Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Hammerite posted:

this question just popped into my head so I came in here to ask all the people who are maybe slightly a little bit too keen on posting about The Simpsons, but it's ok, I forgive you:

How is Flanders translated? Like all the hi neighbourino, indeedy doodliness and all that, how do they render that in French say?

In German they just do German equivalents of him adding cutesy suffixes to things and whatnot, plus just his usual nonsense talk that works in German too. In German, there is a cutesy suffix called "-chen" that you can attach to most words to make them sound more small and harmless, something Flanders does a bunch in German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

In the most recent Family Guy, Meg has to hold Stewie on Santa's lap because Santa freaks Stewie out. Santa starts tapping his knee to calm Stewie and this gives Meg her first orgasm, and she spends the rest of the episode trying to find that same Santa to repeat it. If there was a B plot, I've already forgotten it.

:stare:

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I thought it was pretty believable myself.

At least Family Guy is consistently weird/gross/outlandish with the occasional slam-dunk joke. I don't know what to expect from a modern Simpsons episode other than disappointment.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I’m watching the new one (Christmas/Baby Shark) and this is absolute piss.

Edit: Holy poo poo Julie Kaver sounds like death.

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 18, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

I always thought it was weird how in one episode Skeeter turns out to be a hyper genius? But he doesn't really seem like a hyper genius in the other episodes.

don't they explain this by the fact that he only demonstrates his intelligence when it comes to test taking only and not in any other way? it was the same with Amp from Superhuman Samurai: Syber Squad

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As absurd as that Family Guy episode sounds, it was actually decent. Family Guy seems to care about the writing quality again, it's been noticeable for this season and last season.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It sounds extremely bad, so if they managed to make an entertaining episode out of it I have to admit that's impressive

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Family guy has its moments but I can't stand the constant sexism. I can get edgy dark humor elsewhere without the "god, women, am I right" attitude

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phlegmish posted:

It sounds extremely bad, so if they managed to make an entertaining episode out of it I have to admit that's impressive

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dracky posted:

Family guy has its moments but I can't stand the constant sexism. I can get edgy dark humor elsewhere without the "god, women, am I right" attitude

They had an episode in the last few seasons where they separated the writing credits between the men and women writers but there was only one woman and like 20 dudes. IIRC they did it to illustrate why the episode was sexist or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They had an episode in the last few seasons where they separated the writing credits between the men and women writers but there was only one woman and like 20 dudes. IIRC they did it to illustrate why the episode was sexist or something.
Hey guys it's totally cool that the show is sexist because 20 of the writers are men and only one is a woman so it's ok?

Or am I missing something here? Because that is how I interpret them being so moronic . :psyduck:

Hey guys it's totally cool that the show is racist because 20 of the writers are white and only one is black so it's ok?
Hey guys it's totally cool that the show is antisemitic because 20 of the writers are nazis and only one is a jew so it's ok?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Hey guys it's totally cool that the show is sexist because 20 of the writers are men and only one is a woman so it's ok?

Or am I missing something here? Because that is how I interpret them being so moronic . :psyduck:

Hey guys it's totally cool that the show is racist because 20 of the writers are white and only one is black so it's ok?
Hey guys it's totally cool that the show is antisemitic because 20 of the writers are nazis and only one is a jew so it's ok?

I think I'm not remembering it well.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I`m surprised you can remember how to breathe after watching 20 years of bad Simpsons

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dracky posted:

Family Guy is not a woke show, and hasn’t been for years and years.

It makes a woke comment every now and then, but for every one woke thing it does there’s at least another 50 extremely unwoke ones.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The show ends with Sideshow Bob watching live action It's A Wonderful Life and then singing a Baby It's Cold Outside parody with his lighthouse keeper girlfriend. And then it ends again with Burns getting a pep talk from Steve Ballmer.

I thought Sideshow Bob had a wife (and son) now? From the Italy episode.

Edit: I Googled. The writers either forgot or didn't care.

Min_sora fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 21, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Min_sora posted:

I thought Sideshow Bob had a wife (and son) now? From the Italy episode.

Edit: I Googled. The writers either forgot or didn't care.

I think they're in jail?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The writers? If only

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Small mercy to never hear the word "vendetta" ever again. Not that it matters much because consistent continuity isn't gonna save this show.

Hell, peak simpsons had little regard for continuity and it was fine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I caught that episode by chance one day and watched it out of terror, mouth agape the entire time.

The vendetta thing was so loving forced.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Frank "Grimy" Grimes Junior

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I. M. Gei posted:

Family Guy is not a woke show, and hasn’t been for years and years.

It makes a woke comment every now and then, but for every one woke thing it does there’s at least another 50 extremely unwoke ones.

Family Guy has always been the show with the shock humor that teenagers (including me back in the day) find hilarious but adults like me now just go "huh". It works for them and makes them money because teenagers will forever be around and at 34 I just let it be instead of being the guy that talks about "the children being wrong".

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I think they're in jail?

His whole family is, I think, but I figure if he can keep getting out then the rest of them could. Also because I saw that new ep and the woman asks him 'Do you want kids?' and he has this hallucination about Bart and I thought it was weird because he does actually have a kid, they just don't acknowledge it.

Sentient Data posted:

Frank "Grimy" Grimes Junior

This is Maude-dying levels of the show not giving a poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

dracky posted:

I'm not saying misogyny isn't rampant within Family Guy, but the Asian and Jew jokes are MUCH more common. It almost feels like the show goes after them so aggressively because they're the only people it's still relatively socially acceptable to make fun of. Trashy New Englanders are a much funnier target, but Family Guy values edge over humor.

Speaking of Seth MacFarlane & constant sexism, I was watching Cleveland Show and the amount of misogyny throughout the show is disconcerting. The two most prominent examples I can think of are Cleveland tricking Donna into doing all the housework after she goes as far as faking an injury so she can catch a break and Cleveland calling Roberta "doomed" & claiming that raising teenage girls is impossible. Bleh.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I caught that episode by chance one day and watched it out of terror, mouth agape the entire time.

The vendetta thing was so loving forced.

This is the most recent Simpsons episode I've seen. Part of me wants to watch Lisa Goes Gaga out of morbid curiosity, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whatever The Cleveland Show is perfect and I’ve watched all 4 seasons like 15 times. I like it more than American Dad, which I happen to think of as brilliant Americana satire.

Family Guy is honestly the same as it’s always been, 80 jokes crammed into 20 minutes.

Looking to ANY cartoon for “woke” attitudes is idiocy, because then you end up with wishywashy garbage like Steven Universe where the major take-home lesson of the show is “always forgive your abusers and comfort them no matter how many times they abuse you and take advantage of you”

The best way to handle any social issue is the gay episode of simpsons where they make some jokes and in the end the character with the hang up loosens up and realizes they were being a jerk, end of episode.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You might have seen that show more than anyone on earth, makes u think (how much it sucks.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cleveland is a funnier character than any other McFarlane property, and he has the best supporting cast of friends.

Like Peter’s crew was literally “a black guy, a handicapped guy, and a rape guy” and it took NO JOKE like 10 years to develop them. Out of gate Cleveland had a way funnier and more nuanced group of friends, so they were much easier to write good gags for.

Stan Smith just has like 4 guys in suits with interchangeable addictions and traits.

When I was growing up Barney was Homer’s best friend but my understanding is that they sobered Barney up and don’t really use him anymore. Does Homer ever really do things with his friends anymore?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm intrigued now, I don't think I've ever actually watched a Cleveland Show episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like with all McFarlane vehicles, skip season 1 and go straight to season 2. The one where Terry comes out as Bisexual or the one where Loretta’s secret handicapped boyfriend returns from overseas are both amazing, also the one where Cleveland pimps Terry out to cougars is good.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

edit: sorry I don't want to fight. it's christmas

dracky fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

Cleveland is a funnier character than any other McFarlane property, and he has the best supporting cast of friends.

Like Peter’s crew was literally “a black guy, a handicapped guy, and a rape guy” and it took NO JOKE like 10 years to develop them. Out of gate Cleveland had a way funnier and more nuanced group of friends, so they were much easier to write good gags for.

Stan Smith just has like 4 guys in suits with interchangeable addictions and traits.

When I was growing up Barney was Homer’s best friend but my understanding is that they sobered Barney up and don’t really use him anymore. Does Homer ever really do things with his friends anymore?

At first I thought this was ridiculous but as I thought about it I agree with it a little bit. Holt and Tim are actually very funny characters with their own fun episodes, I am not a fan of Lester though, it's lame to have Cleveland be friends with an open racist. Although you shouldn't compare the dads friend groups alone, because that leaves out Steves friend group, which is hilarious.

And I think Roger is the best character that Seth MacFarlane ever came up with, he's a friend group unto himself.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

Whatever The Cleveland Show is perfect and I’ve watched all 4 seasons like 15 times. I like it more than American Dad, which I happen to think of as brilliant Americana satire.

I've watched Cleveland Show as much as you have, if not more. It's a fun show, but the misogyny was hard to ignore after a couple of runthroughs. I don't like it more than American Dad, but I like it.

quote:

wishywashy garbage like Steven Universe where the major take-home lesson of the show is “always forgive your abusers and comfort them no matter how many times they abuse you and take advantage of you”

I have never seen Steven Universe, but yikes.

Bust Rodd posted:

Steve Smith is pretty great. (edit: also Roger, as the poster above me pointed out.)

quote:

Like Peter's crew was literally "a black guy, a handicapped guy, and a rape guy" and it took NO JOKE like 10 years to develop them. Out of gate Cleveland had a way funnier and more nuanced group of friends, so they were much easier to write good gags for.

Agreed.

quote:

Steve's friends > Stan's friends/coworkers.

Bust Rodd posted:

Like with all McFarlane vehicles, skip season 1 and go straight to season 2. The one where Terry comes out as Bisexual or the one where Loretta's secret handicapped boyfriend returns from overseas are both amazing, also the one where Cleveland pimps Terry out to cougars is good.

It was Donna who had the boyfriend in the wheelchair. Also, my favorite episodes are the one where Cleveland goes on a diet that makes him fart all the time and the one where the family moves to LA so Cleveland can scout for the Dodgers. I have other episodes that I like that have abysmal B-plots (the one where Cleveland Jr. works at the bar is probably the best example). Also, any episode that centers around Rallo is automatically my least favorite.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 21, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Donna is easily the most empowered woman in the MacFarlane universe and it’s not even close, the misogyny jokes are omnipresent across Family Guy, American Dad (almost all of it from Stan’s mouth) and Cleveland, but Donna is the only woman who ever makes her own decisions and has her own agency in any plot so

dracky posted:

Sorry I didn't realize all those "women are stupid bitches" jokes were the only thing keeping the show from turning into Steven Universe. My mistake

You can completely miss me with this piping hot take.

I also think Lester and Cleveland being close friends despite Lester being a racist is basically what being a black person with white friends in VA is like. Lester is a good character, I hate his fat wife though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I can't think of anything that makes Donna seem more empowered than Lois or Francine.

Re: Lester's wife, I have no idea how Aseem Batra made that voice, but I hope she never does again.

edit: maybe we should go back to talking about The Simpsons...

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 21, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have never seen Steven Universe

Neither might Rodd, because "Steven Universe tells you to ignore abuse" is a YouTube ranter level take. It's not a perfect show and has had its missteps but it's by far not the evil abuser stanning parade hot takes on Twitter portray it as. It's a kids show made by a queer person with very reaffirming portrayals of LGBT identities and that's something worth building on, I'd love if there were more TV shows continuing the trend and improving on its pre-decessors. There is room for all sorts of representation on TV, humorous, earnest, etc as long as it gives a poo poo about how it handles its subject matter. You can think SU sucks, sure, but its inclusion of female and queer characters is pretty unprecedented on kids TV and the media landscape could really use more places that teaches kids in earnest that being gay/trans/etc is okay.

When it comes to making people feel included, I feel like the Simpsons has honestly gotten worse over the years. I felt the jokes about Smithers being gay for instance got more overt and somehow more ignorant. The Apu fiasco really showed the showrunners' hand in a bad way and made it clear that they don't care about how their "humor" is received. Cartoons don't need to be some bastion of wokeness but so blatantly not giving a poo poo about how culture has changed is terrible. It basically says "Lol gently caress you" to the genuine concern of a significant group of people. Even if you disagree with criticisms brought forward, the Apu reference in that one episode is the worst possible way to handle it.

I'll take a well intended, ambitious, sometimes fumbling show like Steven Universe over an intellectually lazy, blatantly dismissive show like the modern Simpsons any day. Your mileage may vary and that's fine, but as a queer person myself who would have definitely benefit from more shows like SU being on TV when I was a kid, I know I'd rather have something that tries than something that tries less and less.

I personally never cared for the edgy craziness of Family Guy and never checked out Cleveland Show so I can't speak for that. Just my 2 cents.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also uh, I'm kinda struggling to see where that SU read comes from. There are plenty of places (one of which aired just in the last couple weeks) that address emotional/physical abuse head-on and do not excuse the abuser at all. They do it through a layer of metaphors of course, but depicting and identifying psychologically healthful relationships is kind of the show's entire purpose in existence

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Ritznit posted:

When it comes to making people feel included, I feel like the Simpsons has honestly gotten worse over the years. I felt the jokes about Smithers being gay for instance got more overt and somehow more ignorant.

I recall a modern Simpsons ep (although if I look it up it's probably about 20 years old) where Homer has a fight with Marge and moves in with two gay guys. They asked Harvey Fierstein to reprise his role as Carl from season 2, and he turned them down. He said:

“Years later they contacted me when they wanted Carl to return. But I didn’t really like their approach. It had nothing to do with my character. Homer and Marge have a fight, and she throws him out and he has no place to stay, and he runs into Carl, who sets him up with a pair of gay men. All they needed me for was to introduce him to these gay guys. But the script was basically just a lot of very clever gay jokes, and there wasn’t that Simpsons twist. Jim Brooks and Matt Groening and those writers have always added that extra something beneath the surface, and it just wasn’t there. Basically, Homer just had a lot of fun hanging out with gay men, and drinking in bars, and dancing at discos, and all that, and there was nothing – there was no commentary there. Every restaurant had a silly gay name. They gym had a silly gay name. They were all double entendres, obviously. And I said, “Anybody could do this. You’re the loving Simpsons. Do something we have never seen before.”

And let me say that it was very flattering that they asked me to do it. Jim Brooks said, “You know, you’re the very first voice we ever asked to come back and do it again.” I was surprised. I asked, “Why do they need me to introduce them to this gay couple? Why wouldn’t he move in with Carl and his partner?” Then I started thinking, Maybe [sic] they just wanted my stamp of approval on it because it was just a bunch of clichés.”

Kind of sums it up, really.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtdsGLvngc

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Min_sora posted:

Jim Brooks said, “You know, you’re the very first voice we ever asked to come back and do it again.”

That can't possibly be true, right? There's Kelsey Grammer and Danny de Vito at the very least.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
God drat to this day this particular line about Police Academy is so loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HuIILdA8Lg

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Communist Walrus posted:

That can't possibly be true, right? There's Kelsey Grammer and Danny de Vito at the very least.

Sideshow Bob came back the first time in season 3, and Simpson and Delilah was in Season 2 so it is possible he was the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Black women are ashamed of their natural hair - a joke the Cleveland Show finds so hilarious it just just keeps making it over and over.