Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm curious how the game works in offline mode. Is it really just you and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spite posted:

so one thing I haven't seen answered:

what's up with the satanic hacking animation?

It’s a UCS logo that pops up in at least one or two other places, although I couldn’t tell you where if you held a gun to my head because it’s not super common (something in the private room or a background of one of the computer UIs I think)

My SO was like “pentagram what” and then like 30 minutes later “oh there it is, hunh”

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Heh most of the NPCs are wearing Santa hats now.

Also I just beat the first boss, what a joke. I guess it’s supposed to be a tutorial on fighting them?

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm curious how the game works in offline mode. Is it really just you and nothing else.

There are some NPC structures and signs but I assume they get less frequent as you go further West.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

WaltherFeng posted:

It's just you and the NPC stuff. Like you see some of early on that's specifically to introduce you to each new building that you can use/building. I think it's coloured in blue names.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Heh most of the NPCs are wearing Santa hats now.

Also I just beat the first boss, what a joke. I guess it’s supposed to be a tutorial on fighting them?

There are some NPC structures and signs but I assume they get less frequent as you go further West.

PancakeTransmission posted:

It's just you and the NPC stuff. Like you see some of early on that's specifically to introduce you to each new building that you can use/building. I think it's coloured in blue names.

I really wonder how chapter 9+ go given the emphasis on other Sams throwing you poo poo during the boss fights and the final hike east with no ability to print or build

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any particularly good rewards from specific preppers/cities I should prioritize getting?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would say the key ones that take a little work are South Distro for trucks and the Cosplayer for utility/grenade/ammo pouches

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RatHat posted:

Any particularly good rewards from specific preppers/cities I should prioritize getting?

get the harmonica from the musician. bb loves the harmonica.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

RatHat posted:

The Chiral Artist's mom gives you Chiral Boots.

Doctor gives you double-size blood bags.

Waystation north of Mountain Knot gives you armor plate which makes the already easy shooting segments an absolute breeze.

Distro Center North of Mountain Knot gives you the Lv. 2 and 3 backup battery for your backpack.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Extra note for the Chiral boots, if you run a zipline between her and the Junk Dealer you'll never need boots again. The Junk Dealer always has a delivery for her, which means you can get a bunch of spare pairs and lock them away for later. They last a ridiculous amount of time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Holy poo poo lol apparently Sam can have blood in his urine which gives you EX +1 grenades.

I've never seen this before and this is my 2nd playthrough.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

WaltherFeng posted:

Holy poo poo lol apparently Sam can have blood in his urine which gives you EX +1 grenades.

Too much monster?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

Uncle Rhabdo strikes again

Katamari Democracy posted:

Too much monster?

Honestly if it's what I think it is, my guess would be it's not blood but rhabdomyolysis, aka "your muscles have broken down enough that you are now pissing them out", a not-uncommon thing with high intensity training-- my guess would be if you take more than 1 or 2 bars of permanent stamina damage before resting this is the result

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly if it's what I think it is, my guess would be it's not blood but rhabdomyolysis, aka "your muscles have broken down enough that you are now pissing them out", a not-uncommon thing with high intensity training-- my guess would be if you take more than 1 or 2 bars of permanent stamina damage before resting this is the result

It would shock me if this was the case.

I would really love to replay this game offline. But I would hate my effort for platinum. So I am kinda at a cross roads.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Katamari Democracy posted:

It would shock me if this was the case.

I would really love to replay this game offline. But I would hate my effort for platinum. So I am kinda at a cross roads.

I looked it up, and of course-- EX 1 and EX 2 grenades are from going #1 and #2. Because of course they are.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Beat it :toot:

Great game, I was really satisfied and I hope like BotW other open world devs take a real hard look at this, cause a lot of poo poo in here could be great for wider use.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow the power skeleton and bola gun are real game changers. They almost feel like cheating.

Also holy poo poo making roads give you a shitton of likes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Uncle Rhabdo strikes again

I think this is correct because it happened to me after a series of long deliveries and I was too stubborn to rest so I ended up with 90 % of my max stamina gone.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

Wow the power skeleton and bola gun are real game changers. They almost feel like cheating.

Also holy poo poo making roads give you a shitton of likes.

You havent seen anything yet :getin:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was at half stamina after like barely any sprinting and resting every other mission and then i realized i was really high and that was my shoe gauge

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wow. I just realized how shifting your weight left and right works.

You don't hold the button, instead you tap the left or right trigger rapidly and Sam recovers his posture super fast.

Not sure if this is an intended feature.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Is there a way to check your overall porter grade again after you beat the game? Like see that screen with the info again but current.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

night slime posted:

Is there a way to check your overall porter grade again after you beat the game? Like see that screen with the info again but current.
Open the Bridge Links menu and press X on your name.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since Pee and Poop grenades are way better than Sweat is there any reason to ever take a shower after the tutorial?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RatHat posted:

Since Pee and Poop grenades are way better than Sweat is there any reason to ever take a shower after the tutorial?

Yeah, your boy Sam needs to be not covered in Tar to look his very best.

Always clean your Sam

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, your boy Sam needs to be not covered in Tar to look his very best.

Always clean your Sam

Ok I'm now determined to never take a shower and have a very filthy boy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How does sam take a poo poo without peeing, what kind of muscle control does he have

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Danaru posted:

How does sam take a poo poo without peeing, what kind of muscle control does he have

The Great Deliverer

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Danaru posted:

Snackmar posted:

The Great Deliverer

:perfect:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Just finished. Fun but extremely flawed, some cool ideas but as a game?... Not sure. Still think Kojima peaked with MGS3, and this move to open world has cost him some of the tight narrative control that was such a strength in his earlier work (I had the same criticism of phantom pain). DS's pacing is all over the place, and the delivery mechanics didn't lend themselves well to the combat sections.

Very big ending spoilers:

So Sam is MM's BB, cool. What is the BB you're carrying around then? Are there lots all about the place? It kind of implied that you were taking one to edge knot and that each city needs one for the network to function, so Sam's cool with that? Seems to contradict the ending where Lou is freed. I don't know, fun plot but messy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I tried what the Ex 1+ grenades do and apparently they have a massive AoE effect that freaks out all the BTs close enough which gives you enough time to slip through.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
People seem really confused about the BB for some reason. Lou is just a random BB. Where she came from or whatever is irrelevant. Lou effectively becomes Sam's child over the course of the game, the BB used to power Edge Knot's network or whatever isn't important to him

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

People seem really confused about the BB for some reason. Lou is just a random BB. Where she came from or whatever is irrelevant. Lou effectively becomes Sam's child over the course of the game, the BB used to power Edge Knot's network or whatever isn't important to him

I think its because at the beginning of the game Deadman starts talking about how BBs service record can't be accessed, and she's the only one. So you end up thinking she's a special and important BB compared to the rest out there. There ends up being nothing from that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Romes128 posted:

I think its because at the beginning of the game Deadman starts talking about how BBs service record can't be accessed, and she's the only one. So you end up thinking she's a special and important BB compared to the rest out there. There ends up being nothing from that.

Death Stranding Twooo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RatHat posted:

Ok I'm now determined to never take a shower and have a very filthy boy.

You’re going to get a stinky agent penalty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Chiral artist is easily the worst part of this game.

That lake seems like a good place to hide a body.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I thought "why couldn't Kojima lust after a model fluent in English" but last time that happened she didn't speak at all

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Seriously troubling loli vibes in that bit lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Romes128 posted:

Well yeah, that's part of the twist. The reasons for BB's records not being able to be accessed doesn't matter and probably aren't anything special anyway

WaltherFeng posted:

Chiral artist is easily the worst part of this game.

That lake seems like a good place to hide a body.

Out of everything in Death Stranding, the chiral artist is far and away the weirdest loving thing in the entire game. I absolutely hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Romes128 posted:

I have a theory on why that red herring exists. There's a post-game email from Die-Hardman that says he realized Sam was having visions of Cliff as soon as Sam reported the memory-bleed effect. So I think he could've wiped BB-28's records to create a mystery for Deadman and Sam to stay focused on without ever considering Sam's own past as a possibility.