officers if they weren't already First Order. He was great I thought.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Bilirubin posted:

I'm not. I took the ships rising as an automation thing done by Palps as a sales job, then Kylo goes back and gathers up folks to fly the poo poo, and they are still getting it all sorted.

So they're flying in thousands of new crew for their fleet, but also it's a secret planet that you need a special compass to find?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Onmi posted:

Kennedy also said making movies is hard because Star Wars didn't have any comic books or novels that could be adapted for such a thing. On the eve of releasing a movie that rehashes a Star Wars Comic/Novel.

Cool. I'm mostly just pointing out the difference between story treatments and scripts/screenplays because I've seen several goons mix up the two.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MJeff posted:

So you're saying it owns, I agree.

We gotta entertain ourselves somehow between movies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What about that sounds even remotely interesting or appealing to you? Honest question.

a) it's something new, and after five movies of disney star wars anything that sounds new is gonna sound appealing
b) i have a weakness for dumb psychic hippy bullshit in my space opera and that paragraph definitely qualifies
c) i love the spite involved with lucas seeing nerds get real mad over such a throwaway detail as midichlorians in the prequels and going 'you know what? i'm gonna make them the main focus next time!'

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

So they're flying in thousands of new crew for their fleet, but also it's a secret planet that you need a special compass to find?

Kylo already charted the path for them.

See Rey doing the same for the rando flotilla

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Eifert Posting posted:

Attack of the Clones might be the worst movie I've seen. It's either that or when my parents made me take my sister to Spy Kids 2.

Anakin : [telling Padme about the Sand People] I... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women... and the children, too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!

Padme(paraphrased): Oh, Annie! Wanton slaughter makes me sooooo hot for you!

I still recall a bit from Legends of Tomorrow where the characters are under assault from the genetic copies of one of the other characters and Ray says, "This is the second worst attack of the clones I've ever seen."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Saw it. Soooo much to unpack, but some initial thoughts...

- loving hell the frenetic batshit pacing for the first half of the movie. Soooooo much stuff that could have been separate movies
- the whole movie felt like it was pulled from a random set of old Dark Horse comics
- Darth Voldemort was something.
- speaking of Sheev, when they reveal hes back, nobody acted remotely surprised. At least some disbelief would have been nice to see, but everyone seemed to be like, "oh yeah, of course the space wizard killed at Endor is back with thousands of manned star destroyers with planet killer guns
- why does a "Supreme Leader" need to go down and fight alongside his troops so often?
- mcguffins! So many of them. The movie was 2/3rds a fetch quest series
- the sequel trilogy did for Leia what the OT did for Luke, just not as impactful
- I know the Force isnt real, but the "force dyad" poo poo and Reylo being able to transfer tangible items through time and space was weird
- it will take Youtubers 3 years to name every godamn ship that showed up at the end

If you read my spoiler'd text, you may be surprised to learn that I mostly enjoyed the movie. I'd rank it a little higher than the prequels, but the least of episodes 4 - 9.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I just saw this movie and it was dogshit from the start when the end of the first paragraph of the title crawl spoiled itself, which is funny because the trailers ALSO spoiled that reveal but it's like they went out of their way to take any mystery of discovery out of the film even for people who avoid the surrounding media blitz.

Having just watched A Marriage Story after missing most of Driver's other recent roles, I think he did okay given what he had, but wow this movie had the pace, lack of coherence, and stakes of a kid's show, which it IS, gently caress me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, let's go through my notes.

This film never shuts up and it gave me an immense headache. It started off on the wrong foot with the first 15~20 minutes being incredibly rushed and choppy, and my mood only got worse from there. It's such a loving mess. It's not a fluke of the beginning either, the cinematography is nauseating throughout and I am not kidding about that headache. I think it was all the strobing that did it, I'm not even epileptic and that hurt me after a bit.

Leia, holy poo poo. Talk about desecrating Carrie Fisher's memory. Everyone talked at, not with, Leia. Dialogue with her was so obviously inorganic and jarring that I just felt sorry for her all over again. That's the only thing that brought me near to tears in the movie - I'm ashamed on her behalf. I feel the need to apologize to her.

You can really tell that this movie is actually two movies mashed together. Everything proceeds at breakneck speed and you don't have time to understand what the gently caress just happened before the situation changes dramatically. The script and story is complete penis, too. Lines are prequel-level cheesy. Characters make choices solely to advance the plot as needed. The Force is reduced to just Bullshit Incarnate that does whatever the plot needs to happen. e.g.: Rey's Force lightning, Rey vs. Ben via Force Bond, Finn's plot-sensitive Force premonitions (not Finn's Force sensitivity itself, that's fine). Don't get me started on the big points as we saw in the leaks. The film has no subtlety, it has no brain cells, it's just dire stupidity all the way.

Zorri needs her own series. Get on it, Disney.

Oh, the "heheeeeeey!!!" from Frik was funny as poo poo. I love Frik, he's my favorite character in the entire movie. God drat I love Frik.

Nobody in the theater had any reaction whatsoever to the Rey-is-a-Palpatine reveal.

I died laughing on the inside at Hux's fate. I'M THE SPY :haw: and almost immediately afterwards gets shot by Pryde, I found the spy guys!!!!!!!!! They hosed him so goddamn hard. B-movie level hilarity.

Leia's death is badly executed and it just comes off like they're trying to milk Carrie's real life death as hard as possible. Shameful.

There is exactly one good scene in the movie, and it's when Ben has his hallucination of Han. The premise surrounding it is moronic (and I get that it's metaphorical), but divorced of that, the scene and especially the acting are genuinely great. Harrison Ford and Adam Driver are great actors, and I respect the hell out of them. "Dad..." "I know". drat.

Hey, is it just me, or does the score suck some serious poo poo in this movie? Not only does it feel really weirdly timed, the movie is too noisy to let the score do its drat work - the music is meant to accentuate and highlight the scene, not get drowned out by PEW PEW KABOOM. And the orchestra only knew like two songs anyway, the Imperial March and the Force Theme. Lord, the Force Theme. I hate the Force Theme now. If I never hear the Force Theme again, it will be too soon.

Also, what was the point of D-O knowing how to get to Exogol if Rey shows them how to get there anyway?

Then some stupid garbage we all know about happens once we get to Exogol. Sigh. I just wanted to go home at this point.

The near-wipeout during the big ship "battle" at the end is cheap as gently caress. ...but I did get a little excited when a shitload of ships showed up to the Main Theme. Just a little.

Yoda's voice in the midst of all the Jedi voices caught me off guard and I laughed and the people next to me looked at me like dirt. gently caress them.

Ben embracing dead Rey has all the energy of a basement dweller clutching his ruined realdoll.

Theater reaction to the kiss:

quote:

Yo they're cousins! :lol:

First Order SDs crumbling makes no sense, poor R2 has been ignored all this time, the audience looks so very tired, oh god they're some weird Jesus painting now, I regret this movie, I regret this movie, gently caress.

gently caress.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

teagone posted:

Looks exactly like Snoke, I see it now.

:razz:

It does look like a bulbous-headed alien. Maybe they were trying to evoke "grey aliens" or something, but I can totally see them throwing that in as a hint that Snoke is from some ancient race with a primal connection to the Force or what have you

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm so tired of all these star wars.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm so tired of all these star wars.

Well, suck it up, buttercup. The season finale of The Madalorian comes a week from now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's so loving insane that someone in a writer's room brainstorm said "what about a million billion star destroyers with death star lasers on each one" and instead of killing that person as politely as possible everyone else present just nodded thoughtfully

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just announced by Disney, a new trilogy called Star Reconstruction!

With its three subtitles: DeFirstOrderfication, WarCrimesTrials and InfrastructureAppropriations

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pollyanna posted:

This film never shuts up and it gave me an immense headache. It started off on the wrong foot with the first 15~20 minutes being incredibly rushed and choppy, and my mood only got worse from there. It's such a loving mess. It's not a fluke of the beginning either, the cinematography is nauseating throughout and I am not kidding about that headache. I think it was all the strobing that did it, I'm not even epileptic and that hurt me after a bit.

Good post in general but holy gently caress I feel this.

The first 20 minutes don't fit into the act structure in any way shape or form. It's like they took every beat that should have been in episode 2 and tossed them into a "previously on" segment.

The edit is sort of tolerable in the middle, but as soon as we get to the sith planet gabbagool or whatever I have zero sense of what's happening anymore. I just need a god drat establishing shot holy gently caress. Oh wow, that palpatine robot wide shot is cool, why didn't they open with that? Wait, why did they cut to a loving stadium crowd? Are those people? Why isn't anything lit? Wait a second, they're directly below the battle? HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF AN EXTERIOR ESTABLISHING WIDE SHOT JESUS CHRIST

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pretty sad that they just did the first star wars again, but bad. I mean what do you expect from a soulless corporate conglomerate but on the other hand eugh. George Lucas should have held onto it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MJeff posted:

lol so he was still a massive hack, what a shock.

whatever feelings you may have about midichlorians, doubling down on them is pretty much the opposite of what a hack would do

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think I personally enjoyed this movie more than Last Jedi, but that was mostly because I was able to spend most of the runtime laughing at how bad it was.

boy howdy what a dumb film.

e: The very first words of the opening crawl set my expectations for the rest of the film and oh boy it did not disappoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Its Chocolate posted:

still thinking about how Star wars started as the rebels (brand new passion product from a young Hollywood outsider, unexpected success) and became the Empire (Disney slavishly reproducing hollow nostalgia and forcing movie theaters to show it on their terms)

It’s like poetry...