Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mindhunter S2 is really good so far, about halfway through.

Also rewatching Lost in Space and it's more action packed but a little dumber than I remember, still love it though.

Expanse S4 is fantastic so far, just a few episodes in.

I don't really binge so it takes me a little bit to get through shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Watched the first two eps of The Witcher. Not bad so far. Cavill seems a little stiff, but you can tell from things like his talk with Roach and punching Dandelion that it's all a front we haven't really seen crack yet.

Other that that, if you didn't know the title of the show and who is top billed, you would think this show is about Ciri and Geralt is just a supporting character. Not a complaint, just an observation.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wormil posted:

Mindhunter S2 is really good so far, about halfway through.

Also rewatching Lost in Space and it's more action packed but a little dumber than I remember, still love it though.

Expanse S4 is fantastic so far, just a few episodes in.

I don't really binge so it takes me a little bit to get through shows.

Mindhunter good, Lost in Space good. Good media diet mix of bleakly fascinating murder-men and a mawkish 90's-ish sf show with a 2018 effects budget.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are they going to make another season of Lost in Space? There was a lot I didn’t like but I thought it was a fun formula and wanted to see them get better

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fallom posted:

Are they going to make another season of Lost in Space? There was a lot I didn’t like but I thought it was a fun formula and wanted to see them get better

Comes out next week!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hell yeah

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fallom posted:

At the end of season 1 some text says something to the effect of, "there's a season 2 coming," which kinda cheered me up at the time, since it's kind of an optimistic, yet dark show, yet family-friendly to an almost "Hallmark" extent, and not real prestige TV. Maybe not even very good TV. But there's something I like about it.

Medullah posted:

Comes out next week!

yay!

soundtrack can be streamed too: https://aclibrary.freegalmusic.com/home/featured/albums/780163556926/2

(this is my library's free-ad-free streaming, it's probably on the usual places as well)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 21, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I watched a out a third of the first episode of The Witcher, and so far Henry Cavill is perfect as game Geralt. This includes how he responds to a lot of people with "hm".

Also, female nudity within that same time span.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just finished 6 Underground and it's pretty much what I expected, a fun action movie with music video editing, bad cgi, and lots of explosions. I'm down for a sequel. My biggest disappointment is that they pretty much forgot about 5, the brunette chick. Her scenes are more like cameos than part of the story.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
What does it say about our society that science fiction is making a comeback? I’m quite happy. Especially if they start using more quality source material.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Speaking of Sci-Fi - I need a new show to stream in the background while I paint miniatures. Any recommendations? It should be something that doesn't require too much attention, and preferably has a ton of episodes. I've worked my way through every season of Star Trek and Stargate.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Class Warcraft posted:

Speaking of Sci-Fi - I need a new show

Amazon has 3 of 4 seasons of Defiance.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Defiance was cool but I never saw the last season. Did it get a good ending?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pahuyuth posted:

Defiance was cool but I never saw the last season. Did it get a good ending?

Yeah, it did.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cool, I'll give it a shot.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Did Witcher have all its money spent on Cavill's fee and CGI? This poo poo looks like a modern version of those syndicated shows from the 90's.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Disposable Scud posted:

Did Witcher have all its money spent on Cavill's fee and CGI? This poo poo looks like a modern version of those syndicated shows from the 90's.

It gets better a few episodes in. It's pretty slow to start.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I’ve watched the first four episodes and am finding it much better than I thought it would be. Episode three in particular was really good. I am actually enjoying the “monster of the week vibe” of Geralt’s sections. I wish they were a bit more clear that we are seeing several different time lines. It only became clear part way through episode 4 when everything was taking place. I do agree that it takes a little bit to get used to the look of the show. It feels like it’s 90% done on green screen as so many of the backgrounds have that budget blurry CG look but by the end of episode 1 it stopped bothering me.

I also appreciate the “show not tell” story telling they are doing. They seem uninterested in having lengthy exposition dumps explaining how the world works.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Ok I just finished "Don't gently caress With Cats" and there's one piece of information that seems really important that the documentary shows and then completely ignores.

The final episode brings up the idea that Luka has been forced into killing by a mysterious person named Manny. One piece of evidence supporting this is another person's hands petting a cat in one of the killing videos. The group of internet detectives even talks about analyzing each video frame by frame but never mentions another person being present in any of the videos. The doc ends with the police saying nothing shows that anyone else was involved in the killings. Uh, someone else was present for one though, right? I guess it's very possible that the owner of the big snake was there for that video. Maybe he just knew a creep who was fine feeding his snake a kitten.

Anyone follow this case and know anything about it? If they're analyzing a wolf blanket and a wall poster there's no way they didn't obsess over this, right?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Also Jesus Christ, that framed picture of him and his mom that is also her desktop background. That thing is nightmarish.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Class Warcraft posted:

Speaking of Sci-Fi - I need a new show to stream in the background while I paint miniatures. Any recommendations? It should be something that doesn't require too much attention, and preferably has a ton of episodes. I've worked my way through every season of Star Trek and Stargate.

Farscape

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tainen posted:

I wish they were a bit more clear that we are seeing several different time lines. It only became clear part way through episode 4 when everything was taking place.

I agree. I didn't even realize that until I read an episode summary as I was a little confused by something that happened, and they pointed out the different time lines. Apparently we are supposed to pick it up from when they talk about who is ruling what kingdom at the time.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Will I be completely lost with Witcher if I've never played the games?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mirror123 posted:

Will I be completely lost with Witcher if I've never played the games?

They are based on the books not the games, so it's self-contained.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They are based on the books not the games, so it's self-contained.

That's good to hear, thanks. I feel so uncultured now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watching Mindhunter makes me feel sorry for Anna Torv, not only is her character dumbed down this season but in every scene she looks like it's the worst day of her life. In ep4 I started FF through her personal scenes. The new boss is another energy vampire.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Class Warcraft posted:

Speaking of Sci-Fi - I need a new show to stream in the background while I paint miniatures. Any recommendations?

Quantum Leap

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Quantum Leap

If you haven't seen Quantum Leap, watch Quantum Leap, I don't even know if this guy is joking.

I passed over Quantum Leap at first, I just wish there were some way for me to time travel within my own lifetime to right that wrong

E but also Farscape, Amazon prime

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Quantum Leap

Sliders.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They should've done a crossover

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really loved The Witcher

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think it's really about animals being uniquely attractive to human empathy, so much as that we're routinely taught to devalue and dehumanize other people. It's just misanthropy recast into a superficially positive form.
Yeah. People are lazy and misanthropic. Human relationships actually require emotional intelligence and effort, whereas you just give a cat or dog regular food and water and they'll love you almost forever. I love my dogs but it's easy to see that say, most white people care about doggies more than brown children.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Animals trigger the same chemical responses in our brains as if they were children, I posted a link above to the science. Really I believe a lot of the handwringing over bad things that happen to strangers is for show. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day, many violently, if we actually felt empathy for all people we'd be emotionally crippled with grief.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea it was about Luka Magnotta because killing cats is way WAY low on the list of what he's infamous for.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

In TV's new Golden Age, I'm honestly surprised there's no new Sliders coming to somebody's streaming service.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

wormil posted:

Animals trigger the same chemical responses in our brains as if they were children, I posted a link above to the science. Really I believe a lot of the handwringing over bad things that happen to strangers is for show. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day, many violently, if we actually felt empathy for all people we'd be emotionally crippled with grief.

pigs are just as cute and cuddily as puppies and kittens and arguably have more "personality" than them but we confine millions to body-sized cages all their lives and slaughter them without batting an eye. it's not about how cute something is, it's about how effectively we've normalized whatever atrocity we're committing against them.

if baby yodas existed and tasted okay on a burger, we'd absorb their race into the existing meatpacking industry immediately.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

God Hole posted:

pigs are just as cute and cuddily as puppies and kittens and arguably have more "personality" than them but we confine millions to body-sized cages all their lives and slaughter them without batting an eye. it's not about how cute something is, it's about how effectively we've normalized whatever atrocity we're committing against them.

if baby yodas existed and tasted okay on a burger, we'd absorb their race into the existing meatpacking industry immediately.

There is a difference between mentally disturbed and normalizing cruelty. I agree that food animals are often raised inhumanely and their living conditions cruel. I would say one difference is intent ... chicken farmers don't keep chickens in tiny cages because they enjoy the cruelty but because it is cheap and there is no outrage because the public isn't worried what chicken farmers might do to ordinary people. Not everyone accepts that the inhumane treatment of food animals is normal but change requires money and willpower and there is a lot of competition for those. I've been to an egg farm and it's revolting, the smell made me retch. If everyone could go once then change would happen. But a guy who delights in torturing cats is mentally disturbed and dangerous and the discussion started with why Twitter was more agitated over the cat torture than killing humans which I believe is subtly different than the issue of food animals.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Jolo posted:

Ok I just finished "Don't gently caress With Cats" and there's one piece of information that seems really important that the documentary shows and then completely ignores.

The final episode brings up the idea that Luka has been forced into killing by a mysterious person named Manny. One piece of evidence supporting this is another person's hands petting a cat in one of the killing videos. The group of internet detectives even talks about analyzing each video frame by frame but never mentions another person being present in any of the videos. The doc ends with the police saying nothing shows that anyone else was involved in the killings. Uh, someone else was present for one though, right? I guess it's very possible that the owner of the big snake was there for that video. Maybe he just knew a creep who was fine feeding his snake a kitten.

Anyone follow this case and know anything about it? If they're analyzing a wolf blanket and a wall poster there's no way they didn't obsess over this, right?

Would it matter? It's obvious Canadian police give less than two shits about animal torture.

Which is why it outrages people more than when a human being is murdered (besides the other reasons described on this page). If you video tape yourself torturing and killing a person, you get life in prison. If you do it to a cat or a dog, you get a bunch of police officers scratching their asses. The injustice is what gets people so angry (besides the innocence of the cute animal).

A lot of outrage against animal abusers would be gone overnight if the perpetrators ever served more than 0-3 months for their crimes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I hate almost all the characters in The Expanse, also it's better than Game of Thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just finished Don’t gently caress With Cats and it was probably the strangest experience ever, vacillating between being horrified by Luka and laughing at the two internet nerds’ self-importance.