Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Chita is around $20 or so in Japan

Perhaps you saw it on sale or something, but the MSRP is 3800 yen, as it has been since it was released in 2015. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.

For Japanese grain whiskies, though not easy to find (even in Japan), Kirin Fuji-Gotemba's single grain releases are awesome. They basically spent three decades with Seagram/Chivas to learn how to make the stuff.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Thanks so much for the insight on the Chita. I loving hate Toki.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've been singing the praises of Lismore's undated expression, because it's tasty and only $17 from Trader Joes. This season they have the Lismore 15 and 18 for $32 and $40 respectively. I haven't tried the 18, but the 15 is smooth, spicy, full-flavored, and has a good finish. At $32 it's a steal. I'm planning to give several bottles as gifts this year, and grab a few for myself.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ardbeg Corry is fantastic.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Perhaps you saw it on sale or something, but the MSRP is 3800 yen, as it has been since it was released in 2015. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.

For Japanese grain whiskies, though not easy to find (even in Japan), Kirin Fuji-Gotemba's single grain releases are awesome. They basically spent three decades with Seagram/Chivas to learn how to make the stuff.

My friend went to Japan and picked up a bottle at that price a year or two back. 3800 yen is insane and laughable.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've been getting into scotch recently, after only drinking bourbon & rye for years and being turned off by college-days shots of Clan McGregor and Dewers. I've currently got Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal, and Glenmorangie; I really enjoy how vastly different all three are. What would you recommend trying next, in the sub-$60 range?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Toebone posted:

I've been getting into scotch recently, after only drinking bourbon & rye for years and being turned off by college-days shots of Clan McGregor and Dewers. I've currently got Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal, and Glenmorangie; I really enjoy how vastly different all three are. What would you recommend trying next, in the sub-$60 range?

Most of the single malts in the OP are in that range and worth a try

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Toebone posted:

Laphroaig quarter cask is pretty cheap in the US. It's my favorite. It's an Islay which means it's peaty or smoky tasting but not overwhelming like some other Islays.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Toebone posted:

Lismore (see above), Balvenie, Jura, and Oban.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

I would hop on board the sherried Scotch train or try something with a load of peat.

I'm a big fan of Compass Box's Great King Street Glasgow Blend, which is a well-sherried blended Scotch with a moderate peat influence and plenty of fruit notes. It has a little bit of everything and should be pretty affordable at ~$35.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I found Wild Turkey 101 for $17 at Schnucks today. Yoink

:bisonyes:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dang. Costs like $35 here.
My favourite juice for an old fashioned though!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
One Costco around here had glenlivet triple packs on sale for $100.

Glenlivet 14
Glenlivet 15
Glenlivet 18

Pretty good deal!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

DoctaFun posted:

Glenlivet 14
Glenlivet 15
Glenlivet 18

Pretty good deal!

Considering Glenlivet 18 is around $90 minimum these days, that’s amazing.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Considering Glenlivet 18 is around $90 minimum these days, that’s amazing.

I'd guess it's one of those packs with three 200ml bottles.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

They've sold that pack before and it was 3 full sized bottles.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

A coworker gifted me a bottle of Laphroaig Lore and I love it. It's like a better version of Quarter Cask. Not sure if it's worth twice the price of Quarter Cask, though.

mango sentinel posted:

They've sold that pack before and it was 3 full sized bottles.

:eyepop:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Full size bottles! My Costco has it at $150 :(.

My Costco also had Glendronach 18 at $139.99 s d it’s sooo tempting.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

DoctaFun posted:

Full size bottles! My Costco has it at $150 :(.

My Costco also had Glendronach 18 at $139.99 s d it’s sooo tempting.

Yeah not so tempting at $150. I like the 18 quite a lot, but not enough to pay $60 just to basically never drink the 14 and 15... Maybe I could regift them...

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Regift the 14 to me please

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I find Glenlivet 12 to be too anodyne to bother with. What can you tell me about the other ages?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If anyone cares, here's a Laphroaig code:
72EBBD

Quote if you use it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

mango sentinel posted:

I find Glenlivet 12 to be too anodyne to bother with. What can you tell me about the other ages?

Read this as androgyne and was really loving confused

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Called around and found a bottle of stagg jr yesterday, woohoo!

Then I traded a guy a bottle of EHT single barrel for a bottle of stagg jr.

Then I traded a guy an eagle rare store pick + cash for a bottle of stagg jr.

Tomorrow I’m trading a 1.75 of Weller SR for a bottle of stagg jr.

So that...escalated quickly. I’ll have three batches now, and a couple gifts for my bourbon living uncles!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Picked up a bottle of Woodford Rye and I'm not entirely pleased with it, seems a little thin, lacking depth.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

sharkytm posted:

If anyone cares, here's a Laphroaig code:
72EBBD

Quote if you use it.

Thanks!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

Glenlivet 14
Glenlivet 15
Glenlivet 18

Pretty good deal!

Mine has the triple pack but it's 12-14-15 sadly.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Called around and found a bottle of stagg jr yesterday, woohoo!

Then I traded a guy a bottle of EHT single barrel for a bottle of stagg jr.

Then I traded a guy an eagle rare store pick + cash for a bottle of stagg jr.

Tomorrow I’m trading a 1.75 of Weller SR for a bottle of stagg jr.

So that...escalated quickly. I’ll have three batches now, and a couple gifts for my bourbon living uncles!

There's a store near me that's got a couple of bottles of Stagg Jr. sitting at 74.99 each. TBH, I'm kind of tempted to go and buy one more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gravitee posted:

Try something lower proof like Basil Hayden's. It won't burn as much. There's nothing wrong with adding an ice cube or water to something to make it drinkable. Just over time, add less until your pallet gets used to it. I definitely add something to higher proof bourbons. Sometimes it opens up new flavors and it's definitely one of the neat things about whiskey.

Ended up getting basil Hayden’s because it was the only recommended one that my exchange had besides wild turkey 101.

I tried it on ice first and it was great-then I tried it straight and it was awesome too!
There’s an ABC near me that has Elijah Craig small batch as well so I might check that out too.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I like Elijah Craig Small Batch. Just poured myself a bit to refresh my memory. It's sweet and rich (I get caramel, apple, and vanilla) but has some alcohol burn and a little rye heat at the end. Good on the rocks too.

I drank WT101 neat for the first time last night after this thread convinced me it wasn't just a bar mixer. It's good! Then I made myself an Old Fashioned (with Sazerac rye, Angostura, and homemade demerara syrup). Also a first for me and it was as good as anything I've had in a bar. Buying one of those giant cube molds was a pro purchase.

Also, follow-up:

Discussion Quorum posted:

2) Suggestions for a Scotch in the $50-60 range. ... I'd like something with some light smoke/peat and some seaside character, but not all the way to Laphroaig 10 year.. I've tried that and liked it, but it's more of a one glass every few months kind of thing. I've had other Scotches and liked them all, but besides Lagavulin 16 and an Oban they're kind of a blur.

She got me Dalwhinnie 15 and Jura 10. We opened the Dalwhinnie tonight. It's good, and she likes it too even though there's a little peat at the end, which is normally not her thing. The Jura sounds like it will be closer to what I was originally looking for.

We also got 50ml samplers of Tomintoul 14 and 16. Neither of us liked the 16 much, although I thought the 14 was okay (but I would not buy a bottle at $60). Not that I'm an expert at whiskey tasting, but the 16 in particular was too thin on the palate to stand up to the spicy finish. I saw a reviewer describe the 14 as "stabby" and I think that fits.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Friend picked up the Nick Offerman Lagavulin 11 for my birthday, which is actually pretty solid despite the branding. A little more aggressive than the 16, but hits a lot of the right notes for me. Christmas brought Kilchoman Sanaig and Glenfarclas 17 which I just cracked with dessert and whoops, I think I have the scotch bug again.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

She got me Dalwhinnie 15 and Jura 10. We opened the Dalwhinnie tonight. It's good, and she likes it too even though there's a little peat at the end, which is normally not her thing. The Jura sounds like it will be closer to what I was originally looking for.

Trip report part 2: the Jura 10 is OK. It hits some of the right notes but not always in the right way. Starts sweet and evolves into something more nutty as it moves back on the palate... but that nuttiness is more like stale walnuts. The finish is slightly briny and smoky (which I like), but it fades and the final note is just a fairly blank astringent sensation which I don't find very pleasant.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That advent calendar was well worth it. I need to go through my posts on fb to pick out my top rated bottles, but there were definitely a few near the top that I would not have looked at twice in the store because the labels seemed unbearably hipster-ish. This will give me a nice wishlist for the next bottles I want to try to find in 2020.

On the other hand, there were a few absolute garbage days, but I'm so glad I got to find that out without having to shell out for a whole bottle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Trip report part 2: the Jura 10 is OK. It hits some of the right notes but not always in the right way. Starts sweet and evolves into something more nutty as it moves back on the palate... but that nuttiness is more like stale walnuts. The finish is slightly briny and smoky (which I like), but it fades and the final note is just a fairly blank astringent sensation which I don't find very pleasant.

I always thought jura 10 is bottled before it's prime. The 15yo is much much better but it's very hard to find.

nurikabe
Jul 16, 2012

Is the best bet for an intensely peaty scotch still Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nurikabe posted:

Is the best bet for an intensely peaty scotch still Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10?

Laphroaig is slightly smokier. Ardbeg is slightly better. they're both insanely good drams.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I find Ardbeg delightful. I find Laphroaig medicinal. Both are peat bombs but tastes vary.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I got a job as a whiskey expert in a liquor store and i would like to thank lurking this thread for information and also say its the best kob ive had in the customer service field. my day consists of hauling whiskey around and telling people to buy expensive whiskey, in a store that carries probably 500 different varieties of whiskey. its pretty dope.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I was at a relative's house for Christmas and sampled a little of his bottle of Caol Ila 18. It was really good. How much does it cost compared to the more common 12 year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Prices vary depending on your location. In general I'd say about 3-4x as expensive